Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

stevoc

It does more than that and examines the impact injuries have on a team judged by frequency (disrupting match rhythm) and concentration.

The stat was key for Premier League injury incidences per 1000 minutes played in 2023-24
So is that a yes or a no?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
His comments had nothing to do with football heritage. He just trying to say he’s still doing better than the last guy.
Doing marginally better points-wise than the season where everyone completely checked out by November. Excellent stuff.

stevoc

You have this information already don’t you?

@stevoc what was your source because surely this can be resolved by you just quickly sharing it and backing up your view.
Did Man Utd have the most injuries to defenders in the PL this season?

Do you have that information?

Otherwise it feels like you are arguing in bad faith here.
I'm not arguing at all.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Just checked looks like Newcastle have had more injuries to defenders this season resulting in them missing more games.
Thats interesting, can you share the source?

I'm not arguing at all.
I don’t know which is why I’m asking. What I do know is about the top 6 clubs from late March.

As for the final sentence then you’re WUMming.

Why would you say you’ve just checked and then not share how or where you checked?

Easiest thing so we can all then agree or disagree.

TsuWave

His comments had nothing to do with football heritage. He just trying to say he’s still doing better than the last guy.
The whole football heritage thing was a talking point started by Mourinho. The poster I quoted said one of their tick boxes for a United manager is not acting like Mourinho and knowing the club is bigger than them.

Ten Hag has expressed sentiments similar to the one expressed by Mourinho, when he spoke on the team of 04:

"They forget, 2004-05, they also didn’t play that great football", and now by essentially saying well, two years ago they had less than 60 points. Of course he's trying to say he's doing better than the last guy, which is disingenuous by the way, but not dissimilar from the exercise Mourinho engaged in with the whole football heritage stuff.

stevoc

I don’t know which is why I’m asking. What I do know is about the top 6 clubs from late March.

Why would you say you’ve just checked and then not share how or where you checked?

Neither did I, I asked VP for his source and he told me to go research it myself.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Agreed with this. If your response towards asking for a source is "do you have a source" then thats a dead giveaway that you're making shit up. Otherwise just share the source.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So is that a yes or a no?
Maybe I misconstrued your point. Is your point that Newcastle have had worse injuries than United, or is your point that injuries have affected Newcastle worse than it has United?

The Athletic article I posted gives good analysis as to why, and it's clear to see what we've struggled with relative to every other side in the league.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The injuries were bad but the tactics were worse. Sure we've had players out but you adapt, don't you? If things go wrong and plan A goes out the window you go to plan B, you set up differently, you approach the games differently. You work with the strengths and the weaknesses of who you're able to field. I never saw any of that this season.

A top manager adjusts to his circumstances. We talk about injuries all we like, we weren't sending out mascots to play, they're decent footballers most of them. Set up right, we wouldn't have been looking to organise an open top bus for the end of season parade through the town, but 8th? That's shocking and that's on him.
:eek: There’s a plan B?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Agreed with this. If your response towards asking for a source is "do you have a source" then thats a dead giveaway that you're making shit up. Otherwise just share the source.
Well that's exactly it. I've given a good analysis of the injury situation sliced by changes per 100mins, concentration of injuries among others. I'm still waiting for @stevoc to explain his findings.

golden_blunder

Staff
I maintain whatever the end outcome.

He’s a really good manager who has been dealt a shite hand this season.

There are possibly managers who might have managed this better but I’ve never known Pep for example to have to deal with circumstances like this.

Other sides that had significant injuries at periods in their seasons dropped points during those times.
The possibility also exists that he’s a totally unsuitable manager, who was dealt a shite hand and doesn’t have the skill set to cope with those kind of challenges

askMeNice

I'm not arguing at all.
@stevoc

I'm really enjoying your comments, views, and the way you unravel part of the context they use to argue about. It gives me even greater pleasure when I see their replies, how they maximally avoid giving any reasoned answer, but immediately consider that it is an attack on them and their opinion.
Cheers mate!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I made the mistake of watching the 99 documentary on Amazon earlier. SAF was a proper manager. It makes this situation with ETH look absurd. He will never have that charisma and drive to lead us to anything

Orange Tree

31 points gap and 63 GD apart to City and somehow there is still people who wants to keep him. We should never be this bad after spending so much.

Injuries yada yada, ETH definitely didn't get any point from handling injury crisis.

RedC

The possibility also exists that he’s a totally unsuitable manager, who was dealt a shite hand and doesn’t have the skill set to cope with those kind of challenges
Do you have any examples of managers dealt a similar hand, that coped with it really well?

redshaw

When he arrived he was championing how we finished second the season before.

The stats point to us being fortunate to be as high as 8th as well.

ShinjiNinja26

People keep bringing up injuries as a way of taking some of the blame off ETH for this disastrous season but he himself might be responsible for a large chunk of them due to his training methods.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Do you have any examples of managers dealt a similar hand, that coped with it really well?
How similar does it have to be?

Real Madrid had 2 defenders + GK out with serious long-term injuries, as well as a number of shorter injuries, and nonetheless had their best league campaign in a decade and are in CL final.

golden_blunder

Staff
Ah yes, that old chestnut.
Well let’s keep the man in charge who oversaw 19 defeats in a season, negative goal difference, finished 8th, cracked some ‘worst since..’ records, got badly embarrassed in the easiest CL group, and probably loads more that I’ve forgotten. Sure let’s lean into the injuries narrative and ignore all the red flags slapping us in the face. I can do that. I mean it’ll be funny to see how far we can sink.

golden_blunder

Staff

Real Madrid had 2 defenders + GK out with serious long-term injuries, as well as a number of shorter injuries, and nonetheless had their best league campaign in a decade and are in CL final.
You have an experienced manager with hair so it doesn’t count

r0663664

Worships Man City
Let's be honest, I am not sure if I can take another season of Ten Hag football like this season. We were basically dominated by almost every team that we play with occasional 1-2 good performance every 2-3 months. In NBA, coaches makes the difference between winning and losing. I see young hungry team competing against top team with stars. Even with his stars returning, I cannot see this team competing. ETH doesn't has any capability to inspire this team. Best managers has the ability to brings the best out of average players, ETH doesn't have the X factor. It's time to move on, he isn't our answer.

TsuWave

Well let’s keep the man in charge who oversaw 19 defeats in a season, negative goal difference, finished 8th, cracked some ‘worst since..’ records, got badly embarrassed in the easiest CL group, and probably loads more that I’ve forgotten. Sure let’s lean into the injuries narrative and ignore all the red flags slapping us in the face. I can do that. I mean it’ll be funny to see how far we can sink.
these were some of our stats going into today's game:

• 1.34 xG (13th)
• 1.87 xGA (18th)
• -0.53 xG difference (17th)
• 392 open play shots created (9th)
• 643 shots faced (19th)
• 49.99% possession (10th)

Judas

Open to offers
I just want to enjoy watching us play, and I'm doubt that ever happens with this bloke in charge.

I expected a bit more noise by this point, so I genuinely think he might be getting another season, which is astonishing really.

Does mean we're in for a mental summer of ins and outs though.

Fallon d'Floor

Courtois, Militão and Alaba all did their ACL this season at Real. Benzema left the club and was replaced by Joselu.

Real have only lost 2 games in all competitions this season.

Liverpool took 28 points from 30 at the end of the 20/21 season with defences containing Rhys Williams, Nat Phillips, Kabak and Fabinho across those 10 games. Yet concede just 6 goals and finished 3rd.

Isak missed 7 PL games this season and Wilson missed 18 PL games this season. Newcastle still managed to score 85 PL goals without their two main sources of goals.

golden_blunder

Staff
these were some of our stats going into today's game:

• 1.34 xG (13th)
• 1.87 xGA (18th)
• -0.53 xG difference (17th)
• 392 open play shots created (9th)
• 643 shots faced (19th)
• 49.99% possession (10th)
Thanks. Honestly it’s like the Dutch Ted Lasso took over.

NLunited

Having six defenders out all at once is a bit worse, weird you are making this point.

Teja

INEOS won't fail to notice these things if they really are analytical and data driven.
Let's see. One of the issues that was a symptom of the club rot was that we basically had no data department. We got one random OxBridge PhD after a while and he disappeared into the ether. Meanwhile City, Pool and Chelsea (surprisingly) have been on the forefront of football analytics.

I still don't see any evidence that we even started hiring in that direction.

SAF is the GOAT

Let's see. One of the issues that was a symptom of the club rot was that we basically had no data department. We got one random OxBridge PhD after a while and he disappeared into the ether. Meanwhile City, Pool and Chelsea (surprisingly) have been on the forefront of football analytics.

I still don't see any evidence that we even started hiring in that direction.
Didn't we hire that Dominic Jordan guy for this area ? That was almost 2 years ago.

stevoc

Maybe I misconstrued your point. Is your point that Newcastle have had worse injuries than United, or is your point that injuries have affected Newcastle worse than it has United?

The Athletic article I posted gives good analysis as to why, and it's clear to see what we've struggled with relative to every other side in the league.
I've been tryng to ascertain which side has had the most defensive injuries this season. Your post earlier today seemed to suggest you had information that confirmed it was United.

None of these teams have had worse injuries. I can only assume you've been looking at absolute numbers and not concentration of injuries in one area of the pitch.
Is that the case or did I misinterpret your post?

stevoc

Well that's exactly it. I've given a good analysis of the injury situation sliced by changes per 100mins, concentration of injuries among others. I'm still waiting for @stevoc to explain his findings.
I'm waiting on yours too mate.

spwd

''When you look at the results, you would say no.''
''When you look at the performances, you would say no.''
''When you look at the league position, you would say no.''
''When you look at the goal difference, goals scored and goals conceded, you would say no.''
''When you look at the CL campaign, you would say no.''
''When you look at probably no European football of any kind next season, you would say no.''

''But other than all that, yes we are in a better position.''

I think he means the Fetal position.
It's as simple as that. Nothing else needs to be said.

Bondi77

That first half of football was embarrassing for anyone associated with Manchester United so I am afraid he has to go.