F1 2022 Season

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

pauldyson1uk

I remember seeing lots of similar articles about Ferrari and their radical design a few years back. And it was a disaster :lol: I hope they nail it but I won’t believe it until I see it. God I would love Ferrari to be back at the top. And I like both Le Clerc and Sainz.
Would be good to see then with a title challenging car, both their drivers are excellent.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
36 old FFS he has a good few years left in him.
Kimi is 42 , Lewis will have the top car on the track ( maybe ), I see minimum 2 more seasons out of him.
Lots race into their late 30s/early 40s, but how many compete regularly for the title, let alone podiums?

I could see Lewis being the sort of racer to want to leave at a peak - although granted he is still comfortably the best driver for me on the circuit (Max will take over soon though).

telstar96

Does anyone have any bold predictions for the 2022 season?

Mine are that:
  1. Russell will shock people how good he is in comparison to Lewis and will run him close on points.
  2. Latifi will beat Albon on points.
  3. Ricciardo will beat Norris on points.
  4. Alonso will be a title contender (this is just wishful thinking).

vangagal

Mine are that:
  1. Russell will shock people how good he is in comparison to Lewis and will run him close on points.
Albon would beat Latifi on points. He is the better driver.

F-Red

Mine are that:
Carlos Sainz will be a title contender.

Jack-C20

I mentioned it last night in the other thread but everyone was still reacting to the WUMs so I got lost in the mess :( Anyone else looking forward to seeing what the actual new cars look like? Never been keen on wheel covers but can’t wait to see how they look. Hopefully be some decent livery changes as well.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Sainz is a great driver, but Leclerc is special. He's just had some shit luck recently.

RoadTrip

I mentioned it last night in the other thread but everyone was still reacting to the WUMs so I got lost in the mess :( Anyone else looking forward to seeing what the actual new cars look like? Never been keen on wheel covers but can’t wait to see how they look. Hopefully be some decent livery changes as well.
Yeah will be exciting. Someone posted an interview above which would suggest we might get more variation in design so they might look quite different from one another. The concept cars may also end up looking nothing like what they actually look like too. Should be around Feb I guess, that we get to see them

Jack-C20

Yeah will be exciting. Someone posted an interview above which would suggest we might get more variation in design so they might look quite different from one another. The concept cars may also end up looking nothing like what they actually look like too. Should be around Feb I guess, that we get to see them
That’s what I was thinking. I’m trying to not think of the concept car because as you say, the actual cars could look completely different. Going to be a long couple of months.

telstar96

Albon would beat Latifi on points. He is the better driver.
He should beat Latifi, but I'm not sold on Albon. In my opinion he was promoted way too quickly to Red Bull and got found out. I don't see him being streets ahead of Latifi, like Russell was. Hopefully he proves me wrong though, I really want to see Williams competing again.

ArjenIsM3

You either clearly don’t know anything about some of the other reg changes implemented in 2021 or the last few years, or you’re just simply trying to be a fraud and present a straw man.

Also no disrespect but how brain dead do you have to be to not understand something going your way unfairly within the bounds of the rules vs something going your way unfairly outside the bounds of the rules? The former happens to every driver in their career. If the crash had happened 2 laps earlier, the safety car let all lapped cars through, then came in the next lap to allow one racing lap, believe me id be so annoyed and upset especially because of how Lewis drive yesterday, but ultimately it would just be the shite luck of the draw. But what happened yesterday wasn’t that. It was rules created on the fly. So no comparable to Silverstone or Imola or Hungary or even fecking Spa which was a joke too. It’s even another level to that. To which I know you’ll say but it was within the rules as per the result of the protest that Masi can do what he wants etc. m To which I’ll say there has never been any precedent and that the director did not treat the entire field equally, which is a core foundational principal of sport, to which you’ll say blah blah blah. Bottom line is, this argument of “win some lose some” does not apply here. It’s not just a “can see why Hamilton fans are angry but it happens sometimes and decisions have gone against both” situation. And it really is not that difficult to comprehend that.

I particularly like how you claim to be objective but 99% of your posts will only appear when you have something negative to say about Hamilton and Mercedes. Funny that. Oh, to be honest. Sorry.

Anyway this should all be in the 2021 thread so I apologise in advance.
Well no I don't, I'm definitely no expert but from what I've seen/heard/read the past few seasons they've not done much to the detriment of Mercedes. And the example I brought up (pitstops) was actively pushed by Merc and obviously hit Red Bull the hardest. But if you want to educate me go right ahead. Give us a rundown of the changes and how they've hit Mercedes more than the other teams.

The rest of your post I'll do you a favour by not getting into it because it's just a rant that ultimately hasn't got much to do with me or what I said.

Last edited:

vangagal

He should beat Latifi, but I'm not sold on Albon. In my opinion he was promoted way too quickly to Red Bull and got found out. I don't see him being streets ahead of Latifi, like Russell was. Hopefully he proves me wrong though, I really want to see Williams competing again.
And he should get that 2nd chance in AT just like Gasly was. For sure he's no Russel but he is should beat Latifi imo.

RoadTrip

Well no I don't, I'm definitely no expert but from what I've seen/heard/read the past few seasons they've not done much to the detriment of Mercedes. And the example I brought up (pitstops) was actively pushed by Merc and obviously hit Red Bull the hardest. But if you want to educate me go right ahead. Give us a rundown of the changes and how they've hit Mercedes more than the other teams.

The rest of your post I'll do you a favour by not getting into it because it's just a rant that ultimately hasn't got much to do with me or what I said.
With respect, not my job to do the research for you. If you’re capable of finding out about the pit stop rule change, you can find out about others. Otherwise your comment about recent rule change favouring Red Bull is a pretty odd statement to make, if you don’t know about rule changes. But for one, the aero rule changes this year affected low rake cars more than high rake. Mercedes run low rake, RB rake.

As for the rest of my post, it was a bit ranty which I accept, but unfortunately carries a lot of truth even if not articulated “nicely”. It is not surprising at all that you would want to avoid discussing the underlying point, though.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance

Mine are that:
Max will be dqed from at least one race for taking out someone

The Hilton

I thought one of the criticisms around the rule changes is that all the cars would basically be identical but with different colours. I'm not sure it's such a bad thing after several eras of almost total dominance by teams (RB, Merc), but it does take away from the engineering side of things.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I thought one of the criticisms around the rule changes is that all the cars would basically be identical but with different colours. I'm not sure it's such a bad thing after several eras of almost total dominance by teams (RB, Merc), but it does take away from the engineering side of things.
I think your gonna see a lot of aero innovations on the underside of the car... they have basically re allowed some things banned in the 1980s

I think the cars will regain a lot of the speed that is expected to be lost

My big worry is that if cars can follow each other closely... and you have drs then basically every straight is going to be too easy to overtake on

RoadTrip

I had thought that but I watched a few interviews including the one posted above somewhere and it seemed like there could be fundamental differences in certain things. I dunno though. There is usually a “best” way and most teams have the highest quality engineers to by and large find it.

The Hilton

I had thought that but I watched a few interviews including the one posted above somewhere and it seemed like there could be fundamental differences in certain things. I dunno though. There is usually a “best” way and most teams have the highest quality engineers to by and large find it.
I think your gonna see a lot of aero innovations on the underside of the car... they have basically re allowed some things banned in the 1980s

My big worry is that if cars can follow each other closely... and you have drs then basically every straight is going to be too easy to overtake on
DRS only exists in order to make overtaking easier with cars that would otherwise really struggle. If it becomes unnecessary, then I can't see any reason why they wouldn't bin it.

Still, good to know the rules allow for some innovation - it doesn't feel right to stifle that too much even in the name of racing.

telstar96

Apparently they’re looking to scrap DRS by 2024, which would make sense if the cars can follow closer. Personally I don’t mind DRS, they just need to adjust the distance of some of the zones.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!

I think DRS is gone next year.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
If Haas have done a somewhat decent job, Mick Schumacher will surprise a lot. He absolutely schooled daddies boy this year.

He’s virtually where George Russell was in that Williams for a long time. It also raises issues for Ferrari because if Sainz beats Leclerc again… Ferrari want Mick in that seat if he’s good enough for the sheer boatload of money from advertising it will bring… how do you sack Sainz if he’s beaten Leclerc twice even though Charles (IMO) has a much higher ceiling…

RoadTrip

If Haas have done a somewhat decent job, Mick Schumacher will surprise a lot. He absolutely schooled daddies boy this year.

He’s virtually where George Russell was in that Williams for a long time. It also raises issues for Ferrari because if Sainz beats Leclerc again… Ferrari want Mick in that seat if he’s good enough for the sheer boatload of money from advertising it will bring… how do you sack Sainz if he’s beaten Leclerc twice even though Charles (IMO) has a much higher ceiling…
You do it anyway, is the short answer. Sainz even if better is sadly expendable, unless he genuinely contends for a world title. It isn’t fair nor right but if they are similar, he would be the one to go. In fairness Sainz has been very good but I’d hardly say he’s been significantly better or anything. It’s marginal at best.

RoadTrip

Why though? It will be back to the processions of old.
Cars are meant to be able to follow much closer. The logic is that slip streaming will be sufficient without DRS. There was some stats somewhere about % downforce lost by a following car between this years cars and next years and it was significantly less for next years cars. Can’t remember where that video is though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Mine are that:
Leclerc will be the 2022 world champion.