F1 2022 Season

hobbers

That's good, so Merc will have to stop deliberately killing their drivers to keep ahead of Alpine.

dinostar77

Very curious how this impacts Ferrari. They seem to have significant porpoising but have speed. This could drop them a second back from RBR?
The "vertical oscillations" depend on whether they are high frequency or low frequency. I think both Mercedes and ferrari have the same oscillation frequency now just that Mercedes have a higher volume of said oscillations.

If Ferrari are negatively affected, it will the rest of the season very boring indeed.

hobbers

Horner will be doing cartwheels on hearing this, the FIA have all but handed RB and Max the season.
Unless Mercedes and Ferrari can sort out their bouncing.
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet.

What the FIA consider dangerous oscillations might be more like what Lewis had in Baku than what Leclerc has had.

It might just feck over Mercedes in bumpy tracks and street circuits.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Now you'll see how much of a shit box that Merc really is, also the season is over till somebody gets a floor like red bull
Possibly... also not beyond the realm of possibility that they tell 6 teams to raise the ride height and they all say nah we would rather not race

As I say I don't think this is the end of if... I guess it ends with active suspension next year?

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Horner will be doing cartwheels on hearing this, the FIA have all but handed RB and Max the season.
Unless Mercedes and Ferrari can sort out their bouncing.
Mercedes did that themselves. They've made a bad car. Hard to have much sympathy for them when they made such a great car for the last eight years, good to see someone else step up.

You have to hand it to Newey, looks like he and his design team nailed it this year

The Firestarter

Possibly... also not beyond the realm of possibility that they tell 6 teams to raise the ride height and they all say nah we would rather not race

As I say I don't think this is the end of if... I guess it ends with active suspension next year?
That's too big of a change for next year. If they ever decide in it it will be 2 years away. I still think it can't happen without significant expanding of budgets.

dinostar77

That's too big of a change for next year. If they ever decide in it it will be 2 years away. I still think it can't happen without significant expanding of budgets.
There are different types of active suspension, one could be implemented next season; real active suspensions, and adaptive or semi-active suspensions. The former is a more time consuming implementation than the latter.

Or they could go down the route of mass dampers as Renault implemented in 05 when their car was bouncing too much.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/banned-renault-mass-damper-tech/4788122/

dinostar77

Mercedes did that themselves. They've made a bad car. Hard to have much sympathy for them when they made such a great car for the last eight years, good to see someone else step up.

You have to hand it to Newey, looks like he and his design team nailed it this year
Mercedes haven't developed a "bar car", thats a poor understanding of whats going on. As Martin Brundle said its an excellent car, bar the bouncing. They are having a terrible season by their high standards and they are third in the constructors 26 points behind ferrari. Not last like Williams. Thats a bad car.

They only fixed the aerodynamics porposing a few races ago and then as James Allison said they discovered the non aerodyamic bouncing issue that the orginal porposing was hiding. They will fix it, (they ran a new floor design with packers most likely and a new rear suspension setup on hamiltons car at the last race). Ut may take a few more races but they will get there and then they can actually make a start on fine tuning the car for next season. Conceptually its a extremely fast car. We just need to see it unlocked. Hopefully that will be this season as its becoming a dull one horse procession at the moment.

pauldyson1uk

Mercedes haven't developed a "bar car", thats a poor understanding of whats going on. As Martin Brundle said its an excellent car, bar the bouncing. They are having a terrible season by their high standards and they are third in the constructors 26 points behind ferrari. Not last like Williams. Thats a bad car.

They only fixed the aerodynamics porposing a few races ago and then as James Allison said they discovered the non aerodyamic bouncing issue that the orginal porposing was hiding. They will fix it, (they ran a new floor design with packers most likely and a new rear suspension setup on hamiltons car at the last race). Ut may take a few more races but they will get there and then they can actually make a start on fine tuning the car for next season. Conceptually its a extremely fast car. We just need to see it unlocked. Hopefully that will be this season as its becoming a dull one horse procession at the moment.
From what others have said including Horner, The Merc is a fast car, the only problem is their bouncing and that could be because of the lack of wind tunnel time.
From what I have read also , the current win tunnels cant pick up the bouncing at speed.
I still hold out some hope that they can sort it out and get some race wins this season for Lewis and Russell and make it a good 3 way fight.

pauldyson1uk

what I find very strange , not so much on here but on Facebook and other sites, it that quite a few are happy for it to be a 2 way fight between Red Bull, just because its not Lewis or Mercedes.
I make no secret I am a Lewis fan, but I would much rather see 2 ,3 or 4 teams fighting it out.

The Firestarter

The bouncing is due to the core design of the car, I cant see how it can be called great car . Its a shitbox for their own expected standards. And yeah it is third fastest but that comes at a significant inconvenience and/or harm for the drivers. So it may be a good car but not when humans drive it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
what I find very strange , not so much on here but on Facebook and other sites, it that quite a few are happy for it to be a 2 way fight between Red Bull, just because its not Lewis or Mercedes.
I make no secret I am a Lewis fan, but I would much rather see 2 ,3 or 4 teams fighting it out.
With all due respect, Lewis is 30 points behind his teammate, I don't think with this years form he was ever in contention for a top. Except Russel, all drivers in the table ahead of him had 1, 2, or 3 DNFs so far, and he is still lots of points behind them(Russel is pretty close to top).

To compare, Sainz is around 30 points behind Leclerc, and there is a clear difference who is the better driver this year, which shows how big those 30 points are.

klsv

Reports that Ferrari will take a grid penalty for the new PU. Will know for sure tomorrow.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Good directive. Something needed to be done and this forces teams to fix the issue like some already have rather than run at low ride height without caring about their driver’s health.

I don’t see it impacting Ferrari too much, it’s been on and off whilst they supposedly can stop it by braking or lifting off plus their pace isn’t the issue compared to the strategy and engine reliability.

Keeping regs similar without more fancy suspension means next season teams will bunch up closer.

hobbers

Reports that Ferrari will take a grid penalty for the new PU. Will know for sure tomorrow.
Don't think they have much choice. Bad idea to run a brand new engine with an old repaired turbo unit. Recipe for the turbo to break down and damage the new engine.

NM

This season is over.. Mid-field is more exciting than previous years but that's about it. Red Bull are running away and Ferrari are imploding like it's 2017/2018..

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
If that directive slows down Ferrari, it basically kills the rest of the season. It will basically be Max just strolling to victory, and Perez plodding along to second as he knows he can't actually race against Max.

F-Red

Let's see how this impacts Ferrari. I hope for the sake of a competition this year that this change doesn't affect them and they manage to keep Red Bull honest up front.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
If that directive slows down Ferrari, it basically kills the rest of the season. It will basically be Max just strolling to victory, and Perez plodding along to second as he knows he can't actually race against Max.
Why not? I still haven't seen evidence they favoured Max so blatantly that Perez isn't allowed to race him. Max just has more racepace than Perez.

If it's just between Checo and Max, they should let them race. Would be extremely demotivating for Checo otherwise. We all know Max is faster, though...

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Why not? I still haven't seen evidence they favoured Max so blatantly that Perez isn't allowed to race him. Max just has more racepace than Perez.

If it's just between Checo and Max, they should let them race. Would be extremely demotivating for Checo otherwise. We all know Max is faster, though...
Perez was clearly told over the radio not to fight. It doesn't get much clearer than that. No surprise after that he just cruises to second place instead of pushing the car to the absolute limits

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Perez was clearly told over the radio not to fight. It doesn't get much clearer than that. No surprise after that he just cruises to second place instead of pushing the car to the absolute limits
Checo's tires were done.

dinostar77

With all due respect, Lewis is 30 points behind his teammate, I don't think with this years form he was ever in contention for a top. Except Russel, all drivers in the table ahead of him had 1, 2, or 3 DNFs so far, and he is still lots of points behind them(Russel is pretty close to top).

To compare, Sainz is around 30 points behind Leclerc, and there is a clear difference who is the better driver this year, which shows how big those 30 points are.
The difference is that lewis is doing all the experimental car work with Mercedes. He apparently didnt leave Baku circuit till 2am loval time last sunday. Thats with incredible back pain, he stayed on to analyse the data with the engineers. Mercedes are smart in using lewis for all of the experimental stuff on track and leaving george with the stable (for them) car as a reference benchmark. But all people see is the surface that george is scoring more points than lewis.

I for one am eager to see them get the bouncing fixed as i want to see proper shootouts between george and Lewis to see just how good and quick george is.

dinostar77

Mate you live in a parellel world :lol:. When a driver is told "no fighting" when in 1st position he definitely has no chance of a WDC.

dinostar77

Thanks for that post. Interesting. Still dont get why Mercedes havent cut away the end of the floor closest to the rear tyres as ferrari and redbull have both done. Ferrari copying RB by adding a "ice skate" to that section.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Mate you live in a parellel world :lol:. When a driver is told "no fighting" when in 1st position he definitely has no chance of a WDC.
Let's totally forget about race pace, tires etc. Max was gonna pass him either way, better to do it cleanly.