g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

EU Referendum Results Thread | Leave have won, Cameron resigns

How did you vote to this: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 321 75.5%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 80 18.8%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 24 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I am curious to see how our government steer the country through this. Lots 9f remain campaigners must have had plans for this scenario.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I reckon they'll give it a few months to let the dust settle and see where we stand.

If its anything like what I fear it is then its the end of the Union.

Ireland's probably gone too.
Yeah, Britain are our biggest trade partner. Well probably follow ye out the door within 5 years. The European Union may not survive another decade

NinjaFletch

The name-calling lost it for Remain. I think most of the Leavers knew it made economic sense to stay, but every time someone called them racist, stupid, little Englander, or too old to be allowed to vote, then a few more said well feck you.
I don't think it did. Only 31% said they thought they'd be worse off and 33% thought immigration was the biggest issue.

The problem was that no one believe Remain on the economy.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Because interest rates will rise - mortgage payments will become unaffordable for him, I assume.
Actually it was predicted by some that interest rates may be cut in the wake of a Brexit. Having said that, it was also predicted that house prices may fall too so he could be right about the negative equity thing.

Untied

This.

17 million voted to leave. They can't all be racist.

I voted to remain. But the remain campaign did a terrible job of explaining the benefits. Where as leave campaign already have lied about NHS and immigration.
No but it's "only" a ~600,000 swing. I'm willing to accuse less than 1 percent of the population of being racist :angel:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
We're sitting here talking about the same thing, but in Italy. However, I don't want to leave my country for good. Have to wait and see, I guess.
It's easy for me , my wife is French and my children and grandchildren have dual nationality. Got two years to do it - I just feel so depressed that the British people can be so stupid - what do they think is going to change other than putting the country into an economic black hole - I despair

Kag

Absolutely, but don't ignore the large chunk of voters who had different motives.
They may not be racist but they're selfish, misinformed or downright delusional.

Boris in charge. Pity the poor, hungry, weak and disabled. Carnage.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
This.

17 million voted to leave. They can't all be racist.

I voted to remain. But the remain campaign did a terrible job of explaining the benefits. Where as leave campaign already have lied about NHS and immigration.
But the racist swing the vote for leave, the leave voters will be tarred with that brush whether true or not.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Sorry about that, that was a very uneuropean mistake.

Are you sure the picture isn't much bigger than that?
You'd have thought so, and without trying to sound facetious if I was going on holiday any time soon I'd have made sure I had my currency bought before yesterday's vote.

Manny

Grammar Police
The correlation based on education/qualifications is stunning. Only places that fall outside it are in Scotland, which are more remain than the norm.
It's something I feared would happen. It was a difficult topic to vote on and Farage played it so well.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Good luck to people going on holiday, have to take more money now, the exchange rate will be fecked. Nice to see anyone who voted out wasn't looking at the bigger picture
Not sure holiday money is the bigger picture.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I know I have a tendency to be an elitist so I apologise in advance (I am aware this is a bit like saying "I'm not being racist but…")…

But it's hard not to view this as a failing of democracy. Those you would presume better equipped to make an informed decision outvoted by those less well equipped.
That's the complete opposite of democracy. It's actually borderline offensive to suggest.

Smores

Actually it was predicted by some that interest rates may be cut in the wake of a Brexit. Having said that, it was also predicted that house prices may fall too so he could be right about the negative equity thing.
Yeah I'm not worried about interest rates, the world is far to deflationary and I can't see the central bank doing anything more than pumping money in.

I'm not even convinced house prices will fall as proclaimed, the main reason will be risk averse buyers withdrawing or withholding but we'll see

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
They may not be racist but they're selfish, misinformed or downright delusional.

Boris in charge. Pity the poor, hungry, weak and disabled. Carnage.
No they're not. With Cameron and Osborn in charge pity the poor weak and disabled as well.

Untied

What makes you think we'll see financial services leave? Not my expectation at all
Because they would like access to the entire single market. In this regard there is no reason for the EU to softball in negotiations. If they don't agree to UK demands the businesses will simply move to Frankfurt etc. No loss to the EU.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If Nissan is reading, we can make some room for you.

Manny

Grammar Police
The name-calling lost it for Remain. I think most of the Leavers knew it made economic sense to stay, but every time someone called them racist, stupid, little Englander, or too old to be allowed to vote, then a few more said well feck you.
Well I hope that comforts Leave when this hits the economy for God knows how long.

Smores

Because they would like access to the entire single market. In this regard there is no reason for the EU to softball in negotiations. If they don't agree to UK demands the businesses will simply move to Frankfurt etc. No loss to the EU.
That shouldn't apply to financial services as we'll have unity via proxy. Passporting rights should be maintained.

London is also a centre of excellence within finance it's still got a lot to offer even if Frankfurt would like to steal the industry

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
House prices? Mortgage rates? Interest rates?

What's going to happen to cost of living? Food? Utilities?

I'm worried.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I find it exceedingly disgusting that some people in here and all over social media and the rest of the internet, are mocking those of us that are genuinely concerned for their families future. Some of us have just voted and kept quiet, not insulted or mocked anyone and just got on with it. To have to wake up to find out that my country has (in my opinion) made the biggest mistake possible, is bad enough in itself, but to be confronted and mocked by self righteous, arrogant and pompous leave voters is just too much to bare. This isn't something to sneer about and hold over others. I have a genuine fear for what is going to happen now, and I have 3 children for whose futures I am now even more worried for and sincerely worried about what type of country they are being brought up in, I'm sorry if I don't think that that Is something to laugh and joke about.

At the very least you would have thought the leave voters would have a bit of empathy and respect and show some restraint from rubbing peoples noses in it. Maybe the fact that it's obvious many do not have these virtues is why they are now being treated with contempt by the people who voted to remain in the EU.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
The thought of Merkel & rest of those feckers absolutely shitting themselves right now is putting a huge smile on my face. Good job Britain, you just won future free of bullshit bureaucratic that in no way should be controlling your country. Hopefully it's the start of EU's downfall.
But but but but.....according to some people every one of the near 17 million that voted to leave the EU are either racist or thick....or both!

I've no idea how it will all pan out but you could be right about the downfall of the EU as we know it - make no mistake, this result will send shockwaves across the continent. Citizens in other countries will now be demanding a referendum and it's even being mooted that German citizens are 50-50 on the EU. The French are becoming increasingly Euro-sceptic and a vote there could well see a bigger percentage opt for Leave than in the UK. The whole organisation and the way it works may need restructuring.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If they seriously were that petty then you really do have bigger problems to worry about. You are willing to feck yourself over for the future just because of name calling? That's school boy stuff right there.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It was one example, do you think I'm that stupid? I didn't vote out, I was more concerned about losing the EU and rights at work, human rights etc...

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Good luck to you guys. I have doubts if you can make it with the Norwegian way of 'one foot in and one foot out'.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
The thing is, most people on this site have the means to move and leave this country however they want to. Most leave voters likely don't have that option and are stuck here regardless of what happens. For that reason alone they deserve their vote.

It's actually quite shocking to see here. I thought that this site had a more open mindset then to dismiss leave voters as idiots, uneducated, ignorant and bigots" and wanting to create a class system in which the greater educated oppress the lesser educated.

Kag

No they're not. With Cameron and Osborn in charge pity the poor weak and disabled as well.
I do. These people are my background. I pity them even more now. Well, those sensible lot that haven't betrayed their roots in the name of greed or racism.

The rest of them will get all they deserve when Boris and Gove get free reign to destroy whatever it is they want. You wait and see.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
If they seriously were that petty then you really do have bigger problems to worry about. You are willing to feck yourself over for the future just because of name calling? That's school boy stuff right there.
Who was petty, the name-callers, or the the ones that reacted, or both?
I hope I rose above it, I voted remain, but I felt the tug.