F1 2022 Season

dinostar77

I wouldn't be suprised if there was a suprise contender this season. There has been so much rework under the skin of all these cars.

One of the Mercedes technical people, mentioned that they had to create brand new suspension package (not a easy ask), redo the entire wiring package and so on.

Someone maybe outside of the top three may have a idea like the braun diffuser and gate crash the party.

Normally preseason testing doesnt really interest me as there is alot of sandbagging. But i wonder if it will be different this year as you need to get an idea if your car is competitive. The GPS overlays will give you a good idea of your competition, but at some point you need to go for a 90% all out lap to get an idea of where you stand, or maybe not.

dinostar77

Looks even better in the video. I know it may mot be totally representative of the actual car, but that looks very very fast.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Bit of a noob question perhaps, but I was talking to one of my F1 enthousiast mates about the typical tiresome question, why don't they all have the same car and he said he sees F1 as an engineering championship first and a racing championship 2nd. Do people agree with that? And do you support a team first and the drivers second (like in football)? Or is it driver first and team second?

I actually don't really support any team in particular, but I would think supporting a driver is more fun than a team?
Yeah, the engineering part is really important. That and the driver mutually reinforce each other though: a mediocre driver doesn't just stunble into the best car and win everything. The best teams have the the most money to build the best car, can contract the best driver (they're all the global top, but the best have just that bit more consistency, driving skills, and understanding of the car), who can then win - and you're back at the top with the money (which is also dependent on sponsors of course). That's why Mercedes managed to dominate for so long, and it took Red Bull an exceptional talent (Verstappen), a change in regulations, and a good bit of luck (that final race especially) to unseat them last year - and why this year is particularly interesting.

Fluctuation0161

Pretty much this. Its classic diversion tactics from the same lot.

The report on Abu Dhabi literally came out this week, which as a result has shaken up the management of races, resulted in the race director losing his job, made changes to rules as a direct consequence to the abu dhabi incident..

So the weird thing would be if nobody was discussing it.
Yep. It would be a weird F1 fan who doesn't want to discuss the major events of this week.

Fluctuation0161

Yeah, the engineering part is really important. That and the driver mutually reinforce each other though: a mediocre driver doesn't just stunble into the best car and win everything. The best teams have the the most money to build the best car, can contract the best driver (they're all the global top, but the best have just that bit more consistency, driving skills, and understanding of the car), who can then win - and you're back at the top with the money (which is also dependent on sponsors of course). That's why Mercedes managed to dominate for so long, and it took Red Bull an exceptional talent (Verstappen), a change in regulations, and a good bit of luck (that final race especially) to unseat them last year - and why this year is particularly interesting.
The best drivers also give the best feedback and actually contribute more to technical development of the car with their engineers.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Interesting that Ferrari are the only ones who have gone for the fat inlets and using the body as the air guide.

Either they've made an innovation nobody else thought of, or they've gone the wrong way.

This is what's so great about f1 isn't it. Exciting, not knowing who's going to be hitting the ground from the start etc.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Interesting that Ferrari are the only ones who have gone for the fat inlets and using the body as the air guide.

Either they've made an innovation nobody else thought of, or they've gone the wrong way.

This is what's so great about f1 isn't it. Exciting, not knowing who's going to be hitting the ground from the start etc.
Yeah I suspect they've gone old school but not sure it will work. Looks like an 80s beaut though and the rear wing looks sexy.

The Williams pods looked good to me but I have a feeling that the Merc front wing (beautiful btw!) and funky floorboard there is going to do something mad and get double the downforce or something.

Will be an interesting season like you say.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
See, I would be even more interested if they reverse this and put Max and Lewis in Haas and Mazepin and Schumacher in a Merc.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah I suspect they've gone old school but not sure it will work. Looks like an 80s beaut though and the rear wing looks sexy.

The Williams pods looked good to me but I have a feeling that the Merc front wing (beautiful btw!) and funky floorboard there is going to do something mad and get double the downforce or something.

Definitely going to be interesting.
We may even see something similar to the Brawn early season lead. But you can be absolutely sure that each of the teams will be scrutinising the opposition to see who had exploited the regulations the best and trying to replicate the best designs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

definitely, the ferrari is absolutely gorgeous. the sidepods are certainly unique.

it seems maybe ferrari are prioritising using the body to channel the air and create the downforce, where as other teams like merc are purely concentrating around the floor.

The Aston is probably the 1 stand out, they’ve gone the complete opposite way to the other merc engined teams.

Mclaren using a different style suspension setup to anybody else so far.

I just can’t wait for it to all kick off.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The best drivers also give the best feedback and actually contribute more to technical development of the car with their engineers.
Sorry, yes, that was what I was trying to get at with 'understanding of the car'; but I phrased it poorly. :)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
See, I would be even more interested if they reverse this and put Max and Lewis in Haas and Mazepin and Schumacher in a Merc.
To some extent, me too! But that's not how any sport works of course. I mean, top clubs in football also tend to have the best backroom staff (except United, it seems ;) ).

Oh, for the fan of teams vs. racers point: I get the impression that only Ferrari have a significant number of team fans. I think most others support individual racers, and my impression is that that's usually quite opportunistic as well (not really diehard fans) - but I might be mistaken about the latter.

Balljy

Wonder if Audi or Porsche would supply the engines to a andretti team. Alledgly RedBull/Porsche tie up is close and Audi still want Mclaren.
I might have missed something, but wouldn't Audi & Porsche mean VW investing twice in F1? I'm not sure why they'd want to do that.

Balljy

To increase sales of cars under both brands.
The cost is prohibitive enough for most manufacturers with one brand though. It has to make commercial sense so we'll see, but I'm extremely doubtful unless they do something where the engines are shared but two brands.

Last edited:

F-Red

The cost is prohibitive enough for most manufacturers with one brand though. It has to make commercial sense so we'll see, but I'm extremely doubtful unless they do something where the engines are shared but two brands,
Well this is their point about condition of entry in 2026, in that the changes to the engine specification makes it much more accessible commercially for them to enter multiple brands. Either as an engine supplier or as a works team.

Audi is the dead cert, Porsche will be on a prestige vote internally. Both have motorsport heritage, and the efuel movement is a strategical goal for Porsche. A similar strategy mooted by F1 in the future. Plus also the fact that the Porsche family have the majority vote share in the VW group means it’s likely we’ll see them feature over the VW brand.

Balljy

Well this is their point about condition of entry in 2026, in that the changes to the engine specification makes it much more accessible commercially for them to enter multiple brands. Either as an engine supplier or as a works team.

Audi is the dead cert, Porsche will be on a prestige vote internally. Both have motorsport heritage, and the efuel movement is a strategical goal for Porsche. A similar strategy mooted by F1 in the future. Plus also the fact that the Porsche family have the majority vote share in the VW group means it’s likely we’ll see them feature over the VW brand.
It seems if it does happen that it'll be a shared powertrain which makes sense. I'm sure each manufacturer will have some leeway though.

Audi and Porsche set to join F1 in 2026, powering McLaren and Red Bull | CAR Magazine

IWat

Really struggling with enthusiasm for this season which I'm surprised about. Just seems unfortunate to re-invent the rules just as the sport gets competitive again. I fear that one team will have nailed the rules and we'll have another 5 years of watching everyone try to catch up.

Do you reckon it's as important as it used to be? With all the sensors on the cars, I'd be surprised if a driver can tell the engineering team much they aren't already aware of from the data.

Last edited:

ChaddyP

Do you reckon it's important as it used to be? With all the sensors on the cars, I'd be surprised if a driver can tell the engineering team much they aren't already aware of from the data.
I personally think it's still super important that a driver have the ability to give feedback and help the engineering team as at the end of the day the driver is the one that knows where the balance needs to be to go around the track the fastest. I think Vetell has given Aston Martin an eye opener, I also think Williams will miss George Russell and his input

F-Red

Really struggling with enthusiasm for this season which I'm surprised about. Just seems unfortunate to re-invent the rules just as the sport gets competitive again. I fear that one team will have nailed the rules and we'll have another 5 years of watching everyone try to catch up.
It was only competitive last season as effectively we had two years of similar regulations, plus Mercedes running the 2020 car for 2021.

I’m pretty sure that we’ll be seeing closer racing this season, if they’re making noises about DRS being taken away after a few races then they must be confident that the cars will have no problem following each other. That has been the perennial challenge for F1 over the past 15-20 years.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I personally think it's still super important that a driver have the ability to give feedback and help the engineering team as at the end of the day the driver is the one that knows where the balance needs to be to go around the track the fastest. I think Vetell has given Aston Martin an eye opener, I also think Williams will miss George Russell and his input
I imagine there's also an aspect where the car can be tuned for the peculiarities of a racer's personal driving style, to optimize performance. I'd think a racer's input would be important here.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Do you reckon it's as important as it used to be? With all the sensors on the cars, I'd be surprised if a driver can tell the engineering team much they aren't already aware of from the data.
All the data in the world would amount to nothing if a driver doesn't give his input on how it feels when they're racing.

You can have the best car, but if your driver doesn't manage to bring out it's full potential, you're just wasting development money.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
All the data in the world would amount to nothing if a driver doesn't give his input on how it feels when they're racing.

You can have the best car, but if your driver doesn't manage to bring out it's full potential, you're just wasting development money.
i don’t think the drivers give much feedback. i get exclusive access to the onboard radio feeds. hamilton spends most of his laps trying to get a rap career off the ground. it’s not uncommon to hear bleep bleep “yo bono, check this. driving fast in my car, bitches love the car, ain’t room for two in my car, show me your bra.” “thoughts, bono?” whilst verstappen just listens to hitler rallies.

F-Red

All those talking about great drivers giving great feedback have never seen or heard Mansell :lol:

Krits

Love all the Ferrari pictures. To my (slightly biased) eyes, it’s the best looking car on the grid. They’ve also taken the biggest risk, hasn’t always worked for them in the past though.
Please be fast!