Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

ErikElevenHag

You joke but Dortmund literally had someone whose job it was to go and wake him up every morning to make sure he got to training on time.
Did he really? Thats damning for the club if that was public knowledge and we opted to sign him for such a huge fee.

He was undoubtedly a top prospect at dortmund, but that mentality is horrific.

Be glad to be shut of him in january.

sugar_kane

Did he really? Thats damning for the club if that was public knowledge and we opted to sign him for such a huge fee.

One source close to the German club noted that although “Jadon was mentally tough on the pitch” he could be “quite childish and unprofessional with little things”. Occasionally missing team meetings or oversleeping were viewed as problematic.

It got to the point where Edin Terzic, Lucien Favre’s assistant at Dortmund, would personally knock on Sancho’s hotel room door to pick him up before meetings.

https://theathletic.com/4852693/2023/09/13/manchester-united-sancho-ten-hag/

Same article shows we had to treat him like an unruly child just to get him to do his basic job of turning up on time:

The issues at United date back to last season, when newly-appointed Ten Hag and his coaches tried to get Sancho to arrive on time by setting him a schedule at least one hour earlier than the rest of the squad.

It's astonishing as you say that we didn't do our homework before signing him, but also that any United fan can take his side vs. Ten Hag given his appalling reputation for poor professionalism.

bosskeano

this kid is young, rich and extremely unprofessional....fining him means feck all so the only solution is to drop him from teh squad in hopes that he matures which clearly hasn't and probably won't happen

Irwin99

We know from Maguire and McTominay that EtH doesn't completely shut the door on someone. If Sancho wanted it, he could have it back.
EtH also gave Ronaldo an opportunity to make amends after his sulk against Spurs last season. He strikes me as a manager that’s tough but not completely unforgiving and unfair.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
The issues at United date back to last season, when newly-appointed Ten Hag and his coaches tried to get Sancho to arrive on time by setting him a schedule at least one hour earlier than the rest of the squad.
In the aftermath of the Matic interview its seems Sancho has been like that even from day one with Ole, as Matic was gone by the time ETH appeared. Scary stuff though how either our scouts did not pick up on this , or probably more likely it was Woodward ignoring the advice and refusing to give up on the pursuit.

Mercurial

One source close to the German club noted that although “Jadon was mentally tough on the pitch” he could be “quite childish and unprofessional with little things”. Occasionally missing team meetings or oversleeping were viewed as problematic.

It got to the point where Edin Terzic, Lucien Favre’s assistant at Dortmund, would personally knock on Sancho’s hotel room door to pick him up before meetings.

https://theathletic.com/4852693/2023/09/13/manchester-united-sancho-ten-hag/

Same article shows we had to treat him like an unruly child just to get him to do his basic job of turning up on time:

It's astonishing as you say that we didn't do our homework before signing him, but also that any United fan can take his side vs. Ten Hag given his appalling reputation for poor professionalism.
Shocking reading, and gross mismanagement of millions of pounds in this transfer. Guy is making seasoned grifter's look good in comparison.

Sancho is a complete failure at this point for club and country, but even more fail is us as a club that chose to ignore all these issues and pen that paper.

Guess he is mentally done and dusted with pro ball and set for life on the back of all the fans paying Sky TV and buying kits and merch. Can't wait to see this waster and his toxic attitude towards a contract firmly out the door.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I thought that’s what you meant tbf. For us he’s been terrible obviously.

This re-writing of his history like he’s some make-a-wish kid who Ole bought at a blind auction because it’s gone badly is certainly the vibe others are giving though.
Pure revisionism to not acknowledge that his performances for Dortmund were sensational.

However he’s not going to cut it at a top competitive side with the attitude of I need someone to wake me up to not be late…

Im done with him it’s been too long for him to be sulking away with no apology.

Pickle85

Pure revisionism to not acknowledge that his performances for Dortmund were sensational.

However he’s not going to cut it at a top competitive side with the attitude of I need someone to wake me up to not be late…

Im done with him it’s been too long for him to be sulking away with no apology.
I haven't seen many claim he was anything other than excellent at Dortmund tbf. But his attitude and application have been awful since he joined and he doesn't even have close to the level of performance that would be required to accept it. I'd be amazed if we manage to get rid, but I hope we do. A shame, as I was so excited when he signed.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I haven't seen many claim he was anything other than excellent at Dortmund tbf. But his attitude and application have been awful since he joined and he doesn't even have close to the level of performance that would be required to accept it. I'd be amazed if we manage to get rid, but I hope we do. A shame, as I was so excited when he signed.
Majority acknowledge it to be fair.

But we were clearly signing an elite talent who also had issues in terms of professionalism.

I was also really excited but he’s not got the right mentality to be a player here. And that’s fine not many do but I just hope we get a decent fee for him and get his wages off the book ASAP.

Pickle85

Majority acknowledge it to be fair.

But we were clearly signing an elite talent who also had issues in terms of professionalism.

I was also really excited but he’s not got the right mentality to be a player here. And that’s fine not many do but I just hope we get a decent fee for him and get his wages off the book ASAP.
Agreed. I guess we underestimated the level of micromanagement he may need. He looks done as a player at the mo.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Everytime I see a guy like Sancho, or perhaps Martial wasting their career I think about this. There's no big mystery to why they're not performing.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Everytime I see a guy like Sancho, or perhaps Martial wasting their career I think about this. There's no big mystery to why they're not performing.

I bet they don't think they are wasting it, getting paid millions for doing bog all is a fair career TBH

FerociousCorgis

Reyna? The US player who has an attitude problem?
as a USMNT supporter can tell you it is prob more a Greg issue than a reyna issue. Hardly ever given a real chance under greg, mainly shunted out right for cameos. Nothing really attitude wise before the whole drama came out after last cycle with his parents and greg. Mainly bad luck with injuries, so would fit right in here with United

wolvored

Great question. You tell me.
Like a few players to come from Germany, not all, but some cant cut the mustard in a faster and physical league.
As an add on after reading other posters. This unprofessionalism re late attendance could be why we were the only team in for him. Shows how 'on the ball' other clubs are run, compared to the shower of shit running ours.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

Like a few players to come from Germany, not all, but some cant cut the mustard in a faster and physical league.
As an add on after reading other posters. This unprofessionalism re late attendance could be why we were the only team in for him. Shows how 'on the ball' other clubs are run, compared to the shower of shit running ours.
All very fair points with which I don’t disagree.

The response was in relation to can I imagine Sancho putting in a performance like Garnacho’s last night which pales in comparison to multiple champions league performances from Sancho & Bundesliga ones, farmers league etc.

The worst performers from Germany tend to rock up at United & disappoint, I don’t think that’s coincidence. He’s been poor for us yes but he wasn’t some flat track bully there, he was doing it in Europe too.

The Sancho story isn’t simply a case of him, we as a club need to ask why so many players we sign don’t just fall short of expectations but miss them by a large margin.

You could argue we recruit the wrong types of players, I’d probably agree but again, they don’t just play poorly, it goes to ridiculous levels. Pogba, Depay, Di Maria, Sanchez. . . We’re either very unlucky or as you say the shower of shit has some responsibility.

Son

100% it’s rare. Khabib isn’t a physical freak but he worked super hard all his life in his weight class and lived a simple life.

Someone also from Russia, the olympic wrestler Karelin went over 800 wrestling bouts undefeated. Arguably the most dominant athlete of all time.

I’ve only seen Ronaldo and Messi in football with that mindset. Older people might argue Cryuff also.

There have been a huge lack of world class talents in football for 5-10 years because they zone out from the game in their own time.

Sancho isn’t exceptionally fast or big and strong so if he relies on his brain speed - playing FIFA won’t help with that.

If he played chess and lived a simple life… he’d probably become a better player. Same with Rashford.

Young players try and be someone on the outside because they have some cash and clout. They should keep their lives simple but they feel like they can’t and won’t anyways due to social pressures from friends / family.

wolvored

The response was in relation to can I imagine Sancho putting in a performance like Garnacho’s last night which pales in comparison to multiple champions league performances from Sancho & Bundesliga ones, farmers league etc.

The worst performers from Germany tend to rock up at United & disappoint, I don’t think that’s coincidence. He’s been poor for us yes but he wasn’t some flat track bully there, he was doing it in Europe too.

The Sancho story isn’t simply a case of him, we as a club need to ask why so many players we sign don’t just fall short of expectations but miss them by a large margin.

You could argue we recruit the wrong types of players, I’d probably agree but again, they don’t just play poorly, it goes to ridiculous levels. Pogba, Depay, Di Maria, Sanchez. . . We’re either very unlucky or as you say the shower of shit has some responsibility.
Exactly. Look at Sanchez at Arsenal, to coming here asxa prime example of that. We pay him twice as much for poorer performances. I suppose you can look at Onana as a more recent example. Where is the goalie that played in the Ch Lge final? Something is amiss here as we aint improving under any manager since Fergie

Cloud7

Pogba was our best midfielder a lot of the time. He was inconsistent in terms of what he was asked to do at times but he was our best player for a long time. And as we have seen, his body is pretty much broken now, so who knows how long that has been the case.

Depay was simply never up to it. He was dead slow and didn't have much in the way of trickery. Poor signing.

Di Maria outright did not want to be here, so his heart was likely never in it. Even just phoning it in, he was our top assister that season.

Sanchez was physically finished by the time he came here. He has not gotten up to much since leaving either.

And all of that being said, they have all achieved more than Sancho has in a United shirt.

ErikElevenHag

Yeah I don't want us to sign another Dortmund superstar ever again. We've been burnt one too many times.

ErikElevenHag

Exactly. Look at Sanchez at Arsenal, to coming here asxa prime example of that. We pay him twice as much for poorer performances. I suppose you can look at Onana as a more recent example. Where is the goalie that played in the Ch Lge final? Something is amiss here as we aint improving under any manager since Fergie
Onana is exactly the keeper he's always been. His career stats alone should tell you that.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I assume we all thought he'd be that good that nobody would care, probably how it was in Germany.

saivet

I actually believe him but it does seem wild that ETH would reintegrate him into the team if he says sorry now. Given he's stuck it out for so long already, I don't see a scenario where Sancho apologises anyway. Maybe if a move doesn't materialise and we're stuck with him after January.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Dead right. ETH can’t give in now or it will make him look weak. Sancho obviously doesn’t care about his future. It’s ashame because if he was on form it would have been crucial to our season. He can add so much when at his best.

Aretak

Nope. Wiki says 58 appearances. Don't know where BBC got his goal numbers from either.
The 58 number from Wikipedia is league games only. He's played 82 games for the club in all competitions, so 92 could be dismissed as a typo were it not for the 24 goals bit. He's actually scored 12 goals for the club.

Grande

Sancho secretly wants to play for United again

Sancho secretly wants to play for United again

Secretly, my only hope and wish is to work for Man Utd in any way, shape or form, but if they ask me to show up for an interview, my hands are just tied, aren’t they? Can’t lower my standards to the level of going to an interview, I have pride, y’know? Besides I ‘ve no idea how to operate the alarm on my phone, so it’s juat demaning the impossible, innit?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The 58 number from Wikipedia is league games only. He's played 82 games for the club in all competitions, so 92 could be dismissed as a typo were it not for the 24 goals bit. He's actually scored 12 goals for the club.
That's what jumped out to me. Anyone who's even vaguely kept track of United's matches over the last 2 years would know that Sancho hasn't gotten close to 24 goals. Weirdly poor journalism.

K Stand Knut

I actually believe him but it does seem wild that ETH would reintegrate him into the team if he says sorry now. Given he's stuck it out for so long already, I don't see a scenario where Sancho apologises anyway. Maybe if a move doesn't materialise and we're stuck with him after January.
That quote makes it sound like it’s about more than an apology.

I have interpreted it that he hasn’t changed his attitude and therefore ETH still isn’t happy with him

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Strong words from EtH. I really don't see Sancho turns into a pressing machine like Antony or Garnacho. His only hope of getting back into the team is if EtH is gone. Then a new manager with "everyone gets a clean slate" as always.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Man United sell him or find ways to sue him for breach of contract, gather enough evidence in court to prove it. Sancho will career will end with United, let's see if he get invited by big brand or party as a washup player. I can't believe that we have such a childish player on our hands. How it possibility that you kick around a football with juniors and yet earning millions of dollars.