F1 2021 Season

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
No he is not, he's just a replacement driver that turned out to suit Mercedes better than a good driver. The point is that Hamilton didn't need to have a considerable gap to Bottas when the Mercedes was by far the best car. It's on saturdays like these two that he needs to get 3 tenths more out of the car because it counts now, and he doesn't.
Bottas is a better driver than any of Max's teammates bar Ricciardo.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No he is not, he's just a replacement driver that turned out to suit Mercedes better than a good driver. The point is that Hamilton didn't need to have a considerable gap to Bottas when the Mercedes was by far the best car. It's on saturdays like these two that he needs to get 3 tenths more out of the car because it counts now, and he doesn't.
So what's your assessment of Hamilton then? It sounds like you're saying he's a good driver that's been carried to greatness by the car...?

Tiber

It will be an absolute travesty if George ends up stuck at Williams next year because Lewis is still too traumatised by Rosberg to have a competitive teammate

Fluctuation0161

More often than not he does. Strange point.

hobbers

It will be an absolute travesty if George ends up stuck at Williams next year because Lewis is still too traumatised by Rosberg to have a competitive teammate
The two year contract makes me think it's quite likely Bottas will still be his team mate for at least one of those seasons.

pauldyson1uk

The two year contract makes me think it's quite likely Bottas will still be his team mate for at least one of those seasons.
Russell has said publicly, that he will have a Mercedes engine behind him next season. He is loyal to Mercedes
This could mean a couple of things.
1. He has a new 2 years contract at Mercedes and Bottas could be heading the other way
2. Bottas will stay at Mercedes for 2022 and Russell has been promised the drive from 2023 onwards.
I dont for one minute think that Lewis has any problem with his team mate being Russell, in fact I think he will relish it.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Bottas is a better driver than any of Max's teammates bar Ricciardo.
He may be faster than Perez over one lap but I think Perez is the better driver when it actually counts on race day. Bottas is fine when he sits in the best car on the grid and can do his own thing 15sec behind Lewis in the lead, but if something happens and he gets stuck behind slower cars he's made that Merc look like a midfield car far too often.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Russell has said publicly, that he will have a Mercedes engine behind him next season. He is loyal to Mercedes
This could mean a couple of things.
1. He has a new 2 years contract at Mercedes and Bottas could be heading the other way
2. Bottas will stay at Mercedes for 2022 and Russell has been promised the drive from 2023 onwards.
I dont for one minute think that Lewis has any problem with his team mate being Russell, in fact I think he will relish it.
Isn't Williams using a Mercedes engine as well?

dinostar77

Mercedes getting some upgrades for Silverstone however they also confirmed this years car is getting zero wind tunnel time.

Really hope the Silverstone upgrades bring Mercedes on par with RB otherwise it really is over.

United Hobbit

Do F1 do loans like football? If Bottas does get kept at Mercedes next season (hope not) and a seat became available at say McLaren (as Ricciardo has been a bit naff) surely Russell would get more benefit having a years "loan" in the McLaren, than having another season stuck at Williams unless they have some super new car planned for next season?

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
More often than not he does. Strange point.
Not often enough. 6-3 to Hamilton in quali. Bottas has been completely off the pace twice, Imola and Baku, Hamilton only once in Monaco. When Hamilton beats Bottas it's usually wel within 0.15. That's easily enough to beat Bottas for the WC in a very superior car, it's not enough to beat a very quick driver in a car that's almost as good. Allthough heavily criticized, it's Bottas that is showing it's Hamilton who's not performing well enough, not Mercedes.

F-Red

Strong rumours that Russell to Merc was concluded in similar fashion to Hamilton this weekend. The Merc CEO is in Austria this weekend to talk 2025 engines and to negotiate salary for Hamilton, apparently the announcement on the second seat will be made at Silverstone.

pauldyson1uk

Strong rumours that Russell to Merc was concluded in similar fashion to Hamilton this weekend. The Merc CEO is in Austria this weekend to talk 2025 engines and to negotiate salary for Hamilton, apparently the announcement on the second seat will be made at Silverstone.
I am reading the same in quite a few places, along with lots of bullshit that Lewis is finished, he wont want Russell there, even one saying he had to pick between Russell and Norris !!!

pauldyson1uk

from the F1 website

SUNDAY, JULY 4 – RACE WEATHER
Conditions:
Unsettled with frequent showers expected over mountains from the late morning. Showers could reach the circuit from 2pm to 5pm, but the chance is only moderate at this range.
Maximum temperature expected: 23 Celsius
Chance of rain: 40%

Rooney1987

Not often enough. 6-3 to Hamilton in quali. Bottas has been completely off the pace twice, Imola and Baku, Hamilton only once in Monaco. When Hamilton beats Bottas it's usually wel within 0.15. That's easily enough to beat Bottas for the WC in a very superior car, it's not enough to beat a very quick driver in a car that's almost as good. Allthough heavily criticized, it's Bottas that is showing it's Hamilton who's not performing well enough, not Mercedes.
Bottas is 81 points behind Max and 5th in the standings behind Lando. Bottas has only beaten Lewis once in a race, that was Azerbaijan and the circumstances was a little different that race. Hamilton has made mistakes this year and is being outperformed by Max but has shown on more then 1 occasions he’s still good enough this season. It’s only a 18 point difference from Max.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Why would there be a salary negotiation for Hamilton when he has just signed a new 2 year contract?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am reading the same in quite a few places, along with lots of bullshit that Lewis is finished, he wont want Russell there, even one saying he had to pick between Russell and Norris !!!
Out of interest, what are these 'places'.

F-Red

Why would there be a salary negotiation for Hamilton when he has just signed a new 2 year contract?
Clearly that negotiation happened before he signed the contract yesterday, I thought that would have been obvious. The CEO has been at the circuit all weekend.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Cleary that negotiation happened before he signed the contract yesterday, I thought that would have been obvious. The CEO has been at the circuit all weekend.
Bit harsh. I was only asking a simple question.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Important that Lando makes a very fast start in order to maximise his grid position.
Hopefully he will be able to split the Mercedes cars. Go Lando and go George.

F-Red

Bit harsh. I was only asking a simple question.
Wasn't having a dig, I just thought it made sense that a discussion/sign off on salary would happen prior to him signing. The context of him being there is signing off the contracts for both drivers. It carries some mileage for me personally, I can't imagine them waiting for the British GP to make a Finnish announcement, they would of announced Hamilton resigning there rather than in Austria.

United Hobbit

Oh no what's happened to Russell? Is he able to start?

Shame the chance of rain is so slim.

Come on Norris!

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Yes Lando. Stayed strong there I think Perez got too aggressive and it backfired.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Pretty dumb by Perez that was obvious going into the corner and really hurt Red Bull on strategy. Norris was never going to be in the race long term.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Bottas once again showing how shite he is. Lewis and Lando have left him miles behind.

United Hobbit

Hope Norris doesn't get a penalty

How is Bottas getting dropped so easily? Not that I'm complaining but....

Zlaatan

Parody Account
He may be faster than Perez over one lap but I think Perez is the better driver when it actually counts on race day. Bottas is fine when he sits in the best car on the grid and can do his own thing 15sec behind Lewis in the lead, but if something happens and he gets stuck behind slower cars he's made that Merc look like a midfield car far too often.
I may have to revisit this comment after the race..