EU Referendum Results Thread | Leave have won, Cameron resigns

How did you vote to this: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 321 75.5%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 80 18.8%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 24 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Tell that to North Korea, in fact by the sounds of it a lot of current caftards would prefer to be living in a communist state.
Just want to live somewhere the elected members of state do their jobs.

Bojan11

The referendum result could damage the chances of Tata Steel maintaining its operations in the UK, the country’s biggest steel producer, according to a person close to the company.

Its shares fell by 7.1 per cent on Friday morning in Mumbai, a drop beaten only by the 11.6 per cent decline for sister company Tata Motors, which also has a major UK subsidiary in the form of Jaguar Land Rover.

Tata will soon announce a final shortlist of two, from the seven bidders who expressed interest in buying its UK steel operations, but it has also been in talks with the government about support measures that could enable it to stay.

There will now be “recalibration” following the news that the UK will leave the EU, a major market for Tata Steel UK, the person said. “This could change everything.”

The Bombay Stock Exchange’s benchmark Sensex fell 3.4 per cent on Friday morning. As well as the Tata companies, banks were also hit hard, with ICICI Bank down 6.9 per cent, and Axis Bank falling 5

Minimalist

I'm not really clued in. I was for staying by the way before anyone pipes up.

What I have said though is no one knows what will really happen if we leave. You can either be scared by this and run around trying to whip everyone into a frenzy or you can be curious/excited and see what happens. Either way the effects won't actually be seen for sometime but I doubt they will be noticed by the average person in day to day life.
Companies have already started commenting. This is starting now - it's not scare mongering.

They will move offices and people will lose jobs.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Considering the entirety of Scotland voted to remain, I think it's safe to say that this will lead to another independence referendum for Scotland. No idea what that means for Wales and Northern Ireland, though. I guess it depends on how much they really want to stay in the EU.
I personally planned leaving the UK in the next 3 years before the referendum for a different culture. but now its most likely going to be 2 years.

Seems more of my time and energy will be spent preparing and spent on personal development, I really don't understand the vote tonight.

I don't trust any candidates in government right now. The day when Farage and Boris win is a sad day for Britain.

The NHS, the Education system here and job market is going to be a crater for a little while, more cuts, lessen defence budget again. Great.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

What I have said though is no one knows what will really happen if we leave. You can either be scared by this and run around trying to whip everyone into a frenzy or you can be curious/excited and see what happens. Either way the effects won't actually be seen for sometime but I doubt they will be noticed by the average person in day to day life.
Jesus Christ. I'm not even in the UK and I am more scared than you are. I don't know if you're a UKIP member but this isn't something to be excited about.

TheReligion

Abusive
People seem to think leaving the EU means countries will lose their common sense and alienate the UK. That might be true if the EU was all prosperity and happiness - it isn't.

Deals will have to be made to suit all parties. This is just as hard for the EU members than it is for the UK. The pound will remain as it has for hundreds of years. The euro has crashed and destroyed economies within the EU.

Let's just see what happens.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

You see though, people do know. Can someone put their finger on the specifics? No. But if you truly believe that there will not be an economic collapse because of this then it is misguided. You're more than welcome to ignore it and be excited and wait and see what happens by all means. But forgive the rest of us for being a bit more pessimistic. For one, in my work I already know some of my clients are considering restructuring and moving out of London.

Silva

People seem to think leaving the EU means countries will lose their common sense and alienate the UK. That might be true if the EU was all prosperity and happiness - it isn't.

Deals will have to be made to suit all parties. This is just as hard for the EU members than it is for the UK. The pound will remain as it has for hundreds of years. The euro has crashed and destroyed economies within the EU.

They don't have another choice. If they don't feck Britain over, there may be other referendums and possible exists which would be even worse for the EU.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst

villain

Hates Beyoncé

A few people I know who work in the finance industry in the City of London, have already been informed (since last month) that should a vote to leave the EU, then there will be discussions about moving headquarters elsewhere in the EU reasonably quickly.

Keenst

Sinn Feinn already talking about the need for a poll/referendum on unity in Northern Ireland due to the fact they also had a majority remain vote.

RoadTrip

Let me ask you this. If Morgan Stanley wants to move its head quarters out of London (as it no longer has access to the single market) to Frankfurt, why would Germany make a deal in the interest of London rather than itself?

You're looking at it incredibly narrowly. It's easy to just write off these things as speculation and scare mongering but this is real. If you think my example is purely hypothetical, then perhaps research and you'll see this was an option that MS would consider per the head of MSs mouth.

Untied

Leave (Gisela Stuart) talking about winning against money:

"The sum raised by all registered leave campaigners was £8.2m - higher than the remain campaigners' £7.5m."

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Leave (Gisela Stuart) talking about winning against money:

"The sum raised by all registered leave campaigners was £8.2m - higher than the remain campaigners' £7.5m."
Arron Banks earlier said he'd donated £6m (I think it was 6). Not sure if that is just on the referendum or generally to anti-EU causes.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The political class, the media, the corporates, none of them thought we'd dare to rock the boat. Well we're rockin now.

Oh, and the pollsters got in a muddle again.

RoadTrip

Arron Banks earlier said he'd donated £6m (I think it was 6). Not sure if that is just on the referendum or generally to anti-EU causes.
That's a seperate campaign. Sounds odd I know but he was talking about Leave.EU, whereas Gisele is part of the official Vote Leave campaign.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
That's a seperate campaign. Sounds odd I know but he was talking about Leave.EU, whereas Gisele is part of the official Vote Leave campaign.
Ah yeah of course. Shows just how much money went on leaving though.