g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Judas

Open to offers
No matter what you think of Ten Hag, we really should be taking direct aim at whatever players are ignoring his instructions.

The fact that we're apparently in for a quiet transfer window is just dire. We're fecked with this lot. It'll be a few years before noticeable change occurs. I think I heard one of the lads on the Talk of the Devils podcast that Ratcliffe has earmarked around 2028 as a time we may be up and challenging. Sounds about right, if not optimistic.
Honestly, it shouldn't take that long with a decent manager and smart signings. It's only 2024 now!

Fts 74

After Mondays humiliation, I expected him gone yesterday, clearly that's not happening now probably till the end of the season which is gonna make watching these last 4 games pretty painful as he clearly isn't going to change now after sticking with this set up all season.

Sir Jim made the comment when he came in we have to walk to the right solutions not run to the wrong ones and as hard as it is for us fans to watch us getting torn a new one every game that we play, we just have to trust Ineos to get it right.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Not sure if posted before, but this is actually hilarious.
At least I haven't seen that (and actually missed that as I wasn't back at the TV when the second half kicked off :lol: )

Terrible stuff.

Longshanks

I wonder if Ineos have got something up there sleeve, the league is pretty hopeless now difficult games not sure anyone can come and save much face there.

But the one off cup final at the end did the season anything could happen there. Maybe the plan is to leave ETH In charge till end of PL season. Than sack him and throw a wildcard manager in for the cup final, could actually be a clever tactic City and Pep would have no idea what sort of set up or team they are going to face. The element of surprise could give us a chance in the cup final plus the new manager bounce.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
We have 4 games left. There's a good chance that we lose half of them, which would take us to 20 defeats in all competitions.

You can't justify that if you're INEOS. The current 18 defeats is already bad enough. It's a new record amount of defeats post SAF.

There's a good chance that we'd have won less than 50% of the games we've played this season if we didn't face teams like Wigan and Newport in The FA Cup early on.

22 wins, 8 draws and 18 defeats could easily have been worse. So many lucky escapes.

The underlying data from this season and since last February is there for INEOS to analyse. If they're as analytical and strategic as they're perceived to be, ten Hag will be sacked at the end of the season.
but what if he doesnt !!

Im worried

Djemba-Djemba

We're the worst coached side in the League.

Almost every single game this season we've been outplayed, sometimes we get away with it and steal a win but most of the time we don't get away with it and we drop points. We've conceded the most goals in a season since the 70s, we're on course for our lowest ever PL finish and points total. First time finishing a season with negative GD since I think 1990. Got battered at home in the League Cup by a Newcastle side missing half its first choice players and finished bottom of a piss easy CL group.

We threw away a 2 goal lead vs Newport County and a 3-0 lead vs Coventry, with 20 minutes left.

And yet despite all that it actually could have been much much worse. I think we're extremely lucky to be as high as 8th, if you go back and look at the wins we do have, barely any of them were deserved. He's 100% getting sacked.

Lewnited

This is why a bunch of us for a while now have been saying no amount of returning/new players is going to bring us close to being a top team. Forget Casemiro, I'm not even sure a Kante and Makalele duo could cover the amount of space in midfield that ETH is willing to give up.

AndySmith1990

The same shit happens again and again, every single week. The coaching and tactics on show by Ten Hag and his staff are an embarrassment.

But hey, injuries and structure...

soapythecat

I'm at the point now I just can't stand the thought of going into another game with ETH in charge. The player v manager relationship is clearly gone. The players just look lost - their reaction on Monday night told us everything we need to know, especially with him firing down the tunnel straight away. I'm surprised he's not been sacked yesterday and still hold out hope he's sacked this week. We will get absolutely hammered 4 times before the end of the season, regardless of who comes back from injuries as the moral must be rock bottom and that won't pick up until a change happens.
If INEOS were truly sticking with him, they would give him a new contract this week and send out a message to the players - it's probably the only plausible option they have other than sacking him.
I can't watch anymore United under him - it's beyond painful.

Baxquux

Laugh all you want, but I will laugh when the same shit happens with the next manager.
If so, it will be a different kind of nonsense. Other coaches have been criticized for certain openness (Poch, De Zerbi in certain regards;, Flick when he was at Bayern, despite results, then at Germany) but this is a whole different order of chaos in terms of vacating the midfield, in terms of letting the opponent attack you with impunity once they break the top press. Say what you like about Tuchel (who has obviously achieved a few sketchy results of his own over time), but I'd be surprised if he's ever let a team play in this way, and if they tried, he'd be changing things after 15-20 mins, potentially threatening people with being subbed etc.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The same shit happens again and again, every single week. The coaching and tactics on show by Ten Hag and his staff are an embarrassment.

But hey, injuries and structure...
We have to play long like that until Martinez is back and we can switch over to Barcelona '09 tactics.

adkb

If so, it will be a different kind of nonsense. Other coaches have been criticized for certain openness (Poch, De Zerbi in certain regards;, Flick when he was at Bayern, despite results, then at Germany) but this is a whole different order of chaos in terms of vacating the midfield, in terms of letting the opponent attack you with impunity once they break the top press. Say what you like about Tuchel (who has obviously achieved a few sketchy results of his own over time), but I'd be surprised if he's ever let a team play in this way, and if they tried, he'd be changing things after 15-20 mins, potentially threatening people with being subbed etc.
Please tell me why would he be doing this? Do you think he instructs players to not tackle? Or to leave empty spaces?

We have seen time and time again these players will fall back to their basic setting irrespective of what is going on. There was a time when Harry Mc getting exposed every game, making mistakes to playing a high line, everyone on this forum was happy when he was getting sold. But that did not happen, and then injuries happened, and guess what now everyone says Harry is the most important player in our team. We need him. Why do you think that it? Cause ETH started playing to his strength. He started changing the way the entire team plays so that the players at his disposal can play to their ceiling. Now most do not have a very high ceiling as seen by previous managers as well. I completely agree that even the new signing have sucked, but I am ready to wait and keep the manager on for some more time and get better players which can be expected as now there are competent people signing players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Huh? Watch the fecking clip. You’re normally a very insightful poster, but you’re clearly not fully informed or just being obstinate unless you are just wumming.

They were talking from their perspective as players. It’s like Neil Armstrong saying, “wow, the Apollo lunar lander was unstable on touchdown, need to improve the landing thrusters.” Sure, you could comment and say he is an idiot, but since you’re not a rocket scientist and you’ve never piloted a lunar lander, nor been to moon, you’d just come off as being an arrogant moron.

You’ve never been coached by Steve McClaren, you’ve never played PL level football, nor been coached at top professional levels. Paul Scholes and Michael Owen have. To say their opinions are garbage about Ten Hag is one thing — they don’t know him and haven’t played for him. To say their opinions about McClaren as a COACH are garbage (again, watch the clip), is stupid, and a sign of disrespect.
I already watched it. I watched it before making any comments.

You can be as excited as you want and you can try to target me as much as you want, it won't change the fact that I have no respect for any appeal for authority. Also none of what I said is disrespectful and I didn't say their opinion was garbage so don't make things up to then write unhinged posts about me.

An other thing neither of them have been coached by McClaren in nearly 20 years. That's an other reason why you should pause and question their statements, they would need to know how he is today, what is interactions with ETH are today, what are his Football ideas and methods today not 20 years ago under SAF or that one year with England where there isn't actually much coaching.

Rista

You are calling for heads in your post. Just for all other heads except his.
:lol:

United fans: give manager time, we don't know if it's his fault, we have to be patient!
Also United fans: sack the board, the executives, the coaches and sell all players bar Mainoo and Garnacho.

I like this idea of setting up perfect structure with perfect coaches so "any" manager comes in will thrive. Like, let's try everything to make it easy for a manager. That's the top priority.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Please tell me why would he be doing this? Do you think he instructs players to not tackle? Or to leave empty spaces?

We have seen time and time again these players will fall back to their basic setting irrespective of what is going on. There was a time when Harry Mc getting exposed every game, making mistakes to playing a high line, everyone on this forum was happy when he was getting sold. But that did not happen, and then injuries happened, and guess what now everyone says Harry is the most important player in our team. We need him. Why do you think that it? Cause ETH started playing to his strength. He started changing the way the entire team plays so that the players at his disposal can play to their ceiling. Now most do not have a very high ceiling as seen by previous managers as well. I completely agree that even the new signing have sucked, but I am ready to wait and keep the manager on for some more time and get better players which can be expected as now there are competent people signing players.
Why does the LB go for a long ball into the box? Why not the striker or the LW? Why does nobody cover for the LB when he goes on that run? Why even go for the long ball as first option when your CBs are under no pressure and could easily get and distribute the ball? That short clip already creates a lot of questions.

I just don't believe that it's Dalot's "basic setting" to go for that ball, unless he is instructed to do that. It's just not a natural movement for a fullback. Actually that could exactly be the reason why EtH wants to see that, as it possibly drags a lot of defenders out of their position when they are unsure about how to deal with that atypical run. It's just badly covered for.

Has happened all season.
I know. Was just referring to that specific clip :lol:

Xtal

For me, Manchester United needs a British manager. That's when we would get all the support from the media, we are a traditional football club. I would back Southgate, Carrick, McKenna... I would only manage Tuchel for a season or two if we must get him. European managers won't get the necessary support at Manchester United (the biggest team in the UK.)

PS: I'm not British, I'm Nigerian. But I know that's what's best for Manchester United - a club I've loved so much.

Blood Mage

Honestly, it shouldn't take that long with a decent manager and smart signings. It's only 2024 now!
We're fecked with FFP though. Unless someone comes in with a big offer for Rashford/Sancho/Greenwood we can hardly spend anything this summer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You do realize that no agreeing with someone or questioning their thought process isn't a lack of respect? Also if we follow that logic why are they questioning the abilities of a manager that has been more successful than they have been as managers and also been more successful than McClaren? ETH is supposed to be more qualified than all of them.
McClaren not only was a coach in one of the most successful PL teams of all time, he was England coach, won a title in Holland with Twente and also the league cup with Middlesbrough.
regardless, United hired him because of his coaching prowess.
I think IF it came to it, he could handle 3-4 games as caretaker. Couldn’t do any worse.
However I do believe they will stick with ETH until end of season then he will be removed

El Zoido

I was there for that game and Onana was the one getting abuse from the stands, first for not releasing the ball fast enough and then for punting it long when he did. It’s not his fault.

Revan

Assumptionman

United fans: give manager time, we don't know if it's his fault, we have to be patient!
Also United fans: sack the board, the executives, the coaches and sell all players bar Mainoo and Garnacho.

I like this idea of setting up perfect structure with perfect coaches so "any" manager comes in will thrive. Like, let's try everything to make it easy for a manager. That's the top priority.
If I have to choose between the club and the manager, I'll choose the manager every day and twice in Sundays.

Hughs,
Some United fans

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This is not a defence of him but because of the way this has been handled by INEOS (non-committal), I think we are going down the route of the players just not listening to him now whatever he tells them to do. His fate is sealed.

He has himself to blame ultimately but he's dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For me, Manchester United needs a British manager. That's when we would get all the support from the media, we are a traditional football club. I would back Southgate, Carrick, McKenna... I would only manage Tuchel for a season or two if we must get him. European managers won't get the necessary support at Manchester United (the biggest team in the UK.)

PS: I'm not British, I'm Nigerian. But I know that's what's best for Manchester United - a club I've loved so much.
Nationality shouldn’t come into it. Hire the best person for the job. And that’s clearly Mr Blobby. Blobby ball needs to replace this chaos ball

Revan

Assumptionman
We're fecked with FFP though. Unless someone comes in with a big offer for Rashford/Sancho/Greenwood we can hardly spend anything this summer.
Rashford should bring some money, the other two I do not think we can fetch over 30m for each, and for Sancho that would make things worse for FFP.

Even 30m for Greenwood would be huge though considering that he is from academy, so we can amortize 150m over 5 years with that money.

red_de_pologne

Rashford should bring some money, the other two I do not think we can fetch over 30m for each, and for Sancho that would make things worse for FFP.

Even 30m for Greenwood would be huge though considering that he is from academy, so we can amortize 150m over 5 years with that money.
You're living on fantasy planet if you think we're selling Rashford..

JPRouve

Scout
McClaren not only was a coach in one of the most successful PL teams of all time, he was England coach, won a title in Holland with Twente and also the league cup with Middlesbrough.
regardless, United hired him because of his coaching prowess.
I think IF it came to it, he could handle 3-4 games as caretaker. Couldn’t do any worse.
However I do believe they will stick with ETH until end of season then he will be removed
I have no issue with McClaren, I don't assume that is bad. The issue is with making statements based on very old experiences, in a different context and also statements that are quite obviously hyperbolic. The poster that initially questioned Owen and Scholes is right for obvious reasons, one should question these two and it doesn't mean that McClaren as an interim manager shouldn't be an option. The reality of the matter is that they don't even know how much input McClaren has, for all we know he could be heavily involved.

Revan

Assumptionman
You're living on fantasy planet if you think we're selling Rashford..
Actually, I wouldn't sell him, think that he is our best player (together with Bruno). But if we want a full rebuild, and we can get a good bid for him, it might make sense. 80m for Rashford means that we can spend 400m when it comes to FFP, which should be enough for a full rebuilt. Of course, coming with those 400m is not trivial.

JPRouve

Scout

That's not even the issue, making things easy for a manager is a pretty good idea. The problem is that if you have to change everything then the problem may not be everything, especially when many do more with less.