g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

EU Referendum Results Thread | Leave have won, Cameron resigns

How did you vote to this: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 321 75.5%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 80 18.8%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 24 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Feel a bit sick tbh.

I don't share the popular opinion on here of recessions and a ruined economy but I did have a bid accepted on a house which I'm now going to have to withdraw :(
I feel for you, blame the moronic British public

TrustInJanuzaj

You don't see the hypocrisy in generalising Leavers as racist?
I don't think they are all racist just as they arnt all stupid people, but what I can say is that the majority are either stupid or racist and that without those people remain would win by a landslide.

Revan

Assumptionman
Britain, you fecking idiots! This came completely unexpected. I feel sorry for those who voted remain, and really hope that those who voted leave pushed by xenophobic motives will pay for this.

Untied

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this map not show Remain winning, or having down well, in areas were immigrants actually live and overwhelming Leave majorities in rural and semi-rural locations where immigrants don't live? The only place that doesn't seem true of is Birmingham, but even then its a close to 50/50 split.
Just did a quick count using the Guardian charts. Out of 28 regions with >30% immigrant populations only 3 voted Leave.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I don't understand this. I genuinely can't grasp how leave won. Maybe I'm missing something, being Belgian and not having followed this from the very beginning but seriously, why? How on earth do you lot gain from this?
It's more than just this idea of racist bigotry. Basically you look at the areas and how they voted and it reflects how well they've either prospered under EU or seen their industry decline and their communities suffer. The whole thing is incredibly close. I know a lot of NHS employees who have voted leave, NHS employees who have felt marginalised and seen their jobs farmed out not through any fault of their own but because they had reached a zenith of pay and forced to go onto agency work with no guaranteed hours.

I also know a lot of people who voted leave not because they want to not leave Europe, but because of the democratic issues involved with Brussels ( The administrative system of European Government which is very much in the pockets of large business). For example, TTIP as well which was the largest kiss off to corporate America & Europe and would have guaranteed the further erosion of the NHS to the point of destruction and would write into EU law the culpability of the TAX payer to cover company loss of profit in what they claim are anti competitive national policies as well as and this was a big one Financial Bailouts being guaranteed.

It's not been as Black and White as is being made out. Those that voted to leave are not racists bigots and those that wanted to remain were not traitors.

Revan

Assumptionman
feck, pound has had its biggest fall in the last 30 years, Here is our transfer season fecked now.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The correlation based on education/qualifications is stunning. Only places that fall outside it are in Scotland, which are more remain than the norm.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good luck to people going on holiday, have to take more money now, the exchange rate will be fecked. Nice to see anyone who voted out wasn't looking at the bigger picture

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The correlation based on education/qualifications is stunning. Only places that fall outside it are in Scotland, which are more remain than the norm.
I was so happy when Scotland voted to stay with the rest of us - now I absolutely support their independence so that they can join the EU.

Revan

Assumptionman
Will Scotland make an another referendum now considering that they voted to stay in EU?

NinjaFletch

Will Scotland make an another referendum now considering that they voted to stay in EU?
I reckon they'll give it a few months to let the dust settle and see where we stand.

If its anything like what I fear it is then its the end of the Union.

Ireland's probably gone too.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Wow Absolutely brilliant news to wake up to, so much for getting the rich to try sway votes, I'm obviously in the minority on here that voted leave but I'm proud of it.

According to our regional news in yorkshire It was 58% 42% split so not even really close.

Skills

Snitch
Good luck to people going on holiday, have to take more money now, the exchange rate will be fecked. Nice to see anyone who voted out wasn't looking at the bigger picture
On the other I have quite a bit of euros stuck in belgium from when i worked there, so I can now finally bring them back

TrustInJanuzaj

Wow Absolutely brilliant news to wake up to, so much for getting the rich to try sway votes, I'm obviously in the minority on here that voted leave but I'm proud of it.

According to our regional news in yorkshire It was 58% 42% split so not even really close.
What was your reason for voting leave?

Untied

Corbyn arguing that article 50 should be invoked now and every effort should be made to protect British jobs even though an immediate invokation will hasten the relocation plans of many businesses (particularly financial services — 13% of our exports)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Unfortunately, in a close-run poll, the ones who are racist have probably made the difference.
Absolutely, but don't ignore the large chunk of voters who had different motives.

Smores

Corbyn arguing that article 50 should be invoked now and every effort should be made to protect British jobs even though an immediate invokation will hasten the relocation plans of many businesses (particularly financial services — 13% of our exports)
What makes you think we'll see financial services leave? Not my expectation at all

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
It is clear he wants to get Cameron to wreck the economy and benefit from it, whilst appearing reasonable.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I imagine so. It'll hinge on whether polls show a majority for independence. But this is quite likely to swing it. It's less than two years since the last one so I can see the SNP taking some time to let momentum build again but aiming to do so within this parliament if the popular support is there.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The name-calling lost it for Remain. I think most of the Leavers knew it made economic sense to stay, but every time someone called them racist, stupid, little Englander, or too old to be allowed to vote, then a few more said well feck you.

Bojan11

Absolutely, but don't ignore the large chunk of voters who had different motives.
This.

17 million voted to leave. They can't all be racist.

I voted to remain. But the remain campaign did a terrible job of explaining the benefits. Where as leave campaign already have lied about NHS and immigration.

Kostur

海尔的老板
The thought of Merkel & rest of those feckers absolutely shitting themselves right now is putting a huge smile on my face. Good job Britain, you just won future free of bullshit bureaucratic that in no way should be controlling your country. Hopefully it's the start of EU's downfall.

Untied

I know I have a tendency to be an elitist so I apologise in advance (I am aware this is a bit like saying "I'm not being racist but…")…

But it's hard not to view this as a failing of democracy. Those you would presume better equipped to make an informed decision outvoted by those less well equipped.