EU Referendum Results Thread | Leave have won, Cameron resigns

How did you vote to this: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 321 75.5%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 80 18.8%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 24 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I admit it will be fun to watch Blair, Brown, Cameron, and Osborne squeal in horror and face a repudiation (more than just a normal electoral defeat) but, like with voting for Trump to humiliate Hillary, the costs aren't worth it.

bri2013

It's hard to argue with idiots.

The working class voters who are voting against the EU don't want to hear about what it does for them, they only care about the eastern European immigrants who moved down the road.
That and the demagoguery about human rights of Islamic extremists

One person on my facebook was saying the EU does nothing to protect employment rights of workers because of Sports Direct- to which I pointed out that the EU directives of work protect the rights of workers but a) people will always break the law and b) its down to the UK to enforce the law
I have read this post a few times and still have no idea what you are talking about.

Sigma

How many no voters like yourself do you think this could sway to yes? I've always held the opinion that there's just too many unionists in this country to ever have a majority voting for independence but I'd love to be proven wrong.
I've got no idea, but we've seen a huge swing towards remain in Edinburgh in Glasgow and basically all of Scotland is yellow so I defiantly think it's a possibility.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Nah. Labour is fecked. As is the left in this country generally.

It was built upon the self interest of the working classes in the North, and they have turned away from Westminster and turned away from reason. If you don't pander to their anti-immigration sentiment you will not win back their votes, but the educated/graduate/liberal-elite left want nothing to do with such sentiment. I don't think the same party can appeal to both any longer.
Unfortunately, and maybe it's just the emotion ruling my head at the moment but seems clear to my current brain, I agree. The coalition has fallen apart.

I can only hope at this stage that "Project Fear" really was a lot of bullshit scaremongering, because otherwise a lot of people are about to be shat on economically.

hobbers

This would be a really great time for Labour to ditch Corbyn and actually get someone in who could win an election. Since there may well be one sooner than later.

Sylar

Vale of White Horse is a place.
My geography is not as good as I thought it was.

Minimalist

Time to weigh up the options for where to move to when I finish my PhD.

I'm from a working class background, as are all my family. Apparently though because I like the options available in Europe for work (research in my case) and living arrangements, that probably makes me a toff to the leavers.

Watershed moment for the country. Totally shit the bed.

Farage: "I now dare to dream that the dawn is coming up on an independent United Kingdom."

Baxter

Look at the replies on that. fecking cnuts.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Ladbrokes - Leave 1/6. These are the ones to look to in terms of political betting. Looking harder and harder for the Remain camp to claw this back.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I can't see anything else than another ref soon. And I'll be voting yes again. Mentalists south of the border.
I know this isn't really the place for such discussion, but if you believe in local rule/independence, then why are some Scottish nationalists so pro-EU?

To me the EU makes no secret of intentions to one day be a state, so what difference does Indy from UK make?

Paging @Cheesy for this one too.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I don't understand how these politicans can be proud of the leave vote, putting the country in another recession, how is that cheerable

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
How many no voters like yourself do you think this could sway to yes? I've always held the opinion that there's just too many unionists in this country to ever have a majority voting for independence but I'd love to be proven wrong.
Just tonight I didn't think it'd be enough, even with a Leave. But now...seeing these massive Remain majorities compared to England, I'm struggling to see any justification as to why we should continue to be a part of this union. The economic arguments seem silly now when we're seeing the way the pound is performing, and I suspect this isn't just a sole feeling...what the feck do unionists argue for now?

Ruth Davidson, for example, performed well in the elections, but how does she succeed now when she's been on a pro-EU platform that has been annihilated? The SNP can at least argue they warned us this could happen, but the other parties have always told us everything would be fine. If it isn't...I don't see why we'll remain in the union apart from simply not being allowed to leave.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't understand how these politicans can be proud of the leave vote, putting the country in another recession, how is that cheerable
They don't care, they're minted, the pain of the common man is the only thing that gives them excitement at this point.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Did Boris actually make the difference?
Would more Labour supporters have voted differently if we had had a year of Burnham as leader instead of Corbyn?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
This might sound silly but would a leave vote effect Holiday Insurance in Europe and using the European Health Card?
not in the immediate future, we will be leagally part of the EU for the next 2 years at least, after that you will probably have to have separate health insurance when you travel to europe

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I know this isn't really the place for such discussion, but if you believe in local rule/independence, then why are some Scottish nationalists so pro-EU?

To me the EU makes no secret of intentions to one day be a state, so what difference does Indy from UK make?

Paging @Cheesy for this one too.
This does concern me, but I'd argue that the EU is still far, far away from being a state, and would likely see extreme opposition from actually becoming one. I just have no faith whatsoever in the figures likely to be leading the UK if we leave, or the ones currently in charge.

I've become increasingly sceptical of the SNP recently...but a campaign like this reminds me of the fact that figures like Salmond and Sturgeon are truly committed to independence, unlike the selfish self-interest of guys like Boris and Cameron.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Did Boris actually make the difference?
Would more Labour supporters have voted differently if we had had a year of Burnham as leader instead of Corbyn?
I'm honestly not so sure. The problem for Labour is that this issue runs far, far deeper than Corbyn. I think you'd need an inspirational, once in a generation type figure to reverse some of the trends we've seen.