Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

lon ball2

ETH is fast losing my respect because of his continued completely unjustifiable selection of Antony. Is he any better than Sancho?
Antony might not be setting the world on fire but he is leagues ahead of Sancho in terms of attitude, workrate/ application/ discipline and desire. That is why he is being selected, he doesn’t back down or shirk his responsibilities.

That’s what ETH wants to see, those are the standards he is referring to which are the minimum required for a United player.

Talent only goes so far, and it’s why such an emphasis is being placed on attitude and workrate in his recruitment - Rasmus, Casemiro, Amrabat, Mount, Martinez, Anthony, Onana, Malacia. All of them work really hard on and off the ball

it’s probably a key reason why so many players bought are “known” to him, because he can clearly see the culture is rotten and entitled - Lingard, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Henderson. Sancho/maguire/bailly still here but on the chopping block. Which set of personalities would work and fight harder?

City have all the talent in world but every single one of them works their fecking socks off

redmanx

Was hoping things like this would never happen again since Jose left. We don’t need the added drama in which is already turning out to be a poor start to the season.
Im hugely disappointed in the way ETH has handled this; yes, Sancho deserved a dressing down but not in public. Sir Alex would have told Sancho his future in private and that would have been the end of it and it would have been down to Sancho to prove he was worthy of being selected; of course we dont really have any idea what happened and under SAF it would have stayed that way. ETH has enough on his plate to contend with without getting into strops with players. Personally I dont believe any player is bigger than the Club and if Sancho has over stepped the mark he should be moved out.

jesperjaap

Yes he is.

Anyone who thinks Sancho is better than Antony for our team doesn't follow how we play nor their own performances.

And I'm not saying Antony's been good either. Sancho has just been worse for what the role entails.
I agree, even with just a couple of half decent pre-season performances, there has been a lot of support for Sancho here so far, yet Antony has been derided.

Yet they cost similar fees and though far from perfect, I think Antony has put in much better performances, workrate and looks more of a player than Sancho too

jesperjaap

Only the club really know the extent of this, but what is factual is the level of performances Sancho has put in on the wing in comparison to the ability that he does possess.....only Alexis SAnchez has been worse.

In the world of social media though is strange to see such a public reaction from Sancho. Imagine if this happened under Ferguson, would have been straight out the door as far better player sthan Sancho were.

I think that happens under Ten Hag too though, bar the fact window has shut. In a manager thread on Ten Hag I did write I am not fully convinced by him yet, it is too early, but his single mindedness and vision is what I do like, havent seen the tactical genius at all yet.....he will I feel definately banish Sancho.

The other side of the coin though, I personally dont like the fact Ten Hag has publicly criticised him, even if all true and he has made up his mind his time is here. That should all be behind closed doors I feel, it never looked good when Mourinho did it, een when I agreed with his feelings on certain players and it doesnt look good on Ten Hag I feel either, it isnt great man management and again, Ferguson would never have done this

astracrazy

Genuinely baffling that not only is it still on Twitter but it is his pinned post.
I was expecting some sort of come down this morning, that it was miss interpreted or miss understood.

Seems he has gone balls to the fire.

MiceOnMeth

when factoring in price and wages he will surely go down as the worst transfer in our history if we dont sell soon and recoup 30 million

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Could be he wants out and wants out now. Interesting timing as the right wing position may soon be available for a spell.

0le

Im hugely disappointed in the way ETH has handled this; yes, Sancho deserved a dressing down but not in public. Sir Alex would have told Sancho his future in private and that would have been the end of it and it would have been down to Sancho to prove he was worthy of being selected; of course we dont really have any idea what happened and under SAF it would have stayed that way. ETH has enough on his plate to contend with without getting into strops with players. Personally I dont believe any player is bigger than the Club and if Sancho has over stepped the mark he should be moved out.
To you and all the other individuals that keep saying "Ferguson would have kept this private" this is incorrect... (source):

On Ronaldo:
" "It's hard when a player who wants to entertain doesn't get everything his own way,” Ferguson explained. “But you can't get everything your own way.” "

On Wayne Rooney:
"I think Wayne is the type of player who has to play on the edge in a game really," Ferguson told MUTV. “When it's a really close and competitive game. When it gets to that casual bit, he's worse than the rest of them. He gets so casual about it.”

On Smalling:
"If you lose a goal at a set-piece you only have yourself to blame at this level," Ferguson said.

On Nani:
"We were playing really good football at that point and all we needed to do was see the game out by keeping possession. "But Nani decided to try and beat a player, lost the ball and they got a penalty kick against us.”

It really is a not a big issue. A player voicing discontent. A manager voicing discontent. People have disagreements. Move on already.

Judas

Open to offers
It being a pinned tweet is so wonderfully dreadful :lol: the people these kids allow to control their careers. It's a shame how this is going, but the biggest shame is just how awful he's been for us.

mu4c_20le

I haven't really defended him so far, but I don't really see anything wrong with the tweet. He's just denying he's been training poorly, and the scapegoat remark seems obvious it was aimed at the media, or social media, going by this thread.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This ‘SAF’ shit needs to stop. He wasn’t infallible.

EtH didn’t do anything wrong. Sancho has been awful on the pitch and shouldn’t be on the squad. He’d have taken Hojland or Garnachos spot.

I really rate him. But there are only so many weapons that a modern manager has available. Sancho needs to get his shot together. He’s one of the best young players in the world. Either perform in training and on the pitch, or leave. I’d love to see him get it together here. But happy too if he leaves and blossoms.

Ferguson didn’t get everything right. But he didn’t do everything behind closed doors. Issues with Sharpe, Giggs, Ince, and so many others, all went public. There’s no one approach.

buchansleftleg

I'm sure there will be an army of Sancho fans who will rally to support him once they recall his heroic performance against...

Well any modern footballer is under tremendous pressure, he needs some time off...

Who can forget his tenacity and will to win when he.....

Nah....he's just another failed Glazer mediocrity where we fell for the magic beans approach of..."wanted by City"

Get rid now and free up space for Pellestri

Malone_Post

I'm sure there will be an army of Sancho fans who will rally to support him once they recall his heroic performance against...
I’d be shocked if he even has an army of fans. He’s got to be one of the least captivating players I’ve ever seen, both on and off the pitch. He’s like a cold cup of tea. Just so unbelievably bland.

Yanited__

People in the club 'debating' whether he should play again. He should be out the door and sold ASAP. And if that is not possible thanks to his wages then freeze him out of the team. Have him train with the reserves.

On a side note, 250k a week for a young player? He signed that contract when he was 21! How much was he getting paid at Dortmund? Another one for the Manchester united overpaid but average player archive.

IamBurnsey

Drama just follows this club around like a bad smell, I keep thinking things can't get worse then of course something else happens!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I can't imagine an apology will work unless he's grovelling. But the Saudi window closes this week..

Anustart89

But Ole did rigorous background checks on all signings, I can't believe this is happening :(

He seems very immature, thin-skinned and not eager to maximise his potential as a football player. Get rid. Firmly team EtH on this one.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Sancho has to go down as one the worst transfers ever for United.

Hopefully the club backs the manager. I’m sick to death of this player power bullshit.

The whole fecking squad should have been sacked for downing tools during the RR era. That was disgraceful. We can’t let that happen again.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sancho has to go down as one the worst transfers ever for United.

Hopefully the club backs the manager. I’m sick to death of this player power bullshit.

The whole fecking squad should have been sacked for downing tools during the RR era. That was disgraceful. We can’t let that happen again.
Remember that well. How we hated on the players that season.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
A lot of people digging into Sancho here, but Ten Hag got it wrong as well, IMO. Should keep stuff like that in house.

Dread Devil

I wonder if Jadon actually wanted 3 months away last year in Holland…or if he feels Ten Hag sent him there to bed Anthony in….from scanning fbref he contributed similar stats to Anthony when he came back with a better goal ratio, one less assist, but better pass completion….in 300 less minutes…maybe somebody who studies these regularly might surmise them better.

I thought Jadon did really well in both preseasons but was then left out as soon as the seasons started..he must feel a bit pissed off with how that has evolved..

Contrary to opinion on here….I always see him tracking back and he works for the team, he is perfect for the transition system that Ten Hag is trying to instill…he thinks quick with passing, is tidy in close situations but is lacking confidence closer to the goal but who isn’t…

Everyone is underperforming in front of goal… Bruno, Anthony, Martial, even Rashford who scored so many last year has missed loads of the last two seasons…they are all guilty of wasting chances…I guess that could be where the scapegoat quote came from..

The major problem I have with Sancho is he pulls out of tackles quite often , he comes across as a pushover which is easy to exploit for opposing teams..you can’t get away with that in the premier league.

I wonder if this will be resolved…United have to back the manager though…we need some stability.

Son

I did wonder yesterday where we would be right now if we'd just given Jose the money we've given Ten Hag...
He’d definitely win more. I mean it’s Jose… when it comes to big games he tends to get the job done.

The scenes when he won in Turin. Most of our fans hated it but I loved the passion. He shut Juve down even on his way out the door.

He’d pan Sancho in a heat beat same as Ten Hag will. A nice big fee from Saudi would be amazing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This is the first time in his United career that he's actually come at something head first, and it's the wrong fecking thing.

cyril C

When you were sent away for a PRIVATE training session, isn't that a strong yellow card? HOW many yellow card in private should Sancho deserve?

Talking about attitude, I was pleased with Martial, who worked his socks off with and without the ball. Only if he can start 40+ games a season...

Herculean

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
A lot of people digging into Sancho here, but Ten Hag got it wrong as well, IMO. Should keep stuff like that in house.
In my opinion, Ten Hag did a great job of keeping it “in house” for months, but 1. He answered a journalist’s question. If he had dodged the question, it would’ve blown up as well. 2. I think the manager has a breaking point (see CR7) and Sancho pushed Ten Hag to that point.

Reactions: Damien

hobbers

Sir Alex would have told Sancho his future in private and that would have been the end of it and it would have been down to Sancho to prove he was worthy of being selected; of course we dont really have any idea what happened and under SAF it would have stayed that way.
No, SAF would have verbally flayed him in front of the squad for putting no effort in, and Sancho would have briefed it to the press that he was getting scapegoated and bullied. Then he would have been excommunicated from the squad and shipped out at the nearest opportunity.

Sancho is the one who blew this up, not ETH.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I really don't see what ETH has done wrong with his comment. He was asked why Sancho wasn't in the squad, and simply said he didn't train well enough this week to make the team. That is just how football works, if others are training/performing better than you, then you won't be picked. Nothing controversial at all in that.

Sancho however has made a mess of this, he is basically saying that his performance and training more than warrants making the team, and the only reason he isn't is because ETH is out to get him. That is just childish and unprofessional. He should be buckling down and forcing his way back into the team, not whinging on social media.

lex talionis

We have to assume that ETH was truthful when questioning Sancho’s work ethic in training. That said, it is hard to understand how appalling Sancho must be to see Martial start over him at the Emirates, considering the tactics we employed against Arsenal.

Forget the fukking and irrelevant tweets, if the manager thinks you’re so shite that even Martial starts over you, you have no future at this club. There is no doubt that that is what Sancho was reacting to.