Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

NK86

Do your analysis again while taking into account injuries, the lack of squad depth and so on.

The fact that we looked boring in half our games or so has to do with poor form of Rashford/Antony, Højlund needing time and lack of ball playing ability to progress the ball forward.

The plan was to play more attacking football this season, but we got hamstrung by failing in transfers and injuries. Instead of a new cb we got Evans (love him as a back up but he can‘t play the system we wanted to
play).

Pool‘s football would be suicide without Virgil there to defend the counters.

You can argue we should have abandoned the new strategy and played more oragmatic this season. Maybe we would have finished 5th or 6th but it would not have been progress.

To sum it up, I think it is bollocks to claim this style can‘t work or is suicidal. Pool does it as well as other teams.

If we have decided this is our style (I take this over the zombie passing football many are advocating for), then you have to do it, even if results aren‘t there right away, like Arteta.
Pool do not employ this style, or even close to it. They press high and in a coordinated manner. Their midfield and defence both press high together with the forwards and that is how they are so compact. They do not play in a manner where every team waltz through their midfield as if it does not exist.

We try to press high, but do not do so in a manner wherein we really squeeze the opponents defence effectively, giving them an easy ball out wide or to their midfield. Our midfield is almost non existent and our defence does not press high along with the forward line, thus leaving enough space in the middle for a Boeing to land there.

This could be partly due to injuries but it sure as heck is not only due to it. Eth has ensured we follow this disastrous route despite how every other team in the league showed us up home and away.

I have no idea how you see Pool and United play and say they are even remotely similar to each other.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If ETH were to get sacked after the cup final, when do we think it will be announced? A day after? Or a couple of weeks?

NLunited

Pool do not employ this style, or even close to it. They press high and in a coordinated manner. Their midfield and defence both press high together with the forwards and that is how they are so compact. They do not play in a manner where every team waltz through their midfield as if it does not exist.

We try to press high, but do not do so in a manner wherein we really squeeze the opponents defence effectively, giving them an easy ball out wide or to their midfield. Our midfield is almost non existent and our defence does not press high along with the forward line, thus leaving enough space in the middle for a Boeing to land there.

This could be partly due to injuries but it sure as heck is not only due to it. Eth has ensured we follow this disastrous route despite how every other team in the league showed us up home and away.

I have no idea how you see Pool and United play and say they are even remotely similar to each other.
The reason why we didn’t play a high line is that we have a couple defenders with the speed and turn circle of a combine harvester. Just about every team has players that can dribble past them if they are on their own in space.

Add to that, the degeneration of Casemiro and Eriksen.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If ETH were to get sacked after the cup final, when do we think it will be announced? A day after? Or a couple of weeks?
Within a few days I think. Depends on the result though as to how fast it will be announced and handled. If we somehow got the win then I think they'd use to media to set the stage a bit first. I still think it's likely he will go but you just don't know what to expect yet with Ineos and they've not committed either way so far.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Day after if we lose. Maybe about a week after if we win, after all the celebrations.

In Rainbows

The metrics are a bit bollocks: we did not finish 15th did we, and could have easily finished above Spurs, Newcastle and Chelsea. How many times did we easily give away a winning position? We were also denied some stone cold penalties.
Why is it bollocks? Just because you don't like it? That's not a good reason. The underlying metrics always have variance to it. Hence why I said that you may have had more of an argument if it said United were like 9th or 10th place or 11th place. United were at 15th place.

Why I believe it's not bollocks, is due to how it captures performance better than the results table. I've used this example before, but when we had Mourinho in 2017/18 we finished 2nd and Liverpool finished 4th. The underlying metrics showed this..

The reason why this matters is because performances show the progression of your side grasping your manager's tactics and show whether your manager's tactics are worth believing or persisting with.

Klopp and Mourinho had rebuilding United sides in 2017/18.

2017/18 PL table
2. United with 81 pts, 68 goals scored, 28 goals conceded, +40 GD
4. Liverpool with 75 pts, 84 goals scored, 38 goals conceded, +46 GD

The results say that United are in a better position during the rebuild or at least tied. Anyone that watched could tell you de Gea was saving us that season. Anyone watching the performances can see that Klopp was doing a much better job. If Liverpool just put in superior players, his tactics which were showing great promise could lead to a further improvement, thus leading to big title challenges. The foundation was already working.

What a surprise that United end up sacking Mourinho next season, while Klopp goes on to get Liverpool to win the PL, CL, etc... in the following years.

Now let's look at underlying metrics.

2. United with xG 55.7, xGA 40.7, xGD +15
4. Liverpool with xG 72.9, xGA 33.8, xGD +39.1

Expected Points
2. Liverpool 79.38

6. United 62.33

This shows that United fans were right when thinking the performances were crap and results were misleading for Mourinho. The same is happening under Ten Hag, only worse.

Of course Ten Hag values compactness. The idea that teams are compact always is not true though, every team gives up space somewhere.

We do know how to play compact, we do it regularly. It makes us less effective in attack though, it is more conservative.

I think Hag came up with a temporary in between style that allows our slower defenders to sit deeper. They cannot defend 1v1 in space. I think our bad games had more to do with sloppy ball playing and lack of aggression, than the tactics.

First season:
If you remember, Ten Hag tried to play his style in the two opening games of his first season and had to abort.

The fact that he got third and the most clean sheets proves that he knows how to set up a team, something that is denied here. The expectation was we would finish somewhere around 6th place.

This season, we got some pieces in place to play Ten Hag’s style, so he went for it. Already one year behind on schedule, he did not want to compromise again on developing the strategy, injuries be damnned.

Look, Arsenal fans lost their nerve with Arteta, but he stayed and succeeded rebuilding a squad with a modern proactive style.

I don’t like the idea that we should go back to ‘being pragmatic’ it would be going backwards. Whether we go on with Ten Hag or get another manager who will develop the squad and playing style, is fine with me.
I also don't like the idea of going pragmatic. That has never been my argument. I understand why you confused what I said with what other said though, as many are simply in it for results, and others flip flop between being pragmatic and persisting with the style of play he demands. But once again, that has never been my argument.

I don't believe it makes us more conservative. I think it would give us far more of the ball, and allow us to attack more. Klopp doesn't believe in possession as much as Arteta or Pep do. Still he has his defensive line higher because compactness is good in creating turnovers, and deadening potential playing out from the back that more and more teams subscribe to now a days.
The reason why we didn’t play a high line is that we have a couple defenders with the speed and turn circle of a combine harvester. Just about every team has players that can dribble past them if they are on their own in space.

I don't have a problem with thinking this can be the case, but unfortunately none of us have proof. It's all based on belief. Secondly, if that were the case, we've already established (as did you) that Ten Hag is doing away with pragmatism this season in favor of long term progression of his system. So if that is the case, why is he not using a high line if it will give him a much bigger and better sample size of which players can handle his system? Players not able to handle the high line via performances are actual proof that they need to be sold. As he's not using a high line, the evidence is weaker because that part of his system is not being tested. I thought that was the whole excuse for this season? That we're using his system to progress as a team long term. Now he's being pragmatic in this instance, and we should instead just believe based on nothing?

Finally, if he's being pragmatic in regards to a high line, what benefit is it giving us? It's making us more open conceding as many xG as relegation sides. Through sheer luck (much like Mourinho had), United are actually in 8th place. So it's not like the deep defensive line is somehow benefiting us in any substantial way. We've conceded the long term future of his system by refusing to test it this season, and we're still defensively shit.

Last edited:

croadyman

The context that you're missing here is that nearly 30% have voted to give Ten Hag another season.

The forum could talk to the cows come home about everything else wrong with the club and the squad but it'll be easier once ETH is gone. Just like Ineos' rebuilding job
Fully expect it to go over 30% before Saturday

NK86

So knowing how our team looks like, Eth decided the best course of action was to focus on making Mount a priority when Kim was available, waiting till the end of the transfer window to get someone like Amrabaat on loan? Was this his master plan to make us the “beat transition team” in the world.

Irrespective of how the resources are, a competent coach can at the very least train the team to press in a coordinated manner. Klopp could do that in the first half season he was in charge and with far worse players. Yet Eth cannot do that in 2 years? Far inferior teams to us know how to press in a manner wherein they squeeze the opponents.

This just goes to show that he does not seem to have the coaching nous to get us in a position wherein we could challenge the big boys again. Unless he is in charge of the team with the biggest budget by far in a league, he is shown up tactically.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Fully expect it to go over 30% before Saturday
I expect him to get a result against City too. Like a 3-1, 2-0 defeat which will be considered as vastly exceeding expectations and will bump it up even further.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
One of the aspects of this I find most interesting is this idea that a left footed CB is key to how ETH wants to play and missing Martinez is a big part of why we struggled this season. It's interesting because if you remember which player ETH was interested in for that CB role initially, in was Timber, not Martinez. Shows contradiction in his way of thinking.

To me, he has to go. For so many reasons not just the style of football but also the results, the performance, the signings, the lack to adaptability.

His contract situation forces Ineos to either back him or sack him. The only thing they could have really done so far is back him, and they haven't done that.

Zed 101

Do your analysis again while taking into account injuries, the lack of squad depth and so on.

The fact that we looked boring in half our games or so has to do with poor form of Rashford/Antony, Højlund needing time and lack of ball playing ability to progress the ball forward.

The plan was to play more attacking football this season, but we got hamstrung by failing in transfers and injuries. Instead of a new cb we got Evans (love him as a back up but he can‘t play the system we wanted to
play).

Pool‘s football would be suicide without Virgil there to defend the counters.

You can argue we should have abandoned the new strategy and played more oragmatic this season. Maybe we would have finished 5th or 6th but it would not have been progress.

To sum it up, I think it is bollocks to claim this style can‘t work or is suicidal. Pool does it as well as other teams.

If we have decided this is our style (I take this over the zombie passing football many are advocating for), then you have to do it, even if results aren‘t there right away, like Arteta.
Honestly this argument of pick a "style" and stick with it regardless blows my mind, the notion that it is ok to completely tank a season by employing tactics you don't have the players for, but hey lets do it anyway, oh this is going terribly, nevermind lets stick with it! I mean there are ways and means to go about making changes, to support and defend what ETH has done this season, I cannot even begin to contemplate how somebody would take that stance.

Do you think it is okay for a manager not to have the mindset or capacity to adapt their style, tactics, formations to get the best from their team and set up against different opposition, unless you are Man City being predictable is one of the worst things you can be in football.

The comparisons to Klopp and Arteta are ill made, both teams were clearly making progress you could see it on the pitch, even when they were losing games one week and winning the next you could see it happening.... what progress have we made? if there is any it is not apparent on any matchday... name one good match this season.... I will give you the 1st Chelsea match, but they were playing as crazy as us, and in truth should have scored more but fluffed their lines... the Liverpool match when we were awful for 70 minutes? there is no progress, in any department, we cannot even defend corners an set pieces anymore, nevermind defending the edge of the box, we don't keep possession, our attacks almost all come from fast counter attacks.... which I don't mid but lets face it that is not progress, that was the case under Mourinho and Ole.

On the injuries, they have been bad, but at any one time we have been able to field a very good 1st 11, including recognised defenders, an 11 which would have if set up and coached well would have seen us perform much better than we have.... CB consistency is a problem, but even when we had 4 CBs available ETH was chopping and changing, our defenders have actually played well this season but have been exposed but poor tactics.

If I could see any positives on the pitch I could get the argument of keeping ETH for another season, but I see none, zero, nada! not only that the money he has cost and will cost in poor results is too much of a risk.... that safe 5th or 6th, and getting out of the group stage in the CL would have saved us £10s of millions, it is not okay to disregard this and just do your thing!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I really think he’s managing for his job in the cup final. If we somehow wins regardless of performance he will stay. INEOs would be mad to sack a manager who has won two trophies in two years because like it or not that’s a habit that we need at Utd. No other manager post Fergie has managed back to back trophies. Having said that I fully expect us to lose and I think he will be let go after that.

stevoc

Just give ETH enough time and he'll become the next SAF. This season was plagued by injuries, otherwise we would've been within a shout for the precious achievement of finishing Top4 to enter a competition that we got promptly knocked out in the group stages.

You see, SAF never had to deal with the kind of injury crisis that ETH went through. He never had to go through chunks of title chasing seasons where he had to play midfielders at CB... Oh he actually did? Well, ETH is not Fergie, despite believing that he will become the next Fergie given enough time at this club.
Absolutely, if we give him 6 years and don't worry about results and performances he'll become a SAF redux.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But what is your evidence (this season) that he's actually done well enough to believe in his project past this season? From the past, it seems like your only evidence is that he's switched to a system he's wedded to (being wedded to a style isn't bad in my opinion), and that the concept of managers needing time and structure to bring the right players in, is enough to keep him on the job.
I understand the reasons for sacking him, of course. However I feel he's a much better coach than what we've seen this season and are yet to see the ceiling he has in this role.

He overperformed vastly last season, having broadly not been expected to be in the top 4 he finished 8pts clear of 5th and hit two finals, winning one and having the most clean sheets. This season was more bad than the last season was good, but there's also no one really available who I deem a lower risk. Tuchel maybe, but I find him boring and he falls out with those above him every 2-3 years. I want to see how we build here, but that may not happen.

Marcus

If his strategy has been successfully implemented by our quite majestic U18s, does it mean that it really is personnel and not the tactics which are the problem? After all, this way of integrating youth players to transition seamlessly into the senior team is part of the Ajax way.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Goals scored last season: 58, 8/20
Goals scored this season: 57, 9/20

I think people need to stop fussing about our defensive record and how injuries have contributed to it and focus more on how consistently inept he is at getting the attack to function in a coherent manner. If you ask Tim Sherwood to coach a team with Bruno Fernandes he should still be able to do better than 60 goals in a premier league season. Therein lies our bigger problem.

stevoc

The metrics are a bit bollocks: we did not finish 15th did we, and could have easily finished above Spurs, Newcastle and Chelsea. How many times did we easily give away a winning position? We were also denied some stone cold penalties.

Of course Ten Hag values compactness. The idea that teams are compact always is not true though, every team gives up space somewhere.

We do know how to play compact, we do it regularly. It makes us less effective in attack though, it is more conservative.

I think Hag came up with a temporary in between style that allows our slower defenders to sit deeper. They cannot defend 1v1 in space. I think our bad games had more to do with sloppy ball playing and lack of aggression, than the tactics.

First season:
If you remember, Ten Hag tried to play his style in the two opening games of his first season and had to abort.

The fact that he got third and the most clean sheets proves that he knows how to set up a team, something that is denied here. The expectation was we would finish somewhere around 6th place.

This season, we got some pieces in place to play Ten Hag’s style, so he went for it. Already one year behind on schedule, he did not want to compromise again on developing the strategy, injuries be damnned.

Look, Arsenal fans lost their nerve with Arteta, but he stayed and succeeded rebuilding a squad with a modern proactive style.

I don’t like the idea that we should go back to ‘being pragmatic’ it would be going backwards. Whether we go on with Ten Hag or get another manager who will develop the squad and playing style, is fine with me.
So which lightning quick defenders were we missing that prompted this decision then?

Because it's certainly not Martinez and our quickest centreback is Varane who's been available for the majority of the season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If his strategy has been successfully implemented by our quite majestic U18s, does it mean that it really is personnel and not the tactics which are the problem? After all, this way of integrating youth players to transition seamlessly into the senior team is part of the Ajax way.
Have you seen the U18s play? You can take 5 touches in the opposition box and not face a stiff tackle there. It’s like playing basketball at ymca and thinking that will work in the nba.

Schmeichels pinky

I think people need to stop fussing about our defensive record and how injuries have contributed to it and focus more on how consistently inept he is at getting the attack to function in a coherent manner. If you ask Tim Sherwood to coach a team with Bruno Fernandes he should still be able to do better than 60 goals in a premier league season. Therein lies our bigger problem.
I agree that he’s failed to set up our attack and use the players to their strengths. But I also think it would be a lot easier with a proper defense and DM in place so we could press high, win the ball back for counter attacks and play out from the back breaking the lines creating space for our attacking players. Without decent defenders and a proper structure our attackers will not flourish like they could otherwise.

I really hope we get two intelligent ball playing center backs to compliment Martinez, a fullback to replace AWB and a defensive midfielder who can shield and play ball. Locatelli, Ricci or Morten Hjulmand maybe

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I agree that he’s failed to set up our attack and use the players to their strengths. But I also think it would be a lot easier with a proper defense and DM in place so we could press high, win the ball back for counter attacks and play out from the back breaking the lines creating space for our attacking players. Without decent defenders and a proper structure our attackers will not flourish like they could otherwise.

I really hope we get two intelligent ball playing center backs to compliment Martinez, a fullback to replace AWB and a defensive midfielder who can shield and play ball. Locatelli, Ricci or Morten Hjulmand maybe
We had all those things last season and the goal scored tally is the same as this season. After 76 games, I think it’s adequate enough sample size to admit this is what he is capable of producing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Arteta scored less in his first half season and in the second season where he placed Arsenal 8th.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This has to be the most confusing aspect of these conversations. ETH isn't an Ajax man, he hasn't been raised with the Ajax way and he was just a head coach for Ajax.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
So you don't want to assess every signing one by one, because that would paint a different picture to your one sentence long "400m wasted to get to 8th place" agenda-driven, wrong narrative. I get it, you don't want to delve into it, because you'd be proven wrong.

https://archive.ph/5LJLj

I recommend you to read this and don't reply to me again unless you have more to say than "400m" "his signings" etc.
:lol:

I had no interest in having a conversation with you. It was you who butted in with your nonsense 5000 words "How 400m is not 400m" essay. Where did you learn that? At a Donald Trump rally?

Grow up.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Arteta scored less in his first half season and in the second season where he placed Arsenal 8th.
Correct: bad seasons, bad amount of goals scored.
The concerning part here is that United didn't score much even in a good season.
A lot has been said about the negative GD this season but last season's GD wasn't much better relative to league position.

Son

I think it’s just best for everyone if we start fresh. We don’t score enough goals and conceded too many. The same manager won’t change that a whole lot.

I think some of these players need a new direction so changing the manager makes sense

Son

Yes, perhaps the absence of a center forward contributed to this too.
City won the league without a CF once upon a time. It’s philosophy and purchasing the wrong players more than anything.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
City won the league without a CF once upon a time. It’s philosophy and purchasing the wrong players more than anything.
City have had a second team better than United's first team for the best part of a decade.

Son

City have had a second team better than United's first team for the best part of a decade.
Maybe but things like them potentially signing Pedro Neto this summer while we had the chance but bought Antony instead for 20m+ more on top is nuts.

I’m placing that on the manager. He bought an 80m+ footballer he knew and a 60m+ footballer in Mount who each contribute to the score line once in a blue moon.

It’s just not good enough when we had the money to make the best decisions.

Marcus

Have you seen the U18s play? You can take 5 touches in the opposition box and not face a stiff tackle there. It’s like playing basketball at ymca and thinking that will work in the nba.
I haven't actually. At least not beyond some highlights. Are you saying that EtH's method cannot work at first team level even with faster and stronger players than we currently have or you can't be sure?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I'm just saying that to most people it's 'negative' information so probably less likely to respond.
We'll see. Only 5 more days to go and it should become more clear. If it's him staying hope they announce it soon and don't let it drag.