F1 2021 Season

GeorgieBoy

With graphics to make clearer
Nice one. The ingenuity and ability to adapt in this sport always amazes me.
Hope this gives the Mercs the edge for the final few races; really want to see it go down to the wire.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
OK I found this really interesting

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-anderson-explains-mercedes-suspension-trick/

If true then its the suspension lowering that is effectively stalling the drag making the car quicker on the straight whilst allowing a generally higher downforce for the rest of the circuit

Provided this is mechanically achieved which I'm guessing the fia must have checked it seems perfectly legal

Why are red bull so pissed and why don't they copy it... well apparently they simply can't get the same result due to the high rear rake on the car and that is not really possible to change that in a short time as its one of the first and most fundamental design decisions in the car.

If that is what's causing the differential then looking at the circuits coming up its going to be tough for red bull

A new engine with improved output on top of this and Merc / Hamilton will be in with a real shout despite the remaining GPS initially looking to favour red bull

Red bull seem to be making a lot of fuss about a flexible wing but surely the fia have scrutinised that now so if it is the suspension making such a difference it really does seem a very clever innovation
We've known about this since Turkey though, so it's not something new to make a fuss of.

I don't know what else they're looking at, maybe they think the Mercedes rear wing is purposely weak and deforming somehow to flex open more under load?

Anyway, thanks to all the mathematicians in this thread we know there was practically zero advantage from it anyway.

The speed is down to Mercedes turning this engine up to 100% and being brand new - and having this low suspension trick to reduce lag.

Something Sky seem to keep ignoring is that a new engine will always do more work when going up a hill. Interlagos main straight is UPHILL hence why the speed advantage is so enhanced. On the back straight with the DRS there wasn't actually much of an advantage.

massi83

Just in case anyone is reading this and thinking that's quite a hefty advantage.

A 0.0023% improvement in speed at 200mph is actually 0.0046mph.

That's whilst they're going 200mph and whilst the wing is open, and if that 0.0023% extra gap actually fully translated to speed gain.
The problem here is, that 0.2/85=0.0024 or 0.24%. (Not saying it matters at all, but the first guy already fecked up the percentages.)

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The problem is if Max finishes ahead of Lewis today even if Lewis wins the remaining 3 races with fastest lap if Max finishes 2nd he would still win the championship. Lewis has to finish ahead of max today to stand a chance I think.
I think the point is depending on todays result, it could be in a situation where Max could finish second behind Hamilton at all the remaining races and still win the title. Anything can happen so it’s obviously not fully over until it is. But it is becoming increasingly improbable.
Saying it's over is quite obviously a coping mechanism.
Fair enough lads appreciate the replies. I understand it's crunch time but definitely not over yet. Can never count out someone as talented as Hamilton especially when his car is at the very least top 2 fastest. I just hope there are no more accidents. Let's see some good racing over the last few GPs

dinostar77

A few mentions of Mercedes turning the engine up to 100% on here. Which isnt possible under the rules. The ICE engine can only be turned down for practise. For qually and race there is only one map. It's the electric motor that has different maps to it that you can turn up or down. A new ICE will help lewis, as a new ICE engine would help anyone on the grid.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I found this article interesting… and some of the comments at the end (** I’m not saying everything said is facts but seems clear rather then some of the guesses made on social media).

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mercedes-feels-hamilton-wing-case-treated-unusually-harshly/

For anyone wanting Mercedes to give a clear response, they can’t … yet. ‘The FIA has retained the wing for the remainder of the race weekend so Mercedes has not been able to assess why it failed the test but believes something to be broken in its mechanism’. “Our number 1 [mechanic] was there as it was being tested and he has reported that he believes it to be broken,” explained Wolff.

The FIA statement confirming the penalty stated the stewards accepted the infringement was not intentional, saying “it was clear to the stewards that the additional deflection was due to additional play either in the DRS actuator or the pivots at the end, or some combination or other fault with the mechanism, or incorrect assembly of the parts…” and “the stewards fundamentally accept the competitor’s explanation that the cause of the failed test was something ‘gone wrong’ rather than a deliberate action.” ‘

I’ve read this elsewhere… it wasn’t 0.2mm across the wing, just at one end (so for the people doing mathS, you might need to reduce this significant advantage Hamilton got)… ‘ “In this case, the gauge would not pass through at the inner section of the wing, but did at the outer section of the wing. This test was repeated four times with two different gauges.” ‘

Red Bull (and others) will also have to be very careful. Tito Wolff ‘ “from now we will be asking questions of everything. If a gentleman’s agreement existed before it doesn’t now.” ‘

One of the comments at the end of the article (has a different view of mathS to others)… “if we say the 85mm DRS gap buys you 0.5s (which is about right for Interlagos) then if the whole gap was an extra 0.2mm big (which it wasn't, but let's assume), then a simple sum would say 0.2/85 x 0.5s = 0.001s. But if it's only at one end, it would be less than that”

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A few mentions of Mercedes turning the engine up to 100% on here. Which isnt possible under the rules. The ICE engine can only be turned down for practise. For qually and race there is only one map. It's the electric motor that has different maps to it that you can turn up or down. A new ICE will help lewis, as a new ICE engine would help anyone on the grid.
:lol: how naive of you.

You don’t think they can regulate horse power with boost levels? they can also control the upper RPM limit too which will throttle peak power.

Yes you’re correct that they cannot change map settings like they used to in race, but there’s plenty of ways to get around it.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Macern

Pee pee pants
Where do you guys get all your F1 news? I’ve only been following F1 since finishing Drive to Survive in April so not really sure how to stay updated. I watch every quali and every race, but there is always stuff that happens in between race weekends that I miss.

Jack-C20

Where do you guys get all your F1 news? I’ve only been following F1 since finishing Drive to Survive in April so not really sure how to stay updated. I watch every quali and every race, but there is always stuff that happens in between race weekends that I miss.
There’s a few decent YouTube channels that are good at breaking things down for idiots like me. Been watching years but without colourful graphics I may as well be listening to Mandarin.
WTF1 and The Race are two decent ones.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Fair enough lads appreciate the replies. I understand it's crunch time but definitely not over yet. Can never count out someone as talented as Hamilton especially when his car is at the very least top 2 fastest. I just hope there are no more accidents. Let's see some good racing over the last few GPs
I think this is the point though right? Hamilton could have the fastest car by 10 seconds per lap, it still wouldn’t be in his hands after today depending on results.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Still broke the rules, how much tolerance do you give ?
You can't give any, that's the way it has you be, harsh for 0.2mm , yeah maybe.
He hit a few kerbs in qualifying, maybe that knocked it out of tolerance.
I agree. It’s over hence no choice. But I wonder if there should be a margin of error. Eg checks pre quali = no margin of error. Post quali = x% margin to account for damage?

Difficult and would probably over complicate it so wouldn’t necessarily be in favour. Just an option though if it transpires the breach really was as a result of on track use rather than an error in engineering.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Looks like another red bull complaint to the fia about the flex in the merc rear wing is almost inevitable

https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bull-not-finished-with-mercedes-wing-yet/

Find this absolutely ridiculous tbh. The stewards are there for a reason and if they can penalise Mercedes’ for DRS being 85.2mm then I am sure that they won’t let them get away with some sort of rule break which is giving them a massive advantage apparently. This sort of constant badgering by Redbull just creates needless doubt & controversy

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Find this absolutely ridiculous tbh. The stewards are there for a reason and if they can penalise Mercedes’ for DRS being 85.2mm then I am sure that they won’t let them get away with some sort of rule break which is giving them a massive advantage apparently. This sort of constant badgering by Redbull just creates needless doubt & controversy
You don‘t have to break the rules to gain an advantage in this sport with the complexity in the regulations. Mercedes were the one complaining about Red Bull’s rear wing earlier this season yet it passed the checks. So the FIA changed the test to stop Red Bull. That’s what Red Bull are trying to work out now so they can do the exact same.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Lando has already said that he won’t defend against Hamilton so expect him to make quick progress. This will all be about how far Max can get up the road and wonder if they’ll play games with Bottas to slow Max down.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Lando has already said that he won’t defend against Hamilton so expect him to make quick progress. This will all be about how far Max can get up the road and wonder if they’ll play games with Bottas to slow Max down.
Not defending because he is clearly miles quicker, I assume?

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Not defending because he is clearly miles quicker, I assume?
Yes, made the remark yesterday it was too easy for Hamilton and joked he should probably start with 3 wheels to make it more even.

But mainly because they are racing Ferrari so need to protect the tyres who will most likely do the same.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How can Red Bull change their rear wing between qualifying and the race every single race without penalty?
Exactly that. Incomprehensible is an understatement.
And unsurprisingly, Christian Horner says because RB discovered it and asked for a change, it is completely different to the Mercedes rear wing problem.
And bear in mind that Mercedes have still not yet been given access to their wing which was impounded.
He sounds more like Boris Johnson every day and is becoming as big an embarrassment.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Bottas gonna Bottas.

Verstappen has won the Championship him and that Red Bull has been on another level the second half of the season.