Erling Håland

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Just because PL clubs are loaded doesn't mean every club is loaded with shit loads of money. 30-40 million would be record breaking deal for Austrian league player.
Salzburg are a very wealthy club. They won’t sell a player who has scored a bazillion goals including ones against Liverpool & Napoli, someone who is a bonafide wonder kid, for peanuts.

And 30-40 is peanuts in this market. Salzburg know that, just because they play in a lesser league doesn’t mean they aren’t aware of his worth. Every club in world football would be putting in bids if they could get him for that price.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Salzburg are a very wealthy club. They won’t sell a player who has scored a bazillion goals including ones against Liverpool & Napoli, someone who is a bonafide wonder kid, for peanuts.

And 30-40 is peanuts in this market. Salzburg know that, just because they play in a lesser league doesn’t mean they aren’t aware of his worth. Every club in world football would be putting in bids if they could get him for that price.
Salzburg have rich owners but their revenue is very low. And no, 30-40 million is not peanuts. It's just peanuts to the PL clubs who are awful in transfer market, with more money than sense.

KungPaoChicken

And how is Jovic doing at RM? Deary me. I think Haaland is worth picking up now for 30-40mil. He has the right mentality.
I highly doubt Haaland will be sold for 30-40m, he is not even a year into his 5 year contract. Salzburg have enough money and dont need to sell. If he manages to keep scoring at the current pace for the rest of the season i wouldnt be suprised if the price was closer to 100m then 50m, around 80 would be my guess. For reference maguire cost 80m and we were pretty much the only interested party, i would suspect almost all top clubs will be interested in haaland. Would he worth those kinds of money? Its not my money, but the market is what it is!

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't think it would make sense if United were to sign him. There are already three relative young strikers at the club. Either sell one and go for the finished article such as Kane or sign an older player, someone like Murray but a few years younger. Refresh the midfield, sign a very good right winger and maybe a left back.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't think it would make sense if United were to sign him. There are already three relative young strikers at the club. Either sell one and go for the finished article such as Kane or sign an older player, someone like Murray but a few years younger. Refresh the midfield, sign a very good right winger and maybe a left back.
Only 2. Rashford isnt one and to be perfectly honest Greenwood is better going out on loan anyway

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
This kid is so hungry it is a scary view but he needs to be tested at higher level before being considered a unicorn.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This kid is so hungry it is a scary view but he needs to be tested at higher level before being considered a unicorn.
He's scored against Liverpool and Napoli, not sure there's going to be many higher tests before you can make your mind up.

They're not just lucky tap ins either.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How long did it take Rooney? Completely different footballers but I get Rooney-esce vibes from this kid, in terms of how his career will develop. Huge club coming in for him this season.
That's us out then

Kidding, but seriously we need to get our game to together or offer some serious money....ideally both

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
ok so are you gonna pay £100m and make him your main striker already? good luck
He won't go for that sort of fee, i'd imagine between 40-60 AT MOST.

Right now there's a real lack of top strikers around, and we need at least 2 more.

For us rebuilding a team he'd be the perfect player.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Don't think anyone said that TBF
why not then? is he a unicorn after two months under the spotlight, right? everyone is going to break the piggy bank and buy him in Jan... or maybe not, he needs to be tested for consistency and ability to bear the pressure from playing for a better club?

Eriku

why not then? is he a unicorn after two months under the spotlight, right? everyone is going to break the piggy bank and buy him in Jan... or maybe not, he needs to be tested for consistency and ability to bear the pressure from playing for a better club?
My gut feeling tells me your skepticism won’t age well. His mentality seems to be top notch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
For one thing, he will not go for £100m. As great as his numbers are, the simple fact is he plays in the Austrian league and Salzburg will most likely sell for a sensible amount. See @roonster09's post above, post no. 762.

As for your final point about needing to be tested for consistency at a better team, we as a club are not in the position to be turning down talent of this level. Firstly because we simply do not have the personnel that will keep him out of the team already, and secondly, we at this moment do not have the pull to attract elite level players. If we let him move to another club as a stepping stone and he does well there, we allow clubs stronger than us to enter the bidding war and our fans will lament as to why we didn't sign him in the first place. At that point, he may become unattainable for us.

The brackets available to us are really as follows:
1. Taking chances on top talents doing big numbers in weaker leagues, who may prove to be a dud but have ridiculous potential if they work - e.g. Haaland in this case;
2. Seasoned veterans looking for a last opportunity who are very short term, and pretty much past their peak - Mandzukic tier players etc. (could possibly include the likes of Muller here);
3. Mid level proven players who will get into our team, but do not necessarily have enough to elevate beyond being good players, as they possess visible flaws that will not be removed from their game. Think Lukaku's level when we actually signed him.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Only 2. Rashford isnt one and to be perfectly honest Greenwood is better going out on loan anyway
The club gave Rashford and Martial the big bucks, can't see any of them staying on the bench for too long. Greenwood has already scored goals for United, don't see United loaning him. An old fox in the box would be nice, but because there will be limitations on the budget, i'd prefer to focus on different areas of the team.

Raven

The club gave Rashford and Martial the big bucks, can't see any of them staying on the bench for too long. Greenwood has already scored goals for United, don't see United loaning him. An old fox in the box would be nice, but because there will be limitations on the budget, i'd prefer to focus on different areas of the team.
We need another striker for competition and depth, it's no good having Martial who's the only one actually good enough to play striker and then a significant drop off after that in Rashford and Greenwood. We need more than just one option, if Haaland can provide that, we should get him. I agree that we need a midfielder more than anything else, but it shouldn't be an either or type if situation.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
My gut feeling tells me your skepticism won’t age well. His mentality seems to be top notch.
not skeptic about his potential, if nurtured properly... just skeptic about the hype

For one thing, he will not go for £100m. As great as his numbers are, the simple fact is he plays in the Austrian league and Salzburg will most likely sell for a sensible amount. See @roonster09's post above, post no. 762.

As for your final point about needing to be tested for consistency at a better team, we as a club are not in the position to be turning down talent of this level. Firstly because we simply do not have the personnel that will keep him out of the team already, and secondly, we at this moment do not have the pull to attract elite level players. If we let him move to another club as a stepping stone and he does well there, we allow clubs stronger than us to enter the bidding war and our fans will lament as to why we didn't sign him in the first place. At that point, he may become unattainable for us.

The brackets available to us are really as follows:
1. Taking chances on top talents doing big numbers in weaker leagues, who may prove to be a dud but have ridiculous potential if they work - e.g. Haaland in this case;
2. Seasoned veterans looking for a last opportunity who are very short term, and pretty much past their peak - Mandzukic tier players etc. (could possibly include the likes of Muller here);
3. Mid level proven players who will get into our team, but do not necessarily have enough to elevate beyond being good players, as they possess visible flaws that will not be removed from their game. Think Lukaku's level when we actually signed him.
thanks, this makes perfect sense and you surely know better for your team... also your three brackets are clever and I understand fans wanting more 1s like this kid than 2s like Mandzukic or 3s like Can but I am pretty sure Allegri would go for 2s and 3s so we will see.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Dude, this is Manchester United. Get a grip.
You probably did not. You just felt that writing it would give you some sort of «condescending edge». It really dont. I’m not sure why you would resort to it. Maybe you dont trust that your arguments would give you enough edge.

These type of remarks, and similar with «laughing emojis», in here is so sad. You can in many cases sense that people are not smiling or laughing at all. Instead they seem tense and frustrated, unable to get their opinion across in a decent manner.
Håland basically called Ole his father-figure during their time together in Molde.
It's still too early to make such a childish comment about Ole. Ole is clearly at least 2 top players away from having a team that does not have giant holes in it, whether he can last long enough to get those 2 players remains to be seen.

But if we're judging him by how he manages young players, Daniel James and Scott McTominay have been our 2 best players this season, with Tuanzebe looking like he'll make a big impact too. So in terms of getting the best out of kids, Ole seems to be doing something right.

I'd like to see an Ole team with Zakaria and a top striker added like Erling or Moussa Dembele before we can truly judge.
My eyes bleed reading this.

Yeah mate, pick Salzburg over United any day.

You'd be dumbest footballer to deny United when they are crying for a striker.

Join here, be a world renowned star. Just like that.
This could possibly be the dumbest thing I have read in a long time.
I don’t know the team behind Erling Håland but the reason that he took the sensible step and went to Salzburg tells me that his advisers knows a thing or two about how to mentor a raw talent. It’s no coincidence that Red Bull Salzburg/Leipzig has several top talented youngsters in their squads. They take good care of their talents and they let them work in a good environment without to much pressure. The opposite from us.

Sadio Mané is probably one of the best examples how to take step by step to reach full potential. I’m pretty sure that Team Håland has closely studied his case and that his route is probably one of the safest way to go all the way.

Erling is still raw in his style and his physique isn’t fully developed. He sound like a levelheaded young man but we never fully know what money and fame can do to us. Going to United will elevate his status and with that comes enormous pressure. In my opinion he’s to young for this.

Whatever we think it’s a fact that Ole is among the worst managers in the PL. Results don’t lie. With our resources it’s embarrassing to watch us play. United play dreadful football with him in charge. No striker will excel in this environment, we don’t create enough chances for that.

Why should Håland chose to jeopardize his future by going to such a mess? Makes no sense except quick money.

Ole is in worst case scenario only a couple games away from being sacked. If we are close to relegation when Christmas is coming then nobody knows how the owners reacts. The same if we end up between place 7-10 at the end of the season. There is no guarantees with this kind of results. Ole is a dead man walking going by this seasons results.

Do you honestly think that Håland and his team is stupid enough to gamble in such circumstances. One or two bad seasons with us and his career will take a serious nose dive. He’s only a teenager and he needs to be carefully nurtured to maximize his talent.

Sorry to say but Ole Gunnar so far hasn’t shown anything that tells me he will stay with us long term. Frankly the opposite. Any other conclusions is only wishful thinking not based on reality.

meamth

I don’t know the team behind Erling Håland but the reason that he took the sensible step and went to Salzburg tells me that his advisers knows a thing or two about how to mentor a raw talent. It’s no coincidence that Red Bull Salzburg/Leipzig has several top talented youngsters in their squads. They take good care of their talents and they let them work in a good environment without to much pressure. The opposite from us.

Sadio Mané is probably one of the best examples how to take step by step to reach full potential. I’m pretty sure that Team Håland has closely studied his case and that his route is probably one of the safest way to go all the way.

Erling is still raw in his style and his physique isn’t fully developed. He sound like a levelheaded young man but we never fully know what money and fame can do to us. Going to United will elevate his status and with that comes enormous pressure. In my opinion he’s to young for this.

Whatever we think it’s a fact that Ole is among the worst managers in the PL. Results don’t lie. With our resources it’s embarrassing to watch us play. United play dreadful football with him in charge. No striker will excel in this environment, we don’t create enough chances for that.

Why should Håland chose to jeopardize his future by going to such a mess? Makes no sense except quick money.

Ole is in worst case scenario only a couple games away from being sacked. If we are close to relegation when Christmas is coming then nobody knows how the owners reacts. The same if we end up between place 7-10 at the end of the season. There is no guarantees with this kind of results. Ole is a dead man walking going by this seasons results.

Do you honestly think that Håland and his team is stupid enough to gamble in such circumstances. One or two bad seasons with us and his career will take a serious nose dive. He’s only a teenager and he needs to be carefully nurtured to maximize his talent.

Sorry to say but Ole Gunnar so far hasn’t shown anything that tells me he will stay with us long term. Frankly the opposite. Any other conclusions is only wishful thinking not based on reality.
You pretty sure, but you didn't know fecking shyte. Nobody does.

If he performed so well this season, scoring 30-40 goals, why would he join Southampton/Ajax/Monaco etc???

If this window, Real Madrid, Psg, United, Bayern came calling, you would choose another stepping up club?

The club is in control now of his future, whatever the feck you're saying up there. If they received a huge bid, why would they accept a bid for Southampton for his development's sake. Fecking clueless.

Nonsense.

Tarrou

This thread reminds me a bit of when Harry Kane broke out. There were debates on here whether he can maintain his form or whether we should wait and see, then after a couple of years of top form he was out of reach.

I don't think we have the luxury of waiting. We should just take a risk and go for him now, and even then it isn't a sure thing that we'd get him.

We desperately need a proper striker IMO. It isn't ideal because he's still very young but who else is there that is obtainable? We can't wait around for Martial or Rashford to put it together.

DBT85

This thread reminds me a bit of when Harry Kane broke out. There were debates on here whether he can maintain his form or whether we should wait and see, then after a couple of years of top form he was out of reach.

I don't think we have the luxury of waiting. We should just take a risk and go for him now, and even then it isn't a sure thing that we'd get him.

We desperately need a proper striker IMO. It isn't ideal because he's still very young but who else is there that is obtainable? We can't wait around for Martial or Rashford to put it together.
A player in his form and with the apparent ability he has can choose where he wants to go in the summer, little different to De Ligt or De Jong. If he kept up anything close to this level of performance there would be at least half a dozen big teams in for him, most of which would have CL football next year and fighting or their league title. He'd be mad to come to United in this current climate when he's probably have offers from Madrid, Barca, Athleti, Juve, etc etc etc. I hate to say it as he's the kind of signing we would have made in years gone by.

I think he fits what we'd want without doubt, young, hungry and great talent but with Martial and Rashford already here and Greenwood on the way through, I think we'd probably go for someone with experience.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A player in his form and with the apparent ability he has can choose where he wants to go in the summer, little different to De Ligt or De Jong. If he kept up anything close to this level of performance there would be at least half a dozen big teams in for him, most of which would have CL football next year and fighting or their league title. He'd be mad to come to United in this current climate when he's probably have offers from Madrid, Barca, Athleti, Juve, etc etc etc. I hate to say it as he's the kind of signing we would have made in years gone by.

I think he fits what we'd want without doubt, young, hungry and great talent but with Martial and Rashford already here and Greenwood on the way through, I think we'd probably go for someone with experience.
Depends on the quality and age of the experienced player for me. If it's the likes of Mandzukic then I'd rather than a top young CF. If we're going for ''experience' it should be someone under 27/28.

DBT85

Depends on the quality and age of the experienced player for me. If it's the likes of Mandzukic then I'd rather than a top young CF. If we're going for ''experience' it should be someone under 27/28.
I agree. But who fecking knows what goes on in our transfer committee.

EDIt: I've just found a firefox extension that will correctly spell cnut and fecking. Finally I can read the site and not feel like a naughty 10 year old.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I agree. But who fecking knows what goes on in our transfer committee.

EDIt: I've just found a firefox extension that will correctly spell cnut and fecking. Finally I can read the site and not feel like a naughty 10 year old.
Committee of C nuts. Need this Feck ing player asap.

Didn't see that coming did you?

zenith

I'd love for us to get both manduzic in Jan on a 1.5 or 2 year contract and this guy as well. It'll keep the pressure off him and give us enough striking options.

lysglimt

Scout

My reaction wasn't to whether Haaland should choose to go to United - it was to a guy claiming Haaland shouldn't go to United because OGS is the Worst manager in the League. If anyone seriously believe that Haaland is in any way negative to the guy who took him from being a talent who had shown nothing in terms of goals, on the pitch to being one of the most talented 17 year olds in the business - and a little more than 1 year later to being one of the hottest Properties in football, then I stand by my comments.

Haaland has several times said that OGS was a very good coach - and I find it quite laughable when some guy on a forum is convinced he wouldn't go near OGS because he is the worst coach in the world. Well - what would Haaland know ? If Haaland decides to go to United - it will be for one reason only, OGS!

troylocker

Some numbers for this season:

Austrian bundesliga: A goal every 60 minutes. (top scorer of the tournament)
CL: A goal every 31 minutes (top scorer of the tournament)
Austrian cup: A goal every 15 minutes (top scorer of the tournament)
U20 World cup: A goal every 30 minutes (top scorer of the tournament)
Euro qualifiers (Norway): 0 goals in 90 minutes

Total: 29 goals in 1264 minutes in all tournaments (plus 5 assists)

Best conversionrate in the CL for all players scoring more than 1 goal: 0,6 goals per shoot (cleanest finisher in the business)

If we are lucky enough to get this guy in January, he should go directly into the team as the #1 striker.
Should get the chance to prove himself at any top club from the start really. In my opinion he should be worth the risk, and I really can't see why he should need more time at lower level clubs to develop. He is obviously too good for the Austrian league. This guy has the mentality and ability to succeed right away.

Reactions: Invictus

troylocker

Just a small silly comparison with another player who came through the Austrian bundesliga:

Sadio Mane (played for RB Salzburg from 2012-14 at the age 20-22) :
31 league goals in 6310 minutes -> a goal every 204 minutes
4 goals in 1170 minutes of CL qualifiers, EL qualifiers and EL -> a goal every 293 minutes

Not a 100% fair comparison since they don't play the same position, but 19 year old Haaland deserves the hype for his performances this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

lysglimt

Scout
And here is what Haaland said about OGS recently:

– Han har hatt stor innvirkning på livet mitt, både som person og som trener. Han vant Champions League og var en utrolig god spiller. Han har lært meg veldig mye. Solskjær er en fantastisk person og en veldig god trener. Han er en av årsakene til at jeg er her i dag, sa Haaland.

Translated: He has had a big influence on my Life, both as a person and as a coach. He won the C.L and was an incredibly good player. He has taught me lot. OGS is a fantastic person and a really good coach, and he is one of the reasons why I am here today.

GBBQ

I don't think we have the luxury of waiting. We should just take a risk and go for him now,
I think its the opposite, we've too many young players with potential who we are banking on coming good. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are years away from their expected peak years. We don't have the luxury of investing in a potential world beater, we need someone who is ready now.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Salzburg have rich owners but their revenue is very low. And no, 30-40 million is not peanuts. It's just peanuts to the PL clubs who are awful in transfer market, with more money than sense.

They’re still a wealthy club. They’re under zero pressure to sell.

Premier League clubs aren’t the only ones spending big money. And Salzburg know how much PL clubs have and aren’t about to accept a bid of 30-40m. Seriously, it won’t happen.

You can start at the 60-80m range easily. If he scores any more in the CL or goes on a EL run, you can probably add to that. Regardless of which league they play in, no club is letting a full international wonder kid go for 30-40 in this market.

They’d be barmy to do so. There will be competition for his signature and the price will go up.