F1 2022 Season

Jerch

Will be cool to see Max racing with #1 next year. Not been used since Vettel back in 2014.
He said he will take it in the interview. Just at the end around 10:40 in below video.

Edit: sorry for mistake. I misread it first time "would be cool" and it sounded like a guess if he will take it. Re-read it and saw that it was a statement.

pauldyson1uk

He said he will take it in the interview. Just at the end around 10:40 in below video.

Edit: sorry for mistake. I misread it first time "would be cool" and it sounded like a guess if he will take it. Re-read it and saw that it was a statement.
Have to admit he comes across pretty well in that interview.
I have said it before I dont dislike Max, it will be the first of quite a few WC, will he match the 7 by Lewis, that I am not sure about, he is good enough and young enough to do it, but Lewis will still be around for a few seasons yet.
Horner is the problem for me, I just cant stand the man, not one bit.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Pato O'Ward was blown away by his day at the wheel of McLaren's MCL35M at Yas Marina on Tuesday, calling his maiden experience onboard an F1 car "crazy and insane".

O'Ward was gifted the outing with McLaren in this week's post-season test in Abu Dhabi by McLaren Racing boss Zak Brown, who committed to offering the Arrow McLaren SP IndyCar charger an F1 test for winning his first race in the NTT IndyCar Series, a feat duly achieved back in May at the Texas Motor Speedway.

The 22-year-old ran on Tuesday in the field of young drivers, meaning he was entrusted with a 2021-spec car while Daniel Ricciardo contributed to Pirelli's 18-inch-wheel program onboard McLaren's mule car.

O'Ward concluded the day fourth fastest, completing a total of 92 laps, and with a massive smile on his face that outdid Ricciardo's signature Aussie grin.

Read the full story here.
https://f1i.com/news/428924-oward-l...FN3-EjKrwrvx-8YYeDgugOX5jLQpv1ZZD9hiXznQIvquA

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Looking to forward what the new car designs will be like. Some interesting changes coming in that will surely change what they look like

telstar96

Pato O'Ward was blown away by his day at the wheel of McLaren's MCL35M at Yas Marina on Tuesday, calling his maiden experience onboard an F1 car "crazy and insane".

O'Ward was gifted the outing with McLaren in this week's post-season test in Abu Dhabi by McLaren Racing boss Zak Brown, who committed to offering the Arrow McLaren SP IndyCar charger an F1 test for winning his first race in the NTT IndyCar Series, a feat duly achieved back in May at the Texas Motor Speedway.

The 22-year-old ran on Tuesday in the field of young drivers, meaning he was entrusted with a 2021-spec car while Daniel Ricciardo contributed to Pirelli's 18-inch-wheel program onboard McLaren's mule car.

O'Ward concluded the day fourth fastest, completing a total of 92 laps, and with a massive smile on his face that outdid Ricciardo's signature Aussie grin.

https://f1i.com/news/428924-oward-l...FN3-EjKrwrvx-8YYeDgugOX5jLQpv1ZZD9hiXznQIvquA
Anyone know the comparison of the times for the 2021 spec cars to the qualifying times last Saturday?

I remember last year Alonso lapped faster than both Ocon and Danny Ric, so should be interesting to see if there’s any drivers who were particularly fast.

mitChley

Pato O'Ward is an absolutely fantastic name, well done his parents.

F-Red

What was the reason for Hamilton not taking it? Presumably 44 is symbolic for him but any reason why?
His view is that with 44 (his number from his karting days) on the car, it's a clean slate every season and he doesn't rest on his laurels. I presume with the number one on his car, he thinks he'll get complacent.

pauldyson1uk

What was the reason for Hamilton not taking it? Presumably 44 is symbolic for him but any reason why?
Lewis Hamilton has explained that there is some competitive thinking behind his choice not to run with the number 1 on his car, despite being World Champion.

With drivers assigned a permanent race number under a new rule introduced in 2014, the winner of the World Championship can choose to race with the number 1 or their own.

Since 2014, Hamilton has always chosen to use #44, a number that has since become synonymous with Hamilton and his brand.

But commercial activities aside, Hamilton revealed there is a psychological reason for him not running with the number 1.

Full story here
https://racingnews365.com/hamilton-explains-why-he-wont-use-number-1-on-his-car

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Will Mercedes use the black livery again next season? Is that their team colours now?

pauldyson1uk

They say that behind every great man there's a great woman, and that was certainly the case for Lotus genius Colin Chapman, given the remarkable contribution of his wife Hazel to the legendary marque's success.

Hazel Chapman passed away at 94 on Tuesday and was described by Lotus Cars managing director Matt Windle as "the rock upon which the Lotus foundations were built".

A former racing driver in her own right and a shrewd businesswoman, Mrs. Chapman yielded her power and influence on all the company's fronts, whether it was Lotus Cars or Team Lotus, assuming a matriarchal role withing the organization while her husband focused on his engineering brilliance in the racing world.

https://f1i.com/news/428950-lotus-c...1RC9lKm__V0ro77wcjND8mqTawZWJWKDL9l-w1nmzl5UQ

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Who has the most aesthetically pleasing car? Merc's is absolutely near the top. RB looks kinda mean and aggressive but I like it too. McLaren is easily the worst looking car for me. I'm no fan of Alpine either.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Never been a fan of F1 even been obnoxious and ignorant to it in recent days :lol:

But out of boredom I watched last Sunday and it was a shit show but I still actually enjoyed it. I’ve started watching the F1 series on Netflix which is actually pretty great. So I think I’ll be giving this motor shit a go next year.

What are the important dates/events between now and opening race?

F-Red

Never been a fan of F1 even been obnoxious and ignorant to it in recent days :lol:

But out of boredom I watched last Sunday and it was a shit show but I still actually enjoyed it. I’ve started watching the F1 series on Netflix which is actually pretty great. So I think I’ll be giving this motor shit a go next year.

23rd-25th of February, pre-season testing in Barcelona. Most cars will be unveiled 7 days or so before the 23rd.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

It’s people like you which make 2021’s decision making so shite.

Go back to the NFL thread :lol:

(Season starts in March, then races usually every week or every other week apart from the mid season break which lasts 3 weeks I think. New cars should be revealed around early to mid Feb with pre season testing around Feb too.)

JJ12

23rd-25th of February, pre-season testing in Barcelona. Most cars will be unveiled 7 days or so before the 23rd.
It’s people like you which make 2021’s decision making so shite.

Go back to the NFL thread :lol:

(Season starts in March, then races usually every week or every other week apart from the mid season break which lasts 3 weeks I think. New cars should be revealed around early to mid Feb with pre season testing around Feb too.)
:lol:

Thanks guys - much longer season than I thought to be fair

JJ12

Is it expected to be Hamilton vs Verstappen again or any other drivers capable of giving them a push?

pauldyson1uk

Is it expected to be Hamilton vs Verstappen again or any other drivers capable of giving them a push?
Nobody really know yet.
New rules and all that, bigger tyres.
Pre season testing will give some indication of speed, but teams wont want to be showing that before the season.
FP for the first race will be the first real indication I think.
The top teams wont show their true speed until Q3 of the first race.
Hoping for more than a 2 way fight in 2022.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I'm hoping for a 2010-esque season, 4 race-winning teams. 4 or 5 drivers in the title fight.

Hephaestus

A lot will depend on which teams nail the new regulations, there's every chance Red Bull or Mercedes could be nowhere near the front and some other team is dominant. If it is just those two then Russell should give them more to think about, he seems very talented.

Also, sounds like Hamilton returning is not yet guaranteed after the bullshit on Sunday, Toto Wolff just mentioned he "would very much hope" he returns for next year but I'm guessing he's taking a few days/weeks to think about it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Curious what everyone thinks about this:

Personally I hate this idea. The red flag has a specific purpose and the sport shouldn't be looking for reasons to deploy it for the sake of spectacle.

On the other hand, in my opinion they should absolutely look into having lapped cars drop back whilst behind a safety car instead of having them do the whole circuit - in theory this could be done far earlier as well to allow for more racing.

ArjenIsM3

Personally I hate this idea. The red flag has a specific purpose and the sport shouldn't be looking for reasons to deploy it for the sake of spectacle.

On the other hand, in my opinion they should absolutely look into having lapped cars drop back whilst behind a safety car instead of having them do the whole circuit - in theory this could be done far earlier as well to allow for more racing.
I hate races finishing under safety car too so I don't mind them red flagging races instead. Better that than what happened at Abu Dhabi that's for sure. Lapped cars dropping back is all well and good but it then they haven't actually done the lap have they? Less wear on tyres and engine, no lap time registered so a nightmare for the information systems too.

telstar96

I completely agree. The red flag idea is a nonsense in my opinion. Bringing out the safety car was absolutely fine, it’s the decision making process afterwards that was ultimately flawed.

People are bringing up red flags because of the tyre offsets between Lewis and Max. At the end of the day that’s racing, it’s tough luck for the car that doesn’t pit. It’s not the FIAs responsibility to make sure everyone is on similar tyres. Maybe if Bottas was up there, Max can’t pit and it’s a much fairer fight on the last lap.

Ultimately, the FIA need to look at why they didn’t unlap cars earlier and what was the justification of the decisions that happened after the SC came out and not before. In my opinion, they panicked and forced a scenario whereby only Lewis and max would be racing each other on the last lap.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I hate races finishing under safety car too so I don't mind them red flagging races instead. Better that than what happened at Abu Dhabi that's for sure. Lapped cars dropping back is all well and good but it then they haven't actually done the lap have they? Less wear on tyres and engine, no lap time registered so a nightmare for the information systems too.
Fair point re: dropping back - suppose this might have to be limited to the last laps of the race. Maybe if there's a safety car in the final 10 laps? I definitely appreciate that this is arbitrary though and probably more nuanced than I'd considered at first!

Agreed that a red flag would have been preferable to what occurred but at the same time that race was a very extreme edge case given the stakes. Personally I'd not want to see that type of intervention on a regular basis but that might just be me.

hobbers

Red flags are a nonsense if everyone gets repaired and fresh tyres on the restart.

50 laps of racing and tyre strategy all pissed away in an instant.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Red flags are a nonsense if everyone gets repaired and fresh tyres on the restart.

50 laps of racing and tyre strategy all pissed away in an instant.
I suppose you could disallow pit stops under certain red flags? Or make a new orange flag where everyone comes back to the pits but no work on the car is allowed? Feels like would be needlessly complicated and difficult to enforce, though.

MTF

I agree with you, don't like. I don't mind a race finishing under SC if that's what organically happened due to a late accident. 23 races in a season, odds are less than one per year will have a very late incident that justifies a SC.

Also wish they could figure out how to have lapped cars just drop back. Understand the timing/telemetry challenges but imagine it could be figured out. Not to concerned about the minimal tyre wear avoided by not doing an extra medium paced lap, or the fuel saved.