g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

hobbers

He doesn’t deserve to be leading the team out at Wembley and the freakish 1 in 1000 chance of getting another cup title he didn’t contribute to

croadyman

We just MIGHT get a couple of performances out of this rabble if we put interim in charge until summer, however there is no way that INEOS put one in place with only 4 games left. Moyes got sacked and Giggs took reins but that was a couple of weeks earlier.

spiriticon

The frustrating thing here is that nearly all of Ten Hag's reputation comes from a cup run from half a decade ago. So you still have people saying "we know he can't be a bad coach, he reached CL semis". Plenty of players and managers in that same time frame went from being hot prospects to nobodies in football but people still clinging onto that one particular result as proof of him being a good coach, as if that's something set in stone forever. Mourinho was an amazing coach not even that long ago before we hired him.
The stupid thing is that ETH has already specifically come out to say that he won't (or can't) play the football that got his Ajax team famous for that half a season, which is the sole reason why most here wanted him hired.

I'm not sure what the people still supporting him are waiting for, exactly. They will never see what they want to see.

Martin(6)Buchan

If we are that decimated with injuries why has the manager not introduced more academy player's ? What had he to lose, surely it is time's like this to give them a run out.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The stupid thing is that ETH has already specifically come out to say that he won't (or can't) play the football that got his Ajax team famous for that half a season, which is the sole reason why most here wanted him hired.

I'm not sure what the people still supporting him are waiting for, exactly. They will never see what they want to see.
How do you know what those people want to see?

Robbie Boy

It's proof that Erik has failed his number one responsibility and perhaps the primary reason he was acquired at first instance and that's to effectively coach this team.

By his own admission in Neville's interview, he alluded that he was incapable of playing a specific system unless Frenkie De Jong was signed. It's absolutely pathetic that the entire identity of a team would hinge on one signing. If INEOS determine that they want United to play a specific way and hire a manager behind those intentions, Erik's experience shouldn't be used as an example to highlight a flaw in that approach.
It's pretty clear that he can only thrive in literally the perfect environment. He had a brilliant structure doing a-lot of work for him at Ajax, and some top class players coming through the youth system. He was also taking over a team that narrowly missed out on winning the league.

He might do well again elsewhere, but literally only if everything falls perfectly into his lap.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
If we are that decimated with injuries why has the manager not introduced more academy player's ? What had he to lose, surely it is time's like this to give them a run out.
Klopp did that, though he did also play Fabinho at CB when Liverpool had their crisis a few years back.

spiriticon

How do you know what those people want to see?
Those that want to see the football that Ajax played, they will never see that. It's not my words, it's straight from the horse's mouth.

Those that want to see what ETH is cooking with this zero defence kamikaze style, fair play, there's something there to see alright, but it's not very pretty.

fe33er

Agree completely, and while not saying McLaren as an interim, I can't see how it could be much worse.

What surprised me is how highly Owen and Scholes seem to rate McLaren as a coach and how they seem to think that he's having little to no input as a coach under ten Hag.
Imo they know something.

BumFlufferies

Surprised the amount of people that want an interim isn't much higher honestly.

Owen and Scholesy video actually make a lot of sense in that clip, not sure on Steve as the interim, but leave him there and get any other manager in could work too imo

Put it this way, after that result? There's no f in way that he's manager next season.

IRN-BRUno

I can't understand that there's virtually no talk of him being sacked. Yes, there's only a few games left but we still have a lot to play for. In Ratcliffe's first interview he spoke about how important it was to qualify for the CL for FFP reasons. Clearly that's long gone but financially it's important to qualify for Europe and we still have opportunities to do that whilst also winning a trophy. You have to give the team the best possible chance to do so and that's without Ten Hag.

I almost feel sorry for the players at this point, certainly the younger ones. They've been made to look incompetent all season by his tactics, everyone can see how bad we are in nearly every game, you even have coaches and players from opposition sides talking about it. Add in the fallouts with Ronaldo and Sancho (even if he was right), the way De Gea's exit was handled, the Liverpool defeat last year and they've had plenty of opportunities where they could have downed tools before now. If they've finally given up on him then who can really blame them?

NLunited

Who do you put in charge for a few games? And they will have to deal with the injuries as well. Basically we are in deep, deep shiit.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I can't understand that there's virtually no talk of him being sacked. Yes, there's only a few games left but we still have a lot to play for. In Ratcliffe's first interview he spoke about how important it was to qualify for the CL for FFP reasons. Clearly that's long gone but financially it's important to qualify for Europe and we still have opportunities to do that whilst also winning a trophy. You have to give the team the best possible chance to do so and that's without Ten Hag.

I almost feel sorry for the players at this point, certainly the younger ones. They've been made to look incompetent all season by his tactics, everyone can see how bad we are in nearly every game, you even have coaches and players from opposition sides talking about it. Add in the fallouts with Ronaldo and Sancho (even if he was right), the way De Gea's exit was handled, the Liverpool defeat last year and they've had plenty of opportunities where they could have downed tools before now. If they've finally given up on him then who can really blame them?
It was rumoured the other day that it would cost 20m to get rid of him and all his staff. Does that affect FFP and then not getting CL as well.They may just want to bite the bullet and get rid of him for nothing. It might work out alright, but it could go even more horribly wrong.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Not only did it lead to that result, but you cannot keep putting Mainoo in those situations and think its not going to affect him. That kind of thing destroys confidence. And that is what we are doing to our best prosects.
Him putting Wheatley on at 4-0....what was the young lad to do? Suffer through the ignominy of losing to such a score line while Eze was taking the piss out of them.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We just MIGHT get a couple of performances out of this rabble if we put interim in charge until summer, however there is no way that INEOS put one in place with only 4 games left. Moyes got sacked and Giggs took reins but that was a couple of weeks earlier.
I doubt it, this team has horrendous mentality, they're on the beach already. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few lazy red cards so they don't have to finish out the season.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
I think last night cemented that it's better to get rid of him now and bet on a caretaker/interim to get something out of this team than hope he could pull off a miracle. Surely all confidence is completely gone and the players know he's gone in the summer.

He's turned out to be the worst of the post Fergie full time managers. Ole's available, right?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Who do you put in charge for a few games? And they will have to deal with the injuries as well. Basically we are in deep, deep shiit.
At this point it genuinely doesn't matter. We cannot actually get worse than this, and keeping ten Hag for the cup final is rewarding that whilst delaying our ability to actively go for other managers.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
It was rumoured the other day that it would cost 20m to get rid of him and all his staff. Does that affect FFP and then not getting CL as well.They may just want to bite the bullet and get rid of him for nothing. It might work out alright, but it could go even more horribly wrong.
What is the cost differential between sacking him and the Europa/Conference money for next season? I think sacking him would be cheaper than not getting any European football at all.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The most recent talk was it being ~9m to sack him prior to the 25% no-CL pay-cut. I really can't see how the total amount would get close to 20m.

stevoc

Not sure it is even weeding them out, they are in plain sight, sell Rashford, sell Casemiro, let Varane go, get rid of AWB, where is Lindelof and Malacia are they injured or just don't fancy it too much. Sell Sancho, I would even sell the joke of a goalkeeper. Is Shaw worth keeping as injured too often. These younger players need good influences not ones who show complete disrespect to whichever manager is in charge. Oh and I forgot Antony.
So we sell Rashford, get rid of Antony, Casemiro and Varane, sell two squad players who barely play in Lindelof and Malacia.

All our problems are sorted then?

Two of those guys are Ten Hag signings. Two of them are two of the most decorated and experienced players in Europe. Doubt Lindelof is a bad influence.

So it's mostly just Rashford then?

Baxquux

Given where Bayern are right now in their search for a Tuchel replacement, negotiating a smooth divorce and him parachuting into that job without either a pay-out or Bayern paying a release fee would work. For the sake of trying to score a couple of million from Bayern for a 'release', the calculation around holding-off is not great considering how much United would have to pay to just sack him instead ( definitely not 20m, given the CL non-qualification clause that has been mentioned in dispatches, but still likely over 10m if we include staff) and how delay also affects prep for next season.

redcucumber

Carrick was okay for those two games when Ole got canned. Give it McClaren. It genuinely can't be any worse than the slop we are currently serving up.

Wolfbot

How is this guy still our manager ffs?

I could accept not making top four given the injuries and other issues with some of our players. We've now been overtaken by a mediocre Newcastle and rancid Chelsea team (who incidentally look like much better football teams than us) and dropped out of automatic qualification for any European competition, whilst getting absolutely pumped by Crystal Palace.

Absolutely raging that he is still here with no noise of him being removed immediately. We still have a cup final and a European place to play for and this cant is still in place, sending us out to get smashed by limited teams.

Unbelievable.

Lee565

It says something when the both the stats and general census within football is that we are one the worst coached teams in the league but yeah let's give him another season

Rista

Very well debated. Cheers.
There is nothing to debate anymore. The only toxic thing is this embarrassing, blind trust in the manager that no other fanbase has. The sooner we get rid of the manager ****, the better.

Marwood

There was an opportunity last night to get Antony out of the team and get an extra midfielder on the pitch. From the start.

Mount and Garnacho wide and bring Amrabat in to play as a 6.

It won't work miracles but jeez it helps with a couple of major problems. i.e. Antony and being too open in the middle.

croadyman

Surprised the amount of people that want an interim isn't much higher honestly.

Owen and Scholesy video actually make a lot of sense in that clip, not sure on Steve as the interim, but leave him there and get any other manager in could work too imo

Put it this way, after that result? There's no f in way that he's manager next season.
There will always be a swing back to yes as the week goes on and fully expect that again

croadyman

Take any of McClaren/Ole/Rooney/Giggs/Fletcher heck even Keano just to see who could survive

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Very well debated. Cheers.
I wish you well with your sentiment but after a season of 18 defeats, and breaking all kinds of negative records, I can’t agree with you there. The manager doesn’t show the willingness to be adaptable to his circumstances. This has been the biggest shit show season and yet he doubles down. He’s talking himself into getting fired.