F1 2022 Season

pauldyson1uk

Awful weekend, and such a shame that Ratzenberger is often forgotten in the conversation too.

I remember hearing that when officials responded to Sennas crash they found an Austrian flag in the cockpit that he had planned to hold out of his car after the race to honour Ratzenberger :(
Sid Watkins, knew he was not in the right frame of mind to race, he said to him, we will both walk away now and just spend time fishing. Senna said back, I cant do that.

pauldyson1uk

As much as I hated it at the time being a Mclaren fan, f1 really is better with a bit of spice to it :lol: the sport needs 'bad guys' like Hamilton/Alonso/Vestappen etc.

It's a shame there isn't really any inter team rivalry right now, as that usually brings out the worst in drivers :D
F1 with spice has you say is much better, the old days of Senna / Prost and Hunt / Lauda made for brilliant races.

pauldyson1uk

April 30 1994. It was the day before the annual San Marino F1 Grand Prix. Some 20 minutes into the final qualifying session, Ayrton Senna was standing in the vicinity of his blue and white Williams Renault. Preparing to head back out onto the circuit for one last fight against the clock, he glanced up at a nearby video monitor and froze. Removing his balaclava, the face of the 34-year-old Brazilian started twisting into a mask of horror. For playing out on the TV screen above him was the live and grisly demise of Simtek driver Roland Ratzenberger.

Snapping from the force of striking reinforced concrete at well over 300km/h, the Austrian's neck could no longer support the weight of his helmeted head and it slapped violently against the sides of the car's narrow cockpit. After visiting the accident scene, a distraught Senna stopped by the circuit's medical centre, where Professor Sid Watkins, medical chief of the International Automobile Federation, tried to console him. Between the tears, Watkins pitched a career move that has since become the stuff of legend.

"You know, Ayrton," he said, "you've been three times world champion, you're the fastest man in the world, and you like fishing, so, why don't you quit, and I'll quit, and we'll just go fishing."

After internalising the suggestion, Senna composed himself and answered: "Sid. I cannot quit."

He didn't, and the next day he was killed when he crashed while leading the race.

Ever since his first season with Toleman in 1984, the São Paulo native had harboured a tenacity that few, if any, of his competitors could rival.

In the paddock and on the grid, Senna crackled with a passionate, hot-headed intensity - strikingly at odds with the droid-like personalities dominating the sport today. He was a classic "Type A" personality for whom giving up was just not an option. The Brazilian saw willingness to quit as a sign of weakness - a terrible germ that, if given the chance to grow, would strangle any prospect of self-development. Senna strove for perfection in all realms of life, especially when it came to the high stakes game of Formula One. "You either do well or you forget it," he said during a 1980s TV interview. This rabid will to win was often belied by his quiet, almost reclusive demeanour.

Away from the circuit, he kept a low profile. He valued the intimacy of family and would often choose to distance himself from people when seated at his favourite restaurants.

Despite being mixed up in a sport filled with the biggest egos on the planet, Senna displayed a level of quiet humility more in keeping with that of a librarian than a world champion racing driver.

So where did all that trackside fire come from, that aggressive all-or-nothing driving ethic that thwarted the likes of the great Frenchman Alain Prost? Obviously an obscene amount of talent comes into it. But look beyond this and you'll discover Senna's fearless approach to racing was borne of faith.

A devout Catholic, Senna believed that God was responsible for giving him his first taste of Formula One - testing a Williams FW08 at Donington Park in July 1983. He maintained that divine intervention helped him feel relaxed and in control while he clocked 40 faultless laps - some of which bettered the efforts of the team's then star, Keke Rosberg. This unwavering trust in the Almighty, an almost beatific sense of protection, is perhaps what gave Senna the confidence to explore the limits more than other drivers at that time. On any given lap he could brake much later, accelerate sooner and corner harder than anybody else would dare.

That's why he racked up no fewer than 65 pole positions in his decade-long career. And also why he often found himself in a near trancelike state when strapped behind the wheel of a 480kW race machine. Equipped with manual gearboxes, no driver aids and considerably less down-force than today's Formula One cars, tarmac missiles like the McLaren MP4/4 were edgy beasts that took a fair amount of taming.

In trying to prove his worth, Senna would occasionally find himself in another realm. Like during qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix where he dominated the final timing sheet.

"I suddenly realised that I was no longer driving conscious," he told the cameras. "And I was in a different dimension from me. The circuit for me was a tunnel through which I was just going, going, going. And I realised that I was well beyond my conscious understanding. Suddenly it frightened me. I drove back slowly to the pits and did not go out anymore that day." Imagine if Lewis Hamilton or Sebastian Vettel said this in a post-race interview today? There'd be an international uproar.

In a sport built upon data and physics and science and engineering, Senna's approach to driving was often the target of criticism. "Ayrton has a small problem," Prost said in a 1989 interview. "He thinks that he can't kill himself because he believes in God and things like this. And I think that is very dangerous for the other drivers."

Yet Senna shrugged it off. Instead of distancing himself from his faith, he got closer to it. Particularly when faced with the crippling bureaucracy and horrific accidents that plagued the Formula One grid back in those days. To mask his vulnerability, the Brazilian would channel his belief system and push harder than ever. This will to fight against all odds helped Senna to win three world championships and turned him into an icon, a national hero, in his poverty-stricken homeland.

Brazil simply idolised Senna. His success, his pugnacious driving style and incredible sense of patriotism gave the man in the street good reason to celebrate. In an era marred by inflation, military rule and political instability, he provided the general populous with a much-needed shot of inspiration. He became the country's best-loved ambassador.

While many famous compatriots tried to downplay their Brazilianness, Senna celebrated and savoured his origins. After winning a grand prix he would often perform a victory lap with the national flag furling from inside the cockpit of his car. On the surface this looked like Senna was merely revelling in mass adoration. But as with everything else in the man's life, his celebrity went so much deeper.

Even though he came from a family of means and was earning a fortune in one of the world's most glamorous sports, Senna felt it his duty to try to uplift the poor.

Fortunately, he had the perfect launch pad from which to do so. "People have to have a chance, a basic chance at least, for education, nutrition and medical care. If this does not begin to happen, then there is little hope for the future. Formula One is nothing compared to those things."

He quietly donated millions of his personal fortune (an estimated $400-million) to aid in the upliftment of Brazil's most underprivileged.

When you look through his life it becomes evident that Senna was obsessed with the notion of bettering himself as a human being. And perhaps he thought the best opportunity to do so resided in the sport that would lead to his death. An arena of extreme highs, tragic lows and ceaseless political turmoil, Formula One moulded him into the thoughtful and eloquent man he had become at the height of his career. It was his catalyst for enlightenment.

"For me, this research is fascinating. Every time I push, I find something more, again and again. But there is a contradiction. The same moment that you become the fastest, you are enormously fragile. Because in a split second, it can be gone. All of it. These two extremes contribute to knowing yourself, deeper and deeper."

In that intense heat of on-track competition, Senna found something divine, an intangible form of energy that seemed to power his entire life force. Formula One was his manna. Which is why even in the face of death he could never, would never, quit.

Of safety and sacrifice

It took the demise of one of the world's greatest racing drivers to forever change the face of safety in Formula One. After Ayrton Senna was laid to rest it was clear that something drastic had to be done to prevent more fatalities.

With Max Mosley and Professor Sid Watkins (a neurosurgeon) taking the lead, the cars were given a much-needed overhaul.

The most obvious change was to raise the sides of cockpits to better protect the driver's head from obstacles and debris in the event of a crash. Other innovations included collapsible steering columns, the compulsory wearing of head and neck support devices, and far more stringent crash test evaluations - especially of the driver's all-important carbon-fibre "survival cell".

Much attention was also paid to the race circuits themselves. Run-off zones were extended and the number of high G-force corners reduced.

The combination of all these and many other factors had an almost immediate effect on driver safety.

Last edited:

SirAnderson

April 30 1994. It was the day before the annual San Marino F1 Grand Prix. Some 20 minutes into the final qualifying session, Ayrton Senna was standing in the vicinity of his blue and white Williams Renault. Preparing to head back out onto the circuit for one last fight against the clock, he glanced up at a nearby video monitor and froze. Removing his balaclava, the face of the 34-year-old Brazilian started twisting into a mask of horror. For playing out on the TV screen above him was the live and grisly demise of Simtek driver Roland Ratzenberger.

Snapping from the force of striking reinforced concrete at well over 300km/h, the Austrian's neck could no longer support the weight of his helmeted head and it slapped violently against the sides of the car's narrow cockpit. After visiting the accident scene, a distraught Senna stopped by the circuit's medical centre, where Professor Sid Watkins, medical chief of the International Automobile Federation, tried to console him. Between the tears, Watkins pitched a career move that has since become the stuff of legend.

"You know, Ayrton," he said, "you've been three times world champion, you're the fastest man in the world, and you like fishing, so, why don't you quit, and I'll quit, and we'll just go fishing."

After internalising the suggestion, Senna composed himself and answered: "Sid. I cannot quit."

He didn't, and the next day he was killed when he crashed while leading the race.

Ever since his first season with Toleman in 1984, the São Paulo native had harboured a tenacity that few, if any, of his competitors could rival.

In the paddock and on the grid, Senna crackled with a passionate, hot-headed intensity - strikingly at odds with the droid-like personalities dominating the sport today. He was a classic "Type A" personality for whom giving up was just not an option. The Brazilian saw willingness to quit as a sign of weakness - a terrible germ that, if given the chance to grow, would strangle any prospect of self-development. Senna strove for perfection in all realms of life, especially when it came to the high stakes game of Formula One. "You either do well or you forget it," he said during a 1980s TV interview. This rabid will to win was often belied by his quiet, almost reclusive demeanour.

Away from the circuit, he kept a low profile. He valued the intimacy of family and would often choose to distance himself from people when seated at his favourite restaurants.

Despite being mixed up in a sport filled with the biggest egos on the planet, Senna displayed a level of quiet humility more in keeping with that of a librarian than a world champion racing driver.

So where did all that trackside fire come from, that aggressive all-or-nothing driving ethic that thwarted the likes of the great Frenchman Alain Prost? Obviously an obscene amount of talent comes into it. But look beyond this and you'll discover Senna's fearless approach to racing was borne of faith.

A devout Catholic, Senna believed that God was responsible for giving him his first taste of Formula One - testing a Williams FW08 at Donington Park in July 1983. He maintained that divine intervention helped him feel relaxed and in control while he clocked 40 faultless laps - some of which bettered the efforts of the team's then star, Keke Rosberg. This unwavering trust in the Almighty, an almost beatific sense of protection, is perhaps what gave Senna the confidence to explore the limits more than other drivers at that time. On any given lap he could brake much later, accelerate sooner and corner harder than anybody else would dare.

That's why he racked up no fewer than 65 pole positions in his decade-long career. And also why he often found himself in a near trancelike state when strapped behind the wheel of a 480kW race machine. Equipped with manual gearboxes, no driver aids and considerably less down-force than today's Formula One cars, tarmac missiles like the McLaren MP4/4 were edgy beasts that took a fair amount of taming.

In trying to prove his worth, Senna would occasionally find himself in another realm. Like during qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix where he dominated the final timing sheet.

"I suddenly realised that I was no longer driving conscious," he told the cameras. "And I was in a different dimension from me. The circuit for me was a tunnel through which I was just going, going, going. And I realised that I was well beyond my conscious understanding. Suddenly it frightened me. I drove back slowly to the pits and did not go out anymore that day." Imagine if Lewis Hamilton or Sebastian Vettel said this in a post-race interview today? There'd be an international uproar.

In a sport built upon data and physics and science and engineering, Senna's approach to driving was often the target of criticism. "Ayrton has a small problem," Prost said in a 1989 interview. "He thinks that he can't kill himself because he believes in God and things like this. And I think that is very dangerous for the other drivers."

Yet Senna shrugged it off. Instead of distancing himself from his faith, he got closer to it. Particularly when faced with the crippling bureaucracy and horrific accidents that plagued the Formula One grid back in those days. To mask his vulnerability, the Brazilian would channel his belief system and push harder than ever. This will to fight against all odds helped Senna to win three world championships and turned him into an icon, a national hero, in his poverty-stricken homeland.

Brazil simply idolised Senna. His success, his pugnacious driving style and incredible sense of patriotism gave the man in the street good reason to celebrate. In an era marred by inflation, military rule and political instability, he provided the general populous with a much-needed shot of inspiration. He became the country's best-loved ambassador.

While many famous compatriots tried to downplay their Brazilianness, Senna celebrated and savoured his origins. After winning a grand prix he would often perform a victory lap with the national flag furling from inside the cockpit of his car. On the surface this looked like Senna was merely revelling in mass adoration. But as with everything else in the man's life, his celebrity went so much deeper.

Even though he came from a family of means and was earning a fortune in one of the world's most glamorous sports, Senna felt it his duty to try to uplift the poor.

Fortunately, he had the perfect launch pad from which to do so. "People have to have a chance, a basic chance at least, for education, nutrition and medical care. If this does not begin to happen, then there is little hope for the future. Formula One is nothing compared to those things."

He quietly donated millions of his personal fortune (an estimated $400-million) to aid in the upliftment of Brazil's most underprivileged.

When you look through his life it becomes evident that Senna was obsessed with the notion of bettering himself as a human being. And perhaps he thought the best opportunity to do so resided in the sport that would lead to his death. An arena of extreme highs, tragic lows and ceaseless political turmoil, Formula One moulded him into the thoughtful and eloquent man he had become at the height of his career. It was his catalyst for enlightenment.

"For me, this research is fascinating. Every time I push, I find something more, again and again. But there is a contradiction. The same moment that you become the fastest, you are enormously fragile. Because in a split second, it can be gone. All of it. These two extremes contribute to knowing yourself, deeper and deeper."

In that intense heat of on-track competition, Senna found something divine, an intangible form of energy that seemed to power his entire life force. Formula One was his manna. Which is why even in the face of death he could never, would never, quit.

Of safety and sacrifice

It took the demise of one of the world's greatest racing drivers to forever change the face of safety in Formula One. After Ayrton Senna was laid to rest it was clear that something drastic had to be done to prevent more fatalities.

With Max Mosley and Professor Sid Watkins (a neurosurgeon) taking the lead, the cars were given a much-needed overhaul.

The most obvious change was to raise the sides of cockpits to better protect the driver's head from obstacles and debris in the event of a crash. Other innovations included collapsible steering columns, the compulsory wearing of head and neck support devices, and far more stringent crash test evaluations - especially of the driver's all-important carbon-fibre "survival cell".

Much attention was also paid to the race circuits themselves. Run-off zones were extended and the number of high G-force corners reduced.

The combination of all these and many other factors had an almost immediate effect on driver safety.
Thanks for this, was a good read, what a man he was.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Sid Watkins, knew he was not in the right frame of mind to race, he said to him, we will both walk away now and just spend time fishing. Senna said back, I cant do that.
Aye, utterly tragic :(

Of safety and sacrifice

Thanks for sharing this.

Ahmer Baig

Of safety and sacrifice

Thank you for sharing this. What a great read.

pauldyson1uk

Do F1 drivers take dramamine or something to deal with driving induced nausea? Or are they fitted with iron stomachs?
good question.
Found this.
Do f1 drivers get motion sickness?

Yes. Not often, though. Rarely because of the speed of the car, because they are used to that, and being in control helps your brain deal with accelerations. So, some racing drivers might get sick when they are passengers in a racing car.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
good question.
Found this.
Do f1 drivers get motion sickness?

Yes. Not often, though. Rarely because of the speed of the car, because they are used to that, and being in control helps your brain deal with accelerations. So, some racing drivers might get sick when they are passengers in a racing car.
I ask because I went go karting a few weeks ago. Max speed was 40 mph (do the math converting to metric), so way short of what these guys experience. My stomach was off for the rest of the day, had to drink some ginger ale to curb the feeling to spew all over...

pauldyson1uk

I ask because I went go karting a few weeks ago. Max speed was 40 mph (do the math converting to metric), so way short of what these guys experience. My stomach was off for the rest of the day, had to drink some ginger ale to curb the feeling to spew all over...
F1 driver will be more used to it, but I suspect they will have to deal with the same sort of thing after races.

dinostar77

Ferrari extend Sainz till 2024. Apparently hes currently better at giving feedback and working with the engineers than leclerc.

dinostar77

Of safety and sacrifice

Good read. Lewis also had a "out of body experience" at singapore in 2018 i think it was (when ferrari were illegally oil burning or something to give the engine a massive powerboost), the greatest qually lap of lewis's career apparently. So along with Senna at Monaco in 1988 i dont recall any other drivers saying something similar. Did schmacher ever experience such a thing during qualifying in his career?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Sprint races are fantastic because we get to see Ferrari win two races per weekend instead of just one. :D

Zlaatan

Parody Account
What a slug you are, you’ve only just gone and probably jinxed it!
I was going for smug so I was close at least. And don't worry about me jinxing things, if I had that power then United would've been undefeated for a few years straight now.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Just read a book by Mark Priestley, who was a Mclaren mechanic from about 2000 to 2009.
Quite interesting was: how well Kimi and DC come across, how bad the atmosphere between Alonso and Hamilton was, the fact that Hamilton disobeyed team orders during that famous Hungaroring quail prior to Alonso blocking him, how disingenuous he was with the media and then his subsequent maturing. Also touched upon Spygate, general life on the road and the quirks of Ron Dennis. Was 2 quid on kindle and worth a shot for that.
Ron wouldn’t have been great and painful to work with in equal parts… However, one of the most brilliant thinkers. Nothing exited his mouth that wasn’t carefully considered in thought before doing so… hence the ronisms.

pauldyson1uk

FIA defends Aston Martin safety car
Formula One's governing body defended the Aston Martin safety car on Thursday, reminding drivers that its top speed was of secondary importance, after world champion Max Verstappen compared it to a turtle.
Aston Martin and Mercedes both provide safety and medical cars for grands prix, with the championship divided between the two marques and Germany's Bernd Maylander the driver.
"The FIA would like to reiterate that the primary function of the ... safety car is, of course, not outright speed but the safety of the drivers, marshals and officials," it said in a statement.

Red Bull's Verstappen had said after Sunday's Australian Grand Prix that the Aston Martin 4.0 litre twin-turbo V8 Vantage used in Melbourne lapped too slowly when twice deployed following crashes.

"For sure the Mercedes safety car is faster because of the extra aero. The Aston Martin is really slow. It definitely needs more grip, because our tyres were stone cold," the Dutchman told reporters after retiring from the race.

The Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series used in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, and new for this year, produces some 730bhp compared to the Aston's 528bhp.

Ferrari's Charles Leclerc, the championship leader and winner of two of the first three races, said he had also wanted to go faster.

"I wanted to complain, but then I checked how much the safety car was sliding in the corner and I don't think there was anything more that he could give so I didn't want to put too much pressure," he told reporters.

"With the cars that we have now it's very difficult to keep the temperatures in the tyres behind the safety car."

pauldyson1uk

Verstappen pokes fun at Hamilton role in Chelsea bid
Max Verstappen has poked fun at rival Lewis Hamilton’s involvement in a Chelsea takeover bid by saying: “I thought he was an Arsenal fan”.
Sky News revealed earlier on Thursday that seven-time world champion Hamilton was part of Sir Martin Broughton’s consortium hoping to buy the west London club, along with tennis legend Serena Williams.
Hamilton, who is gearing up for Sunday’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, has declared himself as an Arsenal supporter on a number of occasions.
In an interview with the PA news agency, world champion Verstappen said: “I am a PSV fan and I would never buy Ajax.
“And if I was going to buy a football club I would want to be the full owner and to take the decisions myself, not own just a tiny percentage.
“I thought he was an Arsenal fan? And if you are an Arsenal fan going for Chelsea, that it is quite interesting.
“But everyone does what they want with their money so let’s see what comes out of it.”

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Qualy with no practice would be interesting.

Also feck sprint races.

pauldyson1uk

First drivers out on intermediates
We've seen plenty of spins today but drivers still feel the track is ready for intermediate tyres - and the Aston Martins of Sebastian Vettel and Lance Stroll are the first out on the green-marked compound.
Vettel's first lap takes him up to fifth so that seems like the optimum tyre for these conditions.

pauldyson1uk

Ahead of this weekend's Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola, the FIA has issued its final F1 driving standards guidelines.

A preliminary version of the law that prevails when F1 drivers are racing was published ahead of the start of the season by the governing body.

But the guidelines – which were initially requested by the drivers as a document clarifying the factors that are taken into account by the FIA stewards when judging infringement - have now been published in full.

The FIA made clear that "for avoidance of doubt, these are merely guidelines to assist the stewards in their decision making and are non-binding".

Guidelines for overtaking on the inside of a corner

In order for a car being overtaken to be required to give sufficient room to an overtaking car, the overtaking car needs to have a significant portion of the car alongside the car being overtaken and the overtaking manoeuvre must be done in a safe and controlled manner, while enabling the car to clearly remain within the limits of the track.

When considering what is a ‘significant portion’ for an overtaking on the inside of a corner, among the various factors that will be looked at by the stewards when exercising their discretion, the stewards will consider if the overtaking car’s front tires are alongside the other car by no later than the apex of the corner.

Guidelines for overtaking on the outside of a corner

In order for a car being overtaken to be required to give sufficient room to an overtaking car, the overtaking car needs to have a significant portion of the car alongside the car being overtaken and the overtaking manoeuvre must be done in a safe and controlled manner, while enabling the car to clearly remain within the limits of the track.

When considering what is a ‘significant portion’, for an overtaking on the outside of a corner, among the various factors that will be looked at by the stewards when exercising their discretion, the stewards will consider if the overtaking car is ahead of the other car from the apex of the corner. The car being overtaken must be capable of making the corner while remaining within the limits of the track.

Guidelines for chicanes and s-bends

The above guidelines would apply similarly for each corner. In addition to the guidelines above, we remind all concerned about the existing regulations covering the following issues:

Track Limits

Requirements of Article 27.3 of the F1 Sporting Regulations will be strictly enforced, with infringements appropriately penalised: For the avoidance of doubt, the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track, but the kerbs are not. Should a car leave the track for any reason, the driver may re-join. However, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.

Impeding

Requirements of Article 27.4 of the F1 Sporting Regulations will be strictly enforced, with infringements appropriately penalised: At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person.

Giving back a lasting advantage

Procedure set out in Article 27.3 will be strictly followed: Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the Race Director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track.

If a driver, for example, short-cuts a chicane or a corner, it is his or her responsibility to clearly give back the advantage he or she gained. This may include giving back the timing advantage up to drop back a position behind the relevant driver.

Respect of Flags

All competitors are required to respect all flags displayed for the orderly conduct of the Event, strictly in accordance with the regulations. Infringements will be appropriately penalised.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Unbelievable how far ahead the Ferrari is to the rest. They really have aced it this year.