Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ok, say Southgate was fundamentally chosen as ETH successor, what can we expect from the waistcoat one ?
Positives and negatives.

AdNani

Didn't the reported best DOF in football try to nurture Gary Neville to become the England boss before he crashed and burned, then elevated Southgate to his current role?
He did not, he said the Valencia job was a good opportunity for him and if he did well it would stand him in good stead for the England job. Obviously Valencia went horribly wrong and he was never going to get the job.

And despite not wanting Southgate at United, he’s hardly been a failure at England has he?

Last edited:

BumFlufferies

List Ten things that might come with a sack:
  1. Marbles
  2. Potatoes
  3. Onions
  4. Rice
  5. Flour
  6. Beans
  7. Sand
  8. Coal
  9. Balls
  10. Erik Ten Hag

r0663664

Worships Man City
There are a lot of managers better than ETH, so why should we keep him? I think at least there are at least 10 managers in the English league better than him. The only excuse that he can use right now is injuries. We likely lose 3 out of the 4 games or 4 out 4, that's how bad this team is. I have never thought United would be this bad. ETH takes the fun out of football with his personality and football philosophy, it is simply amazing that spend $400 million and we are playing shit football. It almost seems nobody in United cares now, we are just going through motions of playing a game without the motivation to win.

Zed 101

Ok, say Southgate was fundamentally chosen as ETH successor, what can we expect from the waistcoat one ?
Positives and negatives.
I sincerely hope that it is not Southgate, however:

Positives
Defensive stability and cover for the back 4
No nonsense football
Group harmony

Negatives
No dynamism
Unadventurous football

Overall if we get Southgate, I would expect a better season that this, I think the shots on goal drop dramatically and we are less likely to get drubbed, I think Hoijlund will thrive in a system that actually supports a striker, and I think Rashford will improve at least for one season, honest prediction on the assumption that it is Southgate and that we make some reasonable steps in terms of ins and outs, we are looking 3rd-5th in the table, I expect Liverpool to have a shoddy season, so 3rd is realistically there for the asking for anywhere near a decent team

Laurencio

Positives and negatives.
The good
Good defensive structure, a better atmosphere, better cooperation between various parts of the club, media will love him, a clear outline of a playing style - probably with roots from England DNA.

The bad
Mostly uninspired tactics, but stable performances towards top 4 finishes, disappointing cup finals - at least on current evidence, and overly cautious decisionmaking. Unlikely to lead to dominance or consistent title challenges.

I think he would do rather well all things considered. The thing he is rather good at, stability, culture building and cross department cooperation towards a shared vision, is pretty much what we need to be good at for a few years moving forward.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Maybe with all the chaos that's been going on with United post SAF, pragmatism is maybe the way to set off this transitional phase.

You'll get 0 drama from Southgate. You'd potentially get stability. Definitely get a good squad harmony.
By all accounts, he's a straight talker with players so mentally the players largely know where the stand with him.

Yeah, it'll probably be all rather nice and bland but Uniteds reputation has been in the gutter for so long now and the club really needs to settle down and try to be less of a circus on and off the pitch.

He’s not my first choice but I can see why Southgate would be a candidate for INEOS in this period of transition for the club.

hobbers

Positives and negatives.
Only positive will be the certainty that nothing will improve, therefore the death of false hope. And the football will be so dull it will make giving up on following the club easier than its ever been.

Reiver

Positives and negatives.
Positives:
My relationship with my wife will get a second wind as I give up on all football related matters.

Negatives:
Due to the increased time I spend with my wife, she eventually realises we have nothing in common anymore. She divorces me, gets the house, and I have to move in with my dad.

Fallon d'Floor

OK I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about. Neville literally said in his little bit before the palace game with carragher, he doesn't speak to anyone in the footballing department at United.

Mitten knew Murtogh directly, knows people in all roles at the club (regularly cites insights from the analyst teams) and is regularly at Carrington. Scholes and Owen are pundits, if they have any direct link into the club will be one or two people. Mitten is a journalist as you say and corroborates stories. He's set up and been editor for the united we stand fanzine for nearly to 40 years. So yeah, he has much better credentials to be an objective judge of ETH, because he likely knows more about the club than Scholes and especially fecking Owen.
Mitten sits on the fence too much. He's stuck between being a fan at heart and a journalist professionally. He doesn't want to upset the apple cart too much, as that's how he earns a living. It leads to him saying some negative things while also trying to be objective. His interviews on platforms like SSN and OTB can be a bit wishy-washy. If you spoke to him off camera, I'm sure he'd give a more honest assessment. He has to be careful with his words. Upset the wrong people and you could lose access to key sources.

Lost bear

He's the most bland and uninteresting manager I've ever seen. It's like he's just reading from a script, no emotion or personality to anything he says.
Yes. Total charisma bypass. I’m beginning to loathe the man, and I’m usually pretty forgiving of people’s mistakes. He must be a truly dreadful man- manager. He contradicts himself every week now, with the injury narrative and the ‘we must take responsibility’. He is close to being worse than Moyes- that’s no mean achievement.

Atheist

Southgate would be country miles better than Ten Hag. He'd atleast have the side organized and not have 30 shots/goal every other game, and he's not arrogant enough to believe his methods are the only way to go about and he needs to adapt (unlike Ten Hag who believes his own tactical delusions).

Giggsy13

The Southgate rumours are lazy media driven rubbish. I’d put more stock in the Tuchel, Potter and Amorim links.

Irwin99

Maybe with all the chaos that's been going on with United post SAF, pragmatism is maybe the way to set off this transitional phase.

You'll get 0 drama from Southgate. You'd potentially get stability. Definitely get a good squad harmony.
By all accounts, he's a straight talker with players so mentally the players largely know where the stand with him.

Yeah, it'll probably be all rather nice and bland but Uniteds reputation has been in the gutter for so long now and the club really needs to settle down and try to be less of a circus on and off the pitch.

He’s not my first choice but I can see why Southgate would be a candidate for INEOS in this period of transition for the club.
It's the same cycle though: big bad Jose alienates the players by being mean to them and is sacked, so Ole comes in, offers the players (old and new) a much nicer environment and is less of a disciplinarian, the result is we win feck all and the players actively take the mick in the last few months of his reign and under Ralf. EtH comes in to bring authority and a tougher more disciplined approach with more accountability from the players (old and new) but fails. We now want a softer manager who can bring in harmony again. It seems a bit all over the place if we go with those reasons.

hobbers

Simon Jordan was right, a Southgate or Ten Hag debate is a bit like picking between contracting syphilis or smallpox.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's the same cycle though: big bad Jose alienates the players by being mean to them and is sacked, so Ole comes in, offers the players (old and new) a much nicer environment and is less of a disciplinarian, the result is we win feck all and the players actively take the mick in the last few months of his reign and under Ralf. EtH comes in to bring authority and a tougher more disciplined approach with more accountability from the players (old and new) but fails. We now want a softer manager who can bring in harmony again. It seems a bit all over the place if we go with those reasons.
Probably only by ManUtd fans managers will be categorised as Strict and not strict managers. I mean these are professional players, not prisoners to be strict.

So what is Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti? Strict or non strict managers?

Only thing that matters is winning. When you win, you will have support of entire club. When you fail, you lose support.

spwd

It's been like this since 2013 with 6 different managers. I'm not saying Ten Hag is the way to go, but we've tried the whole "appoint a new manager and hope for the best" and it hasn't worked so far. We can appoint a new manager, sure, but INEOS should tidy up the organisation primarily. Everyone wanted to behead Ole toward the end and now we see posts about bringing him back... A lot of people here think everything would be clouds made of cotton-candy, houses made of choclate, sunshine and roses in happy land if we just simply appoint a new manager.

Ten Hag may not be up to the task but his squad is fecking dogshite and made of glass.
For the millionth time no they don't. Everyone understands it isn't just him but he is a major reason we're shite just as it is for some players.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Southgate is like Ole Mk II. Limited ceiling as manager with uninspiring negative tactic. I imagine Ole would do similar job as Southgate if managing England. At least with Ole, he's one of us.

I'd probably take a short hiatus as United fan if Southgate is managing us.

croadyman

Absolutely stupid move if true. Southgate has failed at club level, he’s doing OK with the National Team as he gets the pick of the bunch from every club. Also, we need somebody up and running as soon as possible to prepare for next season - can’t wait until the Euros are over. Just get Tuchel as soon as Bayern have finished with ECL imo.
Yeah keep him away from this club FFS

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Southgate has been the most successful England manager in 50 years or so, hasn't he?
Ha has done amazingly for your national team.
I mean even the "golden" english generation was the laughing stock of world football.
Actually reaching world cup semi final and European final is massive achievement.

You guys underestimate him way too much, he is clearly better manager than Ten Hag.

DSG

The fact that he describes McClaren has the best coach ever should make you pause and question his sense.
Scholes and Owen are broadly seen to be poor pundits, I'm not sure what that has to do with Ten Hag or being in a **** but feel free to make really shit posts.
Clearly, neither one of you watched the clip.

Whether or not they are good pundits is immaterial. Both played under McLaren when he was a first team coach, not as a manager. Both were adamant that these are Ten Hag’s tactics and McLaren is sidelined. Why? Because they both agreed that Steve McLaren is an excellent COACH (not manager) and under no circumstances would he ever set up a side the way Ten Hag has.

Coaching is about communication of details, teaching really. Players who are confused play poorly.
This shite that the Ten Hag supporters claim that ETH is good coach is just fecking bollocks.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
And here I thought that new management was different from the old management. Well....

croadyman

Clearly, neither one of you watched the clip.

Whether or not they are good pundits is immaterial. Both played under McLaren when he was a first team coach, not as a manager. Both were adamant that these are Ten Hag’s tactics and McLaren is sidelined. Why? Because they both agreed that Steve McLaren is an excellent COACH (not manager) and under no circumstances would he ever set up a side the way Ten Hag has.

Coaching is about communication of details, teaching really. Players who are confused play poorly.
This shite that the Ten Hag supporters claim that ETH is good coach is just fecking bollocks.
Yeah they may as well have given it McClaren to see us until end of season as can clearly coach

Cecc

Southgate has been the most successful England manager in 50 years or so, hasn't he?
Ha has done amazingly for your national team.
I mean even the "golden" english generation was the laughing stock of world football.
Actually reaching world cup semi final and European final is massive achievement.

You guys underestimate him way too much, he is clearly better manager than Ten Hag.
C'mon man, Nikolay Kostov is more exciting manager than Southgate. GS is way overrated. He has an amazing team, yes he reached semis and final but they had so much luck with the draw, check which teams they played. The first good team on the way and they were out. I prefer ETH over Southgate, on top of that his teams play awful football I remember England u21 it was pathetic setup now is covered by the amazing players he has at his disposal on every position.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm really surprised he wasn't sacked today, and certainly can't think of a really good reason why he hasn't. I guess it could be financial reasons. I.e. it might be cheaper to sack him in the summer given that SAF himself couldn't lead this team to a cup win.
It could be bollocks but from what I’ve heard United are waiting for a club (like Bayern) to reach out to sign ETH so we don’t have to pay him out for sacking him. If true it does make sense but in the short term it’s painful seeing us stick with the guy when it isn’t working.

Cloud7

Positives and negatives.
While I am not very fond of southgate, as my posts in his thread will attest to, I will make an attempt at this:

Positives
- We would become very defensively stable, I think. His setup won't have us conceding a million shots per game or getting smashed so regularly
- The squad harmony will likely be good, though this is always volatile

Negatives
- We are unlikely to ever become more than the sum of our parts. His tactics and setup are not very positive. Under him I think we could be a stable third or fourth place team, but I am very confident in saying we will not ever achieve more than that
- The media narrative around him will be far more protective than it has been for any of our managers. Sir Gareth as the manager of Manchester United? Anything negative that happens will be everyone's fault but his, to a degree that we have not ever seen before. The narrative around him will make it more difficult to get rid of him when the time comes that he needs to be moved on, I think

Cloud7

]
He’d earn more with us. National Team Manager salary was not great until recently.
Really? I vaguely recall reading something around the time when Capello was the england manager that it was the highest paid international manager job in the world or something like that, though I may be remembering that wrong, but my assumption that it pays well was always based on that

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Probably only by ManUtd fans managers will be categorised as Strict and not strict managers. I mean these are professional players, not prisoners to be strict.

So what is Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti? Strict or non strict managers?

Only thing that matters is winning. When you win, you will have support of entire club. When you fail, you lose support.
Pep I think is a little more strict, Ancelotti more lenient and friendly with players. None of them are disciplinarians in the sense that ETH is, he is one of the best disciplinarians of modern era.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It could be bollocks but from what I’ve heard United are waiting for a club (like Bayern) to reach out to sign ETH so we don’t have to pay him out for sacking him. If true it does make sense but in the short term it’s painful seeing us stick with the guy when it isn’t working.
I don’t think that is the case. He’s only on our payroll for one more year and even while releasing him from his coaching duties, we could keep his contract valid and keep paying him without paying off his full severance. If he then goes on to find a new job, he would be released from his current contract and I don’t think there would be much payout involved (maybe cover some of the difference in salary). With his contract situation it would not be very expensive to part ways with him.

stevoc

It's been like this since 2013 with 6 different managers. I'm not saying Ten Hag is the way to go, but we've tried the whole "appoint a new manager and hope for the best" and it hasn't worked so far. We can appoint a new manager, sure, but INEOS should tidy up the organisation primarily. Everyone wanted to behead Ole toward the end and now we see posts about bringing him back... A lot of people here think everything would be clouds made of cotton-candy, houses made of choclate, sunshine and roses in happy land if we just simply appoint a new manager.

Ten Hag may not be up to the task but his squad is fecking dogshite and made of glass.
Yeah and it's very much his squad.