g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Europa League 22/23 | Final: Sevilla vs Roma (May 31)

JeffFromHK

We have played 1st, 3rd and 5th ranked teams in La Liga in the first 3 rounds of the Europa league ffs
meanwhile some teams haven't even faced a big 5 league opponent yet

Suedesi

Nah. Sociedad would have been much worse and more boring. And being better than Roma isn't a big deal at all, hardly any sort of a measuring stick. And Betis has really old team, they will not be able to keep up with United's tempo.
Funnily we’ve played both in the past 6 months. I think we should be able to knock them

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Arsenal, basically the worse team we could get. That's our faith sealed. I know we got a decent run against Spurs (home win and away draw) in the CL but I think Arsenal will be too much to handle, specially with us in crisys atm.

At least it will be a decent match to watch live at the stadium.

lysglimt

Scout
For me, Betis is one of those teams where you can barely name a player in the squad. Betis for me is Joaquin!

Ok - I know of some of their players, but not many. It's one of the most experienced sides in European top football, where basically every player is 29+ years old and several of their regulars are well into their 30s.

lysglimt

Scout
Nobody is saying we aren't, but a softer draw would always be appreciated.

We don't need the hardest run possible to a final if we can help it.
It's a team of has beens - they are 5th in La Liga - 22 points behind Barcelona. Yes, it could have been a lot easier, but realistically we should get past Betis easily.

vodrake

For me, Betis is one of those teams where you can barely name a player in the squad. Betis for me is Joaquin!

Ok - I know of some of their players, but not many. It's one of the most experienced sides in European top football, where basically every player is 29+ years old and several of their regulars are well into their 30s.
They're a team of players I look at and think, "Hey, I remember you! You're still playing?"

Joaquin
Guardado
William Carvalho
Sergio Canales
Nabil Fekir
Ayoze Perez
Claudio Bravo
Juanmi

Last edited:

Pintu

Well Roma was extremely lucky with dodgy VAR decisions against HJK and lost to Ludogorets.
Yes, I wasn't saying Roma is a strong side. I was saying Betis is crap, the argument of "Betis defeated Roma" is meaningless given the way they did it and given how poor Roma has been generally in the EL. Roma losing to Ludogorets further proofs that Betis topping the group was no remarkable feat.

Bertie 2 Hats

Elche v Betis tonght in LaLiga.. so it could well be televised on one of the sports channels. Maybe worth watching just to see what we're up against first hand :devil:

massi83

Yes, I wasn't saying Roma is a strong side. I was saying Betis is crap, the argument of "Betis defeated Roma" is meaningless given the way they did it and given how poor Roma has been generally in the EL. Roma losing to Ludogorets further proofs that Betis topping the group was no remarkable feat.
Agreed.

Bertie Wooster

Frustrating draw.

One of those difficult draws that - unlike the Barca one - isn't a 'glamour tie' so people will say we should be happy with that, and should win, etc.

But it's actually as tough a draw as we could have got given the options and is going to be very much like the matches against Sociedad, Bilbao, Villarreal, Sevilla - tough, tight games that's going to be a battle to get through even with our strongest selections. We should edge the tie over the two legs if our form continues, but they're going to be battles and we're going to have to go strong with our selections.

Was really hoping that we could avoid the La Liga and Bundesliga teams but looks like we're going to have to do it the hard way if we're to win the EL.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It's a team with a lot of attacking talent. Rodri, Canales, Fekir and Borja Iglesias. In defence they are weak.
With the style of the second half against Barcelona, with pace and intensity it should be reasonably easy.
The only difficulty, a team that does not usually play against opponents of that level in Europe, super motivated and with the second leg at home.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's a team with a lot of attacking talent. Rodri, Canales, Fekir and Borja Iglesias. In defence they are weak.
With the style of the second half against Barcelona, with pace and intensity it should be reasonably easy.
The only difficulty, a team that does not usually play against opponents of that level in Europe, super motivated and with the second leg at home.
We need to take a healthy lead away from OT that's for sure.

Zlatans Knee

So many in here saying that this a tough draw, unlucky draw etc…we have just deservedly beaten Barcelona who are walking that league, we are playing great stuff. We should be confident about playing any team these days. I can imagine that they are not too happy that they have drawn United at this stage of the competition.

Dannn411

These guys want us out of Europe by all means FFS. Sociedad, Barcelona and now Betis. Ridiculous.

Bertie Wooster

So many in here saying that this a tough draw, unlucky draw etc…we have just deservedly beaten Barcelona who are walking that league, we are playing great stuff. We should be confident about playing any team these days. I can imagine that they are not too happy that they have drawn United at this stage of the competition.
That doesn't mean it's not an annoyingly tricky draw for us, either. If we drew Liverpool / City / Chelsea in the third round of the cup and complained it was a tough draw, the fact they also see it as a tough draw shouldn't change our view.

We could only draw 7 teams and, yeah, if our form continues then we should be confident of beating any of them. But with so many games coming thick and fast then it would be nice to have easier draws rather than the toughest of the options. Same with West Ham in the FA Cup - we should be capable of beating them, but it would have been nice to draw a championship club or something rather than a tricky PL side.

It's not just the individual matches on paper, it's the cumulative effect of battling on four fronts and hoping for the occasional 'easier' draw to help with that along the way.

Red Royal

We shoud be fine with this draw. There aren't many easy draws left and with our squad looking good, we should cope okay with the fixture congestion. E.g.yesterday Sabitzer, Malacia and Lindelof amongst others were not used. They could easily slot in against all but the strongest teams.

avgp_1

Betis are a decent opposition from the games I have watched. Some impressive wide players in Juanmi and Henrique and especially in midfield with Guardado, Fekir, Carvalho and Guido who was linked with us last summer. It'll be a tricky tie for sure but we will have enough to hurt them at the back with pace

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
We will beat Betis. I like playing bigger teams, tests us more.

We have Southampton at home in the middle of the two legs, we will be fine. Brighton away after the away leg so hopefully we can win the first leg comfortably and see the second leg out and rest a few.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Borja Iglesias is actually an interesting late bloomer that had made some very good seasons lately (4 seasons ago he was part of Celta B squad!) .