F1 2017 Season

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Don't really get it, I mean yeah by all means go out on top but 31 is a crazy age to give up a career, especially one that most would kill to have and pays extraordinarily well.
It does seem weird on the face of it but it's possible he's just had enough of modern F1, and is genuinely sick of working with Hamilton. He's a World Champ now and obviously feels he's achieved his goal.

Leg-End

Yeah I guess when you achieve something like that it changes you, some think "great, let's have another" and others think "I've done it, I'm done".

Motivation is a big factor at the highest level.

RedFish

Won't blame him, i doubt anyone fancies a team mate like Hamilton.
Agreed, since they'd end up 2nd best most of the time.

:lol: at coward Rosberg. What a crap champion. Winners defend their titles.
I disagree. Rosberg, to be fair to him, has always been very complimentary of Hamilton, calling him, one of the greatest drivers ever. Point is, he knows he is not as naturally quick as Lewis and to beat him in the DC this season has taken a monumental effort, especially from a psychological standpoint. With this in mind, knowing he has completely maxed out his talent and effort,he's unlikely to match this season.

He's got his family now, and when he says he's not prepared to make the sacrifices anymore, then kudos to him for having the courage to make that decision. Good luck to him.

Last edited:

Sigma

My jaw literally dropped when I read the news just now

Wow, would have liked him to stay on though

Dan

I haven't been this shocked at a retirement since Eric retired.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I think his decision is a good one. Tough to maintain the drive to win, and he's an inferior driver and knows it. Plus, he's earned an absolute fortune, enjoy it with the family rather than make more at such a high risk.

RedFish

I think his decision is a good one. Tough to maintain the drive to win, and he's an inferior driver and knows it. Plus, he's earned an absolute fortune, enjoy it with the family rather than make more at such a high risk.
I go with that. It's not like he has anything to prove now. He's achieved his life's dream and if he'd rather do something else, then good for him. I really respect him for making the decision and doing it on his own terms. Who knows, he may miss it and end up back some day...

I'm surprised he did it but I do understand why. There are question marks over his win and he knows it. He can attempt to defend his title and 'prove' everyone right as he will almost certainly get trounced by Hamilton and whoever else, or he can retire as a World Champion.

I doubt he will just hang up his boots though. Maybe he joins Webber at Porsche?

RedFish

I'm surprised he did it but I do understand why. There are question marks over his win and he knows it. He can attempt to defend his title and 'prove' everyone right as he will almost certainly get trounced by Hamilton and whoever else, or he can retire as a World Champion.

I doubt he will just hang up his boots though. Maybe he joins Webber at Porsche?
He won the title fair and square. There's always an element of luck (and question marks as you say) involved and Lewis didn't have much for sure, but he was also outperformed in a number of races by Nico too. He knows more often than not, in a straight fight with Lewis he'd come off 2nd best, but this season gone, he's beaten a driver who is already regarded as one of the finest there has been.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Agree with the sentiment here: he achieved what he dreamed of and knows it'd be difficult to repeat it so why not go out on a high?
Good luck to him.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I think we have found the only true Hamilton fan in the world :D

He is just a very focused individual, most winners usually are.
Which is true, but on a personal level, he's probably the most unpleasent world champion to have around. For all of Schumachers antics, his teammates never complained and he always stood to them. Alonso is a bit tricky, but not as worse. Vettel had disagreements with Webber, but he was on good terms with his other teammates.

stu_1992

I was very shocked at this news yesterday when I read. I can obviously understand his motivations, but it comes across a bit weak IMO. There was already an asterisk next to his WC win anyway. This doesn't nothing to help that.

Pscholes18

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38187984

Hamilton giving a brief interview in regards to next years driver and what he expects from them etc.

The way Hamilton talks, you just know he is a difficult driver to have as a team mate.
In other words, he just wants a teammate who he can push around, that stays in the background and doesn't challenge him for the title.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I was very shocked at this news yesterday when I read. I can obviously understand his motivations, but it comes across a bit weak IMO. There was already an asterisk next to his WC win anyway. This doesn't nothing to help that.
Why? As I see it, he beat him fair and square, they both had their phased during the season.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Hamilton is gutted he won't get a chance to take the title back of him, Rosberg got the better of him and walked into the sunset. I have to say I respect his decision a lot, becoming F1 champion takes a serious commitment, and he wants to enjoy his family now

pauldyson1uk

Why , he won it, was not his fault Lewis had problems, I blame Nico for the race they both crashed out of , but thats racing.

hp88

Think he should have stuck around to defend his title but I think he knew himself it would take a fair bit of luck to beat Lewis two seasons in a row. Just hoping they don't but someone like Botas in the second seat, Alonso or Vettel going up against Lewis would be epic.

Sigma

Lewis was definitely the luckier driver between him and Massa in 2008.

Lewis was definitely the luckier driver between him and Massa in 2008.
There is always luck involved but Hamilton had already proven his worth by beating Alonso in the same car as a rookie the season before. Rosberg knows he is nowhere near the quickest drivers on the grid in an equal car.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I don't recollect much luck that season bar the final race. 1pt splitting the top 3 drivers the season before! And Hamilton scored just 2 points in the last 2 races. Those two seasons were superb.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That's just bollocks.

hp88

I don't recollect much luck that season bar the final race. 1pt splitting the top 3 drivers the season before! And Hamilton scored just 2 points in the last 2 races. Those two seasons were superb.
This was a massive tittle blow for Massa.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Massa's engine also blew when leading a race near the end and Kovalainen snapped up the win. He really did deserve to be champion that year.

Giggsy92

Easy to forget that Massa binned it by himself in the first two races and had to be let past Kimi in both France and China, not to mention the embarrassments of Silverstone and Spa. Kubica was probably the best driver that year but Hamilton definitely drove better than Massa.

Amir

I didn't remember the details, but while reading about Massa ahead of his retirement, it was also mentioned that he payed a price for 'Crashgate' during that Singapore Grand Prix. So I went and read about it. Turns out he went into the pitlane for that bad stop right after Piquet Jr's 'accident', when the safety car was out. Without the crash, he wouldn't have been in there at the time and maybe the fuel hose incident would have been avoided.

F-Red

Which is true, but on a personal level, he's probably the most unpleasent world champion to have around.
Yep. Remind me what Hamilton's like when you go for a pint with him? I'm sure you know him well on a personal level :)

No one knows, all we know is the interviews and people talking to him as he is just coming out of the car.

For all of Schumachers antics, his teammates never complained and he always stood to them.
Really? Barrichello thought he should of had 6 titles not 7 due to team orders.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Be interested in the F1 boys' opinions on this:

With Webber retiring from WEC, but also both Button and now Rosberg from F1, I wonder whether Porsche will be looking at one of them as a replacement for Webber?

Whilst the physical demands of endurance racing may arguably be greater than F1, there is much less personal scrutiny so the driver can concentrate more on the racing than the media side of things. Might suit either of these drivers.

Be interested in the opinions of the F1 fanboys, so will link this to the F1 thread.
Please reply in the WEC thread:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wec-le-mans-2016.416324/page-3

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Any truth in the rumours that Bottas is the man going to replace Nico?

Toto manages him, right?