EU Referendum Results Thread | Leave have won, Cameron resigns

How did you vote to this: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 321 75.5%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 80 18.8%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 24 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Makes me laugh how many remain voters are convinced us Leave voters are just voting because we're idiots and racist or whatever you want to come up with. Regarding immigration I think people who aren't European should have just as much chance as Europeans regarding coming to Britain. I'm not so certain that makes me racist.
They do...they quite literally come to Britain in similar numbers as non-Europeans.

Minimalist

Makes me laugh how many remain voters are convinced us Leave voters are just voting because we're idiots and racist or whatever you want to come up with. Regarding immigration I think people who aren't European should have just as much chance as Europeans regarding coming to Britain. I'm not so certain that makes me racist.
About as vague as it gets.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
If Labour were to back EVEL wholeheartedly they might draw back some of those voters lost to UKIP.

Drainy

All I can say is the Remain backers have made a very poor argument!
It's hard to argue with idiots.

The working class voters who are voting against the EU don't want to hear about what it does for them, they only care about the eastern European immigrants who moved down the road.
That and the demagoguery about human rights of Islamic extremists

One person on my facebook was saying the EU does nothing to protect employment rights of workers because of Sports Direct- to which I pointed out that the EU directives of work protect the rights of workers but a) people will always break the law and b) its down to the UK to enforce the law

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
There is no way electoral reform will happen. We will have the number of MPs reduced to 600, and a House of Lords of over 1000 unelected Peers. Democracy!
UKIP are going to be huge in the next four years and will push for it. It might force Labour to follow their lead (shudders), which would snowball the whole thing and make it happen, sooner or later. I feel some reform is inevitable in the next 15 years.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Less people from outside the EU will now be coming to the UK, if the leavers stick to their promises on immigration.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Maybe because we can't think of any other reasons why someone would vote to basically flip a coin and hope it doesn''t land on 'destroy the UK economy and unity'.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Democracy is fun but stressful, it's much more relaxing in 3rd world countries, we don't get to make any decisions.
i think your partially right but i also think we massivly overestimated how well save our economy would work among people on zero hour contracts

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
UKIP are going to be huge in the next four years and will push for it. It might force Labour to follow their lead (shudders), which would snowball the whole thing and make it happen, sooner or later. I feel some reform is inevitable in the next 15 years.
I can honestly see UKIP falling away to an extent now they've gotten what they wanted. Boris becomes Tory leader, does very little about the supposed ails of the EU, while Farage and co get alienated at being on the fringes.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Sake, I'm now also going to be far more concerned of Trump winning.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
If Labour were to back EVEL wholeheartedly they might draw back some of those voters lost to UKIP.
EVEL is a pisspoor piecemeal reform, ill thought through and done for political purposes. It is time for a written constitution and a proper constitutional settlement, especially now if we have to rewrite a large number of our laws once we leave the EU.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Its over guys, theres no way that the deficit can be clawed back, the rest of the UK is voting leave, including wales.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If Labour were to back EVEL wholeheartedly they might draw back some of their voters lost to UKIP.
I think Labour is dead, to be honest. They will be hated by the working class who evidently have supported leave and they will be hated by the middle class who wanted them to support remain far better than they did. If Leave wins, there is no opposition, for the time being.

HabeasC

This is entirely Cameron's fault if we end up voting to leave. He basically used the referendum to get back into power and allowed people who have been fed mistruths about the EU for years to vote on our participation when they have no conception of the consequences of doing so.

Panther

Stupid question but if I changed £100 into dollars at 9pm last night, how much would it be worth now?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
EVEL is a pisspoor piecemeal reform, ill thought through and done for political purposes. It is time for a written constitution and a proper constitutional settlement, especially now if we have to rewrite a large number of our laws once we leave the EU.
Yep, essentially only done for the benefit of the cnutish Tory party.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I can honestly see UKIP falling away to an extent now they've gotten what they wanted. Boris becomes Tory leader, does very little about the supposed ails of the EU, while Farage and co get alienated at being on the fringes.
I think they'll clean up the North of England at the next election.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So depressing this, it's going to get real bad. The remain campaign people did an awful job

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Edinburgh result great....immediately cancelled out by Doncaster and Bolton. Leave can't be caught now surely.

Fergies Gum

What was going on in the markets yesterday when they were so positive all day?

Various hedge funds/ financial companies did their own exit polls, so would that have not made the markets jittery and come crashing down as they got the polling data.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Ah ffs i was supposed to move to amsterdam permeanantly in about a month, im guessing this is going to make that a whole lot more difficult.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Cameron ought to resign for allowing this to happen. Corbyn needs to use this result and struggle in the Conservative party to galvanise support for Labour, Peston reckons there could be a national election coming.