F1 2022 Season

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But LeClerc needs to drive 105% to beat Max, even when the car is working well. Max (and all the greats from years gone by including Hamilton) can manage a race and win at 95%.
I don't agree with that. We saw in Austria and Bahrain he had no trouble dispatching Max. Last week in France he couldn't get passed Leclerc with a similar paced car.

Leclerc is his own worst enemy. Championships are about consistency, without the silly mistakes and the few unlucky DNFs he'd be right at the top.

Max isn't some unbeatable mythical creature.

hobbers

I don't agree with that. We saw in Austria and Bahrain he had no trouble dispatching Max. Last week in France he couldn't get passed Leclerc with a similar paced car.

Leclerc is his own worst enemy. Championships are about consistency, without the silly mistakes and the few unlucky DNFs he'd be right at the top.

Max isn't some unbeatable mythical creature.
The fact he span out shows pretty clearly Leclerc was driving at 105% to keep Max behind, despite having the faster car.

For better or worse Leclerc's driving style relies on him being on or over the limit at all times.

Balljy

Nah, Leclerc is a special driver. He just needs to learn to calm down. Hamilton was the same at his age, they're over driving with the pressure they put themselves under.

The mistakes he makes are by trying to push 105% instead of settling for 95%.

The Ferrari is clearly a great car, but you don't beat Verstappen in qualifying this consistently if you aren't a top class driver.

Leclerc can more than match Verstappen when the cars are equal, we've seen that already. The big difference is handling the pressure right now. Whether Leclerc can get over that will be the big difference.
The pressure mentality is what sets drivers apart though, so him being able to get over that is quite a big difference and will be what decides were he goes in all time lists. I'm not saying he won't sort it out and we'll see.

From what we've seen he wouldn't currently keep the car on the track like Hamilton did to gain 18 seconds on Glock in the final lap to win the championship in 2007. It's not just pace, it's keeping it calm and making sure that you don't make mistakes under pressure.

Adam-Utd

The fact he span out shows pretty clearly Leclerc was driving at 105% to keep Max behind, despite having the faster car.

For better or worse Leclerc's driving style relies on him being on or over the limit at all times.
That's my point though, he's driving at that level because of his own pressure. He has accidents like this like in Monaco. He was already the pole sitter yet pushed it too hard again when he didn't need to.

He didn't crash through the pressure of Max behind him, he crashed as he tried to squeeze every last tenth out of his in lap.

The pressure mentality is what sets drivers apart though, so him being able to get over that is quite a big difference and will be what decides were he goes in all time lists. I'm not saying he won't sort it out and we'll see.

From what we've seen he wouldn't currently keep the car on the track like Hamilton did to gain 18 seconds on Glock in the final lap to win the championship in 2007. It's not just pace, it's keeping it calm and making sure that you don't make mistakes under pressure.
Agreed, as I said he's got all the talent but needs to fix this. You can't make mistakes (especially with a failing ferrari) and win a title.

avgp_1

Something about the Aston Martin rear wing changes this weekend, didn't quite catch it on commentary

Adam-Utd

Solid session from Mclaren there. Looking like they could be in the top 6 mix this weekend.

hobbers

McLarens upgrades have definitely worked so far.

AM's illegal wing also working well, unsurprisingly.

dinostar77

Something about the Aston Martin rear wing changes this weekend, didn't quite catch it on commentary
Its illegal. Has endplates on it. Not sure how they have gotten away with this. There must be a grey area somewhere.

Also see Haas are now the white ferrari.

hobbers

Lando competing with the top 2 for wins would be way more exciting than a Merc.

Very premature though, they'll probably feck it up somehow by Sunday.

Holy shet just realised they set those times on the hards. Must be running with low fuel or something.

Last edited:

hobbers

Mercedes predictably poor on a track with a poor surface.

Looks like nailed on rain for qualifying though so it's completely up in the air.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Totally agree.

I'd like to have faith in Leclerc but I don't see that killer instinct that gives him that extra edge against the likes of Hamilton, Alonso or even Max.
You should have seen him on old hard tyres on Silverstone against Hamilton then. Or overtaking Max three times in one race in Austria. That's just in two-three weeks period.

Fluctuation0161

You should have seen him on old hard tyres on Silverstone against Hamilton then. Or overtaking Max three times in one race in Austria. That's just in two-three weeks period.
The Max overtakes were partly due to the new rules and the track format. Its also only a couple of small time situations, not enough to claim he is a great.

I hope I'm wrong, he seems a nice guy, but I just don't see it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The Max overtakes were partly due to the new rules and the track format. Its also only a couple of small time situations, not enough to claim he is a great.

I hope I'm wrong, he seems a nice guy, but I just don't see it.
I must have missed the periods where Max overtook him or anyone else three times this season due to new rules and track format.

Balljy

It's legal, they got it approved by the FIA at every stage of it's development. It'll be interesting to see if any other teams look at similar designs.
I'm guessing it doesn't produce more turbulent air the way they've done it then? If it does and they've just found a grey area in the rules I'm sure it'll be closed pretty quickly

Zlaatan

Parody Account

If he was driving on the limit all the time his tire and fuel management would go to shit in every race. The drivers don't get to decide how hard they push during races, they have a plan in place at all times which very rarely calls for them to push as hard as they can and often target lap times on top of that. They can obviously paint outside the lines a bit when the situation calls for it but that wouldn't apply in a situation where your main rival is in an undercut position like we saw when he crashed last week. Maybe Leclerc was told to push in that situation because he was about to box within a lap or so, but he could just as well have been on a plan for a longer stint and simply fecked up anyway.

I personally think he's too hot headed in high pressure situations and hasn't learned how to handle it just yet. He's still very young, the main guy in the biggest team in the game and he's probably the driver with the most pressure to deliver so now when the season has started to slip through his fingers it's probably only gotten worse.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I'm not sure why Max is being elevated to God status in here and talked about as a mythical figure. Looking at the facts, Max and Lewis were dead even last year. During the final race he started on faster tyres, couldn't take the lead. His team mate did God's work to eliminate a gigantic gap for him to take the lead, only for him to lose it again, and then with much much much fresher tyres he was unable to retake the lead. They threw the kitchen sink at him and even then it still took Masi gate to sew it up. That doesn't downplay him, it just shows that he was at most equal to Lewis last year.

This year he hasn't done anything to elevate himself ahead of his peers, Lewis has a garbage car that he's still hitting consecutive podiums with but they're too far off the pace and Ferrari are actively sabotaging themselves week in week out, he has no competition this year. Even when Ferrari's car works perfectly it looks like the Red Bull is (with some exceptions) going to be 2nd best, until ol' reliable Ferrari either crash, have a breakdown or make the most mind boggling pit strategies ever and throw it away. We haven't seen Max do anything yet to show he's grown in his skill, the rest of his competitors just went backwards but there's almost a revisionist view of Max put forward by his supporters. If Mercedes were competitive and Ferrari weren't throwing spanners in their own works and Max was still comfortably beating them then sure you'd have to concede he was a tier above. As it happens, he won a championship that up until a decision that even Red Bull have admitted was a mistake, he was losing and he's had no competition since. He's performing the best this year out of all the drivers, that's absolutely for sure but there's a weird rush to make out he's become a driving God when there reason he's winning by so much is actually painfully obvious.

Last edited:

hobbers

I'm not sure why Max is being elevated to God status in here and talked about as a mythical figure. Looking at the facts, Max and Lewis were dead even last year. During the final race he started on faster tyres, couldn't take the lead. His team mate did God's work to eliminate a gigantic gap for him to take the lead, only for him to lose it again, and then with much much much fresher tyres he was unable to retake the lead. They threw the kitchen sink at him and even then it still took Masi gate to sew it up. That doesn't downplay him, it just shows that he was at most equal to Lewis last year.

This year he hasn't done anything to elevate himself ahead of his peers, Lewis has a garbage car that he's still hitting consecutive podiums with but they're too far off the pace and Ferrari are actively sabotaging themselves week in week out, he has no competition this year. Even when Ferrari's car works perfectly it looks like the Red Bull is (with some exceptions) going to be 2nd best, until ol' reliable Ferrari either crash, have a breakdown or make the most mind boggling pit strategies ever and throw it away. We haven't seen Max do anything yet to show he's grown in his skill, the rest of his competitors just went backwards but there's almost a revisionist view of Max put forward by his supporters. If Mercedes were competitive and Ferrari weren't throwing spanners in their own works and Max was still comfortably beating them then sure you'd have to concede he was a tier above. As it happens, he won a championship that up until a decision that even Red Bull have admitted was a mistake, he was losing and he's had no competition since. He's performing the best this year out of all the drivers, that's absolutely for sure but there's a weird rush to make out he's become a driving God when there reason he's winning by so much is actually painfully obvious.
From Brazil onwards the Merc was 0.8-1s per lap faster than the Red Bull in race trim. Much faster on high fuel and much kinder on the tyres, while Red Bull had no choice but to set the car up for qualy to try and get on pole and hope for the best. Max was fighting with both hands behind his back in those last 4 races. Fortunately a bit of karma came through at the end.

This season he's doing what he has to do to win the title. What more should he be doing? So far he's winning in a title fight against a rival and car that are orders of magnitude faster than any opponent Lewis has faced in the Merc, last season not withstanding.

Max will have more race wins and more titles than Lewis at the same age and that's not by accident.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
From Brazil onwards the Merc was 0.8-1s per lap faster than the Red Bull in race trim. Much faster on high fuel and much kinder on the tyres, while Red Bull had no choice but to set the car up for qualy to try and get on pole and hope for the best. Max was fighting with both hands behind his back in those last 4 races. Fortunately a bit of karma came through at the end.

This season he's doing what he has to do to win the title. What more should he be doing? So far he's winning in a title fight against a rival and car that are orders of magnitude faster than any opponent Lewis has faced in the Merc, last season not withstanding.

Max will have more race wins and more titles than Lewis at the same age and that's not by accident.
That’s a bold claim and by no means a formality. Lewis is the more talented driver.

dinostar77

:lol: wow what a delusional post. Its poster like these who warp their own reality.
#deluded

Note to self, add hobbers to ignore list.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Max is setting himself up nicely to be considered amongst the greats. But it’s farcical to suggest he’s some kind of GOAT. He’s not even close.

hp88

Anyone else think Max's career might be very similar to Vettel's ? Reckon they will win at least three titles together before parting ways, Max will be less of a dick and then just become another driver on the grid.

hobbers

:lol: wow what a delusional post. Its poster like these who warp their own reality.
#deluded

Note to self, add hobbers to ignore list.
Smiley, check. Can't handle a small dose of reality, check. Mentions putting someone on ignore but for some reason never actually does it or can't figure out how to, check.

Must be a Merc fan in the F1 thread.

pauldyson1uk

Anyone else think Max's career might be very similar to Vettel's ? Reckon they will win at least three titles together before parting ways, Max will be less of a dick and then just become another driver on the grid.
To get to Lewis, he at the very minimum needs 5.8 race wins for the next 13 years, easy some say and yes given his current car.
Is Max more dominant that Lewis was, yeah maybe he is, but can he sustain it.