Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

justboy68

Doing it directly at the same time probably yes, at least I can't remember anything like it. In the space of a few weeks yes - Hoffenheim and Stuttgart did it last season. Both were fighting against relegation, now Stuttgart is already qualified for the CL and fighting Bayern for 2nd place, and Hoffenheim still is in the mix to qualify for EL/ECL.
That's interesting. Shows that sometimes a change can really benefit all parties involved.

Fallon d'Floor

Was interesting point on Talksport this morning, yes there is sometimes, about if there was an cup final tomorrow some of the injuries we have would miraculously disappear. That some of those players just don't fancy it. Goldbridge has just been on and yes he was still sticking up for ETH, but I agreed with him that if they do get a new manager nothing will change unless they weed out some of the players as well. You think about the type of characters we used to have, Irwin, Keane, Bruce, Pallister etc and compare them to the weak willed ones we have now.
I don't know what's worse, that Talksport still exists or that Goldbridge has a slot on it.

There has already been a huge overhaul of players from the end of Solskjaer's reign and the Rangnick spell.

Sold/Released:

De Gea
Henderson
Grant
Jones
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Telles
Matić
Garner
Pogba
Fred
Andreas
Lingard
Chong
Elanga
Ronaldo
Cavani

Out on loan:

Williams
van de Beek
Hannibal
Pellistri
Sancho
Greenwood

Any of the six players above could be sold this summer.

The reality is that ten Hag's signings haven't offered enough value for money and he hasn't gotten the best out of players he inherited. Dalot has been the only player who has improved and sustained a reasonable level under him.

This is largely ten Hag's squad.

Onana
Bayındır
Malacia
Lisandro
Evans
Casemiro
Amrabat
Eriksen
Mount
Antony
Højlund

Kambwala, Mainoo and Garnacho were all promoted to the 1st team, which gives a total of 14 new additions to the squad.

We've had Reguilón, Sabizter and Weghorst on short term loans.

Eddy_JukeZ

Mate, we're comparing who is worse coached, SU who are bottom of the league and have conceded 100 goals or, the current Manchester United manager. Does it really matter? :lol:

Imo, SU are worse coached than us. Only by virtue of them being slightly more terribly coached.
We've hit rock bottom truly :lol:

Shark

@NotShark

and we played this against Wolfsburg with 3 midfielders in the defence in Champions League and won 3-1 - Owen hattrick
Remember it well. Really don't get this notion that because you have injuries at the back, you can't still impose yourself and score goals. Against Crystal Palace no less.

fe33er

I think at this point you have to assume that we are fecked financially and can’t move on at all. That’s the only logical reason for him to still be United manager
It is the reason you are 100% right. Yet people don’t grasp this.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Remember it well. Really don't get this notion that because you have injuries at the back, you can't still impose yourself and score goals. Against Crystal Palace no less.
Look at the level of talent he had up front though, it's easy to control a game when you have players of Owen, Welbeck, Gibson and Anderson caliber.

Besides he had his left back healthy, ten Hag did not.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Sorry, but I don't think the players are purposefully pulling out of games.
They're unable to feature because they're injured.

fe33er

Does anyone actually know the situation regarding his potential sacking compensation?

For example is it actually substantially less payout if we sack him end of the season versus now?
Can’t sack him in this financial year. July 1st he will go.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Seems like 90% of the Caf want him out now

Wonder if it’s the same 90% who wanted us to hire him?

Either way glad we’re not in charge.
Pretty much 100% of people that fire managers also hired them.

Revan

Assumptionman
Look at the level of talent he had up front though, it's easy to control a game when you have players of Owen, Welbeck, Gibson and Anderson caliber.

Besides he had his left back healthy, ten Hag did not.
He also didn't have calamity Onana. He had...Tomasz Kuszczak.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
it is different in fairness when it is a squad used to winning most weeks, that side last night was never scoring goals or beating Palace.

The most concerning thing is we couldnt set up a side to go out and play for 0-0, from first minute you knew we were conceding goals last night, it was just a matter of when

padzilla

Hipster
I think he is getting to be there at the start of next season as they want to give him a chance under their new structure.

Traub

Does anyone actually know the situation regarding his potential sacking compensation?

For example is it actually substantially less payout if we sack him end of the season versus now?
There seems to have always been a champions league qualification clause which affects compensation. With 5th place still potentially being a champions league place, we probably have to wait to finish below 5th.

Yakuza_devils

Under SAF, we were outplayed by prime Barcelona in two CL finals. It used to hurt badly. Other than these 2 games I can't remember any other games we were being outplayed so badly.

Nowadays, under ETH being outplayed by even Palace is the norm. We are numb and not even surprised with this result. How far we have fallen.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Even if by some miracle we start next season well and this buys him more time, it is just incredibly delusional to think wheels won't fall off just like they have this season. We may delay it but it will happen because he just isn't good enough.

GreatDane

I think he is getting to be there at the start of next season as they want to give him a chance under their new structure.
How managers have ever succeeded in fielding a midfield on the pitch without a proper structure in the boardrooms is beyond me...

Marcus

EtH can only play one way. 433 with pressing attackers come hell or high water. Even the most basic of managers will know by now how to counter this. Is tactical flexibility in-game something beyond this robot? Stick to the script. What the heck is that? This is not a sequential storybook. This is a dynamic football game! Argggh.

Fallon d'Floor

Seems like 90% of the Caf want him out now

Wonder if it’s the same 90% who wanted us to hire him?

Either way glad we’re not in charge.
Nah, there's nothing wrong with anyone who wanted us to hire him in 2022.

I'm one of his biggest critics. He simply hasn't adapted to The PL. He hasn't tried to implement a more controlled approach, which many people wanted .

He's been by far the most disappointing manager out of all the post SAF managers. Most people had hope when he was hired. I wanted us to hire him also.

I was already beginning to question it when we hired him in April 2022. His staunch defence of his sex pest pal, Overmars, didn't sit right with me. I had lost faith in him after we bottled a 2-0 lead vs a struggling Sevilla team. They mauled us is Spain.

spiriticon

This manager gets more leeway and time than any of our past managers ever got, despite being demonstrably worse.

So typical of our club these days. We sack and sack and sack and the guy that brings us a thrashing every week we decide to keep him:houllier:

Yakuza_devils

Let's be honest, Ineos is sticking with him. If they weren't he would be gone by now. It's almost as if the Glazers are still calling the shots.
This is why I like Rangnick. The guy speak without filter. That is the main reason why Murtough and ETH want him out.

Get him back as third party consultant or advisor to identify the changes required at the club including the manager, football structure and etc.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This quote from glasner basically buries ETH...

"It was the fourth game in a row where the other team didn't have 10 shots. This is what we want to do to control the game with a compact defensive shape," he told BBC Sport.
And they still scored 4. Wow, who knew you can be compact and attacking?

Last edited:

Woziak

I don't know what's worse, that Talksport still exists or that Goldbridge has a slot on it.

There has already been a huge overhaul of players from the end of Solskjaer's reign and the Rangnick spell.

Sold/Released:

De Gea
Henderson
Grant
Jones
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Telles
Matić
Garner
Pogba
Fred
Andreas
Lingard
Chong
Elanga
Ronaldo
Cavani

Out on loan:

Williams
van de Beek
Hannibal
Pellistri
Sancho
Greenwood

Any of the six players above could be sold this summer.

The reality is that ten Hag's signings haven't offered enough value for money and he hasn't gotten the best out of players he inherited. Dalot has been the only player who has improved and sustained a reasonable level under him.

This is largely ten Hag's squad.

Onana
Bayındır
Malacia
Lisandro
Evans
Casemiro
Amrabat
Eriksen
Mount
Antony
Højlund

Kambwala, Mainoo and Garnacho were all promoted to the 1st team, which gives a total of 14 new additions to the squad.

We've had Reguilón, Sabizter and Weghorst on short term loans.
Let’s rate his signings;

Onana - 3.5/10 ; Cost CL Football this year
Bayinder - 4/10; Clearly not elite or he would have taken Onana Position
Tyrel Malacia - 3/10 never looked more than a Championship player and clearly too brittle for PL
Lysandro Martinez - 6.5/10 excellent first season but awful second, hardly available and guilty for mistakes when he played
Johnny Evans - 5.5/10 been one of our best CB’s this season when he’s played
Casemiro - 5/10 Very good first season, exceptionally bad second season, legs have gone no resale value and his £18m weekly wages are stinking the place out right now.
C Eriksen - 4/10 Ok first season, huge wages, legs have gone, week mentally
M Mount - 2/10 overpaid for a sick note, gave him number 7 shirt and could have got him free this summer, 1 goal 1 assist and less than 10 appearances
Antony - 0.5/10 Categorically the worst signing in the clubs history, no pace, no sublime skills, no assists, no goals just a short imp who actually believes he’s world class, the absolute worst kind of player, so bad I’d swap Di Maria or Alexis Sanchez even at their age right now for this numpty!
R Hoijlund - 4/10 has shown glimpses of elite ability but looks very undeveloped as an overall 9, can’t hold the ball up, not creative, doesn’t make the right runs in and out of the box and what’s with his weird T rex style runing style, He can be developed but first I’d get Usain Bolt to teach him to run first and you that explosive pace he clearly has, then get RVP in to show him to show up on games, but one to keep with Lysandro all the rest can go!
Amrabat - 3/10 not up to it , but should have been given more chances to play more regularly lucky it only cost a £9m loan fee.

Summary
ETH has actually done something most thought impossible, he’s signed players that are much worse than even David Moyes, I’d take Mata and Feillani over most of those in a heartbeat and now we can say that Moyes was not actually that bad!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You see the problem. Fans want a quick rebuild and won't accept that's not possible. Under the Glazers it wouldn't have happened because they were draining the club of funds. Under INEOS it won't happen because of FFP rules. So we are stuck with our frankenstein squad unless we are willing to swallow the pain of the transition, all while rebuilding our dilapidated facilities and stadium that mirror the state of the squad.

Sure ETH has failed. By the conventions of modern football he has to go. He will probably end up at Bayern and do really well. But his was an impossible job to do in less than five years even if we had the will to see it through rather than screaming for a new sacrificial lamb every two years. That's the real problem.
Yes I think most sane fans realize it’s not a quick fix. I’d rather we build our squad correctly, thinking about what we need than buy a collection of random over priced players. The issue is that I do not believe anymore that ETH is the man to oversee such a rebuild. His tactics don’t cut it and he’s too stubborn to see what’s wrong. If he can’t recognize the main issue and try to address it then he’s clearly not the right man for the job

led_scholes

Why do people still want to keep him till the final?

Do they want us to get embarrassed again by city?

m1tch

Very interesting defence of McLaren from Michael Owen and Scholes.
They've sold it to me.

Sack him and Mitchell van der Gaag today, and have McLaren till the end of the season. Bring in Phelan to help him.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There is no sporting reason to keep him, he should be gone today.