F1 2022 Season

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
So any forecast on when the moaning about last year will end? :nervous:
Why should it go away? It was a disgraceful and utterly farcical decision by masi that cost someone a championship. It should be brought up often and I hope it does.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why should it go away? It was a disgraceful and utterly farcical decision by masi that cost someone a championship. It should be brought up often and I hope it does.
Because it would be cool to discuss the new season and yes it was a dumb decision and I get Hamilton and his fans are mad, but meh, it's not like Verstappen is completely undeserving anyway. Even if it made his fans in my country even more annoying.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Because it would be cool to discuss the new season and yes it was a dumb decision and I get Hamilton and his fans are mad, but meh, it's not like Verstappen is completely undeserving anyway. Even if it made his fans in my country even more annoying.
I agree with the principle of, it’s in the past so it’d be nice if the discussion topic was something else. But the key thing you’re missing is that this isn’t just about Hamilton fans and Max fans. It’s about the idea of sport being manipulated because the spectacle and viewership becomes more important. So stopping talking about it is one thing, but to forget about it is another. Because then it will happen again. I don’t think you quite appreciate this wasn’t just some bad decision which was uncertain or a judgement. It was something that questions the integrity of sport and the core principles of sport. It cannot be that decisions are made for the spectacle and not for the rules - certainly when they are as colossal as this was. The glitz before and after the race - go all out to draw as many fans as you like with whatever crazy things you want to do. But the sport itself simply can’t be manipulated for the spectacle. The sums of money and sponsors and fans and team members who are impacted by these decisions is significant. What happens to the staff in the factory who might have a performance linked bonus (I.e win the championship, get a bonus), as an example? The downstream impact of these things is huge. Just imagine you fought so hard for something, only for the rules to be changed for it to be taken from you. I’m not sure how easily you’d let it go.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I agree with the principle of, it’s in the past so it’d be nice if the discussion topic was something else. But the key thing you’re missing is that this isn’t just about Hamilton fans and Max fans. It’s about the idea of sport being manipulated because the spectacle and viewership becomes more important. So stopping talking about it is one thing, but to forget about it is another. Because then it will happen again. I don’t think you quite appreciate this wasn’t just some bad decision which was uncertain or a judgement. It was something that questions the integrity of sport and the core principles of sport. It cannot be that decisions are made for the spectacle and not for the rules - certainly when they are as colossal as this was. The glitz before and after the race - go all out to draw as many fans as you like with whatever crazy things you want to do. But the sport itself simply can’t be manipulated for the spectacle. The sums of money and sponsors and fans and team members who are impacted by these decisions is significant. What happens to the staff in the factory who might have a performance linked bonus (I.e win the championship, get a bonus), as an example? The downstream impact of these things is huge. Just imagine you fought so hard for something, only for the rules to be changed for it to be taken from you. I’m not sure how easily you’d let it go.
yep. any one not really annoyed by it or wants to forget it or playing this off as hamilton v verstappen it is either not watching f1 as a sport or works for the fia. that’s fine. there is enough of a circus around f1 to watch it and enjoy it as an entertainment show. i don’t have a particular dog in the fight though i will openly admit i’ll root for a british team or driver over a forener but that’s only because we are so much better than every other nation.

i would have been equally annoyed if it happened the other way around and it meant hamilton won it and not verstappen. verstappen can still be a worthy champion and hamilton can still be robbed. they’re not mutually exclusive. forgetting about it is exactly what the fia want. no way masi went off piste and did what he did last year by himself. if so the fia would have hung him out to dry. he’ll have taken a huge pay off to go quietly into the night and they’ll find him a cushy number behind the scenes to keep him sweet.

that is enough for me to not forget it and having some fancy new cars waved in my face with someone going “ooooh look at this and don’t look over there,” is exactly the kind of shit that angers me from politics, to work, to sport.

Fluctuation0161

Unless Hamilton wins it this year. Then surely no one will care anymore?
That would be some kind of justice. But 2021 will go down in history as one of the dodgiest titles in F1.

But you seem to want to blame the fans who are calling out last year for the farce it was. You should be more annoyed with F1 and the FIA for allowing it to happen.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Maybe the discussion on last season should stay in the old thread

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
yep. any one not really annoyed by it or wants to forget it or playing this off as hamilton v verstappen it is either not watching f1 as a sport or works for the fia. that’s fine. there is enough of a circus around f1 to watch it and enjoy it as an entertainment show. i don’t have a particular dog in the fight though i will openly admit i’ll root for a british team or driver over a forener but that’s only because we are so much better than every other nation.

i would have been equally annoyed if it happened the other way around and it meant hamilton won it and not verstappen. verstappen can still be a worthy champion and hamilton can still be robbed. they’re not mutually exclusive. forgetting about it is exactly what the fia want. no way masi went off piste and did what he did last year by himself. if so the fia would have hung him out to dry. he’ll have taken a huge pay off to go quietly into the night and they’ll find him a cushy number behind the scenes to keep him sweet.

that is enough for me to not forget it and having some fancy new cars waved in my face with someone going “ooooh look at this and don’t look over there,” is exactly the kind of shit that angers me from politics, to work, to sport.
Now that you mention it, I actually do watch it mostly for the spectacle. Though even I can appreciatie how ridiculously unfair the last race was. It was amazing tv though.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Just reading a thread about these 2 new race directors. Apparently both involved in dodgy title deciders. One was FIAWEC where he asked Ferrari to give back place to Porsche with 10 laps to go. Porsche then pitted and Ferrari never gave back position. Bizarre!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It should not and for the sake of the sport, it can not be forgotten about.
And your point is probably echoed by anyone and everyone who is passionate about motor racing.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Bit of a noob question perhaps, but I was talking to one of my F1 enthousiast mates about the typical tiresome question, why don't they all have the same car and he said he sees F1 as an engineering championship first and a racing championship 2nd. Do people agree with that? And do you support a team first and the drivers second (like in football)? Or is it driver first and team second?

I actually don't really support any team in particular, but I would think supporting a driver is more fun than a team?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Bit of a noob question perhaps, but I was talking to one of my F1 enthousiast mates about the typical tiresome question, why don't they all have the same car and he said he sees F1 as an engineering championship first and a racing championship 2nd. Do people agree with that? And do you support a team first and the drivers second (like in football)? Or is it driver first and team second?

I actually don't really support any team in particular, but I would think supporting a driver is more fun than a team?
Varies but it is definitely an engineering competition.

I've always argued for a two-race weekend, the main event in the constructor cars, then a sprint in spec cars. The later having no points for the constructors championship.

ChaddyP

It definitely is and it's what I love the most about it. It's an arms race with closely guarded secrets and amazing technology that usually ends up in the consumer market.

I personally love the engineering aspects of it and how different teams solve a problem with the rules given. Having a spec race would ruin that

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

There's plenty of spec formula racing out there if that's what you prefer.

F1 has always been about who can design the best cars, finding loopholes in the rules and seeing it if works on track.

Obviously the best drivers usually gravitate to the best cars, it's never really been equal.

Lots of people have a favourite team and then favourite drivers IMO. I'm a Mclaren fan first, but then I support the british drivers. I really like Vettel too more for his personality and what he does outside of the track.

The Hilton

Mercedes looks better than I expected, but I wish they stuck with the black of recent years, the silver just doesn't look as good.

The side profile looks nice, but needs some more black when viewing from the front.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
There's plenty of spec formula racing out there if that's what you prefer.

F1 has always been about who can design the best cars, finding loopholes in the rules and seeing it if works on track.

Obviously the best drivers usually gravitate to the best cars, it's never really been equal.

Lots of people have a favourite team and then favourite drivers IMO. I'm a Mclaren fan first, but then I support the british drivers. I really like Vettel too more for his personality and what he does outside of the track.
Yeah I don't mind the cars are different, but it's also a bit of a mindset thing. I didn't really understand the point before I learned to see it has being about technology as much as it is about the dudes racing.

slyadams

I dunno about that. Given the agreement with the teams about not ending under SC and the pressure Toto and Horner were putting him under, I think anyone would have buckled some way or the other in Masi's position.

Maybe less controversially in terms of red flagging and restarting the race, or maybe even been more efficient/wreckless and got the incident cleared in time to pass all the lapped cars.
Keep hearing about this "agreement with the teams about not ending under SC", could you publish what the teams agreed? It gets thrown around without any actual details. I'm sure no-one said "in the event of a SC we all agree to throw out the rules". If you don't have details, you're speculating.

slyadams

Actually, as well as Max raced at times there is an argument that his poor racing standards in general already put his position under scrutiny and I find that position hard to argue with. The farce of Spa (not his fault in fairness), brake checking in Saudi and a general approach to racing verging on wreckless already left a sour taste in the mouth of many fans. Abu Dhabi was just a final nail in the coffin. I don't mind saying it: I don't think Max is a deserving champion.

The Firestarter

Actually, as well as Max raced at times there is an argument that his poor racing standards in general already put his position under scrutiny and I find that position hard to argue with. The farce of Spa (not his fault in fairness), brake checking in Saudi and a general approach to racing verging on wreckless already left a sour taste in the mouth of many fans. Abu Dhabi was just a final nail in the coffin. I don't mind saying it: I don't think Max is a deserving champion.
If Spa is not his fault why mention it in support of your "argument" then :lol:
I presume you have no issue with Lewises' multiple antics against Albon for example and those do not put a dent on his deservedness of a WC?

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Assuming RBR, Merc and Ferrari are similar to each other this year, it's going to be fascinating to see how the drivers handle Max early on in the season. Will they let him divebomb into corners and take their position or will they start closing the door to put him in his place? Or perhaps they'll start trying comparable moves? If the stewards don't start cracking down it's going to be another rough season.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Keep hearing about this "agreement with the teams about not ending under SC", could you publish what the teams agreed? It gets thrown around without any actual details. I'm sure no-one said "in the event of a SC we all agree to throw out the rules". If you don't have details, you're speculating.
There's no such agreement, he's talking out of his ass as usual.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Assuming RBR, Merc and Ferrari are similar to each other this year, it's going to be fascinating to see how the drivers handle Max early on in the season. Will they let him divebomb into corners and take their position or will they start closing the door to put him in his place? Or perhaps they'll start trying comparable moves? If the stewards don't start cracking down it's going to be another rough season.
They'll put on a show of being stricter for a few races before forgetting anything happened until someone gets hurt. That's the FIA way of doing things.

Fluctuation0161

Agreed. Under a competent race director Max woukdnt have got away with half of his shit last season. The weaving, Running other drivers off the track when being overtaken etc. But the brake check was the final straw.

Last edited: