F1 2021 Season

ArjenIsM3

For me this shows that the rules need to change regarding safety cars. Ending a race under safety cars shouldn't be allowed. I think the American system of extending the race should be considered for F1.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Massive twist of protocol to find away to take it away from the only black driver who had the balls to wear a rainbow helmet in the middle east ...
Now this is a meltdown among meltdowns. Top, top effort. :drool:

Ixion

The way they like creating this WWE/Netflix drama they'll probably arrange a 1 on 1 drag race between Max and Hamilton to settle it once and for all

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Which part specifically is unfair if you look at the rules though? This is a genuine noob question. Having lapped cars pass the sc is common practice though usually it's all cars and not just a few?

LoneStar

Yup...if nobody was unlapped Lewis won
If everybody unlapped the race was over and Lewis won

Massive twist of protocol to find away to take it away from the only black driver who had the balls to wear a rainbow helmet in the middle east ...
That explains why they never considered me for an F1 driver as well, I’m brown and obviously the FIA want white domination. Or it could be that I am not good enough for F1. Probably the former though.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
What do you want to happen? That RB just willingly go and give the title to Ham and Mercedes? They did nothing wrong. Why should they be punished?
Bit of an over reaction here from you.

That post wasn't saying anything about Redbull, and it is a joke of a sport when you have team managers in the official's ears and can change rules on the fly.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

Yeah British people are historically so marginalized and the media does NOTHING. It's disgusting.

Bad week for Hamilton anyway, lost this and Carlisle have put Stevenage into the relegation zone in a serious six point game.

passing-wind

There are plenty of experts on here but I think the gist is that a group of cars should have been allowed to change track position but they decided to only let the ones between Max and Lewis do it.

The suggestion is if they'd let all cars do so, they would have run out of laps and the title decided behind a safety car.

The allegation is they bent (broke) the rules to clear a route for Max and give him a final shot at Lewis.... on new tyres
Wow what a calamity, so the shortfalls are behind the FIA. Sounds like the equivalent of FIFA officials, seems a lack of effort to follow the sports legislation carry across most sports today.

Think it's a bad rep for the F1, especially attracting so many casuals such as myself. To have the climax of the championship decided on a technicality rather than the determination of race strategy is not good. A shame.

Castia

What do you want to happen? That RB just willingly go and give the title to Ham and Mercedes? They did nothing wrong. Why should they be punished?
Not blaming Red Bull at all where did I state that?

Things need to change though because people watching that today aren’t watching a sport it’s closer to sports entertainment

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
For me this shows that the rules need to change regarding safety cars. Ending a race under safety cars shouldn't be allowed. I think the American system of extending the race should be considered for F1.
Problem is they're fueled for a certain amount of laps and most of them run under the required amount already.

They'd have to refuel which would take ages as they can't do it in a pitstop anymore like Indy

The Hilton

Honestly mate I'm as annoyed as you are but you can't throw accusations like that around.

The FIA have long wanted a new champion, but that would have been the case no matter the race of whoever was dominating.

Think you need to take that one back, put it down to heightened emotions, and focus on the actual injustice rather than speculating for reasons that aren't justifiable.

Leg-End

It's not really possible in F1 though, fuel is calculated to the absolute last drop. You can't extend races because of the lack of re-fuelling, we would end with Formula E style last laps where they run out of battery, it's stupid.

The only real fix is closing the pit lane during VSC and full SC but even that has it's disadvantages, there is no good solution.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Bloody useless! Ruined everything. So Hamilton was 11 seconds in front with 5 cars between them and 7 laps to go, and FIA decides to put them side to side on the last lap with Verstappen on new tyres and Hamilton on tires that have done 40 laps.
Agree with this - Lewis was robbed.

We need an rvn

The problem with that is that the cars these days put the fuel down to x% of a litre to finish the race + 1 lap. Hence if they drove around for 5 extra laps because the race was extended, the cars wouldn't be able to finish.

But I agree, the race shouldn't finish under a safety car. Perhaps in hindsight they should have red flagged the race and let the cars back in with 5 laps to go in the order that the race had to be stopped

RepardReece

Which part specifically is unfair if you look at the rules though? This is a genuine noob question.
So there are two parts Merc are protesting.

1. The restart from the safety car, either all overtaken cars have to overtake or none at all, but only the ones between Lewis and Max ended up overtaking, which was done to ensure the last lap was "raced", if all of them passed, the race probably would've probably ended behind the SC and Lewis would've won. On top of this, I think (correct me if i'm wrong), there has to be a full lap completed under the SC once the cars have unlapped themselves?
2. Max briefly overtook Lewis under the SC, so trying to get him a 5sec penalty here.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Honestly mate I'm as annoyed as you are but you can't throw accusations like that around.

The FIA have long wanted a new champion, but that would have been the case no matter the race of whoever was dominating.

Think you need to take that one back, put it down to heightened emotions, and focus on the actual injustice rather than speculating for reasons that aren't justifiable.
Hah I stand by it...

They changed the rules to few somebody over... the only driver with the balls to represent the black and lbgqt community... set it right or justify it

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
One particular view I take issue with is the idea of “you can’t punish Max because the FIA got it wrong”. The only reason Max had the opportunity to pass was because the FIA got it wrong. Correcting a wrong decision shouldn’t not happen because someone loses out.

pauldyson1uk

Really, you posted this and thought it was OK !!!
Think you need to log for a while , this post is a new low.
You have not had a good day have you.

macheda14

Sorry struggling to understand from googling, what does unlapping mean with regards to the 5 cars between Lewis and Max, they're allowed to go past the safety car before everyone else while Lewis, Max and everyone else wait behind the safety car?
So Lewis had lapped every car on the track. Usually when there is a safety car EVERY lapped car is told that they are allowed unlap themselves to go past the safety car and return to track position behind those that have lapped them. OR you don't allow them to unlap themselves and then restart the race with everyone in the same position as they were when the safety car was called out. What was crazy here is Masi the race director decided that only the five cars between Lewis and Max were allowed to unlap themselves AND THEN immediately call in the safety car (the regulations say that if you were to let cars unlap themselves, the safety car pits the lap after the final car has unlapped itself - which would have meant the safety car staying out until the end of the race). This is against all the agreed upon regulations and just meant that Max who had fresh and softer tires was no allowed to get right behind Lewis (when he previously was like 13 seconds behind / had 5 lapped cars to pass).

The only two ways the race should have finished were either:
1, let all the lapped cars unlap themselves and bring the safety car in the following lap, therefore finishing the race under safety car and giving Lewis the WDC
2, Pit the safety car and for the final lap Lewis would have been in front of those five cars and whilst they would have had to get out of the way for Max, it would have taken a lot longer than the 2 seconds Max ended up winning by. Therefore Lewis would have been WDC.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So there are two parts Merc are protesting.

1. The restart from the safety car, either all overtaken cars have to overtake or none at all, but only the ones between Lewis and Max ended up overtaking, which was done to ensure the last lap was "raced", if all of them passed, the race probably would've probably ended behind the SC and Lewis would've won. On top of this, I think (correct me if i'm wrong), there has to be a full lap completed under the SC once the cars
have unlapped themselves?
2. Max briefly overtook Lewis under the SC, so trying to get him a 5sec penalty here.
Yup doe either and Lewis wins

They made it up for some reason... I'm guessing they don't like a black chap wearing a rainbow helmet in the middle East

Leg-End

Christ I just realised Horner is only 48, we have another 20 years of his burly hemorrhoid face filling our screens.

Rooney1987

I wonder if we get a situation both get the title. I before people say it ai know trying to move pieces around in no way could they achieve it, points wise or wins. Merc aren’t gonna accept FIA saying yeah Masi fecked he’s now sacked but result stands. It could get messy if that’s what is told to happen. I know it sounds ridiculous but you can’t take the title away from Max, that wasn’t his fault but Lewis got screwed so it’d be unfair to not award him the win.

GeorgieBoy

One particular view I take issue with is the idea of “you can’t punish Max because the FIA got it wrong”. The only reason Max had the opportunity to pass was because the FIA got it wrong. Correcting a wrong decision shouldn’t not happen because someone loses out.
A good point.
A lot of the unhappiness here isn’t directed towards Max.
He’s a fantastic driver and for me equally deserving of the title.
But he wouldn’t have been there but for a balls up at the end of this race.

arnie_ni

What do we think about the overtaking during SC protest? It seems frivolous to me but he does go ahead of Hamilton so if the stewards want to correct everything they could give him a 5 second penalty…
What caused the overtake or is that irrelevant?

Again, haven't watched in years but I thought he did nose ahead for a second then dropped back but it looked like Hamilton sort of hit the brakes. Obviously haven't seen a replay.

spiriticon

A good point.
A lot of the unhappiness here isn’t directed towards Max.
He’s a fantastic driver and for me equally deserving of the title.
But he wouldn’t have been there but for a balls up at the end of this race.
Exactly. Max is a great driver and will win a WC one day. He doesn't need to be given championships by Michael Masi. Ridiculous.

hobbers

What do we think about the overtaking during SC protest? It seems frivolous to me but he does go ahead of Hamilton so if the stewards want to correct everything they could give him a 5 second penalty…
I think Merc have to protest it. But that happens so often when the pack is being backed up on a safety car restart and is never penalised. Lewis was 3-4 car lengths ahead at the safety car line.

Honestly it would be one of the biggest shambles in the sports history to penalise for that. I think unlapping only a certain number of cars is a far more valid complaint but with a less clear outcome if it's in any way upheld.