F1 2022 Season

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

If in doubt, smash a hole in the floor.
The simple fact is that Red Bull aero people have designed a car and floor which maximises Bernoulli's Principle more effectively than the other teams.

Heaven knows what Mercedes has been doing. But they certainly appear to be going round in circles.
Lewis Hamilton is telling them that the car is much too stiff and unforgiving and he is struggling to be able to control it.
Driveability cannot be sacrificed in the chase for performance. They have to do both. But the likelihood is that it is what it is. An awful car.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
The simple fact is that Red Bull aero people have designed a car and floor which maximises Bernoulli's Principle more effectively than the other teams.

Heaven knows what Mercedes has been doing. But they certainly appear to be going round in circles.
Lewis Hamilton is telling them that the car is much too stiff and unforgiving and he is struggling to be able to control it.
Driveability cannot be sacrificed in the chase for performance. They have to do both. But the likelihood is that it is what it is. An awful car.
i heard that red bull is cheating and the reason they don’t porpoise is that the car runs in synthetic air and the rest of the teams have to run in normal air. the fia are trying to cover it up though.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
i heard that red bull is cheating and the reason they don’t porpoise is that the car runs in synthetic air and the rest of the teams have to run in normal air. the fia are trying to cover it up though.
I have no idea what that means.

dinostar77

Mercedes won’t be fixing that then, Allison interview is pretty grim.

Lewis probably should have walked away end of last year in hindsight, Mercedes can’t even work out what’s the issue so they have no hope of rectifying it for next year. Does Hamilton need to be racing around for 5th/6th for another season or two? Dude could go have fun in Indycar or something.
I think hamilton was one lap away from retirement last year. I think he would have retired if not for michael masi.

Mercedes will fix the car at some point this season. If they can get it into the ferrari window of some porposing but still being extremely quick then I'd think they'd accept that.

Maybe a controversial view, but i think the cost cap ceiling should be lifted for only those teams with porposing. As the season goes on RB will get further away from ferrari as ferrari need to try to fix their porposing while developing the car to compete with RB. They cant do both for long. We really need Ferrari to challenge RB to keep the season from becoming a snore fest.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I have no idea what that means.
the car runs in a pocket of triple air. it’s richer in oxygen and carries more gravity than normal air, allowing for faster times and more downforce.

laughtersassassin

Jesus people give Lewis way too much leeway here. He got more great cars than anyone even the best drivers is ever likely to get.

Merc giving him one third place car ain't that big a deal.

Also got to laugh at your mans Red Bull conspiracy. If that was a thing Merc and Ferrari would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Fact is Red Bull and Ferrari just built better cars. Same as Merc where doing for years.

dinostar77

BBC on next season:

"...For next season, the FIA told teams in the directive, which is not publicly available but which has been seen by BBC Sport: "The objective is to implement changes for 2023 which will inherently reduce the propensity of the cars to exhibit aerodynamic oscillations."

As part of this, they will assess technical changes, including "raising the floor edges, reduction of the floor planform, [elimination] of floor edge wing etc"....

dinostar77

the car runs in a pocket of triple air. it’s richer in oxygen and carries more gravity than normal air, allowing for faster times and more downforce.
Pretty sure rimaldo has just made this up as a laugh. As it makes absolutely no sense at all.

laughtersassassin

BBC on next season:

"...For next season, the FIA told teams in the directive, which is not publicly available but which has been seen by BBC Sport: "The objective is to implement changes for 2023 which will inherently reduce the propensity of the cars to exhibit aerodynamic oscillations."

As part of this, they will assess technical changes, including "raising the floor edges, reduction of the floor planform, [elimination] of floor edge wing etc"....
Hopefully any "Solution" they bring next season allows teams who build a better car to keep the pace they earned through their better car concept.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I think hamilton was one lap away from retirement last year. I think he would have retired if not for michael masi.

Mercedes will fix the car at some point this season. If they can get it into the ferrari window of some porposing but still being extremely quick then I'd think they'd accept that.

Maybe a controversial view, but i think the cost cap ceiling should be lifted for only those teams with porposing. As the season goes on RB will get further away from ferrari as ferrari need to try to fix their porposing while developing the car to compete with RB. They cant do both for long. We really need Ferrari to challenge RB to keep the season from becoming a snore fest.
That would be ridiculously unfair. It's up to Mercedes etc to catch up on porpoising issues at the detriment of other advances. That's F1. If RBR are light years ahead then regs will likely change to level the playing field. It's just a matter of when.

Horner's position on ride height change across all teams being unfair but raising the spending cap for all teams is essential because food prices have increased was... creative :lol:

Leg-End

Jesus people give Lewis way too much leeway here. He got more great cars than anyone even the best drivers is ever likely to get.

Merc giving him one third place car ain't that big a deal.

Also got to laugh at your mans Red Bull conspiracy. If that was a thing Merc and Ferrari would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Fact is Red Bull and Ferrari just built better cars. Same as Merc where doing for years.
Who's giving him leeway? He's 37 in a young mans sport, the point is does he need to keep racing in F1 if it's not at the front, he's got nothing left to prove. Schumacher's come back was largely pointless, Alonso hasn't achieved anything since end of 2014, Raikkonen arguably raced a bit longer than he should.

Hamilton could go try something else and enjoy himself for a few more years, the guy is miserable if he's not in race winning machinery, Merc would do well to turn this around for 2023 at this rate.

Leg-End

One could strongly argue that he was a big foundation to the success Mercedes has seen for the past 8 seasons or so.
Yes I have no doubt but for Schumacher himself the achievements weren't there.

gormless

One could strongly argue that he was a big foundation to the success Mercedes has seen for the past 8 seasons or so.
I think he played a huge part. Whilst we don't know what goes on behind the scenes 100% he's shown that he excels in helping build a team. He essentially did the same for Ferrari back in the late 90s which led to their all conquering early 00's

Dan

That would be ridiculously unfair. It's up to Mercedes etc to catch up on porpoising issues at the detriment of other advances. That's F1. If RBR are light years ahead then regs will likely change to level the playing field. It's just a matter of when.

Horner's position on ride height change across all teams being unfair but raising the spending cap for all teams is essential because food prices have increased was... creative :lol:
Glad that someone finally called him up on it.

The Firestarter

Did he say food prices or inflation in general?

laughtersassassin

He said inflation in general. Which he has a point that the cost cap probably should have been much more thought out to consider potential massive changes in the financial world.

The cost of transportation is supposed to have gone up by like 20+% in some cases.

He also made a good point that if this cost cap fails miserably there might never be another.

Both side of the argument does have some merit. I think it wasn't planned well at all but I am someone who hates rules changing mid season so that goes against changing the cost cap for me.

The issue is the punishments don't seem to be set either. So the teams don't even know what happens if they go over etc etc.

F1 needs to review it all and make a definitive plan by the mid season break. One way or another the teams need to know where they stand.

Also it's funny that only people always start to blame Red Bull for these thing. Supposedly there is atleast 50% support for cost cap to be reviewed.

Or like with the weight change earlier in the season. 9 teams wanted it but Red Bull got all the flack for it. That was a change I also disagreed with as Alfa earned their advantage being a he only team at the minimum.

Either way wether you think the cost cap should change or not it's certainly a discussion that needs to be had. Punishments for going over by X amounts should also have been very clear from before the start of season.

F1 is a fecking great sport but it is very poorly planned in a lot of ways. The rules are a mess for instance.

hobbers

He didn't mention anything about food prices as you'd expect.

But it's easier to deliberately misquote him and say food prices, rather than what he actually said which was the rising costs of energy, shipping, and parts. Which obviously teams have no control over. Unlike their car designs and ride heights and suspensions. Which they have complete control over.

The cost cap will end up changed for inflation because every team in the paddock except Haas, AM and one other want it increased. And even those that dont yet will feel differently by September when they've run out of money.

Ahmer Baig

From Jon Noble on twitter:

Mercedes has chosen to remove the second floor stay on its Formula 1 car, amid questions from rivals at the Canadian Grand Prix about whether or not the addition could be proteste d.

hobbers

Leclerc will start from the back, taking all the engine parts.

Smart to get them out the way especially with a wet qualifying coming up.

pauldyson1uk

Leclerc to start at back of grid!
Ferrari have just confirmed that Charles Leclerc has taken a completely new power unit, and will therefore start from the back of the grid in Sunday's race.
There had been a lot of speculation that Ferrari would take this decision, at a track that provides plenty of overtaking opportunities.
It's not great news for Leclerc's world championship hopes, but it promises to add a thrilling layer to Sunday's race for the fans!

United Hobbit

From what they were saying earlier sounds like Mick Schumacher has been given a warning to sort it out...

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Will be an interesting qualifying, that rain doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
Inters were doing well towards the end of FP3 but could be back to full wets by qualifying

Camilo

They've really made an arse of the new regulations. Ungainly, blunt and heavy cars. Massively compromised in concept, and even the most refined version of the cars in a few years will still be just a well polished turd.

And the racing is no closer and overtaking is still all DRS. What was the point in all that?!