F1 2017 Season

pauldyson1uk

Stoffel Vandoorne will serve a 35-place grid penalty at the Belgian GP due to a scheduled power unit change, McLaren have confirmed.

Both Vandoorne and team-mate Fernando Alonso are running upgraded Honda engines at Spa, but only the rookie has been hit with a hefty grid drop and will almost certainly start at the back this weekend.

"Unfortunately Stoffel will receive a grid penalty at his home grand prix, but it is important for us to introduce updates as soon as they are ready," said Honda's F1 chief Yusuke Hasegawa-San.

"It is positive that we have been able to introduce this next step forward so quickly, and we will continue to introduce updates throughout the remainder of the season."

These grid pens are just daft.

Mark_GrumpyLion

Stoffel Vandoorne will serve a 35-place grid penalty at the Belgian GP due to a scheduled power unit change, McLaren have confirmed.

Both Vandoorne and team-mate Fernando Alonso are running upgraded Honda engines at Spa, but only the rookie has been hit with a hefty grid drop and will almost certainly start at the back this weekend.

"Unfortunately Stoffel will receive a grid penalty at his home grand prix, but it is important for us to introduce updates as soon as they are ready," said Honda's F1 chief Yusuke Hasegawa-San.

"It is positive that we have been able to introduce this next step forward so quickly, and we will continue to introduce updates throughout the remainder of the season."

These grid pens are just daft.
So he's starting at Zandvoort?

Wicked_Badger

Hamilton looks mighty if FP1 timings are genuine.

The penalties for upgrades are crazy, we want teams to be fighting on an even keel as much as possible so having this rule on upgrading parts is silly.

Really looking forward to the next couple of weeks' F1. Love Spa & heading to Monza on Wednesday for my first GP experience :D

Giggsy92

both Merc's have engine changes this race, both on their 4th and last, tey have to do the rest of the season on this engine.
That is going to be tough, I see penalties for both in later races.
They'll have life left in the other three, it's just that they'd have wanted a fresh one in for Spa/Monza.

Giggsy92

Kimi would have been right up there with Lewis with a clean second run, shame for him. Ferrari should still get a 1-2 based on the race runs yesterday but Kimi needs to clear at least Bottas on the first lap.

gormless

very good lap, but to equal the great Sch in poles is more impressive.
Without the context of equaling Michael (which is an incredible achievement when taking into account his longevity and the ridiculous domination in the early 00s), I reckon Vettel's lap was better as I honestly wasn't expecting Ferrari to be anywhere near.
Wider picture, I agree

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I thought Raikkonen might have been able to help Vettel by slowing Hamilton down a bit but that didn't work out at all

Last edited: