F1 2022 Season

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
It really does. Would love to see the data that drove the design.
the fia were worried about another decade of merc dominance under the new rule set, so they specified elements of the cars had to be designed by school children. the other winning concept included two glass domes for secondary and tertiary drivers and an
onboard sodastream. so mercedes chose this one instead.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Well done Mercedes for giving us an onboard so much for everything being kept a secret until the start of the season. They are showing their confidence with this and the engine start up. You can even see their dodgy flexi rear wing.

Edit oh sorry reading through it has been posted, I didn’t see it as it makes you go to YouTube.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.

Some more leaks... Looks like redbull went pull rod at the front
Yes bit strange now considering everyone else has revealed an early spec car. I believe Alpha Tauri will use their gearbox and engine so there must be some similarities at the backend given how similar the teams are.

Really interested to see what Newey comes up with. The Ferrari looks amazing but Merc really have tight packaging and a new engine - I think they will be at the top again.

dinostar77

Going to be interesting if mclaren have epically ballsed up their car already. Correct me if im wrong people, but they are the only team who have gone for a pull rod system at the front and push rod at the rear. Everyone else so far has done the opposite.

hobbers

Going to be interesting if mclaren have epically ballsed up their car already. Correct me if im wrong people, but they are the only team who have gone for a pull rod system at the front and push rod at the rear. Everyone else so far has done the opposite.
Red Bull have gone for pull rod at the front as well.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I think RBR did also?
edit: never mind

dinostar77

Red Bull have gone for pull rod at the front as well.
Thanks for confirming that. So if mclaren and red bull have got it right and everyone else has got it wrong...thats not a simple fix. Thats you stuck for the season or at least half of it with the wrong suspension setup.

dinostar77

So far have watched the Ferrari, Mercedes, Mclaren and Aston Martin aero analysis videos. Obviously real cars could still be quite different from what they have shown. However the Aston Martin is by far the most interesting and intriguing as they have a number of features which are definitely in the grey area of legality. All teams have something which they will have to argue with fia over its legality. Aston have more than most.

dinostar77

So are Red Bull the only team who haven't followed protocol and shown their actual car yet?
No-one has actually shown their car. Renders have bits that have been airbrushed out (as they are probably innovative) or fake bits put it to throw other team off the scent.

Videos of the dummy cars again probably have bits hidden and missing.

The first test is in 3 days time, we will see all the cars out on track, with all their bits and pieces for real.

pauldyson1uk

The FIA has confirmed that this year's F1 sporting regulations no longer feature the rule that required the top ten drivers in qualifying to start their race on their fastest Q2 tyre compound.

The rule had been present in Formula 1's sporting code since 2014 and was intended to instill some jeopardy into qualifying by encouraging some drivers to opt for a harder compound in Q2 in a bid to start their race potentially among the top ten with a different and better strategy.

However, over the years, the rule rarely led to strategy variation among F1's top teams.

Thus, the rule stating that "at the start of the race each car which qualified for Q3 must be fitted with the tyres with which the driver set his fastest time during Q2" has been abandoned.

From now on, all drivers making it into Q3 will have – like the remainder of the field – a free choice of rubber for the start of the race, as was the case last year during those F1 race weekends that featured a sprint qualifying trial.

I think I would prefer the rule kept in to be honest.

dinostar77

The FIA has confirmed that this year's F1 sporting regulations no longer feature the rule that required the top ten drivers in qualifying to start their race on their fastest Q2 tyre compound.

The rule had been present in Formula 1's sporting code since 2014 and was intended to instill some jeopardy into qualifying by encouraging some drivers to opt for a harder compound in Q2 in a bid to start their race potentially among the top ten with a different and better strategy.

However, over the years, the rule rarely led to strategy variation among F1's top teams.

Thus, the rule stating that "at the start of the race each car which qualified for Q3 must be fitted with the tyres with which the driver set his fastest time during Q2" has been abandoned.

From now on, all drivers making it into Q3 will have – like the remainder of the field – a free choice of rubber for the start of the race, as was the case last year during those F1 race weekends that featured a sprint qualifying trial.

Thats a bad decision. Surely the tyre you qualify on in q3 should be the tyre you start the race on as a minimum.

Swedish_Plumber

Would be really good to see Ferrari and McLaren bridge the gaps and compete. Think the sport needs it after the final race fiasco. Quite like Sainz and Norris too.

dinostar77

Is this really their livery? It is awful

edit: just googled, seems like a special livery.
Its a wierd thing that car manufacturers normally put on their cars when testing them so you cant ascertain all the various angle and lines etc. You see it occasionally in f1 before the start of the season but not often.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.

Mixed opinion but it was annoying when Mercedes (and sometimes the other teams) were so far ahead they could qualify on a harder tyre to start the race with during Q2. It was a disadvantage for those in 5-10 qualifying on a softer tyre whilst on race day the driver in 11th could pick the compound for the best race strategy.

The potential problem is if we still see 1 stop races or low degradation plus difficulty in overtaking, it will lead to the same strategy for everyone and a boring race. Hopefully the new rules and tyres will put a stop to that and make it so qualifying is about the fastest drivers in order.

dinostar77

I just wouldnt give the guys in q3 another tyre and just tell them that the tyre used in q3 is their race starting tyre.

That would add alot more strategy into the mix. Do you go for pole on softs on a track with high deg? Or do you sacrifice pole and maybe a position in top 5 on the grid for the GP, knowing you have the tyre with lower deg?

Also not giving them a spare tyre for q3, would mean they wouldnt be able to do as much qually sim running in FP2/FP3 and that would add more uncertainty into the mix.