F1 2022 Season

dinostar77

Ferrari and Red Bull in Q3 tomorrow should be tasty. Apparently Ferrari are quicker than RB in the slow corners and RB quicker than Ferrari in the medium corners.

Sky F1 said Mercedes are 0.7 off the pace on average.

Leg-End

I wonder if Merc will ditch the hide pods for a more conventional solution if they don’t fix it quick.

ChaddyP

Hamilton was over half a second off the pace in Bahrain practice last year too.

And the car was poor in the race. The red bull dominated Mercedes that race and good strategy and amazing defensive driving plus some luck gave Hamilton the win. Hamilton himself admitted after the race they were well off the pace

Bahrain GP FP2 Time sheet

pauldyson1uk

Bahrain GP Practice Two Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Max VerstappenRed Bull1:31.936
2) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.087
3) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.584
4) George RussellMercedes+0.593
5) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+0.941
6) Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo+1.015
7) Sergio PerezRed Bull+1.022
8) Mick SchumacherHaas+1.149
9) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+1.208
10) Kevin MagnussenHaas+1.247
11) Lando NorrisMcLaren+1.344
12) Esteban OconAlpine+1.424
13) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+1.685
14) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+1.853
15) Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo+2.017
16) Lance StrollAston Martin+2.022
17) Nico HulkenburgAston Martin+2.125
18) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+2.230
19) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+2.550
20) Alex AlbonWilliams+2.799

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
On the Merc porpoising problem, Alonso said a few weeks ago his team had figured it out and were able to switch it on/off at will which they confirmed through testing. I wonder if Mercedes can also do the same, and are making it look like it's happening but when it gets to quali will just switch it off through whatever engineering Alonso says just eliminates the problem.

hp88

On the Merc porpoising problem, Alonso said a few weeks ago his team had figured it out and were able to switch it on/off at will which they confirmed through testing. I wonder if Mercedes can also do the same, and are making it look like it's happening but when it gets to quali will just switch it off?
Nah I don’t think they’re sandbagging this time, they’re actually fecked.

ChaddyP

On the Merc porpoising problem, Alonso said a few weeks ago his team had figured it out and were able to switch it on/off at will which they confirmed through testing. I wonder if Mercedes can also do the same, and are making it look like it's happening but when it gets to quali will just switch it off through whatever engineering Alonso says just eliminates the problem.
no that would be dumb. Imagine purposely making your car shit for 4 days testing in Bahrain and jolting the shit out of your drivers and not make them feel the true nature of the car all to do what? It's one thing turning the engine down. But what you are suggesting sounds absolutely counter intuitive

hobbers

Yeh I'm sure they love watching the engine and drivers getting shaken to bits during practice for no reason whatsoever.

Zarlak

no that would be dumb. Imagine purposely making your car shit for 4 days testing in Bahrain and jolting the shit out of your drivers and not make them feel the true nature of the car all to do what? It's one thing turning the engine down. But what you are suggesting sounds absolutely counter intuitive
Maybe, we'll see. Sainz replied to Russel saying they're struggling by saying they've seen Mercs GPS data and don't believe them for a second. If they were struggling so hard, that comment would also make no sense because the data Ferrari have seen that we cannot see, would also indicate issues. If Alpine can figure it out, then so can the top teams. Unless Mercs engineers are asleep, I'm not sure how the team that's won every constructors in a row since Noahs Ark have been unable to figure out what the shitter teams did weeks ago.

ChaddyP

Maybe, we'll see. Sainz replied to Russel saying they're struggling by saying they've seen Mercs GPS data and don't believe them for a second. If they were struggling so hard, that comment would also make no sense because the data Ferrari have seen that we cannot see, would also indicate issues. If Alpine can figure it out, then so can the top teams. Unless Mercs engineers are asleep, I'm not sure how the team that's won every constructors in a row since Noahs Ark have been unable to figure out what the shitter teams did weeks ago.
Sainz is commenting on their straight line speed... I'm commenting on what the car looks like on track. Engine mode isn't their problem. It's not just about the times. It doesn't pass the eye test currently

Zarlak

Sainz is commenting on their straight line speed... I'm commenting on what the car looks like on track. Engine mode isn't their problem. It's not just about the times. It doesn't pass the eye test currently
I agree that it looks bad on track, I just have this niggling thought that their problem is one that lesser teams have claimed they figured out weeks ago and can turn on/off very easily. Having the best engineers in F1 it doesn't pass the smell test that they couldn't have figured it out yet.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This post is another level of ridiculousness.

RoadTrip

My spidey-sense is telling me red bull are miles ahead. Think they have plenty of pace left in the bank.
I am hopeful that Ferrari has genuine pace to contend with them. But I do tend to think you’re probably right and come qualifying tomorrow, expecting to see Max on pole slightly ahead of the two Ferraris. But I don’t think they are Mercedes-level ahead of the rest. At least I hope.

dinostar77

Mercedes could fix the porposing with a quick change in ride height of the car, all the teams could. However you would loose a certain percentage of the downforce the floor is generating and in F1 every marginal gain counts.

I think Mercedes know the car is generating alot of downforce and there is alot of time to find in the car. According to the simulations. So they are trying to fix the porposing with a long term solution and keep all their downforce. Have their cake and eat it basically. I think from what we know currently, it has the most untapped potential of any car on the grid.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I am hopeful that Ferrari has genuine pace to contend with them. But I do tend to think you’re probably right and come qualifying tomorrow, expecting to see Max on pole slightly ahead of the two Ferraris. But I don’t think they are Mercedes-level ahead of the rest. At least I hope.
Ferrari looks lovely and balanced but Hamilton just said he thinks they’re currently 9 tenths off Red Bull and around half a second off Ferrari…if that’s the case Max into the distance on Sunday seems to be the likely scenario.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
This gp no or they would have got a bunch of better data with no bounce and could have just run heavy fuel to hide performance.

It probably is something they will manage out fairly quickly though I think as it's a known phenonomen of ground effect cars from previous f1 cars and other race series.

For quali though I doubt it but would be great to see a three way fight

dinostar77

Russell has been quoted as saying on long fuel runs they are 1 second off. Also for qually tomorrow alpha tauri and alfa romeo could cause them issues.

Hamilton just quoted as saying, there isnt a short term fix for the issue. Its a longer term problem. The fixes they tried today didnt work.

dinostar77

My spidey-sense is telling me red bull are miles ahead. Think they have plenty of pace left in the bank.
It looked for too easy for them. I really hope the ferraris can give them a run for their money. Shame mcalren are handicapped for this race as they have looked quick in testing.

hobbers

Can someone remind me what the brake cooling issue is?
Something to do with the way they've set up their front brakes means in the heat of daytime Bahrain they just melt after a couple of laps.

It might be a bit more manageable for quali and the race with them being at night.

Balljy

I agree that it looks bad on track, I just have this niggling thought that their problem is one that lesser teams have claimed they figured out weeks ago and can turn on/off very easily. Having the best engineers in F1 it doesn't pass the smell test that they couldn't have figured it out yet.
Merc are running a very different car for how it handles downforce to everybody else though. The lack of width and airflow changes may be a lot harder to solve without sidepods. It looks truly awful at the moment, and although I'm sure they're hiding some speed they won't be deliberately making it unstable.

Leg-End

I’m definitely not down for Red Bull domination if it’s the case this season, can do without Horner mugging off for most of the year. I would just tune out and catch highlights if it’s worth it.

Ferrari save us.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Hamilton just quoted as saying, there isnt a short term fix for the issue. Its a longer term problem. The fixes they tried today didnt work.
Everyone else can fix it but Mercedes.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Merc are running a very different car for how it handles downforce to everybody else though. The lack of width and airflow changes may be a lot harder to solve without sidepods. It looks truly awful at the moment, and although I'm sure they're hiding some speed they won't be deliberately making it unstable.
They're not prepared to give up anything in the fixing of. They're not showing us what they supposedly gained at all.

Balljy

They're not prepared to give up anything in the fixing of. They're not showing us what they supposedly gained at all.
Agreed, but the gain from their design will be downforce. If they need to lose that to fix the problem, they may consider the trade-off not worth it. I think they're probably trying to design the best of both worlds at the risk of having an unstable car for a few weeks.

It looks good in slow corners, which weirdly is what Red Bull have been dominant in, but in straights and fast corners it's visibly looking pretty undriveable.

RoadTrip

I imagine they’ll raise the height for this weekend now. Clearly they want to avoid that as it impacts performance. But they won’t have a choice this week as you can’t run a full race bounding up and down.

dinostar77

Can someone remind me what the brake cooling issue is?
Because the wheels have shrouds on them now, it makes it harder to dissipate the excess heat generated by the brakes. Mclaren have found that whatever solution they came up with isnt cooling the brakes sufficently and they are cooking themselves prematurely.

The mclaren front brake assembly design needs an entire change. Which will take a few weeks to resolve.

They have a interim solution to use a different material for the brake disc drum which encompassesthe usual, brake disc, caplier, pad etc, but its a band-aid fix. I wouldn't be suprised if after lap 3 tomorrow the mclarens were lifting and costing and using engine braking more to help cool the brakes.

dinostar77

I imagine they’ll raise the height for this weekend now. Clearly they want to avoid that as it impacts performance. But they won’t have a choice this week as you can’t run a full race bounding up and down.
I would have thought so as well, the excessive vibrations could damage lots of other parts of the car.

dinostar77

Agreed, but the gain from their design will be downforce. If they need to lose that to fix the problem, they may consider the trade-off not worth it. I think they're probably trying to design the best of both worlds at the risk of having an unstable car for a few weeks.

It looks good in slow corners, which weirdly is what Red Bull have been dominant in, but in straights and fast corners it's visibly looking pretty undriveable.
There was a deleted quote on sky f1 site when Mercedes first unveiled the slimline pods, that in the simulations they found "astonishing" levels of downforce. As others have said, they will live with a few races of pain to gain some serious speed for the rest of the season.

ChaddyP

yet here we are end of fp2 and they still look like shit. Give it up man, sometimes the most obvious reason is the actual reason