F1 2022 Season

dinostar77

Prost is one of my all time favourite drivers.
This battles with Senna were epic and at times intensely disliked each other, so much so in 1993 Prost signed for Willams after being sacked from Ferrari in 1992, Senna also wanted to drive for Willams, but Prost had a clause in his contract banning Senna from signing.
Not sure I agree with 9 times, but he could 've had 2 or 3 more than his 4.
Suzuka 1990 was poor on Senna's part, deliberately took himself and Prost out at the first corner, thus winning the WC.
Some think the Max v Lewis battle last season was intense, Prost v Senna was 100x worse and involved lots of dirty tricks, resulting in collisions, fines and a 6 month suspension for Senna, but it was amazing racing that came to a sad end with the death of Senna.
Its either in this Beyond the Grid podcast with Prost or the one with his manager when they discuss the potential 9 times.

SirAnderson

I agree Rimaldo is the best poster in here, his knowledge is very good, posts balanced and informative posts.
I don't hide I am a Lewis fan , but I think I am equal in praise and critique of him.
I actually don't know if I've ever seen rimaldo be serious, in this thread or otherwise. :lol:
Don't worry you are one of the levelled headed ones generally speaking :D

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
f1 is for gheyz wot put things up their bumbums like pushrod suspension arms and cats, except max verystappen who is da og.

I am a better rimaldo than rimaldo

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Agreed, for all we know he may get a featured slot in 2 weeks time! Fingers crossed!
Hope you have lots of handbags for us @GDaly95 :drool:

As you get your feet wet, some pointers:

@rimaldo is the only one you can really take serious in this thread and even can help sharpen up your knowledge on all things F1. He's the cafe's Brundle. Just not as young as him.

Then there's the OP of this thread, @pauldyson1uk he tries he's best to not come to Lewis' rescue ALL the time by posting all the relevant results as they come out, just don't mention Masi he who shall not be named when speaking to him and you'll be alright.

Last bonus nugget, in case you looking for likeminded and affluent individuals, the current chairmen of Hamilton Apologetics is @simonhch

I see you've already locked words with some, so I'm sure you will be up to speed with who's who in no time. ;)
Welcome!
yeah. let me know if you want to know anything about f1 @GDaly95. i’m well versed in the sport. for example, after putting it off for a while as i didn’t think i was ready, i just watched the latest season of dts and i feel like i just invited my own rapist on a second date.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Prost is one of my all time favourite drivers.
This battles with Senna were epic and at times intensely disliked each other, so much so in 1993 Prost signed for Willams after being sacked from Ferrari in 1992, Senna also wanted to drive for Willams, but Prost had a clause in his contract banning Senna from signing.
Not sure I agree with 9 times, but he could 've had 2 or 3 more than his 4.
Suzuka 1990 was poor on Senna's part, deliberately took himself and Prost out at the first corner, thus winning the WC.
Some think the Max v Lewis battle last season was intense, Prost v Senna was 100x worse and involved lots of dirty tricks, resulting in collisions, fines and a 6 month suspension for Senna, but it was amazing racing that came to a sad end with the death of Senna.
What annoyed me about that Senna horseshit documentary (which was so one sided and full of falsities it couldn’t even be described as a documentary) was that they painted Prost as evil and Senna as a saint.

Prost was sublime. I call him a diet version of what Schumacher became, but he was easily one of the top 5 drivers of all time.

pauldyson1uk

What annoyed me about that Senna horseshit documentary (which was so one sided and full of falsities it couldn’t even be described as a documentary) was that they painted Prost as evil and Senna as a saint.

Prost was sublime. I call him a diet version of what Schumacher became, but he was easily one of the top 5 drivers of all time.
I though Senna is brilliant. but agreed very one sided, Prost was given some credit at the end.
Prost was no saint either. I would say the Prost v Senna era was the best ever in F1.
I would put Senna ahead of Prost.
Top 4 for me, behind, Lewis , Sch and Senna

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I would say the Prost v Senna era was the best ever in F1.
I would put Senna ahead of Prost.
Its kinda strange when you look back at the two years they spent together as team mates

one championship each and one second place each

and the scoring system was a little strange looking back with people excluding some races from their total but in pure stats over the two seasons

Total Points scored : Senna 154 - Prost 186
Points counted to championship: Senna 150 - Prost 163
Total Wins : Senna 14 - Prost 11
Total Podiums : Senna 18 - Prost 25

It was very close but without the requirement to drop some of your lowest finishes from your championship total Prost would have won two titles

Another strange anomaly though is that although Prost won in 1989 he only actually finished one race ahead of Senna all season (the 1st race in Brazil where senna finished 11th and Prost finished 2nd)

was a great couple of seasons especially because of how good that mclaren was it would probably have been pretty boring just watching one of them win a couple of titles by a big margin which if they had not been team mates probably would have happened

Also when you look at some of the subsequent eras of f1 (for example when tyre preservation was critical) perhaps prost would have been more dominant and other times the cars would have more suited senna

For me the top four drivers in my time watching F1 are Prost Senna Schumacher and Hamilton - its really hard to think who is the best and to compare over generations (I never saw fangio but comparing him to hamilton is so difficult given the difference in what f1 is now to then)

Senna was 28 I think when he won his first f1 title and that was his first season in a team really able to challenge - and vettell had won 4 world championships by that age

He didnt even get an F1 drive till he was 24 (or was it 23)

in the modern day its likley his talent would have seen him on the grid and certainly in a competative car by early 20's so again its hard to compare to the modern era

Again Prost was 25 by the time he made it to F1 and 30 by the time he had a drivers title

throwing a car round a lap and squeezing every last tenth out if it - senna
getting a car to the end of the race quickest - probably prost for me

both were exceptional though and I dont think we have had two drivers of that talent at the peak racing against each other in my time watching.

pauldyson1uk

Its kinda strange when you look back at the two years they spent together as team mates

one championship each and one second place each

and the scoring system was a little strange looking back with people excluding some races from their total but in pure stats over the two seasons

Total Points scored : Senna 154 - Prost 186
Points counted to championship: Senna 150 - Prost 163
Total Wins : Senna 14 - Prost 11
Total Podiums : Senna 18 - Prost 25

It was very close but without the requirement to drop some of your lowest finishes from your championship total Prost would have won two titles

Another strange anomaly though is that although Prost won in 1989 he only actually finished one race ahead of Senna all season (the 1st race in Brazil where senna finished 11th and Prost finished 2nd)

was a great couple of seasons especially because of how good that mclaren was it would probably have been pretty boring just watching one of them win a couple of titles by a big margin which if they had not been team mates probably would have happened

Also when you look at some of the subsequent eras of f1 (for example when tyre preservation was critical) perhaps prost would have been more dominant and other times the cars would have more suited senna

For me the top four drivers in my time watching F1 are Prost Senna Schumacher and Hamilton - its really hard to think who is the best and to compare over generations (I never saw fangio but comparing him to hamilton is so difficult given the difference in what f1 is now to then)

Senna was 28 I think when he won his first f1 title and that was his first season in a team really able to challenge - and vettell had won 4 world championships by that age

He didnt even get an F1 drive till he was 24 (or was it 23)

in the modern day its likley his talent would have seen him on the grid and certainly in a competative car by early 20's so again its hard to compare to the modern era

Again Prost was 25 by the time he made it to F1 and 30 by the time he had a drivers title

throwing a car round a lap and squeezing every last tenth out if it - senna
getting a car to the end of the race quickest - probably prost for me

both were exceptional though and I dont think we have had two drivers of that talent at the peak racing against each other in my time watching.
Yeah the scoring could be hard to understand sometimes.
I would pick the same top four in order if pushed it would be Lewis , Schumacher, Senna and Prost, add Seb and that's my top 5.
I agree you cant compare from generations fully, I would have loved to see the like of Fangio , Clarke and Stweart in their prime.
How would the likes of Hunt and Lauda done in the modern cars.
I think Senna and Prost in the current Ferrari , Red Bull or the Mecedes would be unbeatable.

pauldyson1uk

Lewis Hamilton says he has no intention of complying with a rule that is part of the FIA's International Sporting Code that forbids drivers from wearing jewelry while out on track.

Last weekend in Melbourne, during the F1 driver briefing, FIA race director Niels Wittich reminded the group of the provision in the rulebook that bans jewelry and body piercings.

"The wearing of jewellery in the form of body piercing or metal neck chains is prohibited during the competition and may therefore be checked before the start," states the article from Appendix L of the FIA's sporting code.

Queried on the rule which was introduced way back in 2005, Hamilton explained why he will not remove the piercings he has.

"I don't have any plans on removing them," he said. "They are personal things. You should be able to be who you are.

"There is stuff that I cannot move. I literally cannot even take these out. These ones on my right ear are welded in so I would have to get it chopped off. They will be staying."

A facetious Hamilton eventually made light of the subject.

"Well I’ve got certain piercings that I really just can’t take out, that not many people know of… Nah I’m kidding!" joked the seven-time world champion.

"It’s been the rule forever, since I’ve been here it’s been the rule, so nothing new. I’m just going to come with more jewelry next week."

So its been a rule for 17 years, is its not pass the stage of enforcing it, for any driver ?

ArjenIsM3

Lewis Hamilton says he has no intention of complying with a rule that is part of the FIA's International Sporting Code that forbids drivers from wearing jewelry while out on track.

Last weekend in Melbourne, during the F1 driver briefing, FIA race director Niels Wittich reminded the group of the provision in the rulebook that bans jewelry and body piercings.

"The wearing of jewellery in the form of body piercing or metal neck chains is prohibited during the competition and may therefore be checked before the start," states the article from Appendix L of the FIA's sporting code.

Queried on the rule which was introduced way back in 2005, Hamilton explained why he will not remove the piercings he has.

"I don't have any plans on removing them," he said. "They are personal things. You should be able to be who you are.

"There is stuff that I cannot move. I literally cannot even take these out. These ones on my right ear are welded in so I would have to get it chopped off. They will be staying."

A facetious Hamilton eventually made light of the subject.

"Well I’ve got certain piercings that I really just can’t take out, that not many people know of… Nah I’m kidding!" joked the seven-time world champion.

"It’s been the rule forever, since I’ve been here it’s been the rule, so nothing new. I’m just going to come with more jewelry next week."

So its been a rule for 17 years, is its not pass the stage of enforcing it, for any driver ?
It's a shite rule but if the FIA want to make a fuss about it now (for safety reasons or whatever they come up with) they obviously could. With Lewis taunting the race director it could go either way.

pauldyson1uk

It's a shite rule but if the FIA want to make a fuss about it now (for safety reasons or whatever they come up with) they obviously could. With Lewis taunting the race director it could go either way.
The taunt was more of a joke I think.
Bracelets and rings, yeah I can see that, but earrings would that make any difference wearing a helmet.
You are correct, if FIA want to make something then they will, but what is the question.
A fine would be my bet, I cant see them docking points or grid penalties.

Last edited:

arthurka

The taunt was more of a joke I think.
Bracelets and rings, yeah I can see that, but earrings would that make any difference wearing a helmet.
You are correct, if FIA want to make something then they will, but what is the question.
A fine would be my bet, I cant see them docking points or grid penalties.
I am not a fan of the man but he is completely on point with this. If he wants to wear the jewels why the feck shouldn't he. Absolutely bollocks this. You go show them who's boss here Lewis.

Abizzz

Toto’s comments on Masi are out of line. Team managers shouldn’t be engaged with Masi other than during race times. He’s effectively a ref in a sporting contest.
I'm sure that's why he was dinning with team managers days before races.

Masi was as useless in his role as a Trump/Boris ministers where/are in theirs. He had no use.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I'm afraid F1 is just a wee bit more technical than a bunch of hairy folk kicking a pigs bladder from one end of a field to another and Team Principles are doing exactly what they're supposed to do in having a relationship with the 'Ref'. On occasion they have to represent their drivers while various penalties are handed down mid-race, clarifying and also appealing where they do not understand when the penalty should be spent - during what period, straight through the pit area to the 50mph line or in their pit area for example, and also on occasion when they need to seek clarification on whether rules are being applied correctly or as has always been understood etc etc. It's kind of why these people have historically always had these relationships.

SirAnderson

I'm afraid F1 is just a wee bit more technical than a bunch of hairy folk kicking a pigs bladder from one end of a field to another and Team Principles are doing exactly what they're supposed to do in having a relationship with the 'Ref'. On occasion they have to represent their drivers while various penalties are handed down mid-race, clarifying and also appealing where they do not understand when the penalty should be spent - during what period, straight through the pit area to the 50mph line or in their pit area for example, and also on occasion when they need to seek clarification on whether rules are being applied correctly or as has always been understood etc etc. It's kind of why these people have historically always had these relationships.
Let me stop you right there. Just no. That's simply wrong.
F1 is a bunch of guys just driving in circles. That's it.
Isn't that right? @Schmiznurf

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Let me stop you right there. Just no. That's simply wrong.
F1 is a bunch of guys just driving in circles. That's it.
Isn't that right? @Schmiznurf
True, but not American circles because technically they may have opposite turns.

Clarification please @Schmiznurf ?

pacifictheme

Just listening to the kmag beyond the grid podcast episode, good listen. So was mansell as well. Loved him as a driver although I only got to see the championship year really. Interesting to hear him chat about that season.

dinostar77

Just listening to the kmag beyond the grid podcast episode, good listen. So was mansell as well. Loved him as a driver although I only got to see the championship year really. Interesting to hear him chat about that season.
The Beyond the Grid podcast series is fantastic. I pretty much have it on when doing stuff like diy or gardening. Some great tales and some suprises about missed opportunities, tragedies, politics and so forth. Great stuff.

pacifictheme

The Beyond the Grid podcast series is fantastic. I pretty much have it on when doing stuff like diy or gardening. Some great tales and some suprises about missed opportunities, tragedies, politics and so forth. Great stuff.
Funnily enough I was digging some fence post holes while listening this morning.

Also recommend bring back v10, very interesting podcast for the same reasons really.

mariachi-19

What an absolute load of shite :lol:

It’s very clear that those rules can be discussed mid race and so can interpretation of those rules considering the level of support the teams have not just at the track, but back at home. Masi is not there to guide or rule on technical irregularities with the cars, he is there explicitly to act as a ref during the race. Considering the support network he has, his job is probably easier than a premier league ref pre VAR if you really want to go there.

Wining and dining of the likes with refs shouldn’t be accepted, you’re effectively opening the doors to corruption or favours. Nor should technical directors be effectively trying to “coach” refs into how they should act or behave. That is a matter for the FIA, not Toto, Horner, Binnotto etc (save for Gunter).

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
What an absolute load of shite :lol:

It’s very clear that those rules can be discussed mid race and so can interpretation of those rules considering the level of support the teams have not just at the track, but back at home. Masi is not there to guide or rule on technical irregularities with the cars, he is there explicitly to act as a ref during the race. Considering the support network he has, his job is probably easier than a premier league ref pre VAR if you really want to go there.

Wining and dining of the likes with refs shouldn’t be accepted, you’re effectively opening the doors to corruption or favours. Nor should technical directors be effectively trying to “coach” refs into how they should act or behave. That is a matter for the FIA, not Toto, Horner, Binnotto etc (save for Gunter).
Why do you even bother with these ridiculous stances you try to witter on about? :lol: (laughing emoji because we are being so entertaining).

The Race Director also known as 'Race Director' - oh sorry, no it's the same singular title, but isn't called the 'Ref' ffs :lol::lol: (more laughing emoji because it's oh so funny of course)

The race director controls practice, qualifying and the race, making sure that the timetable is followed properly. If necessary, the race director can propose changes to the timetable; for example, if heavy rain delays a session.
Let us all know when you see the 'Race Director' because that is what he is laughing emoji called anything like, or known as anything specifically as 'The Ref' eh?

Here's a helpful but brief article explaining the 'Race Director's' job if it helps - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/who-is-michael-masi-f1-race-director/6885564/

Just feel free to ask for help in understanding what goes on, there's no shame in asking.

mariachi-19

Why do you even bother with these ridiculous stances you try to witter on about? :lol: (laughing emoji because we are being so entertaining).

The Race Director also known as 'Race Director' - oh sorry, no it's the same singular title, but isn't called the 'Ref' ffs :lol::lol: (more laughing emoji because it's oh so funny of course)

Let us all know when you see the 'Race Director' because that is what he is laughing emoji called anything like, or known as anything specifically as 'The Ref' eh?

Here's a helpful but brief article explaining the 'Race Director's' job if it helps - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/who-is-michael-masi-f1-race-director/6885564/

Just feel free to ask for help in understanding what goes on, there's no shame in asking.
Haven’t you got more posters to call racists because they disagree with your opinion?

I mean, the fact you’re still a scout after last week is a joke in itself but please carry on.

So on top of being a ref, he’s a glorified baby sitter. You’re still failing to explain why he needs to have off track relationships with the technical directors other than those trying to buy leverage with him?

They need to talk to him when they need to talk to him, not lecture him on how to do his job.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Haven’t you got more posters to call racists because they disagree with your opinion?

I mean, the fact you’re still a scout after last week is a joke in itself but please carry on.

So on top of being a ref, he’s a glorified baby sitter. You’re still failing to explain why he needs to have off track relationships with the technical directors other than those trying to buy leverage with him?
You've become hysterical, now that is funny. :lol: :lol:

I think @Jippy actually said it better than I could but now you've completely lost your marbles.

I'm going to help you out, the Race Director doesn't take the role of 'Ref', which you've now been told several times, I think you are looking for those guys known as Race Stewards who most take that role. If we were to compare the Race Director's role to anyone else it would most be like the Ringmaster of the circus, the guy who runs the show. He meets with Drivers, he meets with Team Principles before each race, he'll inform them of what they may need to know about the weekend, the race, the track and maybe special rules. He'll meet throughout the season with Team Principles to take soundings and also get feedback, it's all been going on like that for years, very civilised. Sometimes you don't know these things, it's because maybe you lack experience.

As I said, there's no need to try and pretend you know everything when you know sweet feck all, people are happy to help if you ask, don't be too proud, there's always someone like yourself around.

mariachi-19

You've become hysterical, now that is funny. :lol: :lol:

I think @Jippy actually said it better than I could but now you've completely lost your marbles.

I'm going to help you out, the Race Director doesn't take the role of 'Ref', which you've now been told several times, I think you are looking for those guys known as Race Stewards who most take that role. If we were to compare the Race Director's role to anyone else it would most be like the Ringmaster of the circus, the guy who runs the show. He meets with Drivers, he meets with Team Principles before each race, he'll inform them of what they may need to know about the weekend, the race, the track and maybe special rules. He'll meet throughout the season with Team Principles to take soundings and also get feedback, it's all been going on like that for years, very civilised. Sometimes you don't know these things, it's because maybe you lack experience.

As I said, there's no need to try and pretend you know everything when you know sweet feck all, people are happy to help if you ask, don't be too proud, there's always someone like yourself around.
Typically Masi refers an incident to the stewards, who decide whether it is worthy of investigation, conduct that full investigation if necessary, deem whether an offence has been committed, and then confirm any penalty.”

Call it what ever the feck yon want, In other he’s the bloke with a var umpire in his ear but he doesn’t have to listen to them, or can make decisions on his own like he did in the final race of last season.

Again, and you’re entirely missing the point, team managers, should not be lecturing him or “having lunches” outside of Grand Prix weekends with the bloke that runs the show or has the power to make decisions that can impact on the outcome of the championship. He is the person with the final say in nearly every decision affecting the outcome of the race.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Typically Masi refers an incident to the stewards, who decide whether it is worthy of investigation, conduct that full investigation if necessary, deem whether an offence has been committed, and then confirm any penalty.”

Call it what ever the feck yon want, In other he’s the bloke with a var umpire in his ear but he doesn’t have to listen to them, or can make decisions on his own like he did in the final race of last season.

Again, and you’re entirely missing the point, team managers, should not be lecturing him or “having lunches” outside of Grand Prix weekends with the bloke that runs the show or has the power to make decisions that can impact on the outcome of the championship. He is the person with the final say in nearly every decision affecting the outcome of the race.
Well your last paragraph is your opinion, a rather vanilla and lacking in maturity one. All the best to you.