F1 2022 Season

Charlie Foley

As I said in the 2021 thread not a big F1 person these days. I watched Schumacher back in the day like everyone else and my dad is well into it, though he hated Schumacher.

what has been the reaction to the whole drama from other drivers. Could there be any sort of backlash from other drivers towards Max/RB (nothing super dangerous, but boxing him in/being irritants/Schumacher shithousery)?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’m glad the new season starts in march. if it started this weekend i wouldn’t have the heart to watch it. give it three months and i’ll be thirsting for it like the dirty whore i am.

hobbers

As I said in the 2021 thread not a big F1 person these days. I watched Schumacher back in the day like everyone else and my dad is well into it, though he hated Schumacher.

what has been the reaction to the whole drama from other drivers. Could there be any sort of backlash from other drivers towards Max/RB (nothing super dangerous, but boxing him in/being irritants/Schumacher shithousery)?
Why would they backlash against Max?

None of the other drivers cared who won anyway, except Russell because he wanted to look like Mr. Mercedes.

telstar96

One interesting aspect to the current grid is that the next generation of drivers either grew up racing together or are connected to each other in some way. Gasly, Ocon and Leclerc all knew each other from the karting days. Albon was leclerc’s and latifi’s teammate in the junior categories and also raced against Russell, Norris and Stroll for a number of years. Norris and Verstappen have been friends since they were young. So, a lot of these drivers have formed social circles from those they met growing up or through people who had mutual friends.

So to answer your question, there hasn’t been much backlash against Max and I believe that is down to what I have written above. Many of these drivers are pretty much best mates doing their dream job. Obviously this can change when they start competing against each other for titles. Hamilton and Rosberg are the best example of a friendship deteriorating in F1.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Drivers have said they will adjust their racing if Max goes unpunished (LeClerc). I think we will see much more aggressive racing from most.

pauldyson1uk

Mohammed ben Sulayem from the United Arab Emirates has been elected president of the FIA, the former rally driver succeeding Jean Todt who reigned for twelve years at the helm of motorsports' governing body.

Sulayem defeated at the ballot box FIA deputy vice-president Graham Stoker with a 61.6% vote.

As one of the Arab world's leading motor sport figures, Sulayem enjoyed a rallying career that spanned three decades, during which the 60-year-old won 14 FIA Middle East Rally Championship titles.

In 2008, he became the first Arab named as Vice President of the FIA, and the first to be elected to the FIA World Motor Sport Council.

In his FIA role he has pioneered teaching, research and knowledge transfer initiatives in motor sport, and was also instrumental in establishing the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Formula 1's calendar in 2009.

https://f1i.com/news/429126-mohamme...TT8w57WIgH3dTFdDMY2xHN7miugCzK3SDpMIGlsm3VQkA

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I'm not going to watch until they sack Masi.

He's incompetent and the FIA loses all credibility as long as they keep him in the job.

Doesn't help that I'm really only watching for Kimi mostly these years.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If Lewis retires who is going to challenge Max next year? Doesn't seem like anyone can really compete. Or is Russell very special?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
If Lewis retires who is going to challenge Max next year? Doesn't seem like anyone can really compete. Or is Russell very special?
The whole grid could be shaken up, Red Bull might not even be competitive a la McLaren 2009.

Lewis ain't retiring either.

telstar96

The whole grid could be shaken up, Red Bull might not even be competitive a la McLaren 2009.

Lewis ain't retiring either.
The quality at the top end of the grid is incredible as well. Russell, Leclerc, Sainz, Ricciardo and Norris could all arguably challenge for wins if given a good enough car.

altodevil

The quality at the top end of the grid is incredible as well. Russell, Leclerc, Sainz, Ricciardo and Norris could all arguably challenge for wins if given a good enough car.
Half the grid could - if you take out Mazepin and the rookies, you are talking, tops 5 tenth difference.

Fluctuation0161

Formula 1's managing director of motorsport Ross Brawn is in favour of barring team bosses from communicating directly with FIA race director Michael Masi during Grands Prix in 2022.

This year's tumultuous season featured several instances when which Red Bull and Mercedes team bosses intervened over the airwaves to appeal to Masi regarding a specific event or incident.

Last weekend's dramatic showdown in Abu Dhabi was marked by several in-race radio messages to race control from the two teams' pitwall.

The first corner tussle between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen triggered several communication queries from Red Bull's Jonathan Wheatley and Mercedes sporting boss Ron Meadows, with both teams arguing a case in favour of their respective driver.

Later in the race, Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff implored Masi not to deploy the safety car when Antonio Giovinazzi's Alfa Romeo was stranded on the side of the track.

But the chatter and two-way conversations ramped up during the race's late safety car period when confusion emerged over the fate of the lapped cars positioned between Hamilton and Verstappen.

Horner questioned the already under-pressure Masi about why the cars were not waved through as the rules allow, while Wolff, as the action was undertaken, lost his cool and lambasted the race director, yelling "Michael! No, Michael! No! No, Michael! That was so not right!"

Speaking to German publication, Auto Motor und Sport, Brawn said that Horner and Wolff's interventions were unacceptable.

"It is not acceptable that the team bosses put Michael under such pressure during the race," Brawn said.

"Toto Wolff cannot demand that a safety car should not come, and Christian Horner cannot demand that the cars have to lap back.

"That is at the discretion of the race director. We will stop this contact next year."

Brawn equated the interferences to "a football coach negotiating with the referee".

The F1 chief saluted Masi's call to release the field for one final lap, but lamented Mercedes' post-race protests.

"The decision in the last lap is a highlight that can't be topped," added Brawn.

"Unfortunately, the protest takes the shine from the finale a bit."

https://f1i.com/news/428895-formula...iRnLEJDz9RZN5P7yOedzEZhSTWrFpTLiPyq8uHSDj9nm4
If Brawn can't see that Masi has to go then there is not much hope for him.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Half the grid could - if you take out Mazepin and the rookies, you are talking, tops 5 tenth difference.
Are Bottas and Perez that bad then, that they are so far behind Lewis and Max or am I once again just missing something...

The Firestarter

Are Bottas and Perez that bad then, that they are so far behind Lewis and Max or am I once again just missing something...
I think Lewis and Max simply are in a league of their own. On their day, almost every driver except for the brats would make fantastic single laps if given the proper car, but the consistency and composure required to grind the results and perform 99% of the time at your absolute peak makes those two exceptional.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think Lewis and Max simply are in a league of their own. On their day, almost every driver except for the brats would make fantastic single laps if given the proper car, but the consistency and composure required to grind the results and perform 99% of the time at your absolute peak makes those two exceptional.
Yeah, which is what prompted my original question; should Lewis retire, who will challenge Verstappen over a whole season.

Though surely Lewis will not retire.

The Firestarter

Yeah, which is what prompted my original question; should Lewis retire, who will challenge Verstappen over a whole season.

Very hard to answer before we see what the new car situation is. If the balance stays the same I guess probably nobody, yet. Unless Russel makes a big leap mentally in his first season in Merc.

altodevil

Bottas had an average gap of 2 or 3 tenths to Hamilton before he started driving a different car.

Perez in a brand new car/engine so can't be compared. It's also well known that Red Bull tune their car to their first drivers preferences - Verstappen/Vettel etc.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Ultimately though, the car makes the biggest difference. Verstappen wouldn't have become world champion if he drove for any team but RB or Mercedes this year. With all the new regulations, next year is a new world. Mercedes and RB have the money to put so much effort into development that they'll probably be around the top again no matter what, also because the engine isn't really changing (barring major stupidity or a genius discovery at another team); but other teams have been spending a lot of time this season preparing for the next while Mercedes and RB were still working on this season's car. If they did a good job, McLaren and Ferrari might bridge the gap, with Alpine and Aston Martin not far behind. They all have brilliant drivers as well. So at this point in time, all is still up in the air for next season really.

telstar96

They’re both top midfield drivers in my opinion, but when you’re going up against Max or Lewis, they’re going to make you look bad.

This is why they’ll always be #2’s and not championship contenders. But that shouldn’t be held against them. Coulthard, Barrichello and Webber were all very talented and had incredible careers but always fell short of teammates who were far superior. If anything, it just shows how good the likes of Hamilton, Vettel, Schumacher and Häkkinen are/were.

hobbers

Perez is a very good racer but poor qualifier. Bottas is a very good qualifier but absolutely abysmal in the races, especially the starts.

Neither good enough to win a title though.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I wonder how Covid will impact the start of the season as Omicron will be quite dominant by then across the world.

Bahrain and Saudi up first I believe then moves into Europe by Apr/May/June.

slyadams

Missed Apex had an insider on the season review who said RBR threw a tonne of development at the 2021 car and would be amazed if they were competative in 2022.

dinostar77

23 race season :drool:

I heard on Teds notebook earlier he made a comment like "if Mercedes car is as far ahead as is rumoured Hamilton might not have to wait too long for number 8" or something along those lines so I assume Mercedes will still be as competitive as ever.

Really looking forward to seeing what they do now Hamilton has a competent team mate. Really want to see Russell get some wins under his belt.
I want close racing, but next season I wouldnt mind of Mercedes were miles ahead of everyone else and lewis gets the title with 5/6 races to spare.

pauldyson1uk

23 race season :drool:

I heard on Teds notebook earlier he made a comment like "if Mercedes car is as far ahead as is rumoured Hamilton might not have to wait too long for number 8" or something along those lines so I assume Mercedes will still be as competitive as ever.

Really looking forward to seeing what they do now Hamilton has a competent team mate. Really want to see Russell get some wins under his belt.
I want another close season with maybe 3 or 4 teams fighting for the win, but I have to be honest, If Mercedes are way in front and winning each race, I would be happy.
Watching Horner have another meltdown would be epic.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Missed Apex had an insider on the season review who said RBR threw a tonne of development at the 2021 car and would be amazed if they were competative in 2022.
I was also reading that Mercedes and Red Bull will be 'up there' one way or another, since the new regulations are all about aerodynamics and so their engine advantage will remain. So if Red Bull are behind on car development, they'll still be ahead on engine - which would be fun, as it would pull the grid closer together. (As long as Mercedes don't run away with it.)

antsmithmk

Hates women.
I was also reading that Mercedes and Red Bull will be 'up there' one way or another, since the new regulations are all about aerodynamics and so their engine advantage will remain. So if Red Bull are behind on car development, they'll still be ahead on engine - which would be fun, as it would pull the grid closer together. (As long as Mercedes don't run away with it.)
Red Bull ahead on engine?! With Honda pulling out ad leaving a skeleton crew to assist RB on their engine I highly doubt it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Red Bull ahead on engine?! With Honda pulling out ad leaving a skeleton crew to assist RB on their engine I highly doubt it.
Honda have left a team to help run it, and the engines are now frozen for 3 years. The differences won't come from the engine much at all this year.

Where Red bull MIGHT struggle is these cars are now going to be a low rake setup (which is what Mercedes have been running for years, and the opposite of RB).

I imagine though it will be the usual pretenders (RB, Mercedes, Ferrari) along with a few surprises of maybe Alpine, Aston Martin, Mclaren.

Wouldn't it be great if an odd ball like Haas went out and blew everybody away :lol:

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Honda have left a team to help run it, and the engines are now frozen for 3 years. The differences won't come from the engine much at all this year.

Where Red bull MIGHT struggle is these cars are now going to be a low rake setup (which is what Mercedes have been running for years, and the opposite of RB).

I imagine though it will be the usual pretenders (RB, Mercedes, Ferrari) along with a few surprises of maybe Alpine, Aston Martin, Mclaren.

Wouldn't it be great if an odd ball like Haas went out and blew everybody away :lol:
I wouldn’t be surprised if haas are actually competitive next season, Ferrari looks like they are getting there engine act together, which would help haas and with no development in this years haas the majority of this year’s budget will go in to the 2022 car and then they have the most wind tunnel time of any team

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It’s be lovely to see Haas up there but unfortunately it’s a bit of a fairy tale. They certainly could make enough improvements to be competing in midfield as could Williams but a jump to the top is just too much to ask. Much more possible though is teams like Aston and Alpine and McLaren surprising everyone early doors.

pauldyson1uk

It’s be lovely to see Haas up there but unfortunately it’s a bit of a fairy tale. They certainly could make enough improvements to be competing in midfield as could Williams but a jump to the top is just too much to ask. Much more possible though is teams like Aston and Alpine and McLaren surprising everyone early doors.
If HAAS had drivers that were any good, then yes , but Maizpin in a car challenging for the lead, it would be carnage.

Wicked_Badger

I want close racing, but next season I wouldnt mind of Mercedes were miles ahead of everyone else and lewis gets the title with 5/6 races to spare.
Nah, we don’t want anyone to be miles ahead at the start of a new regulation period. Means the rest will spend years catching up like the last one.

It is the way of F1 though, so it’ll probably happen.

Fluctuation0161

I feel the same, would love to see Lewis get his 8th, but so long as its not RB I will be happy.
Does that make me bitter, too right it does.
I think RB are just an unlikeable bunch under Horner and Marko. Max also does not endear himself with his over aggressive driving and brake checking, but I think over time I could warm to Max. Horner and Marko never. :lol: