F1 2021 Season

LoneStar

If the engine is damaged in an accident, does the team get more than the 3 designated limit? Or do they have to work within it?

pauldyson1uk

Valtteri Bottas could be racing for Alfa Romeo next season as George Russell's move to Mercedes for 2022 appears more and more likely.

Mercedes' official stance on its future driver line-up is that it will decide its second seat alongside Lewis Hamilton during the summer break, with Bottas and Russell the only candidates being considered for the plum drive.

"We have to put our heads together in Brackley and discuss the matter with Mercedes in order to work out what our future driver pairing should look like," Wolff told Motorsport-total.

"We will come together over the summer, reach a decision then decide how we want to communicate this."

However, speaking to RTL during the British Grand Prix weekend, Wolff suggested that a decision had perhaps already been reached.

"We will see what decision we make – or have already made but not yet said. Unfortunately, I have no news, I still don’t know which direction it is going," said the Austrian who concluded his comment with a wink!

Should Bottas need to find himself a new employer for 2022, the most logical option would appear to be a straight swap with Russell between Mercedes and Williams.

But the Finn is rumored to have dismissed such a prospect, fearing it would leave him stranded at the bottom of the grid.

Discarding Williams would offer Bottas just one other solution: Alfa Romeo, a team managed by Fred Vasseur, a close friend of Wolff who, as a reminder, manages Bottas' interests through his partnership with driver manager Didier Coton and their company Aces Management.

According to Motorsport-total, initial discussions have already taken place between Bottas' management and Vasseur.

The Hinwil squad recently announced an extension of its association with Alfa Romeo. However, Vasseur will have a free rein to decide his driver line-up and the Frenchman has already suggested that he could proceed with a complete refresh for 2022.

It's likely that the Swiss outfit will retain a young talent – although Antonio Giovinazzi may no longer fit the bill. But Bottas could prove a worthy and useful recruit to replace 41-year-old Kimi Raikkonen.

Either driver's experience would come in handy next season when teams will field all-new cars designed around F1's new regulations, but Bottas, still being in his prime, would seem like a better option than the ageing Iceman, F1's senior citizen.

Regardless of who Mercedes chooses to place alongside Hamilton, the seven-time world champion will accept his employer's decision.

"Lewis is okay with both scenarios," said Wolff. "And he understands the pros and cons that speak for Valtteri and George.

"Lewis has never tried to influence the decision and he has no preference as to who should be in the car.

"He likes the relationship with Valtteri, and we know it too. But he never said that he would like this or that best."

I would be shocked if he went to Alfa, but if its true his reason would be a sound one.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Ok so in other news, I got tickets for Zandvoort! First time I'm going to a GP. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled :houllier:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Formula 1 has confirmed that Monza will host the sport's second Sprint Qualifying trial as part of this year's Italian Grand Prix.
I am not a fan of sprint qualifying, but Monza is the only circuit where it might actually work.

ChaddyP

I am not a fan of sprint qualifying, but Monza is the only circuit where it might actually work.
I must be the only person that actually enjoyed watching the Sprint race at Silverstone. maybe its because i watch it on the PLC

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Jesus… Verstappen himself wasn’t actually gentlemanly in his defending leading up to the incident was he now! Then even complaining about Hamilton celebrating whilst one of his drivers was receiving medical attention?!?! WTF???? Horner & and the Verstappen family must have very bad memories, the friggin hypocrites. The truth is that even if Hamilton was at fault, Max made the mistake of battling Hamilton and giving him that opportunity in the first place. With the lead in the championship he had he should have been patient, let Hamilton take the lead and focus on the race strategy. That’s what Hamilton does and that’s why he’s a 7x World champion. F1 is not all about driving fast..

Balljy

He misses a very important comment from Masi in the conversation between Masi and Toto Wolff. " "Feel free to go upstairs and see the stewards directly."

That was obviously a mistake to make the comment, but I wonder why that's been missed off the transcript of what happened according to Redbull.

F1 teams told they risk penalties if personnel visit race stewards uninvited after British GP drama | F1 News (skysports.com)

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

Sorry about the size. Appears to be an Ad taken out with ESPN.

pauldyson1uk

Qatar is the latest venue believed to be on the list of potential candidates to hold a Grand Prix later in the year, if the coronavirus pandemic continues to force short notice changes and cancellations to the schedule.

So far the 2021 season had proceeded fairly smoothly despite the risk of disruption to the schedule due to COVID. However some races such as China, Australia, Singapore, the Netherlands and Canada have had to be cancelled or indefinitely postponed.

But now there are fears that some of the flyaway races planned for the second half of the year might also have to be abandoned, leaving F1 bosses scrambling to find enough replacement venues to maintain the proposed 23-race season.

So far, a second race in Austria and a planned GP at Turkey's Istanbul Park in October have helped fill the gaps, although there remains a vacant 'TBA' spot in November that still needs to be decided.

On top of that, local COVID infection rates have put a big question mark over the races set to be held in Japan, Brazil and Mexico.

A second round at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas is rumoured as a possible replacement for Japan. That could take place on October 17, a week later than the current date for Suzuka, which would enable a back-to-back doubleheader with the United States GP on the 24th.

An alternative proposal could see Brazil and Mexico pulled forward to fill those slots, followed by a week off before the two American rounds.

Rumours were recently stoked by COTA boss Bobby Epstein revealing that a major headline act had been secured for the Grand Prix - with the Rolling Stones separately announced as performing at the venue on November 20.

Other possibilities being considered by F1 bosses include a second race in Bahrain, which has already hosted the season opener in March.

A second race there is likely to use the oval-like 'Outer Loop' of the Bahrain International Circuit, as happened in last year's truncated season.

If held in late November it would make sense as part of a run of three Middle Eastern races together with Saudi Araba and Abu Dhabi closing out the season in December.

In the same spirit, Qatar would also make a natural addition to this part of the season.

The Losail International Circuit has long hosted the opening round of the MotoGP motorcycling world championship and has repeatedly expressed interest in holding a Formula 1 race.

The proposals have been turned down in the past due to how close it is geographically to Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, but the requirement to find extra venues for 2021 may overrule such concerns.

The need to deliver a full 23-race season has very real and significant implications for this year's F1 world championship.

With the title battle razor thin this season, any last minute changes to the number of races remaining could have a serious impact to the outcome of the championships as it would disadvantage the team running second needing to catch up.

And with Mercedes and Red Bull cars performing differently at the various types of tracks, the nature of the circuits that stay on the calendar - or are dropped, or end up being added - could easily swing the advantage to one team or the other.

https://f1i.com/news/413169-qatar-c...qFJJ858Jr4dzV0zgtj2cju1IbVszvynv03AJoDdp-dtDE

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Aren't they insured?
Maybe they don't want to loose their no claims discount...
Motorsport Insurance I seem to remember even at the bottom end is virtually impossible to get and when it is, incredibly expensive, I'm sure teams have to underwrite their own losses.

Horner has shown himself up for the entitled dick that he is, doubling down now again and again I expect he will dig his way to Australia and even then may keep on digging. Such an embarrassment.

Fluctuation0161

Really beginning to dislike Red Bull.

Such sore losers. Unprofessional levels of personal attacks iimmediately after the race. Then even days afterward they threaten legal action and run PR campaigns like this.

Disgraceful. Desperate.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal

Such sore losers. Unprofessional levels of personal attacks iimmediately after the race. Then even days afterward they threaten legal action and run PR campaigns like this.

Disgraceful. Desperate.
Feel the same. It's really bad form in my eyes, whinging that he's 16+ years experience and he shows himself and the team up like this. To me it smacks of immaturity.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
They must be feeling the pressure. I've never heard a team come out and say how much a crash has cost them in terms of money.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
They must be feeling the pressure. I've never heard a team come out and say how much a crash has cost them in terms of money.
That’s because there wasn’t a cost cap before? And I think Merc did it with Bottas/Russell earlier in the season to diffuse the issue between them both when they crashed.

Surely this is Red Bull simply trying to create an angle that they have been disadvantaged, you never know maybe there could be a central pot of money to cover damage where a driver has been given a penalty in future. They have a central pot of funding for damage in sprint races already.

It’s all just politics and there’s some sympathy as nobody likes to see an incident like that which impacts so much.

Nothing much will happen and they’ll get over it like F1 has many times.

Fluctuation0161

That’s because there wasn’t a cost cap before? And I think Merc did it with Bottas/Russell earlier in the season to diffuse the issue between them both when they crashed.

Surely this is Red Bull simply trying to create an angle that they have been disadvantaged, you never know maybe there could be a central pot of money to cover damage where a driver has been given a penalty in future. They have a central pot of funding for damage in sprint races already.

It’s all just politics and there’s some sympathy as nobody likes to see an incident like that which impacts so much.

Nothing much will happen and they’ll get over it like F1 has many times.
Threatening legal action against the stewards decision is not only creating an angle to get a potential pot of money. It is bad sportsmanship.

I do understand and accept they should not have a cost cap impacted by crashes. But they have gone beyond.

Ollie Derbyshire

Every crash costs a lot of money to fix afterwards, they are starting to look like a right bunch of school boys haha

Wicked_Badger

Yeah, they’re really not coming across well now.

Crashing is a risk of racing. The cost of crashing, either by a mistake or accident with another is part of doing business in F1. They have big big money sponsors, and earn big boy race prize money. Get over it already.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Threatening legal action against the stewards decision is not only creating an angle to get a potential pot of money. It is bad sportsmanship.

I do understand and accept they should not have a cost cap impacted by crashes. But they have gone beyond.
That’s always been the case in F1, they all do it and you don’t have to go that far back. Merc & Stroll challenged the new rules impacting low rake design and Merc for the decision around the rear wing flexing which I’m sure I read reports of potentially protesting as they allowed it in the next race still (Red Bull were going to counter with the Merc front wing flexing).

Pscholes18

Disgraceful. Desperate.
Yeah they need to let it go, they have a championship to win. Yeah I think Lewis was at fault, but ffs move on Red Bull, Mercedes has

Fluctuation0161

That’s always been the case in F1, they all do it and you don’t have to go that far back. Merc & Stroll challenged the new rules impacting low rake design and Merc for the decision around the rear wing flexing which I’m sure I read reports of potentially protesting as they allowed it in the next race still (Red Bull were going to counter with the Merc front wing flexing).
Totally understand and expect that. But Red Bull have made personal attacks, even in days following the race.

I could be wrong. But threatening legal action for a stewards decision is a first surely?

Fluctuation0161

No sympathy from me, their driver should have used some sense
True, even in the corners leading up to the crash, Weaving around 3 or more times when someone is going to overtake you is dangerous. He has done it for years.

Unsure what the specific rule is on this? But it is certainly dangerous and unsportsmanlike conduct.

hobbers

True, even in the corners leading up to the crash, Weaving around 3 or more times when someone is going to overtake you is dangerous. He has done it for years.

Unsure what the specific rule is on this? But it is certainly dangerous and unsportsmanlike conduct.
No it isn't. Breaking the tow is bog standard racecraft. You saw Fernando doing it in exactly the same way as Max's first lap in the sprint race on every straight.

Moving in the braking zone is dangerous and against the rules.

Fluctuation0161

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal

You are allowed to move across once aren't you or has that changed?

Fluctuation0161

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The issue is Horner is making a huge deal out of this, as soon as Perez makes a mistake or Verstappen takes out Hamilton Mercedes are going to come back twice as hard. Where does it end?

I understood why he was angry at the time but to carry it on after the dust has settled shows he's rattled.

slyadams

:lol:

So I guess that the overhead shot I posted, where Max clearly leaves space for Lewis down the inside, must have been photoshopped eh?

Or how about the FIA’s official verdict, where four drivers studied the incident and came to the conclusion that Max did in fact leave space down the inside?

Hilarious :lol:
I'm talking about the pictures I posted where Max did not leave space at Imola and Spain in response to your assertions that Max's moves there were fine. You chose to ignore those completely.

Oh, and Rosberg says racing incident.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I wonder if everyone will forget this topic come Hungary or if this tedious debate is going to continue all season. Imagine if Hamilton wins the WDC by a few points. Infordin will be back here with 700 posts about how Hamilton is the devil and how Max can do no wrong and reigniting the debate from Silverstone.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I'm talking about the pictures I posted where Max did not leave space at Imola and Spain in response to your assertions that Max's moves there were fine. You chose to ignore those completely.
This whataboutism is irrelevant because every incident is judged by itself.

Verstappen’s moves in Inola and Spain were perfectly valid because he was level or ahead on corner exit, and in F1 you are allowed to push the outside driver off in that scenario, although it’s frowned upon.

Lewis Hamilton himself is an expert in this type of dirty driving, especially when he was racing Rosberg. Look at the start here:

Oh, and Rosberg says racing incident.
I don’t particularly care what Rosberg or anyone else says. Plenty of people have solely blamed Lewis (Ricciardo, Button, Webber, DC) and I don’t find solace in people agreeing with me because I don’t think that appeal to authority is a valid argument.