Europa League Final | Atalanta vs Leverkusen | Match thread

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Guardiola once said "playing Atalanta is like going to the dentist".

In Guardiola's case, what he says does not necessarily have to be what he thinks, but this time I think he really meant it.
The point he was making is that their extreme man marking all over the pitch makes for absurdly physically and mentally demanding games that can turn on every play. Win a duel in defence, you have a chance to score. Lose a duel in attack, you're conceding a chance.

Oranges038

Moyes had United.
It is so reductive, is Alonso a Moyes level manager?
Gasperini had Inter.. for about 5 games.

You've moved the goalposts then. The number of trophies doesn't determine the level of a manager. Besides winning a Europa league means a lot more than the ECL, so all trophies aren't even equal.
Alonso won 1 league title, Poch has 1 league title. Do you view them the same ? Actually Poch has more trophies overall so far
I'd like to see Gasperini take over at West Ham, bring in his system and do better than Moyes.

BorisManUtd

Only watched last 20 minutes or so but feels like that was a Porto-Monaco 2004 kind of final and same result as well.

Leverkusen had all those late goals and winners so this had to happened at some point. Just painful for them it's in the final and with 1 game to go. They'll probably punish Kaiserslautern in final and get over this.

Oranges038

I'd like to see Moyes win the Europa league or qualify his team to the CL via the league
Moyes had Everton qualifying for the CL playoffs by league position in a much tougher league at a time when less teams directly qualified. They were 1 horrendous refereeing decision away from making the group stages. Collina quit not long after, although I think that was due to him accepting a sponsorship deal from the AC Milan sponsor at the time and being told he was no longer allowed referee in Serie A, due to a conflict of interest.

GlasgowCeltic

Enjoyed Joe Cole's "for those of you who haven't heard of "Atlanta"", ignoring their games are literally shown on the channel he works for

BorisManUtd

Well said. Fantastic achievement for Atalanta, well done to them. He reminds me of Richard Gere a bit.

Ludens the Red

Happy for Gasperini. Always rated him, think it’s time he takes a step up though.
Outgrown these. Take the Napoli job.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is Gasperini going to stick around? He is getting old but their team is still young. Performances like that they could do a decent job in the CL next season
Don't see why not. He was at Inter years back and it didn't really work out. Atalanta is fantastic environment and they're in Europe most seasons and challenging for top 4 so he'd struggle to do better than that at his age really.

Charlie Foley

Why does the Europa league final go before the conference league final?

Also, move all finals back to Wednesday night
Conference League should definitely be first. I miss the Wednesday night finals but Saturday might be better for people travelling?
I think all 3 should be same Saturday in different cities. 12:30, 3pm and 8 pm kick offs
Now that would be something!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I had a instant fondness for Atalanta when I heard this a couple of years back.

It’s very simple. President Percassi is pleased to give all the newborns born in the hospitals in Bergamo and its province the Atalanta black and blue shirt.
Link

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Moyes had Everton qualifying for the CL playoffs by league position in a much tougher league at a time when less teams directly qualified. They were 1 horrendous refereeing decision away from making the group stages. Collina quit not long after, although I think that was due to him accepting a sponsorship deal from the AC Milan sponsor at the time and being told he was no longer allowed referee in Serie A, due to a conflict of interest.
And Atalanta were also very close to making the CL semi final. I just know one thing, Europa league > ECL. Look at the quality of opponents they faced in comparison to West Ham

KeanoMagicHat

And Atalanta were also very close to making the CL semi final. I just know one thing, Europa league > ECL. Look at the quality of opponents they faced in comparison to West Ham
Yeah this year you've had 1st in Germany, 2nd in Italy, 3rd in England, 1st in Portuguese League in it, lots of strong teams.

MrWilliams

As a Nigerian, either team winning was fine by me.

Boniface and Tella or Lookman. Either way, my countrymen are picking up gold medals.

Lookman does deserve something, however, for his display at AFCON.

He played out of his skin tonight. 3 shots, 3 on target, 3 goals. Top performance from him.

croadyman

People thought it might be the Leverkusen team which could get cherry picked, however would certainly take Scalvini and Ederson from Atalanta.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Lookman played an awesome game. Not alone did he score a stunning hat-trick he sparkled in his outfield play. Good with either foot; motivated, smart. Apparently he’s been developing late but spectacularly in Bergamo under their Inspirational manager

Winrar

In the end, an impressive run for Atalanta and a fantastic hattrick from Lookman. Vanquished the two favorites on the way to the trophy and earn a ticket to the super cup.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Don’t tell me 6th place in Italy goes into the CL
Only if Atalanta finish outside of the top four. They are currently fifth, but have a game in hand. A win would make them third. Roma in 6th will now pray that Atalanta will on celebrating their achievement.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Great game plan from Gasperini and execution from the whole side. They seemed have Leverkusen pegged from the start and always knew what spaces to close and when to move. They seemed one step of Leverkusen the whole time. Lookman played fantastic but this was a great example of a team win.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Only if Atalanta finish outside of the top four. They are currently fifth, but have a game in hand. A win would make them third. Roma in 6th will now pray that Atalanta will on celebrating their achievement.
Oh sorry thought the season was done when I glanced at the table.

crossy1686

career ending
I had a instant fondness for Atalanta when I heard this a couple of years back.

It’s very simple. President Percassi is pleased to give all the newborns born in the hospitals in Bergamo and its province the Atalanta black and blue shirt.
Link
Atalanta are a classy club. I watched a YouTube video recently which showed how the chairman had saved the club by focusing on their youth system and developing players, while playing a certain brand of football.

The-Mezzala

Unbelievable performance, but for those on here who follow the Italian game. This is no surprise. Gasperini has been performing minor miracles since he arrived at Atalanta. His ability to find players who are at a cross roads career wise and turn them into players is incredible. His attacking football been the best in the league to watch for ages. He has hit the 90 plus goal mark twice I think. Which in a league like Serie A is impressive. They will be building him a statue outside the stadium. Lookman also might get one for that performance. Ederson and Scamacca also impressed.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
Who did they buy to replace Rasmus and how much?
Scamacca, for 20M or so... A bit over 20M.

Gasp is a ridiculously good coach. I'm seeing comparisons to Moyes? Good grief... He is absolutely LOATHED in Italy because he is a Grade A jerk.. Some former players hate him for the intensity of his training and demands on the pitch.

But Atalanta is his. His home. His dojo. He's always had low cost teams put together and absolutely put on shows with them. Deserved this trophy, big time.

And "flopped at Inter" makes me laugh... If being canned after 5 games makes you a flop, then sure. Or it just makes ownership a doorknob.

Bondi77

Scamacca, for 20M or so... A bit over 20M.

Gasp is a ridiculously good coach. I'm seeing comparisons to Moyes? Good grief... He is absolutely LOATHED in Italy because he is a Grade A jerk.. Some former players hate him for the intensity of his training and demands on the pitch.

But Atalanta is his. His home. His dojo. He's always had low cost teams put together and absolutely put on shows with them. Deserved this trophy, big time.

And "flopped at Inter" makes me laugh... If being canned after 5 games makes you a flop, then sure. Or it just makes ownership a doorknob.
Those would be my thoughts regarding Potter at Chelsea.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Their remaining games are both at home against Torino and Fiorentina so it is highly likely they'll get top 4
Torina are playing for Europe, while Atalanta will be playing drunk, so good chances they lose that one. If Juve and Bologna take care of business, Roma are in. Final game against Fiorentina will hopefully be a mutual celebration of european trophies, could be a basically 90 minutes of players and fans congratulating each other :lol: especially given the circumstances that lead to the postponement :(
Failed at Inter. Been loosely linked to Napoli recently though but I doubt that happens
Inter never really gave him a chance. He wasn't even hired because they thought he was good and would do a good job, they just lost their manager unexpectedly and had no ideas on how to replace him, so just went for the cheapest option on the market. Players got that message too and promptly decided he wasn't gonna work out before he even walked through the door. Ownership was then all too happy to sack him after 5 games
Who did they buy to replace Rasmus and how much?
Scamacca for somewhere around 30M euros iirc, and Toure for similar fee as well - he's been injured most of the season unfortunately
True, while at the same time he's generally acknowledged as one of the best italian managers...ever, really. After tonight.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Alonso overthinking this and it's costing him. There is zero presence in the center and Atalanta are eating up any balls forward. Really need to get either Schick or Boniface in there and Hofmann.

Alonso has rode his luck all season with those comebacks and it's made him arrogant. It's similar to the overthinking Pep used to in his early days at City.
Well Gasperini "overthought" too, as he fielded a very unusual formation, I don't think Atalanta ever started a game this season with De Ketelaere-Scamacca-Lookman upfront and Koopmeiners+Ederson paired in the middle.

So we could say that Alonso underthought his response to Gasperini changes.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
I'm sure it's been mentioned... but beating Amorim's Sporting, Klopp's Liverpool (at home, and while they were on top of the EPL) and then absolutely clapping the most hyped team of the past decade, unbeaten, in Bayer....

I honestly still find it somewhat hard to believe. They steamrolled teams.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
My take on the game:

I think the overthinking stuff is blown a bit out of proportion. I would have preferred Boniface over Adli as well and think his presence upfront improved us but Alonso's plan made sense as well. As @giorno said, they pin you back but when you win a duel or free yourself from the stranglehold by other means, you immediately have the chance to score. Usually, we are very good at finding solutions in tight areas but yesterday, few players reached the level they displayed in the 51 previous games. Xhaka was inexplicably bad. Had a 2/10 performance when his worst all season was a 6/10. But also Palacios, Adli, Wirtz (in the first half), Frimpong, ...

In the end, I think the match was decided by individual form and not tactical mistakes. Many of our players seemed incredibly nervous while Atalanta was fully focused, Lookman especially. Tough luck but it doesn't spoil an incredible season for me :) Atalanta really deserved it and at least we lost to a very good team