F1 2018 Season

Moiraine

Most satisfying thing in the entire race was Kimi Passing that cnut worst-top-on

Fantasy League Races 9 and 10 Austria and Great Britain

pauldyson1uk

Sorry was not able to post the league last week, this is after 2 races.

A few changes after 2 races, jd094 is still top of the tree but the rest are catching up , his lead is now down to 29 points.
TeamRocket takes second place, with Redfish-Alfa dropping 5 places to 7th.
Team Skytrain holds on to 3rd
I gained 4 places to 4th
Red Sky 87 has enjoyed a good couple of races , jumping from 12th to 5th

1st jd094 Mirror, Signal, Maldonado 797 X
2nd giggsy92 TeamRocket 768 X
3rd vangagal Team Skytrain 751 X
4th pauldyson1uk Billy Jack Racing 720 X
5th seb_87 Red_Sky_87 719 X
6th 17larsson Buzzing and Hornets 718 X
7th screech44 Redfish-Alfa 713 X
8th venkman Toyoda 712 X
9th evan7788 altodevil86 697 X
10th dargonk Dargon's crew 697 X
11th muhhaa FC Romantika 694 X
12th eric cartman Cartman 677 X
13th impulse Team 3 671 X
14th hephaestus Horizon F1 659 X
15th spwd MANSELLS MOUSTACHE, 639 X
16th muller7uk Muller Motorsport 597 X
17th dpansheth Rock 511 X

Next race is Germany 22nd lights out 14:10(UK time)

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Bottas is class, look at his response today

Also notice the skysports wording: "Bottas was the victim of first-lap aggression from Ferrari in France two weeks ago"

you'd think that Vettel pulled out a gun and tried to kill him.
Nice lad and great driver. Been better than Hamilton this season, imo.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Last laps were fantastic. Really really wish the Mercedes had fresh softs on also, would have been even better. Sad for Hamilton and Bottas, have to think with a bit more luck they'd be P1/2 in the championship.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Thinking about it you had the Hamilton/Rosberg incidents too. Not really new though when very competitive people clashing- eg Senna threatening to punch other drivers, back in the day.
Nigel had Senna by the throat at one point IIRC.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Lewis really is a prat. Claiming tactics by Ferrari is only him trying to cover up his shit house start.

His press conference interview was also a joke, crapping on about how he’ll have to try and get away from the Ferrari’s at the start... feck me mate you had pole position.

Wonder if Ron Dennis realised how big a fairy this bloke would turn out to be while he spoon fed him the best gear throughout his early career. Comes across as an only child who’s been spoilt their entire life.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Lewis really is a prat. Claiming tactics by Ferrari is only him trying to cover up his shit house start.

His press conference interview was also a joke, crapping on about how he’ll have to try and get away from the Ferrari’s at the start... feck me mate you had pole position.

Wonder if Ron Dennis realised how big a fairy this bloke would turn out to be while he spoon fed him the best gear throughout his early career. Comes across as an only child who’s been spoilt their entire life.
He's an absolute fcuk knuckle.

One of the most detestable people on the planet, not just F1.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Amen.

Biggest self entitled prick in the history of the sport and from the way he’s whining you’ll think he’s been held back his entire career because the FIA and everyone else is against him when in reality he’s one of the luckiest driver ever to race in one of the best cars annually.

altodevil

Lewis is a dick, but at least a bit of a personality. Some of the criticism on here goes a bit far in my book.

Luckiest driver ever to race? What? :lol:

Personality? He's devoid of anything resembling one.
He's not. He's actually quite a nice guy. He just seems to have developed a huge chip on his shoulder over the last few years and comes across as a spoilt brat in public.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Is it me or Hamilton tends to start slowly?
I'm not sure. He overtook Bottas in Austria, got nicely off the line in Spain and France.

I honestly think the Ferrari's markedly quicker than the Mercedes off the line though. Which means anything else than a front row lock-out means trouble for Mercedes.

Regarding Hamilton, I think what most fans of other drivers/teams and most neutrals dislike about him is his sense of entitlement.

For all of his talk about "enjoying the challenge" of Ferrari matching Mercedes this season, he clearly doesn't, as showcased by his petulant comments after the BGP, and also his whining over team radio basically the entire season.

UnrelatedPsuedo

He's not. He's actually quite a nice guy. He just seems to have developed a huge chip on his shoulder over the last few years and comes across as a spoilt brat in public.
I've spent time around him. My mate worked with an F1 team.

The spoiled brat part wouldn't actually bother me. Many serial winners can be dicks.

The chip on his shoulder is hugely grating and doesn't disappear when the cameras are off though.

He's boring. He's not interesting in any way, shape or form. Hell of a racing driver. But he's invented a personality for himself. He wears that persona 24/7. Anyone that behaves like that gets zero time of day from me (other than to shit talk him on a forum of course). The fact that he's picked this cocksure diamond encrusted one is even more telling. He decided over the course of a few years to become this hard man and it rings so hollow. He's been smacked up the side of the head before and did nothing about it.

Appreciate the fact that his friends probably love him and I'm sure that deep down, the kid that just wanted to race cars is in there, but he's a certified 24 carat twat.

I've spent time around him. My mate worked with an F1 team.

The spoiled brat part wouldn't actually bother me. Many serial winners can be dicks.

The chip on his shoulder is hugely grating and doesn't disappear when the cameras are off though.

He's boring. He's not interesting in any way, shape or form. Hell of a racing driver. But he's invented a personality for himself. He wears that persona 24/7. Anyone that behaves like that gets zero time of day from me (other than to shit talk him on a forum of course). The fact that he's picked this cocksure diamond encrusted one is even more telling. He decided over the course of a few years to become this hard man and it rings so hollow. He's been smacked up the side of the head before and did nothing about it.

Appreciate the fact that his friends probably love him and I'm sure that deep down, the kid that just wanted to race cars is in there, but he's a certified 24 carat twat.
So have I, since before he was famous. I have a bunch of friends in F1 and my wife even worked for the FIA and still keeps in touch with a lot of them. Fully agree his manufactured persona makes him an idiot but he is a nice guy when he lets his guard down, which almost never happens on an F1 weekend.

UnrelatedPsuedo

So have I, since before he was famous. I have a bunch of friends in F1 and my wife even worked for the FIA and still keeps in touch with a lot of them. Fully agree his manufactured persona makes him an idiot but he is a nice guy when he lets his guard down, which almost never happens on an F1 weekend.
Well my experiences remain, as do my friends. Yours are every bit as valid of course.

It's somewhat good to know that he can still be a normal human being.

Still feel that he overwhelmingly prefers the persona he has 'built' over who he actually is.

The part time psychologist in me would say he aspires to be Senna, Hunt, Kimi, Alonso, Vettel, with a wit and authenticity that he just doesn't possess. He's certainly their equal on track, but he's never truly been taken to F1 fans hearts.

The caricature manufactured swagger shit he does... never going to do him any favours. I can't see that dissipating before he finishes his career. Sadly.

muller

Well my experiences remain, as do my friends. Yours are every bit as valid of course.

Still feel that he overwhelmingly prefers the persona he has 'built' over who he actually is.

The part time psychologist in me would say he aspires to be Senna, Hunt, Kimi, Alonso, Vettel, with a wit and authenticity that he just doesn't possess. He's certainly their equal on track, but he's never truly been taken to F1 fans hearts.

The caricature manufactured swagger shit he does... never going to do him any favours. I can't see that dissipating before he finishes his career. Sadly.
Woah. Dude, this is the internet - it's not cool to allow others opinions.

For what it's worth, I don't mind Hamilton. I know why he would wind others up (although those who use his arrogance as a reason but then lap Vettel up genuinemly confuse me), but I also know a couple of situations in real life where he's done some amazing things for charities and young drivers - off of his own back (as in, no PR, cameras).

He's a fantastic driver though - I do wish that with this generation of racers they could all be placed in identical cars and race. Imagine how incredible that would be every week to see.

Yeah and I accept his persona is becoming more and more all encompassing. It's years since I have seen him but I do hear he still has some normalness left.

See the bolded bit. I think he gets his back up because he thinks it's to do with his race, not realising it's because he comes across as a prat in public. He wants to be some kind of Jay Z of F1 but the two will always be worlds apart.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure. He overtook Bottas in Austria, got nicely off the line in Spain and France.

I honestly think the Ferrari's markedly quicker than the Mercedes off the line though. Which means anything else than a front row lock-out means trouble for Mercedes.

Regarding Hamilton, I think what most fans of other drivers/teams and most neutrals dislike about him is his sense of entitlement.

For all of his talk about "enjoying the challenge" of Ferrari matching Mercedes this season, he clearly doesn't, as showcased by his petulant comments after the BGP, and also his whining over team radio basically the entire season.
For sure. He thought it would have been another walk in the park this season.

Hephaestus

Ok, sorry to break up the shitting on Lewis stuff, but he's accepted that it was a racing incident and claimed that his comments were "dumb shit". Also mentioned Kimi apologised for the earlier incident.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Lewis is a dick, but at least a bit of a personality. Some of the criticism on here goes a bit far in my book.

Luckiest driver ever to race? What? :lol:
How is he not one of the luckiest driver ever?

Name any F1 driver that started off his career with a car that's one of the best in the field since day 1 and has never ever driven in a car that's not one of the top contender for the championship.

altodevil

Name any F1 driver that started off his career with a car that's one of the best in the field since day 1 and has never ever driven in a car that's not one of the top contender for the championship.
How is that a sign of a driver's luckiness? He performed well enough in junior series to deserve the drive, then showed he belonged by finishing level on points with one of the greatest drivers of all time. Most good drivers get a winning car drive by their 2nd or 3rd season anyway. Hardly means a thing.

People forget the Mercedes was pretty rubbish when he joined them. It was a huge risk for him and he worked extremely hard to help develop the car.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is it me or Hamilton tends to start slowly?
He had a poor start as his car bogged down as the clutch engaged, but the ferrari start system is 100% the best on the grid. They rarely wheel spin / bog down and always launch impeccably.

Anyway back to the race, I really enjoyed this weekend! it seemed to have action all the way through which was nice. Close racing in the mid pack and of course the last 15 lap dash which was exciting until the end.

F1 needs more racing like that, the wider tracks always give off better racing.

Rooney1987

I’m gonna assume he doesn’t care considering Lewis has gone on to become one of the greats and accomplished so much. Multiple world champion and holding many records. Although apparently he’s just lucky.

Giggsy92

Wonder what 'one of the most detestable people on the planet' is in Ronspeak.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
He had a poor start as his car bogged down as the jolly good engaged, but the ferrari start system is 100% the best on the grid. They rarely wheel spin / bog down and always launch impeccably.

Anyway back to the race, I really enjoyed this weekend! it seemed to have action all the way through which was nice. Close racing in the mid pack and of course the last 15 lap dash which was exciting until the end.

F1 needs more racing like that, the wider tracks always give off better racing.
Yep, truly enjoyed the last 10 laps, with 4 drivers fighting for the win.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Wonder what 'one of the most detestable people on the planet' is in Ronspeak.
"The inference that he's unsuitable for my character verges on the absurd. It would be simpler to assimilate a global perspective, in totality. Within that quantum of data it could be loquaciously suggested that he is beyond the scope of anyones good favour"

mariachi-19

People forget the Mercedes was pretty rubbish when he joined them. It was a huge risk for him and he worked extremely hard to help develop the car.

Come off it mate. That Mercedes team were getting better and better. Something I think Schumacher had a lot to do with despite his own deficiencies at 43. He was a natural team builder as seen by both Benneton and Ferrari, and the natural progression of Mercedes from him joining, strikes resemblance to those two. He and Ross Brawn laid the foundations for Mercedes to do exactly what they did at Ferrari.

I guarantee you though, this cocksure dickhead won’t have half the will power (as seen by his time at McLaren) to turn it around when things go tits up which I foresee happening next year.

Hephaestus

Come off it mate. That Mercedes team were getting better and better. Something I think Schumacher had a lot to do with despite his own deficiencies at 43. He was a natural team builder as seen by both Benneton and Ferrari, and the natural progression of Mercedes from him joining, strikes resemblance to those two. He and Ross Brawn laid the foundations for Mercedes to do exactly what they did at Ferrari.

I guarantee you though, this cocksure dickhead won’t have half the will power (as seen by his time at McLaren) to turn it around when things go tits up which I foresee happening next year.
No they weren't. They got worse every year until Hamilton joined. 214 points in 2010, 165 in 2011, 142 in 2012, coming 4th, 4th and 5th respectively in the constructors. It was only in 2013, when Hamilton joined, that they suddenly improved again winning multiple races and coming second with 360 points. Mclaren were comfortably ahead of Mercedes all three years before Hamilton's move and while they went down in number of points in 2012 they won the same number of races as Red Bull. So that poster was right, it was a huge risk and Mercedes were pretty rubbish when he joined.

TheBest

SPNTBP
No they weren't. They got worse every year until Hamilton joined. 214 points in 2010, 165 in 2011, 142 in 2012, coming 4th, 4th and 5th respectively in the constructors. It was only in 2013, when Hamilton joined, that they suddenly improved again winning multiple races and coming second with 360 points. Mclaren were comfortably ahead of Mercedes all three years before Hamilton's move and while they went down in number of points in 2012 they won the same number of races as Red Bull. So that poster was right, it was a huge risk and Mercedes were pretty rubbish when he joined.
I remember Jenson saying how this was a risky move and how he wouldnt trade the Mclaren seat for Mercedes. Regardless I think Ross Brawn and the entire setup convinced him that the move was right. In the end he just made the right call. He wasnt going anywhere with Mclaren and their yearly feckups anyway.

mariachi-19

Those points numbers are nice and everything, but how about you actually look at items that matter in 2012, ie race wins, podiums and pole positions... something they looked no chance of doing in 10 and 11 and both drivers were getting them.

I’m sorry but that is far and away the marker you should judge f1 teams finding their feet from, not points finishes when it is quite clear that the development internally is focused on a long term goal.

I guarantee you though that a peak Schumacher would have changed those points numbers dramatically.

Hephaestus

Those points numbers are nice and everything, but how about you actually look at items that matter in 2012, ie race wins, podiums and pole positions... something they looked no chance of doing in 10 and 11 and both drivers were getting them.

I’m sorry but that is far and away the marker you should judge f1 teams finding their feet from, not points finishes when it is quite clear that the development internally is focused on a long term goal.

I guarantee you though that a peak Schumacher would have changed those points numbers dramatically.
3 podiums in 2010, 0 in 2011 and 3 in 2012 with one of those being a win and the only pole position of the three years at the 2012 Chinese GP. The case isn't helped either by Maldonado getting a pole and win less than a month later, illustrating that 2012's early season threw up the occasional weird race that could be dominated by a slower car. Indeed, Mercedes didn't get above fifth from the British GP onwards. Meanwhile in 2013 with Hamilton, 8 poles, 9 podiums and 3 wins. So yeah, still no evidence of them getting better and better before Hamilton joined, they had the fifth best car the year having been passed by Lotus (8 podiums and 1 win as well as double the points) and the fourth best the two years before. They were midtable in 2010, 2011 and 2012 and right near the top in 2013.

mariachi-19

3 podiums in 2010, 0 in 2011 and 3 in 2012 with one of those being a win and the only pole position of the three years at the 2012 Chinese GP. The case isn't helped either by Maldonado getting a pole and win less than a month later, illustrating that 2012's early season threw up the occasional weird race that could be dominated by a slower car. Indeed, Mercedes didn't get above fifth from the British GP onwards. Meanwhile in 2013 with Hamilton, 8 poles, 9 podiums and 3 wins. So yeah, still no evidence of them getting better and better before Hamilton joined, they had the fifth best car the year having been passed by Lotus (8 podiums and 1 win as well as double the points) and the fourth best the two years before. They were midtable in 2010, 2011 and 2012 and right near the top in 2013.
Schumacher took pole at Monaco in 2012 but due to a startline penalty had it taken away...

At no point did I say they where near the top of the pile, but their performances where increasing. I dare say they would have halted development on the 2012 car after it became obvious that the car was not as competitive as the the early season form suggested.

Hephaestus

Schumacher took pole at Monaco in 2012 but due to a startline penalty had it taken away...

At no point did I say they where near the top of the pile, but their performances where increasing. I dare say they would have halted development on the 2012 car after it became obvious that the car was not as competitive as the the early season form suggested.
So again, Mercedes looked occasionally competitive during the crazy open start where Williams got a pole/win and Sauber got two podiums with one being so close to a win.