Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

moodyred

For a player of his fees and pay, the club had to give him support to be mentally ready. He hardly performs well when he does play. And he says he is made a scrap goat? He shouldn't have any cause to complain. I would say he is mentally weak and not ready to perform at the top level.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
There was nothing disloyal about what Ronaldo said. They didn't even believe Ronaldo when his child was suffering, and that alone is reason enough to speak out. He turned down the chance to win trebles at Man City because of his history at the club, his loyalty and how much the club meant to him

Ronaldo spoke concern about the direction of the club around the decision-making at board level. He spoke out about the poor infrastructure and technology, which we fans complain about alll time when fans visit old trafford and still see damaged roofs and poor training facilities. He spoke out about the mentality of the youth, bravely called out the glazers, that's not what you call self-serving. Self-serving is losing 3-1 to one of our rivals and then instead of accepting responsibility on why your tactics didn't work, decide to throw a 22-year-old player who has a history of mental health under the bus to deflect from the fact we can't win away against a top 9 team in the league. And keep saying the players didn't follow rules and principles like some soulless headmaster

If a player of Ronaldo's calibre and experience says something about football and most importantly, the running of our club, then you listen. You don't ostracise him, turn him into a villain and disrespect him at one of the lowest point in his life when he was dealing with so much family hardship. Sir Alex would never ever have left Ronaldo out of the squad and left him embarrassed on the bench if he missed pre season due to family reasons. He saved us the season before last with the goals he scored. ETH treated him like some youth prospect who needed to prove himself to him. He did all this out of spite and the club suffered as a result as we ended up with Weghorst.

Remember this isn't supposed to be a soulless company, it's a football club....a family club. Ronaldo had no one around to him to support at Manchester United. He spent days eating at the canteen on his own while being treated like a piece of meat. He mentioned how uncomfortable the whole environment was while he was there. Some things are more important than football and that's when managers have to be human beings and show compassion and not be cold clinical task masters.

Just look at what is happening right now to Jadon Sancho and he's now being looked at like a villain like Ronaldo all because of ETH's ego where he thinks he's the new Sir Alex Ferguson just because he lifted the caroboa cup. They are throwing this kid to the wolves all because he stood up for himself for what he felt wasn't true. There's no way you can tell me Sancho has been training any worse than a 36 year old Johnny Evans and not more of use in a big game than Hannibal and Gore

And you can't tell me taking the decision to give Sancho 3 months out not playing football would be of any benefit to any footballer who is trying to find form. The manager is not God and the players are not subservient slaves who don't have any rights to speak when they feel wronged. I had bosses speak crap about my desire and I've stood up to him and challenge on his bullshit in serious fields of work. It's no different in football, keane had many arguments with staff in his playing days it was only when he was completely finished they let him go
No Piers, you're not getting a promotion to the mains.

Boycott

This is school playground behaviour but not from Sancho imo.

If the worst character flaw you can leak is he is shy in public then I'd be embarrassed as a journalist to make a story out of it.

glasgow 21

We are some club , we can't sell anyone even to the Saudi League. Our players are so highly rated, Saudi Arabia are scared to bid for them.

KrasHammerhand

The club has done a very poor job of researching the character. Of the players we are signing. Yes ability on the pitch is very important but they also need to have the skills to be able to deal with the pressure of being at a large club like United.

everything is reported on here, we have much more click bait then any other club in the Premier League. When you look at his history there have been a few instances of not being professional, being late etc.

We need to move on from him, get enough funds to cover our costs for the balance of the contract.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Had a feeling his one wouldn’t end well. Another case of us chasing the wrong player. Nothing new there though. He never fitted our “style” and doesn’t seem to want to try hard enough to make it work.

SATA

I don’t think he’s such a difficult character to deal with. He always seems happy and smiling when his teammates are scoring, and wheels away to celebrate with them. I just think he’s probably a shy bloke

kaku06

Ronaldo's baby daughter was ill in the hospital during pre season which Ronaldo was in distress attending to every day and this was just three months after his newborn son had passed. Ten Hag treated him like a piece of meat who had to prove himself when he returned, and apparently didn't even believe Ronaldo. He was humiliated

Ronaldo felt the only way to let people know how he was being mistreated was to speak out. And he exposed so many issues within the club which we are still reeling from to this day. Namely, the infrastructure, ten hag's tactics which Ronaldo had reservations about and the questionable training he was putting the players through. Ever wonder why our players are unfit and picking up so many injuries?

Listen to what Ronaldo said. This man played under peak Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlo Ancelloti and never had these type of issues with them until he crossed paths with Ten hag, who has now treated players like De Gea, Sancho and Ronaldo like cattle. When Ronaldo speaks, you listen.

Open your eyes There's a common denominator here and it ain't f-king Christiano Ronaldo. Ten hag destroyed his career and he's now on his way to destroying both sancho and pellestri's career due to nepotism and having favourites. Don't be surprised when the rest of the players get fed up and then when Brighton run us over and you see an array of players not bothering to bust a gut to track back for the manager. You will know why

If Ten Hag wants to remedy this before things spiral out of control, he will get a sense of himself and be on the phone to sancho explaining why he felt the need to publicly oust him after we got beat by Arsenal
That’s a winner. Worst post of the year winner.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
There was nothing disloyal about what Ronaldo said. They didn't even believe Ronaldo when his child was suffering, and that alone is reason enough to speak out. He turned down the chance to win trebles at Man City because of his history at the club, his loyalty and how much the club meant to him

Ronaldo spoke concern about the direction of the club around the decision-making at board level. He spoke out about the poor infrastructure and technology, which we fans complain about alll time when fans visit old trafford and still see damaged roofs and poor training facilities. He spoke out about the mentality of the youth, bravely called out the glazers, that's not what you call self-serving. Self-serving is losing 3-1 to one of our rivals and then instead of accepting responsibility on why your tactics didn't work, decide to throw a 22-year-old player who has a history of mental health under the bus to deflect from the fact we can't win away against a top 9 team in the league. And keep saying the players didn't follow rules and principles like some soulless headmaster

If a player of Ronaldo's calibre and experience says something about football and most importantly, the running of our club, then you listen. You don't ostracise him, turn him into a villain and disrespect him at one of the lowest point in his life when he was dealing with so much family hardship. Sir Alex would never ever have left Ronaldo out of the squad and left him embarrassed on the bench if he missed pre season due to family reasons. He saved us the season before last with the goals he scored. ETH treated him like some youth prospect who needed to prove himself to him. He did all this out of spite and the club suffered as a result as we ended up with Weghorst.

Remember this isn't supposed to be a soulless company, it's a football club....a family club. Ronaldo had no one around to him to support at Manchester United. He spent days eating at the canteen on his own while being treated like a piece of meat. He mentioned how uncomfortable the whole environment was while he was there. Some things are more important than football and that's when managers have to be human beings and show compassion and not be cold clinical task masters.

Just look at what is happening right now to Jadon Sancho and he's now being looked at like a villain like Ronaldo all because of ETH's ego where he thinks he's the new Sir Alex Ferguson just because he lifted the caroboa cup. They are throwing this kid to the wolves all because he stood up for himself for what he felt wasn't true. There's no way you can tell me Sancho has been training any worse than a 36 year old Johnny Evans and not more of use in a big game than Hannibal and Gore

And you can't tell me taking the decision to give Sancho 3 months out not playing football would be of any benefit to any footballer who is trying to find form. The manager is not God and the players are not subservient slaves who don't have any rights to speak when they feel wronged. I had bosses speak crap about my desire and I've stood up to him and challenge on his bullshit in serious fields of work. It's no different in football, keane had many arguments with staff in his playing days it was only when he was completely finished they let him go
An essay of epic proportions. Is it any good?

TsuWave

Entitled player. Seems to be a general issue with the players of his generation.
What has he done that makes him entitled? The manager publicly said he hasn’t trained well - and he doesn’t feel as though that’s a true reflection of reality and said he trained well this week - but understands he plays with good players and accepts the coaching staff decisions.

I don’t think Ten Hag needed to make that public - didn’t like when Mourinho did this sort of thing either - because what follows is unnecessary vitriol and character assassination for the players, as we’re seeing here.

Sancho has not performed, but what did he do to get all these labels?

neon_badger

There's no point in a loan. We don't have Greenwood and potentially might not have Antony soon either.

It's either a sale so we can sign someone in January or we keep him for atleast this season.

Loan just kicks the can down the road and he'll be worth less in a transfer in a years time. Hopefully we've learnt something now and it's a sale or keep.
This is the depressing stage we're at, keeping players like Sancho because we might need them plays into their hands. It becomes a circle that we can't break. Cut the deadwood loose, it'll probably cost us a season but can anyone really be arsed with this mediocrity overlapping from one season to the next.

JuriM

What has he done that makes him entitled? The manager publicly said he hasn’t trained well - and he doesn’t feel as though that’s a true reflection of reality and said he trained well this week - but understands he plays with good players and accepts the coaching staff decisions.

I don’t think Ten Hag needed to make that public - didn’t like when Mourinho did this sort of thing either - because what follows is unnecessary vitriol and character assassination for the players, as we’re seeing here.

Have you not read the whole topic? For whatever reason Sancho has seemed off to multiple coaching staff members and club personnel, and they have noticed that not only the manager. And as it has been pointed out, it's not the first warning, there have been reports of that behavior from City days to Dortmund, etc. Just his on-pitch performance has been woeful also and he can't cut corners and expect to be choosed.

Battery

You have seen what Sancho put out in reaction to the answer that ETH gave, after being asked about him not being selected...? right?

That's the key part right there, ETH was answering a question.. not assassinating anyone and to compare answering a question to how Maureen was is incredible...

That reaction from Sancho is what started this, and it shows just how entitled he is. He should be accepting what the manager thinks and try harder.

This is not the school team, its elite football and putting out what looks like a note from his mum was a bad, bad move.

SATA

Remember those Happy Sancho Days when we were trying to sign him? :(

Shame it hasn’t worked out. I still hope both the manager and player repair the relationship and can work together again. Sir Alex ‘fell out’ with Keane and Scholes and all three mend their differences together for the good of the football club

Velvet Revolver

What is at this club for then? He is a united player who was brought in to perform if he doesn't perform then what is the purpose of his presence? ETH has been very patient with him as we have seen in his first season where Sancho was sent to train and get upto speed physically and mentally. To me it seems like Sancho is not up to the levels ETH and united staff need him to be and i am sure this has been addressed multiple times in closed doors and this was the final straw.

Regardless, These comments from Sancho might have been valid if his on field performances in game were good or decent ( i am lowering my standards here). But it's not. This is his 3rd season at united and he still is far behind what he should have been. If i were him, i would put my head down focus, train harder and prove everyone wrong by my performance not by my social media drama nonsense.

Ghostrider318

He was good at BVB but ive never been out and out impressed by him and his time at united ( until now ) has been a disaster. I dont think well sell him to saudis though. I think this will drag on and him and the manager will bury the hatchet eventually.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It's admiral but at this point I'm like, why bother? It's clear that most of these posters are just reacting off of headlines and aren't willing to think critically for themselves.... Part of the gradual decline into ideocracy.

Yes, I'm quite disillusioned I guess....

hobbers

It's clear that most of these posters are just reacting off of headlines and aren't willing to think critically for themselves.... Part of the gradual decline into ideocracy.
What do your critical thinking skills lead you to believe about Sancho that the rest are missing?

Redstain

Meh, I don't these sorts of character traits should be scrutinised by the media. Players don't have to be these larger than life characters to be successful on the pitch.

What they do need is work ethic and a winning mentality, which he clearly doesn't have either.
It's ridiculous isn't it. It's also interesting to see the narrative in the bias of the English media Sancho a reserved character as has been described by people who know him such as Rio and he's being blasted for it.

Then you've got the leaked images with Grealish and someone who poses a very jack-the-lad like figure but there's nothing to assassinate his character in the English media. If Rashford or Sterling (falsely accused of having multiple children) conducted themselves in the same manner could you imagine the headlines. People need to open their eyes.

Prodigy24

It's too late to sell him now. He should immediately apologise to the manager and if he's lucky enough get a couple of chances to play this season. Next summer I want him gone.

afrocentricity

What do your critical thinking skills lead you to believe about Sancho that the rest are missing?
What sort of answer are you expecting when replying to a post that states "Why bother"? It's not like any of you will listen to the response is it?

All I will say is that the papers are taking you lot for a ride, and most of you are happy to jump when they say so because they are telling you what you want to hear and feeding your addiction for negative United news. I suspect you are going to ignore the possibility that you might be wrong about all this and maybe you'll quote some paper, or another poster? You cant possibly be wrong, why should you entertain the thought that this may be blown out of proportion only to get squashed in the following weeks? Maybe you are one of those that "never rated him"? Maybe you are intent on filling your boots whenever there's an opportunity to get stuck into United or the players..... feck do I know? I'm running out of fecks to give to be frank.

Use your own critical thinking skills....

Care_de_Bobo

This is school playground behaviour but not from Sancho imo.

If the worst character flaw you can leak is he is shy in public then I'd be embarrassed as a journalist to make a story out of it.
It's very sad. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but people with mental health issues often exhibit this type of behaviour and being shy can be misconstrued as being rude or aloof.

I'm not saying that Sancho is or will ever be good enough to get United back to where they want to be, but you can't simply ignore the mental side of this whole episode.

People have short memories and forget that the summer before we signed him he came off the back of a tournament where he, along with Rashford, were forced to take crucial spot kicks in England's biggest game for over 50 years despite not having touched the ball a single time in the actual game. These two young men were then subjected to horrible abuse, some of it racial in nature, yet people expect them to just brush it off and get on with the game the following season. I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them really had as much love for football after that and maybe even saw it as merely transactional.

That also fits in with Sancho feeling like a scapegoat and having this chip on his shoulder, because that's exactly what he was made to feel like after the biggest game of his career so far by so called fans and the media. Of course it's not all fans, but even without the worst abuse many still feel very entitled and just want to see performances on the pitch without genuinely giving a damn about the human being.

I have no problem at all with Sancho, nor Ten Hag. The biggest problem I feel is the 'man up and get on with it' vibes from a lot of the fan base and the media when they actually have no clue what's going on in the guy's head. Most of these armchair experts would be probably crushed by the expectations of playing for England and United, regardless of the financial benefits.

reelworld

Exactly.
Keep it in house. There's absolutely no need for Ten Hag to do that.

reelworld

I have no problem at all with Sancho, nor Ten Hag. The biggest problem I feel is the 'man up and get on with it' vibes from a lot of the fan base and the media when they actually have no clue what's going on in the guy's head. Most of these armchair experts would be probably crushed by the expectations of playing for England and United, regardless of the financial benefits.
Yeah, this is what I wanted to say and you put it much better than me.

Plastic Evra

It's very sad. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but people with mental health issues often exhibit this type of behaviour and being shy can be misconstrued as being rude or aloof.

I'm not saying that Sancho is or will ever be good enough to get United back to where they want to be, but you can't simply ignore the mental side of this whole episode.

People have short memories and forget that the summer before we signed him he came off the back of a tournament where he, along with Rashford, were forced to take crucial spot kicks in England's biggest game for over 50 years despite not having touched the ball a single time in the actual game. These two young men were then subjected to horrible abuse, some of it racial in nature, yet people expect them to just brush it off and get on with the game the following season. I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them really had as much love for football after that and maybe even saw it as merely transactional.

That also fits in with Sancho feeling like a scapegoat and having this chip on his shoulder, because that's exactly what he was made to feel like after the biggest game of his career so far by so called fans and the media. Of course it's not all fans, but even without the worst abuse many still feel very entitled and just want to see performances on the pitch without genuinely giving a damn about the human being.

I agree but at the end of the day, football wise, it is about how good he is at the moment. I won't abuse or blame him for not being good enough, but that assessment of quality (in general, for us, on the games he played / in training this week for EtH) stands on its own.

I don't know if the staff is going about this the right way about it all. It does seem last season they tried to accommodate, protect and give him a fresh start but maybe that is not what happened ? Can't really comment on that. At least not yet.

It is possible it is never going to click for him here, even if he getting as much support as he could. The staff can maybe foster a healthier environment for the players (I hope they're trying) but there is some hard-coded limits with regards to pressure and expectations. If such, maybe the better outcome is just everyone accepting it wasn't a good fit for all involved and Sancho needs a different team or setup to blossom.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@afrocentricity makes good points. I definitely jumped on that bandwagon. Now I think it may be mental health related. What I still wouldn't get is if so, why ETH wouldn't be more circumspect in talking about the subject.

RedMistyDevil

Ronaldo's baby daughter was ill in the hospital during pre season which Ronaldo was in distress attending to every day and this was just three months after his newborn son had passed. Ten Hag treated him like a piece of meat who had to prove himself when he returned, and apparently didn't even believe Ronaldo. He was humiliated

Ronaldo felt the only way to let people know how he was being mistreated was to speak out. And he exposed so many issues within the club which we are still reeling from to this day. Namely, the infrastructure, ten hag's tactics which Ronaldo had reservations about and the questionable training he was putting the players through. Ever wonder why our players are unfit and picking up so many injuries?
This is the only thing I empathize with in Ronaldo's case, but he was given the whole preseason off by the club.

Club infrastructure sounds like a Glazer problem, not a ten Hag problem.

That "questionable training" got us from being beaten by Brentford and Brighton to winning the Carabao Cup and finishing 3rd in the league, and that is after whatever the hell the players were doing during the collapse the previous season.

Listen to what Ronaldo said. This man played under peak Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlo Ancelloti and never had these type of issues with them until he crossed paths with Ten hag, who has now treated players like De Gea, Sancho and Ronaldo like cattle. When Ronaldo speaks, you listen.

Open your eyes There's a common denominator here and it ain't f-king Christiano Ronaldo. Ten hag destroyed his career and he's now on his way to destroying both sancho and pellestri's career due to nepotism and having favourites. Don't be surprised when the rest of the players get fed up and then when Brighton run us over and you see an array of players not bothering to bust a gut to track back for the manager. You will know why

If Ten Hag wants to remedy this before things spiral out of control, he will get a sense of himself and be on the phone to sancho explaining why he felt the need to publicly oust him after we got beat by Arsenal
Sir Alex Ferguson booted van Nistelrooy out of the club. ten Hag did the same with Ronaldo. I don't see a problem with that. Him walking off when being subbed, him leaving before the game is over, you think Sir Alex Ferguson would've stood for that, even if it were Ronaldo?

As for the nepotism, I didn't realize that ten Hag had kids playing at United. Just because the word is popular on Twitter doesn't mean that it is applicable here. Does he have favourites? Maybe. But his "favourites" actually put in a shift on the pitch and they actually want to play. And fight for the badge. That's a lot more than I can say for Sancho, who's been pocketing his >£300k pw while giving ghosting a whole new meaning.

My eyes are open, and I see the common denominator. It's not ten Hag, it's the sense of entitlement of some players allowed to fester by years of mismanagement by Woodward.

If ten Hag wants to remedy this, he needs to come down hard and ban Sancho from training with the first team players until he apologizes in public.

Houdini

The guy is earning 350k per week. People earn much less and their boss does not give a shit about their mental issues. The days when football was played mostly for fun are long gone. He makes his living at United. He was pampered last year and had more than 2 years of patiance under different managers. If he can not deal with the criticism (soft) from his boss then he can feck off. Easy. I rather play Pellistri or Bruno as RW at this point till January.

Todd

This has got to be the most delusional thing said on the Caf all year, and that's saying something, as we've had people claim we're gonna win the league.

Ronaldo was absolutely cooked at the top level, everyone could see it but him, and instead of handling the reality of aging out of his abilities like a well-adjusted adult, he decided to act like a bellend because he's an egomaniac. Don't be mad with ETH just because he had the balls to pull a Tywin Lannister and send King Joffrey to bed without his supper.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't get the scapegoat comment. Who does he feel has made him a scapegoat?

I certainly don't feel that can be targeted at either management, coaching staff or the fans.

afrocentricity

@afrocentricity makes good points. I definitely jumped on that bandwagon. Now I think it may be mental health related. What I still wouldn't get is if so, why ETH wouldn't be more circumspect in talking about the subject.
He hasn't really said much. We are reading into what he has said but it isn't particularly damning on it's own (although I still feel all this should have been handled behind closed doors), which is why I won't go in on him. Bottom line is we don't really know much of what's going on and what has been going on. Most of the edge/spice has been added by newspaper articles, talking heads, posters that love polemic etc.... anything can happen and I hope he is dealing with it using empathy, while having both the clubs and the players well being in mind. Everything else is noise....

The optimist in me believes the situation can be resolved, but if it can't, lets part ways amicably.

hobbers

Use your own critical thinking skills....
My thinking skills tell me that someone who has had negative briefings about how he trains or conducts himself from four independent places (three clubs+national team) probably is a shit trainer.

Which would still be okay if he was playing well like in Dortmund, but he never has in a United shirt.

Also, the papers didnt force Sancho to put out a stupid statement. They didn't put the word scapegoat into his rebuttal, he did that himself. Which also tallies with what his camp once briefed while he was in Germany. Which tells you his attitude is that he is a victim of scapegoating whenever things are not going his way.