F1 2018 Season

James_42

Very satisfying to see Pirelli implement changes to the tyres that don't benefit Vettel, like they did during the 2013 season.

Fantasy League Race 5 Spain

pauldyson1uk

Fantasy League after Race 5

jd094 continues at the top and yet again increased his lead, it is now 66 points.
The places below are pretty tight., 27 points between 2nd and 9th is not a lot to make up.
Me, I am having a mare this season 3rd from bottom !!
After 5 race looks like there is no catching Mirror, Signal, Maldonado

1st jd094 Mirror, Signal, Maldonado 456 X
2nd 17larsson Buzzing and Hornets 390 X
3rd muhhaa FC Romantika 388 X
4th vangagal Team Skytrain 380 X
5th dargonk Dargon's crew 371 X
6th evan7788 altodevil86 370 X
7th screech44 Redfish-Alfa 367 X
8th impulse Team 3 363 X
9th eric cartman Cartman 363 X
10th giggsy92 TeamRocket 348 X
11th venkman Toyoda 340 X
12th seb_87 Red_Sky_87 323 X
13th spwd MANSELLS MOUSTACHE, 321 X
14th hephaestus Horizon F1 313 X
15th pauldyson1uk Billy Jack Racing 313 X
16th muller7uk Muller Motorsport 298 X
17th dpansheth Rock 127 X

Next race is the jewel in the F1 crown, Monaco 27th.
Make those changes, if you do.
Lights out 14:10 (UK time)

Last edited:

F-Red

Haven't seen anything from anyone involved in Ferrari actually criticising Pirelli's decision and there is literally zero evidence to support the conspiracy theory that Mercedes and Toto Wolff are responsible for the decision which seems to have just been a logical response to the track being resurfaced. The whining from Ferrari fans over this is truly pathetic.
Agreed. Pirelli are bringing these tyres to three tracks this year to prevent over blistering at the resurfaced circuits. Considering Ferrari were chewing these tyres up yesterday, then i don't think the previous Pirelli's would have lasted a stint and seen Ferrari at Williams pace trying to make them last.

It's worth noting as well that Catalunya is a major Mercedes circuit, and no other team reported tyre issues yesterday.

Wicked_Badger

Predictably dull race in Spain. Merc were quicker all weekend and deservedly won. Strange choice of strategy to bring Vettel in under the safety car - they claim it was because the tyres weren’t lasting but I’m not so sure.

I think they need to amend the track layout slightly to give more overtake opportunities. Maybe straighten out the chicane in S3 so cars can follow into the start/finish straight?

Monaco could be interesting. Got a feeling Alonso could end up on the podium. He’s driving out of his skin just now. That pass on Ocon round the outside of turn 3 was :drool::eek::drool:

Wicked_Badger

Romain Grosjean will serve a three-place grid penalty at the Monaco GP for triggering the multi-car crash at the Spanish GP.
3 place drop ! Not enough, I thought 5 or even 10 place drop was minimum he should have got.
That’s a joke. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a driver boot it like that in a similar situation. He’s really fallen off a cliff performance/confidence-wise. Can easily see him replaced by LeClerc next year.

vangagal

Predictably dull race in Spain. Merc were quicker all weekend and deservedly won. Strange choice of strategy to bring Vettel in under the safety car - they claim it was because the tyres weren’t lasting but I’m not so sure.

I think they need to amend the track layout slightly to give more overtake opportunities. Maybe straighten out the chicane in S3 so cars can follow into the start/finish straight?

Monaco could be interesting. Got a feeling Alonso could end up on the podium. He’s driving out of his skin just now. That pass on Ocon round the outside of turn 3 was :drool::eek::drool:
He got the most out of that crap car. I wish him a better car next year. He deserve it. Meanwhile Vandoorne :houllier:. He should just out of McLaren by now.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Fantasy League after Race 5

jd094 continues at the top and yet again increased his lead, it is now 66 points.
The places below are pretty tight., 27 points between 2nd and 9th is not a lot to make up.
Me, I am having a mare this season 3rd from bottom !!
After 5 race looks like there is no catching Mirror, Signal, Maldonado

1st jd094 Mirror, Signal, Maldonado 456 X
2nd 17larsson Buzzing and Hornets 390 X
3rd muhhaa FC Romantika 388 X
4th vangagal Team Skytrain 380 X
5th dargonk Dargon's crew 371 X
6th evan7788 altodevil86 370 X
7th screech44 Redfish-Alfa 367 X
8th impulse Team 3 363 X
9th eric cartman Cartman 363 X
10th giggsy92 TeamRocket 348 X
11th venkman Toyoda 340 X
12th seb_87 Red_Sky_87 323 X
13th spwd MANSELLS MOUSTACHE, 321 X
14th hephaestus Horizon F1 313 X
15th pauldyson1uk Billy Jack Racing 313 X
16th muller7uk Muller Motorsport 298 X
17th dpansheth Rock 127 X

Next race is the jewel in the F1 crown, Monaco 27th.
Make those changes, if you do.
Lights out 14:10 (UK time)
Vettel is dragging me down :D

RedFish

He got the most out of that crap car. I wish him a better car next year. He deserve it. Meanwhile Vandoorne :houllier:. He should just out of McLaren by now.
I think Alonso is outdriving the McLaren somehow. I think only he and probably Lewis could get that level of performance from that car. Vansoorne is better than he's shown so far imo.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Bahrain= Vettel wins with 39 laps on the super-soft tyres
Barcelona= Vettel soft tyres only last for about 20 laps

:rolleyes:

pauldyson1uk

Barcelona Test driver line-ups
Tuesday, May 15 Wednesday, May 16
Mercedes Lewis Hamilton Valtteri Bottas
Ferrari Sebastian Vettel Antonio Giovinazzi
Red Bull Max Verstappen Jake Dennis
Renault Carlos Sainz Jack Aitken
McLaren Stoffel Vandoorne Lando Norris
McLaren Pirelli tyre test Lando Norris/Oliver Turvey Stoffel Vandoorne
Haas Romain Grosjean TBC
Force India Nicholas Latifi Nikita Mazepin
Force India Pirelli tyre test George Russell Nicholas Latifi
Toro Rosso Sean Gelael Pierre Gasly
Sauber Antonio Giovinazzi Charles Leclerc
Williams Oliver Rowland Robert Kubica

pauldyson1uk

McLaren and Force India are the only teams permitted to field two cars, with one apiece specifically being used for Pirelli tyre testing.

Mercedes junior and F2 front-runner George Russell is carrying out this role for Force India, with fellow Britons Lando Norris and Oliver Turvey sharing the same tyre duties in the second McLaren.

Oliver Rowland's debut for Williams means there are five British drivers in the Tuesday field. Another two, Red Bull simulator driver Jake Dennis and British-Korean Jack Aitken for Renault, make their debuts on day two.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Ahem... @Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

As part of Ferrari's investigations into its lack of race pace on Tuesday, Vettel tested standard tread versions of the soft and medium compounds as well as thin tread tyres in a back to back comparisons. The thick tread tyres came back with obvious signs of overheating and Vettel admitted after the session that they would have exacerbated Ferrari's issues if they had been used on Sunday.

"I think it's pretty straightforward," he said. "Obviously you don't get the chance to revisit this kind of decisions that are made [very often], but we did it today and the result is that if we had had the normal tyres on Sunday, it would have probably been worse, so it was the correct call. It was our fault for not having the same tyre wear or life as other people."
Link: http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id...ves-ferrari-problems-spain-were-not-due-tyres

James_42

Nice to see him put that that conpiracy nonsense to bed, but I still expect a lot of Ferrari fans to deny it though.

Hephaestus

I'm really warming to Vettel this season. Went off him a lot after Baku last year but this and his defence of Hamilton after the comments about Verstappen. Nice to put the stupid theories to bed.

pauldyson1uk

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't know why but I do love Monaco.

It's almost always a terrible race but there's just something special about it and it's pretty amazing seeing the cars fizz around those roads without the acres of run-off space they get at most circuits these days. Errors actually cost you.

GeorgieBoy

The most boring circuit of the year for me.
Would be absolutely amazing to be there in the flesh; but watching it at home on TV with no overtakes bores the life out of me.

Giggsy92

Q3's usually pretty exciting if it's not ruined by red or yellow flags, looks like we could get a good shootout between at least the two Red Bull drivers and probably Vettel as well on Saturday. Would be nice if the hypers mix up the strategy a bit in the race but I'm sure they'll all find a way to one stop as per usual.