F1 2017 Season

Giggsy92

I'm sure it will have plenty of benefits for the FIA with regards to the Bianchi family's lawsuit.

Giggsy92

but again would it have saved his life ? The way Bianchi hit that truck I doubt it.
No way it would have saved him, might even have complicated things further depending on how the impact panned out. Point being though that while the FIA are being sued for not taking safety seriously enough they have to be seen pushing stuff like this through, otherwise it's just more fuel for the prosecution.

Wicked_Badger

It's kinda difficult.

To us, the viewer, it makes no difference, other than aesthetics. Halo is hugely ugly, however, I think that the teams will make them blend much more & weveont really notice after a couple if races (or even sessions in Albert Park).

On saying that, F1 is supposed to be the ultimate motorsport. Open wheel, open cockpit; the danger & thrills draw us to it like no other car race.

If you're involved directly, it's a no-brainer. The governing body is better protected (legislatively) as are the teams and drivers (physically). Obviously it won't stop head injuries (what measure will?) but could potentially prevent the driver from death in the right scenario.

All in all, it's probably the right step. I guess we'll be closed cockpit by 2020 anyway, so it's probably a moot point.

pauldyson1uk

It's kinda difficult.

To us, the viewer, it makes no difference, other than aesthetics. Halo is hugely ugly, however, I think that the teams will make them blend much more & weveont really notice after a couple if races (or even sessions in Albert Park).

On saying that, F1 is supposed to be the ultimate motorsport. Open wheel, open cockpit; the danger & thrills draw us to it like no other car race.

If you're involved directly, it's a no-brainer. The governing body is better protected (legislatively) as are the teams and drivers (physically). Obviously it won't stop head injuries (what measure will?) but could potentially prevent the driver from death in the right scenario.

All in all, it's probably the right step. I guess we'll be closed cockpit by 2020 anyway, so it's probably a moot point.
Good post and yes after a few races, we will just not notice.

pauldyson1uk

Kevin Magnussen on the halo:

"I'm against it [the halo]. I don't think it is what F1 should be about. I don't agree safety is always number one...We could make the cars go maximum 80km/h and it would be very safe, but it would be very boring"

pauldyson1uk

Max Verstappen on the halo:

“The one I tried I didn’t like the visibility & the thing in front of you. It is not great. I don’t like it...

“The wheel tethers are strong so you won’t lose a wheel easily. When there are parts flying around it won’t protect you so I don't understand why we need it...

“As soon as I have that thing [halo] on my car I don’t like it so the excitement is gone before I’m even in the car.”

pauldyson1uk

Sauber have cancelled their planned partnership for the 2018 Formula 1 season with Honda.

The Swiss outfit are currently powered by a year-old supply of Ferrari engines.
Full statement from Sauber

'The technological partnership between the Sauber F1 Team and Honda, which was intended to start from 2018 onwards, is no longer in place. The new Sauber engine partner will be announced shortly.

'Frédéric Vasseur, Team Principal:
"It is very unfortunate that we have to discontinue the planned collaboration with Honda at this stage. However, this decision has been made for strategic reasons, and with the best intent for the future of the Sauber F1 Team in mind. We would like to thank Honda for their collaboration, and wish them all the best for their future in Formula One."'

pauldyson1uk

Jolyon Palmer's season hit another low at the Hungarian GP on Friday as he crashed heavily at the final corner during Practice Two.

The Briton, who was in desperate need of a clean weekend as scrutiny over his future increases, lost control at the right-hander and span into the barriers, causing significant damage to the rear of his Renault.

The incident came after the 26-year-old had had his front wing obliterated after running wide over the kerbs at Turn Four in Practice One, which brought that session to a premature end.

Palmer has yet to score a point this season and has been regularly out-performed by team-mate Nico Hulkenberg, who has scored all 26 of Renault's points so far.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Said when he started he was the new Chilton, hasn't let me down to be fair. How Di Resta can't get a drive while this clown can is beyond me.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
his record is not great, I agree there is better drivers out there like Di Resta who would do better.
Vergne is another. Suppose it's more about money now though. Can see Formula E, with its lower expenses, gaining ground F1 over the next few years.

pauldyson1uk

red lockout for the front row.
Lewis not happy with his car, Vettel looks very fast.
Unless Merc can sort out the vibration on Lewis's car, he will not be winning the race and Vettel will improve his lead going into the summer break.