F1 2022 Season

Fluctuation0161

I'm not saying the outcome is different. I'm just saying whilt I do believe they will feck this up I don't buy into the conspiracy theories.

Its also come to the point where if the FIA say "no cap was broken", I will believe the other team principals who will all be intimately familiar with how much things cost. You have them all saying they had to stop on the current cars over the summer and RB have brought update after update after update and no-one can figure out how they're affording it.

The reason I will choose to believe this is because of what I said before, the FIA are incompetent and will never reverse a world championship, even if they should. Let's say it turrned out RB had spent $7m over cap, I still think the FIA wouldn't reverse a championship, even though in that case it would be the only reasonable outcome. Lance Armtstrong didn't get to keep his titles, Juventus didn't get to keep their titles after calciopoli, Olympians regularly lose medals when they're caught doping. Anything short of disqualification would be a disgrace.
I think it is in F1's business interest, from a PR perspective, to cover up where possible any perceived cheating within the sport. I don't think that is a conspiracy, just self interest to avoid bad publicity leading to a drop in the amount of money being generated.

phelans shorts

They turned it into WWE when the ref (massi) hit Hamilton from behind with a chair and gave the belt to max
This really doesn’t make sense to be honest. If you were booking it like a wrestling show you’d want Hamilton to win the title last year, always good to have the upstart look to have it in the bag then only just fail before actually winning. It’s storytelling 101.

Masi made a simple mistake under tough circumstances. A safety car finish would have been awful, everyone knows the right call was a red flag but it took longer than he thought to clear up the mess from the crash and he panicked, it’s already cost him his job like.

goalscholes

This really doesn’t make sense to be honest. If you were booking it like a wrestling show you’d want Hamilton to win the title last year, always good to have the upstart look to have it in the bag then only just fail before actually winning. It’s storytelling 101.

Masi made a simple mistake under tough circumstances. A safety car finish would have been awful, everyone knows the right call was a red flag but it took longer than he thought to clear up the mess from the crash and he panicked, it’s already cost him his job like.
Disagree with the first paragraph. It is very bad for their brand for the same team to win every year.

Second should be obvious. It was a really hard decision under intense pressure, with lots of moving parts (taking longer than predicted to clear the track etc).

It also clearly shouldn’t have been allowed for the teams to communicate directly with him.

But he made the worst of all the calls available and was rightly sacked.

phelans shorts

Disagree with the first paragraph. It is very bad for their brand for the same team to win every year.

Second should be obvious. It was a really hard decision under intense pressure, with lots of moving parts (taking longer than predicted to clear the track etc).

It also clearly shouldn’t have been allowed for the teams to communicate directly with him.

But he made the worst of all the calls available and was rightly sacked.
The team won the championship anyway. If you want to build intrigue you want another year of “can Max get over the line?” as losing to Lewis does nothing to hurt his growing rep. I’m going into storytelling though which obviously isn’t what happened.

I have no issue with Masi going after getting such a major call very wrong, the idea that it was a fix or whatever we keep hearing is just A) very boring and B) totally unnecessary. He fecked up and got punished, why keep dragging his name through the mud when there was zero malice in what happened?

Also teams having a direct line to him was a joke. Nobody comes out of that looking good.

hobbers

I have no issue with Masi going after getting such a major call very wrong, the idea that it was a fix or whatever we keep hearing is just A) very boring and B) totally unnecessary. He fecked up and got punished, why keep dragging his name through the mud when there was zero malice in what happened?
Mercedes need to continually pump out rule breaking and conspiracy narratives, probably because they realise it's the only way to keep their fanbase engaged when they aren't winning.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Nothing like a bit of controversy in F1.

What's the view on this weekend? We haven't been in Japan for a while and Merc dominated that era.

Max has had some serious pace even last time out and could win the championship with a win plus fastest lap - it's probably the most likely outcome unless Ferrari have rediscovered some pace.

Leg-End

I still think Red Bull will be too strong for anyone here but it seems like a track Ferrari should go well at, Merc hit and miss everywhere.

I won't be getting up at 6am to find out though.

klsv

What's the view on this weekend? We haven't been in Japan for a while and Merc dominated that era.

Max has had some serious pace even last time out and could win the championship with a win plus fastest lap - it's probably the most likely outcome unless Ferrari have rediscovered some pace.
It will be like that one time City could have won the title against United but we beat them. They still won the title and United were still shit, but we managed to ruin their party for a moment.

Mercedes one-two coming up.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
They turned it into WWE when the ref (massi) hit Hamilton from behind with a chair and gave the belt to max
Yes, you said that already. It also has nothing to do with what I said about the budget cap issue.

NM

It's turning into WWE ... They will have to start calling it race entertainment soon

Probably won't happen but I'd like to see Ferrari and merc retire cars on lap 1 for the rest of the season as a protest

If (when) no meaningful action is taken its clearly going to taint last year this year and at least next year

That said with the Ferrari fuel thing and giving max the title it's seems to be the racing is secondary to giving a good narrative to drive to survive

Are the manufactures fully committed to 2026 if not they should withdraw and set up their own championship
Will never happen. F1 brand is too strong.. but I agree, I'm a Ferrari fan. Don't support any driver since Kimi retired. What Ferrari did with fuel was dodgy, last year was crazy and now this money thing... F1 ALWAYS had this stuff but it is now overshadowing the racing.

NM

i made peace with that after the debacle at the end of last year. it still can be fun to watch cars racing round but when the fundamental rules of any sport can be twisted as to generate an outcome, then sport loses its meaning. when the governing body is complicit in that then who knows what they’ll do in future.
Hard to watch live sports if you aren't invested in the outocme though. I think this may be my last season unless things change.

phelans shorts

Will never happen. F1 brand is too strong.. but I agree, I'm a Ferrari fan. Don't support any driver since Kimi retired. What Ferrari did with fuel was dodgy, last year was crazy and now this money thing... F1 ALWAYS had this stuff but it is now overshadowing the racing.
This just isn’t true. The majority of people watching simply do not care.

NM

Only if you live in a TeamLH twitter bubble.
Good job with an irrelevant comment as I'm a Ferrari fan and the last driver I supported completely was Kimi. Read the full comment.

This just isn’t true. The majority of people watching simply do not care.
Agree. It's for people like me (and a few on this forum) that have been watching for a long time and have had enough. Also too many BS street circuits and not real tracks.

hobbers

Good job with an irrelevant comment as I'm a Ferrari fan and the last driver I supported completely was Kimi. Read the full comment.
Doesnt matter who you support the point I'm making is that the conspiracy theories only thrive on twitter. Obviously the UK media do their best to help them along.

goalscholes

Agree. It's for people like me (and a few on this forum) that have been watching for a long time and have had enough. Also too many BS street circuits and not real tracks.
I'm not a Mercedes fan either.

I agree that I'm not a huge fan of the sport anymore. Cars got wider on thinner and more boring tracks with longer straights. Drivers are increasingly reliant on DRS, which is the most boring way to overtake. And when they ditched mid-race refuelling, they took away a really interesting tactical variable. Managing tyres/ engines is such a defensive and boring way to race.

Hopefully wind tunnel restrictions and budget caps will even out the playing field, but the latter needs to be enforced and any overspend significantly punished. Otherwise it makes a mockery of everything F1 is trying to do.

hobbers

Cars got wider on thinner and more boring tracks with longer straights. Drivers are increasingly reliant on DRS, which is the most boring way to overtake. And when they ditched mid-race refuelling, they took away a really interesting tactical variable. Managing tyres/ engines is such a defensive and boring way to race.
Agree with all of this.

Way bigger problems for F1 than silly conspiracy theories.

NM

Doesnt matter who you support the point I'm making is that the conspiracy theories only thrive on twitter. Obviously the UK media do their best to help them along.
I'm not based in the UK and have no idea what the UK media does. The "conspiracy theories" as you call them are being discussed in over 5 countries outside Europe by me and my friends... I'm not on twitter or instagram or any of that BS either, so you are continuing to make wrong assumptions. It's great for the sport, shit for us old fans.

NM

I agree that I'm not a huge fan of the sport anymore. Cars got wider on thinner and more boring tracks with longer straights. Drivers are increasingly reliant on DRS, which is the most boring way to overtake. And when they ditched mid-race refuelling, they took away a really interesting tactical variable. Managing tyres/ engines is such a defensive and boring way to race.

Hopefully wind tunnel restrictions and budget caps will even out the playing field, but the latter needs to be enforced and any overspend significantly punished. Otherwise it makes a mockery of everything F1 is trying to do.
Yup i agree with everything you are saying. Refueling the big one for me. Things like Schumacher's 4 stop in France or 3 stop in Hungary not possible due to it.

Also hate the BS DRS.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

It's Red Bull's race all day long for me. I actually think we'll see Max's biggest domination yet, with Perez in second.

They look so good (apart from the last race mistakes) on race pace that even Perez won the race quite comfortably and he was literally one of slowest drivers on the grid in the last 5-6 races.

phelans shorts

Refuelling going was when I went from watching every race to merely having an interest.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
DRS is fine on some tracks and during some parts of the track, but I hate it on extra long straights in which quicker car anyway has extra 20 km/h advantage and enough time to even get back into breaking position which is shite racing game level of entertainment.

I like it more when used during lower speeds like in some parts of the Red Bull Ring for exampld.

Fluctuation0161

There were quite a few "simple mistakes" throughout that season then. Almost all of them favoured Max and Red Bull. I'd say at best he was bias because of his relationships with Red Bull.

pauldyson1uk

F1 teams will enjoy an extra 30 minutes of track time after Friday's second practice session at Suzuka to test Pirelli's 2023-spec prototype tyres.

The extended session is part of Pirelli's 2023 development programme that has unfolded this year, during which Formula 1's exclusive tyre supplier has gathered the relevant data during testing and on race weekends to improve its product for next season.

"An innovation for this year is the fact that we will be testing some 2023 prototype tyres during an extended free practice session on Friday afternoon, as we finalise the specification for next year with the end of this season approaching," confirmed Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola.

Pirelli confirms extended FP2 at Suzuka to test 2023 tyres (f1i.com)

pauldyson1uk

2022 Japanese Grand Prix weekend weather forecast
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7 – FP1 AND FP2 WEATHER
Conditions
: Clouds and rain expected throughout the day, with FP1 and FP2 expected to be wet.
Maximum temperature expected: 17 Celsius
Minimum temperature expected: 15 Celsius
Chance of rain: 60%

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 8 – FP3 AND QUALIFYING WEATHER

Conditions
: Mostly sunny throughout the day with some high passing clouds.
Maximum temperature expected: 22 Celsius
Minimum temperature expected: 16 Celsius
Chance of rain: 0%

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 9 – RACE WEATHER
Conditions
: The race is expected to be dry but there is a chance of rain hitting towards the latter part of the afternoon.
Maximum temperature expected: 18 Celsius
Minimum temperature expected: 15 Celsius
Chance of rain: 40%

It's just the way Liberty want it. It's being positioned for a Netflix generation watching Drive To Survive, the traditional fans are not the desired market anymore.

There had been declining viewers for years so maybe it's what it needs.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

muller

He invented a rule ... thats not a mistake

muller

It wasn’t invented, it was partial enforcement of a regular rule in a high pressure situation that needed something to happen after a mistake had already been made 4 minutes or so previously.

Conspiracy theories really don’t hold any weight.
Oh yeah, bog standard partial rule being held up, happens all the time.

The delusion is real