EU Referendum Results Thread | Leave have won, Cameron resigns

How did you vote to this: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 321 75.5%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 80 18.8%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 24 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Emotion always carries the day....or I should say Fear. :(
but everyone was expecting fear of losing your job to win the day.... we forgot the amount of people whose jobs are minimum hour contracts or hardly making a living and are better of on the dole! so the fear of losing your job isn't their among them.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Ah ffs i was supposed to move to amsterdam permeanantly in about a month, im guessing this is going to make that a whole lot more difficult.
Nope you should be OK. The process of leaving will not be instant, but gradual.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I think Labour is dead, to be honest. They will be hated by the working class who evidently have supported leave and they will be hated by the middle class who wanted them to support remain far better than they did. If Leave wins, there is no opposition, for the time being.
It could be the same to what happened to the Liberals after WW1. From Government to obscurity in 10 years.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Ah ffs i was supposed to move to amsterdam permeanantly in about a month, im guessing this is going to make that a whole lot more difficult.
Free movement will still be in action for a solid couple of years yet, just get over there, dig your feet in and marry a nice Dutch girl.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Cameron ought to resign for allowing this to happen. Corbyn needs to use this result and struggle in the Conservative party to galvanise support for Labour, Peston reckons there could be a national election coming.
Cameron is done, if we vote to leave. He has no wish to stay on. Only the Leave campaign want him to stay.

Untied

If Labour were to back EVEL wholeheartedly they might draw back some of those voters lost to UKIP.
Nah. Labour is fecked. As is the left in this country generally.

It was built upon the self interest of the working classes in the North, and they have turned away from Westminster and turned away from reason. If you don't pander to their anti-immigration sentiment you will not win back their votes, but the educated/graduate/liberal-elite left want nothing to do with such sentiment. I don't think the same party can appeal to both any longer.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
at half way stage of regions declared (195/382), its 52:48 in favour of LEAVE (500k majority).

Better or worse, history is being made.

Baxter

Agree, I voted no in 2014, but I think this would sway my decision the other way.
I can't see anything else than another ref soon. And I'll be voting yes again. Mentalists south of the border.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Agree, I voted no in 2014, but I think this would sway my decision the other way.
We seem incompatible with the UK at this stage. We are utterly against them on this issue, we abhor the UK's main anti-EU party, and are likely to have as our PM a man so disliked that the fecking Scottish Tories are going to disassociate from him.:lol:

All the economic arguments concerning how doomed we supposedly were in 2014 seem so irrelevant now seeing this. Wasted arguments from Tory and Labour figures so arrogant they believed nothing could ever go against them.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Looks settled to me. It's disappointing but on the other hand it's a relief for me that i rejected a job offer and a move for the Uk. Prefer to stay in the continent with this kind of enviroment. I still wish the best for uk people. Polarizing referendum but it's the peoples choice that should prevail

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
There's going to be another Scottish Referendum, then it will just be England Wales and Northern Ireland, with no EU. Next few years are going to be insane.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Nah. Labour is fecked. As is the left in this country generally.

It was built upon the self interest of the working classes in the North, and they have turned away from Westminster and turned away from reason. If you don't pander to their anti-immigration sentiment you will not win back their votes, but the educated/graduate/liberal-elite left want nothing to do with such sentiment. I don't think the same party can appeal to both any longer.
Yup.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
EVEL is a pisspoor piecemeal reform, ill thought through and done for political purposes. It is time for a written constitution and a proper constitutional settlement, especially now if we have to rewrite a large number of our laws once we leave the EU.
Well of course we've bungled our implementation of devolution, that goes without saying. However in the aftermath of last year's GE, some Labour MPs were expressing the need for more English focused policies (admittedly this was just after the SNP's landslide).

montpelier

This is entirely Cameron's fault if we end up voting to leave. He basically used the referendum to get back into power and allowed people who have been fed mistruths about the EU for years to vote on our participation when they have no conception of the consequences of doing so.
And campaigned on a patronising 'you can trust me when I say this to you' ticket - the bloke tells lies every time he opens his over-sized upper class trap

Oo0AahCantona

Literally time to move to Toronto, and take my student debt with me. feck this, If only there was a way to purge stupid people.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Cameron ought to resign for allowing this to happen. Corbyn needs to use this result and struggle in the Conservative party to galvanise support for Labour, Peston reckons there could be a national election coming.
One can argue that Labour have done worse than the Conservatives. The conservatives voted as they were always likely to vote.
Remain depended on the Labour vote. And Labour voters have deserted

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
No but alas my suggestions that folk should be euthanased at 60 don't seem to be popular.
Thoroughly depressing so I'm going to bed. Stellar work @Damien, much appreciated.

I was arguing this at the pub last night and got unanimously shouted down, it didn't help that all but one of them were pensioners I suppose.
The Boomer generation, who've shaped the late 20th and early 21st centuries with the their post-war progressive counter culture, have left a terrible legacy of debt and inequality in their wake, by becoming the very anarchic obstacles they strove against, refusing to relinquish or compromise their power for the betterment of the next generation.

The fact the young no longer have agency over their own future is a big, big problem.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Maybe because we can't think of any other reasons why someone would vote to basically flip a coin and hope it doesn''t land on 'destroy the UK economy and unity'.
The economy has been on its arse for years in the EU

Panther

So I worked this out and if you changed £1000 into dollars at 11pm last night, you'd have had $1500. If you changed them back now, you'd have made £68.

Drainy

The left in the UK is fecked for a long time

Tories will in in charge for a long time, without the EU they will do what they want and the working class refuse to back industrial action so all the power is with government and employers

The north and Wales voting against the EU is so against their own interests it's quite galling

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
One can argue that Labour have done worse than the Conservatives. The conservatives voted as they were always likely to vote.
Remain depended on the Labour vote. And Labour voters have deserted
I feel Corbyn's stand offish nature really hurt the traditional Labour vote on this, I wouldn't be surprised if this triggered leadership elections for both parties.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The Boomer generation, who've shaped the late 20th and early 21st centuries with the their post-war progressive counter culture, have left a terrible legacy of debt and inequality in their wake, by becoming the very anarchic obstacles they strove against, refusing to relinquish or compromise their power for the betterment of the next generation.

The fact the young no longer have agency over their own future is a big, big problem.
Yeah, good post. I have nothing against old people and hate to generalise (because I do know sensible Remainers, and there will be informed Brexiters), but it's quite depressing as someone quite young to know that this issue is being swayed by people much, much less likely to see the long-term effects of it.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
How many no voters like yourself do you think this could sway to yes? I've always held the opinion that there's just too many unionists in this country to ever have a majority voting for independence but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Well of course we've bungled our implementation of devolution, that goes without saying. However in the aftermath of last year's GE, some Labour MPs were expressing the need for more English focused policies (admittedly this was just after the SNP's landslide).
Regardless of where we all stand politically, we have an opportunity to effect real change for the UK now. My fear is that the brexit will be dealt with piecemeal, leaving problems for the future, like the devolution settlements have done.

Sylar

The leave wins in the "smaller" areas are quite big whilst the remain wins are quite close (which is