F1 2022 Season

Fluctuation0161

Lewis Hamilton says all the right things, but of course he doesn’t do the right things. Hypocrite? To a certain degree, but we’ve seen it all before. Speaks about human rights and his responsibility, his ability to meet with officials if need be, like they would have any interest in meeting him anyway. Probably a bit more important stuff going on than meeting a noisy and self-obsessed race car-driver.

If you want to make a statement, stay at home and boycott the event entirely, don’t show up like you’re on the fecking catwalk and speak semi-ill of the regime once you’re safely in the paddock. Again, lots of words (from a guy driving a car) but absolutely no action. He thought more about that outfit than human rights before hopping on the jet to the Saudis that’s for sure.
Well, he's raised your awareness of the issue.

He has a job. He has to work there. He can also raise awareness of certain issues.

Funny how most who criticse drivers like Vettel or Hamilton for speaking out, do feck all themselves.

pauldyson1uk

Just seen the statement from Domenicali and Mohammed bin Sulayem and it would not fill me with confidence If I was a driver.
They say the drivers , teams and families are safe !!
"Formula One knew about the possibility of these rocket attacks before they came out here. Prince Khalid, who is the Chairman of the circuit at Silverstone had assured the air defence systems were adequate enough to stop an attack getting through.
WTF , who wants to drive or be at a track where you could possible come under attack from missiles, it is utter madness.
Domenicali is on site and able to deal with this situation. It was a little surprising when we heard it was a deliberate attack because what is there to say what those individuals might attack next. They have never given any indication they would attack the Grand Prix itself of course but does it have to be considered a health and safety risk.
What is he going to do, kick any missiles away.
What if a 100 missiles are fired in Sunday and just one gets thought, for me the risk is far to big.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Just seen the statement from Domenicali and Mohammed bin Sulayem and it would not fill me with confidence If I was a driver.
They say the drivers , teams and families are safe !!
"Formula One knew about the possibility of these rocket attacks before they came out here. Prince Khalid, who is the Chairman of the circuit at Silverstone had assured the air defence systems were adequate enough to stop an attack getting through.
WTF , who wants to drive or be at a track where you could possible come under attack from missiles, it is utter madness.
Domenicali is on site and able to deal with this situation. It was a little surprising when we heard it was a deliberate attack because what is there to say what those individuals might attack next. They have never given any indication they would attack the Grand Prix itself of course but does it have to be considered a health and safety risk.
What is he going to do, kick any missiles away.
What if a 100 missiles are fired in Sunday and just one gets thought, for me the risk is far to big.
hamilton would be fine. he spent most of last year trying to avoid a missile heading for his sidepod most corners.
#misslesfired

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
So they’ve all met and F1 have told them race goes on which the team principles have agreed to with Toto and Helmut saying the safety of the area has been guaranteed. However, the drivers have been meeting afterwards for 30 minutes with it still going on.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
How can it be 100% guaranteed, it cant.
They’re ballistic missiles - they absolutely cannot guarantee shooting them down. It’s genuinely absurd it has been left to the drivers. And it’s not just the driver’s safety and team principles it is also the fans, mechanics, media etc who have zero say in this going ahead.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So they’ve all met and F1 have told them race goes on which the team principles have agreed to with Toto and Helmut saying the safety of the area has been guaranteed. However, the drivers have been meeting afterwards for 30 minutes with it still going on.
Toto and Helmut can get fecked, they can’t guarantee shit.

pauldyson1uk

Horner: F1 can't be bullied by terrorism
Speaking to Sky Sports, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said:
"The sport has to stand together collectively. Any act of terrorism shouldn't be condoned and sport shouldn't be bullied into a position. A situation like that just isn't acceptable."
"Stefano and the president are dealing with it. There's all the assurances from the organisers and we will be going racing."

I actually agree with Horner, to a point.
When does not bowing down to terrorism become not worth the risk.
One stay missile in to the track on Sunday would be horrendous

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
"The sport has to stand together collectively. Any act of terrorism shouldn't be condoned and sport shouldn't be bullied into a position. A situation like that just isn't acceptable."
"Stefano and the president are dealing with it. There's all the assurances from the organisers and we will be going racing."

That’s nice in theory, but it’s a severe safety concern and all this talk or guarantees is utterly ridiculous.

They shouldn’t have been there in the first place, but money.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

They shouldn't even be there if he or any of them are going to start claiming some moral compass.

fecking torturers and murderers. The Rulers, not just the freedom fighting terrorists.

pauldyson1uk

They shouldn't even be there if he or any of them are going to start claiming some moral compass.

fecking torturers and murderers. The Rulers, not just the freedom fighting terrorists.
That’s nice in theory, but it’s a severe safety concern and all this talk or guarantees is utterly ridiculous.

They shouldn’t have been there in the first place, but money.
I agree with both of you, there should be no Saudi race.

Balljy

They’re ballistic missiles - they absolutely cannot guarantee shooting them down. It’s genuinely absurd it has been left to the drivers. And it’s not just the driver’s safety and team principles it is also the fans, mechanics, media etc who have zero say in this going ahead.
Even of they could guarantee the missiles would be intercepted, who would want to go to a race where people were potentially shooting missiles at the track? It shouldn't even be a decision if there's any chance of the track being targeted it should be called off. As usual, this will probably be left to the drivers to make the decision for them.

That's not even getting into the ethics of being there in the first place.

pauldyson1uk

I have decided I am not watch this weekend.
I will post the results of qualifying and the race, but nothing else.
This is all I can do, I dont want to watch and risk seeing something horrendous happen.
IMHO the race should be cancelled, the risk is too great for all that are there.

GeorgieBoy

Shouldn't go ahead on the grounds of driver/team/spectator safety and the myriad of Saudi human rights abuses.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
No chance.

I’m sick to the back teeth of sport washing, one of the reasons why I’m so fed up with football too.
I'm with you, sometimes it takes a bit of getting steam up, I won't criticise others for watching etc but it will eventually come to them. Maybe they'll be hoping that others hurry up and join them. One day something will matter that much.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I agree with both of you, there should be no Saudi race.
I’m sure you didn’t take it as such but just to be clear I wasn’t suggesting you were in favour of it. I was responding more to Horner.

Even of they could guarantee the missiles would be intercepted, who would want to go to a race where people were potentially shooting missiles at the track? It shouldn't even be a decision if there's any chance of the track being targeted it should be called off. As usual, this will probably be left to the drivers to make the decision for them.

That's not even getting into the ethics of being there in the first place.
It’s insane.

“Someone May fire ballistic missiles at us but don’t worry we’ll intercept them”

“Ah ok cool, let’s crack on”

:houllier:

Shame Vettel isn’t there this week.
I’m sure he’ll be dialled in.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Seriously, all this manufacturied drama just for Netflix is just going too far.
If I was the Saudis I would be asking for their money back on their patriot missile system.

pauldyson1uk

Seriously, all this manufacturied drama just for Netflix is just going too far.
If I was the Saudis I would be asking for their money back on their patriot missile system.
How accurate is the Patriot missile system?

During the 1991 Gulf War, the public was led to believe the that the Patriot had near-perfect performance, intercepting 45 of 47 Scud missiles. The U.S. Army later revised that estimate down to about 50 percent — and even then, it expressed “higher” confidence in only about one-quarter of the cases

Even at the very best 2 got though , just think if one hit the main stand !

dinostar77

Drivers meeting still going on, 1hr 20mins so far. My guess is that the race will be cancelled.

Its past midnight in Saudi Arabia btw.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I have decided I am not watch this weekend.
I will post the results of qualifying and the race, but nothing else.
This is all I can do, I dont want to watch and risk seeing something horrendous happen.
IMHO the race should be cancelled, the risk is too great for all that are there.
Nothing is gonna happen to F1, I can assure you of that. Nobody is stupid enough to kill F1 drivers.

dinostar77

Totto said team principles are unanimous in that the race should go ahead.

Not sure the drivers agree...