F1 2022 Season

mitChley

Unbelievable how far ahead the Ferrari is to the rest. They really have aced it this year.
They seem to have nailed the car and the engine. Early days but I can't see anyone else winning the championships. HAAS looking excellent, fingers crossed it carries over to Quali and the race, would be nice for MSC to get a hawl of points.

pauldyson1uk

timing are a bit off with the wet I would say, Lewis only ran on full wets.
HAAS and Ferrari made the most of the conditions.
Qualifying should be interesting if it stays wet, teams will have to push more, could be a red flag or 2.
Were Mercedes this far ahead , I am not sure to be honest.
They certainly won races by huge margins, would have to do some research on it.

hobbers

Were Mercedes this far ahead during their domination?
No they were further ahead.

Even last season, which was obviously far from their most dominant, they were 1 second a lap faster than the Ferrari on average across the season. The Ferrari so far has had about 1 second per lap in race pace over the Mercedes this season.

Though qualifying in the first wet conditions of the new era will probably favor Ferrari really heavily given how well balanced their car is and how much more confident they can be with it. If Lewis was struggling to get the car around Jeddah in qualifying you can only imagine how horrible it'll feel in wet conditions.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
timing are a bit off with the wet I would say, Lewis only ran on full wets.
HAAS and Ferrari made the most of the conditions.
Qualifying should be interesting if it stays wet, teams will have to push more, could be a red flag or 2.
Were Mercedes this far ahead , I am not sure to be honest.
They certainly won races by huge margins, would have to do some research on it.
Did you watch FP1? everybody was pushing hard, that is pure Copium.

Hamilton was struggling all session and couldn't get heat into the tyres. If it remains that wet and cold they'll struggle for top 10 again.

pauldyson1uk

Did you watch FP1? everybody was pushing hard, that is pure Copium.

Hamilton was struggling all session and couldn't get heat into the tyres. If it remains that wet and cold they'll struggle for top 10 again.
watched about half of it, in work.
Saw Lewis struggling , thought it was just because he was still on wets and the rest on inters.
I had Sky on, the impression I got from their commentary was teams were not pushing too hard, happy to be corrected.

Dan_F

No they were further ahead.

Even last season, which was obviously far from their most dominant, they were 1 second a lap faster than the Ferrari on average across the season. The Ferrari so far has had about 1 second per lap in race pace over the Mercedes this season.

Though qualifying in the first wet conditions of the new era will probably favor Ferrari really heavily given how well balanced their car is and how much more confident they can be with it. If Lewis was struggling to get the car around Jeddah in qualifying you can only imagine how horrible it'll feel in wet conditions.
Huh? In what world were Mercedes 1 second ahead of anyone else last year :lol: The poster didn’t ask for the gap to Ferrari.

hobbers

Huh? In what world were Mercedes 1 second ahead of anyone else last year :lol: The poster didn’t ask for the gap to Ferrari.
In this world...? Don't know what you're struggling with.

I gave their average gap to Ferrari last season since we're talking about Ferrari. Showing why 1 second a lap advantage over the third fastest team isn't anything new.

Ahmer Baig

One weekend we’ll get a weekend without latifi going off the track or into a wall. :D:D

dinostar77

Huge gamble by RB putting new exhaust system on both RBs with only one FP of running for any track testing.

pauldyson1uk

Mercedes appears to be nowhere near solving the chronic porpoising issues impacting its W13, with the bouncing phenomenon so severe in FP1 at Imola that it led to a floor stay rupture on George Russell's car.

Russell concluded Friday's single practice session which took place on a wet track P10, a massive 4.860s off the pace from the leading Ferrari of Charles Leclerc, while teammate Lewis Hamilton was a lowly P17.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said that porpoising issues coupled with tyre warm-up problems undermined the reigning world champion team's practice session at Imola.

"We had George bouncing so much that he actually broke the stay on the floor," Wolff revealed. "You can’t drive – you have to lift on the straight.

"They are trained – I have never experienced bouncing like this in my life. But it’s clearly not drivable."

Mercedes as been working hard to try and mitigate its bouncing complications, but so far with very little success.

While the Brackley squad isn't the only team suffering from the ground effect issue, it hasn't succeeded in reducing its troubles without compromising its car's performance.

Ferrari on the other hand has been able to live with its porpoising predicament as it hasn't hindered the overall performance of its F1-75 car.

"Their porpoising looks a little bit different to ours," Wolff said. "Our frequency looks higher and the main difference is that when they hit the brakes, their car stabilizes – ours not."

Wolff suggested that the massive pace deficit in FP1 between Mercedes and Ferrari was rooted in tyre temperatures in the precarious track conditions and therefore grip.

"The Ferraris seemed to unlock that, everybody else is pretty much all over the place," commented the Austrian.

"Feedback that we are getting from Lewis and George is that there’s literally zero grip and that these gaps point to the tyres.

"When you are able to unlock that issue, you will do a jump and where that will end, I don’t know.

"I think there will be quite some discrepancies in performance and you could see a team [really behind in qualifying later on Friday].

"We were five seconds off the pace – it’s not the car and not the driver."

Jack-C20

Anyone else’s commentator’s audio slightly ahead of the video? Might be normal and I’ve only just noticed it but it’s bugging me now.

hp88

Merc aren’t making it into Q3, look terrible here, might as well save the engine.

mitChley

AT have been really poor so far this season. Hamilton and Merc maybe slightly lucky Albons brakes caused him to miss qualifying.

pauldyson1uk

Hamilton and Russell scrape through Q1, AlphaTauris out
Woah, that was close for the Mercedes!
Both Mercedes were in the drop zone before small improvements in the dying embers of Q1. Russell finishes 12th, and Hamilton in 15th!
Hamilton through to Q2 by 0.004s ahead of Yuki Tsunoda, with both AlphaTauris surprisingly eliminated. 17th is a big surprise for Pierre Gasly.