Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

justboy68

It's probably just a matter of trying to work out something between the club, Ten Hag and Bayern to minimize any payoff as much as possible, or even trying to get a few quid out of them. Either way I reckon we'll be hearing something in a couple of days.

adkb

Nothing is remotely in place right now. It’s damage limitation and clubs do it all the time. We literally played a team last night that moved on from their manager a few weeks ago, hired a new one and got much better.

I don’t know why people have convinced themselves it is some elaborate, long process that you need to plan for meticulously and the only other option is to just carry on with your terrible underperforming coach.
Mainly because there are like 5 games left. One very important game. The future of a great club where a new manager needs to come in at the right time and space. Not in the middle of a shitshow at the fag end of the season.

There are so many things wrong with expecting to sack a manager in the situation that we are. People are just desperate i feel.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Mainly because there are like 5 games left. One very important game. The future of a great club where a new manager needs to come in at the right time and space. Not in the middle of a shitshow at the fag end of the season.

There are so many things wrong with expecting to sack a manager in the situation that we are. People are just desperate i feel.
There are 4 games left and the way we are playing we could be exposed to a historical defeat in the FA Cup final with this man in charge.

We obviously won’t go for a long term option instantly, we will leave that for Summer.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Nothing is remotely in place right now. It’s damage limitation and clubs do it all the time. We literally played a team last night that moved on from their manager a few weeks ago, hired a new one and got much better.

I don’t know why people have convinced themselves it is some elaborate, long process that you need to plan for meticulously and the only other option is to just carry on with your terrible underperforming coach.
Well said. It’s only happens to us that we can’t even think of sacking a manager because “it’s not a video game”. What does it even mean? So how do you sack a terribly underperforming manager? or should you sack him at all? And continue with the absolute shit show because it’s not a video game, eh?

Godfather

We better hear some noise on him getting the sack today. There's no way INEOS can be as passive.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
With Bayern sniffing around, he ain't getting sacked, no chance.
You'd hope negotiations for his release or handover are well underway. I believe we're bound by some kind of financial consequence, which is the one and only reason why he's still here.

If there's a matter of millions determining when he's moved on, then he's likely not going anywhere until the payout is the lowest it can be. But honestly, at what cost? The club is being tanked and morale between players and supporters is plummeting. INEOS are then also sending out a concerning message for our future in their hands.

By the way, do you want Poch to get another season or for him to be replaced? Genuine question. I would have had the tables turned if ten Hag had shown anything, but Poch is starting to get a tune out of Chelsea - something to be optimistic about at least?

Godfather

Put a fecking interim in charge to give that team a little bit of lift before the final as everyone is obviously done with that manager. We can't just sit back and watch that man embarrass us week after week.

kaku06

Vulgarian

You reckon it’s an absolute shitshow but don’t realise you can’t continue with this shitshow? One of the 5 games is an FA cup final against your local rivals, please tell me how do you see that final going if you don’t take an action right now? Let the shitshow continue and get humiliated in the final? And right after that we sack him.

Telsim

Yeah, he has been here for 2 years now, and yeah, he has spent a truckload of money, just to be finishing last in the Champions League group, and 8th in the Premier League, drawing Burnley at home and losing 4:0 to Crystal Palace away.

But who cares? If only it wasn’t for this meddling club, he would be at Bayern Munich winning the treble… nay, quadruple even! Two years in a row! A feat befitting his beyond world class ability as manager. I have seen the light now, he is truly elite, the best manager of the past decade. This club should be eternally grateful for having basked in his divine light. I’m sure that once he goes to Germany this summer, he will achieve all of this… and more!

Godfather

The 7-0 was a huge sign already. Then our final games of last season where we played like shit. His final nail in the coffin should have been that humiliating CL campaign. But we decided to hang on and hang on and hang on to a manager that is simply and quite obviously not good enough. Only at United..

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We still have 3 league games left and although we are unlikely to gather enough points to get even to an EL spot, it’s still important to try and save face. Besides that, we have the FA Cup final coming up and forget about winning it as we almost certainly won’t get close regardless of who’s in charge, we actually run the risk of historical embarrassment with this fool in charge. Would it actually surprise anyone to see City win 7-0 or 8-0 if they have their shooting boots on? They will definitely create enough chances to score 7-8, of that there is no doubt because we have already seen them do that against us twice this season, and we are even worse now than we were back then.

If INEOS are OK with that then my hopes for their reign are even lower than they already were.
Which is why these ritual humiliations need to end.

Arsenal are flying, and goal difference is very important this season. We could genuinely have 8 put past us if they are up for the game. I'd like to say that's an exaggeration, but look at us, and look at how easily we give up goals in bunches, then consider Arsenal's style of play, which is to have their best players occupying that 'sweet spot' in midfield that we leave acres of space in. It's a recipe for disaster.

Howe outcoaches ten Hag with ease and was one of the first to put on full display how to rip us to shreds. With this lowered morale (players have had enough) and their appetite for battering us, that could easily be another massive defeat.

I don't want to even mention Pep as that scoreline could go into the annuls of time if he fires his bots up enough.

Our situation is beyond dire now. We're rightly being called out as worst coached in the entire league. Pound for pound, it is unquestionably so. This is a new nadir for the club and the plug needs pulling ASAP.

stevoc

Man Utd fans have short memories. We sack Tim Hag and we are back to where we were with Ragnick.

This season has been terrible but the unprecedented injuries have played a massive part in that. Regardless of the injuries the media, pundits and rival fans are feasting over the clubs failures and our pathetic fans are buying into their glee and condemnation of our club and manager..

Our failures, not just this season but over the last decade are 100% at the foot of our owners, not Tim Hag who has had to work with utter incompetence across the club since he arrived.

The Glazers will be sitting back tonight probably not overly disappointed with Utd losing 4-0 but probably slightly relieved again that our cesspit of a fanbase will buy into the media slaughtering our manager and our club without pointing the finger of blame at the clear reason why we are where we are. .

I may be in the increasing minority here but I'm also a Utd fan of nearly 50 years and I'm dismayed by the kneejerk, impatience and fickle fanbase who once were revered and respected across the football fraternity but who have become almost as poisonous as the Glazers themselves . It certainly doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that a manager who inherited a shambles of a club has still been able to get the club to 3 domestic Cup Finals in his first 2 years, something Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson didn't come close to achieve.

Give the current Manager your support and back him. We are better than this as a fanbase.
Leave Tim alone.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
WOW. People now sayng INEOS are incompetent for letting him on?

People really think its exactly the same as playing a video game where you sack a manager, get a new one and everything just falls in place.
What in the land of straw men are you talking about? 'People' are living in the real world where a spent workforce turns into a toxic environment really, really quickly.

Ten Hag has gone into self-preservation mode, pointing the finger at players and situations and advertently dragging morale even farther into the depths. We are in crisis. Nobody is talking in line with your fantastical last paragraph.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
ETH blames Mainoo indirectly in the last few seconds of the video for conceding the goal from the throw in.

This is absolutely wrong.
So he and his coaches don't take any of the blame, it's all the players fault for not following the script.
Is part of the script intense training that reduces his squad to half fit and walking wounded players?

I can sympathise with the injury crisis but I don’t agree with this. I don’t care how bad the injury crisis is you shouldn’t be losing 4-0 to CP

Devil81

You want to watch these twats twice a week?!
I want a better manager/coach in charge of the team, its clear they've lost faith in him.

Some of these players form has completely fallen off a cliff, that has to be the management.

E-mal

My ribs are sore reading this thread!

People holding up spit the dog as a bastion of wisdom, he’s so bitter we derailed their end of season parade he nearly unzipped at full time.

Sakes

We lost a game, badly. Calibrate your histrionics and outrage against what’s going on in the Ukraine and Gaza.

Some of you need to get a grip!
What a stupid post, learn to read the room.
How’s been outraged about Gaza and Ukraine related to football fans being angry at how their team has played all year? A moronic post

Sarni

Leave Tim alone.
Defies belief that people still come up with that sort of drivel. How has our fanbase been collectively brainwashed into this **** of a manager, protecting him at all cost, I will never know.

Godfather

I can sympathise with the injury crisis but I don’t agree with this. I don’t care how bad the injury crisis is you shouldn’t be losing 4-0 to CP

It's also bullshit. We had AWB and Dalot starting. Yes our CB situation is bad but hardly something to excuse a 4-0 humiliation. Also how much of that shortage is self made? How and why are these constant injuries happening? Why did we let go of Regulion? Why did we not bring in a new RB?

justsomebloke

Who's to say. Previously, people blamed the internal structure of the club. Now its a dysfunctional footballing system set up by ETH.

As fans, we really have no clue. None of us have ever worked in a football club or one that would be a benchmark or managed one. Then its almost impossible to tell from the outside.
Er, no, it really isn't. Our system is plainly visible. And it keeps delivering the same outcomes - lots of goals against, we've had the worst xGA in the league other than Sheffield United for a long while (and are now 16th by that measure), absurd amounts of shots against and oppo touches in our box. And it is easy and pretty straightforward to see how those come about as a result of our style of play. That is not a kneejerk reaction.
Also, the fact that different people have had different views at different times is neither here nor there. We're not a collective organism.

justsomebloke

It's also bullshit. We had AWB and Dalot starting. Yes our CB situation is bad but hardly something to excuse a 4-0 humiliation. Also how much of that shortage is self made? How and why are these constant injuries happening? Why did we let go of Regulion? Why did we not bring in a new RB?
I wish he would just do himself a favor and shut up. I'm so fed up with his bullshitting, every time he speaks now he just digs a deeper grave for his credibility.

Sarni

It also absolutely was not a one off game performance driven by injuries. It was a performance we had put in multiple times prior, with healthy CBs and a defensive lineup full of internationals. Even with the savior, world class, best ever defender Martinez. Palace just took their chances.

yorkshire red

It’s one of my biggest pet hates in football but whatever happens in regards to ten Haag moving forwards we need to stop reacting to what’s happening around us and be confident enough to set out our philosophy and stick to it, it’s almost as if we see Liverpool and city having ball playing keepers so we demand one (forgetting their keepers are actually decent shot stoppers as well) I’ve seen in the Bruno thread before complaints about how we need a different number 10 to give more control ‘because other teams may have it ‘ how about we are confident enough to set out our own style of football without copying what everyone else does, look at the 2010s Barca seemed to have to perfect style of football , before Bayern, Dortmund came along and had great initial success before other teams adapted and the cycle goes on, the best teams implement their own style of play don't copy what’s already been done, we are never going to complete trying to play a carbon copy of peps city team, nobody can match him for that style especially with the resources they have , so whatever happens in regards to a new manager/ten Haag moving forwards we need to set a blue print out for how are going to play and make sure our recruitment team stick to that regardless of who the manager is , otherwise we end up with we we have at the minute where half the team want to play short quick passes and the others are more physical but can’t keep the ball under the slightest bit of pressure!!!

Godfather

It also absolutely was not a one off game performance driven by injuries. It was a performance we had put in multiple times prior, with healthy CBs and a defensive lineup full of internationals. Even with the savior, world class, best ever defender Martinez. Palace just took their chances.
Exactly. Results are starting to fit the performances. We have had our fair share of luck under EtH but these performances were always going to catch up with us sooner or later. This was never sustainable.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Sheffield United are genuinely the only other team you could say are coached worse than us. It's sheer madness.
Not a single team in the PL is coached or managed worse than us. This was the absolute worst I’ve seen us in the 45 years I’ve followed us. If ETH still has a job at the end of this week, I’d be both very surprised and dissapointed.

Beckham77

We desperately need a lift in these next 4 games and that can only be achieved by ditching Erik. If we go into those 4 games with him, I fully expect us to be mauled in every single one against 4 very good sides.

He is completely incapable at present of setting up the side. Injuries are an obvious factor, but to have that backline last night and give them no protection in front is absolute negligence. Instructing Eriksen & Mainoo to push so high and leaving a paceless defence at the mercy of Olise & co is absolutely mind boggling.

I'm no fan of Amrabat, but he offers more than present day Eriksen and should be starting right now.

Kostov

He talks like someone who wants to join Bayern and save himself from the debacle he himself created. Let him go, maybe he can convince Bayern to buy the pile of shit he bought himself. Antony, Onana and Casemiro for a 200m combo deal.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
It really isn’t even about sacking the manager simply for the performances though.

Ineos, and the fans, are talking about a clear out of players and major changes this Summer. A large number of the players needing to go were chosen by Ten Hag.

Should Ineos put themselves in the position of letting him choose again? Should they risk major spending overhaul on someone they didn’t hire and are, at best, skeptical about in the long term?

And if you aren’t going to rebuild with players that fit ETH…. Then why have him managing the team?

It doesn’t make sense from any direction really.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What's with the copium that the 7-0 was a freak result? ETH set the whole team up wrongly from the get go and every vulnerability was exposed

stevoc

If we were any sort of serious club he would be sacked today. This season isn't all his fault, last night wan't even all his fault. But after this clusterfeck of a season culminating in a such a dogshit crescendo last night, someone has to happen to send a message.

Ultimately it's Ten Hags responsibility and he has to be the one who loses his job.

padzilla

Hipster
Let's be honest, Ineos is sticking with him. If they weren't he would be gone by now. It's almost as if the Glazers are still calling the shots.

Tosicsleftpeg

The more I think about it the more I can't believe the system we played last night. So so exposed in every single position even with personnel playing in the wrong position we decided to go gung ho.

Amrabat made a difference when he came on even though it was a small one, he worked hard and actually tried to tackle. It doesn't take a world class coach to realise that In an away game with lots of injuries your kneed to put your combative players on who will at least compete.

We have massive issues in the team but he is just not doing the basic things correctly like setting the team up to succeed. Having eriksen and mainoo as you defensive base is crazy, neither of them can do it. I'm not saying our squad is up to much but try your best to be hard to beat at least! Infuriating to see, at least if we start ok the confidence goes up and we don't end up going down 4-0.

ElDiabloRojo

Not a single team in the PL is coached or managed worse than us. This was the absolute worst I’ve seen us in the 45 years I’ve followed us. If ETH still has a job at the end of this week, I’d be both very surprised and dissapointed.
Can they afford to sack him?

If it wasn't for FFP maybe he would have been put out of his misery months ago.

We can hope Bayern come calling but that means ETH staying till the seasons ends.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Look forward to this interim manager. He is going to miraculously return Martinez and Shaw to full fitness, return Rashford's state of mind and wind back the click 5 years on Casemiro's and Erikson's legs. In 3 games no less. Hallelujah.