F1 2022 Season

Balljy

I'm not convinced Wolff wants this to go ahead morally or for sporting reasons, so him joining doesn't go either way for me.

Leg-End

Imagine if a missile landed 7 miles from Silverstone or Spa, they wouldn’t even hesitate to cancel it, this is about greed pure and simple.

If even a single minor thing happened it would be the biggest scandal in sports, why risk this for a race?

Balljy

Wolff said earlier it’s the safest place in Saudi Arabia. He likes his money too make no mistake.
Fair enough, that's really disappointing if true. There's no gain at all from this apart from money for him.

Balljy

What makes you think he’s somehow different?
He comes across as someone who respects Hamilton particularly and looks after the team rather than only money. If he's said that Saudi Arabia is the safest place to be, then that's obviously not the case.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He comes across as someone who respects Hamilton particularly and looking after the team rather than only money. If he's said that Saudi Arabia is the safest place to be, then that's obviously not the case.
Yea, no.

United Hobbit

Is there a possibility/ risk those firing the missiles see hitting the track on race day a big way to make a statement?

I wonder if we will have like that USA GP several years ago, where only a few teams raced due to the controversy over I think it was tyres?

Wonder which drivers are pro it going ahead and who is anti. I'd imagine Lewis is anti, wouldn't be able to gauge the others enough to tell.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Team principles are rent a quotes who toe the PR line while the drivers express their views. I doubt any of them believe for a second that they're safe from a missile that hit 12 miles away, that should be painfully obvious to anybody.
Quite, which makes it all the more galling.

hobbers

I suspect the majority of drivers are okay to race and there will be a handful who are staunchly against it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I suspect the majority of drivers are okay to race and there will be a handful who are staunchly against it.
If it was only a few they’d let them crack on and leave. The fact we’re into hour 3 with all team principles being called back to track and numerous attempts to talk with the drivers tells me it isn’t just a few.

hobbers

If it was only a few they’d let them crack on and leave. The fact we’re into hour 3 with all team principles being called back to track and numerous attempts to talk with the drivers tells me it isn’t just a few.
Well if it was most of them they wouldn't have much to discuss on their own. And I think at least some of the team principles would have reflected the views of their drivers.

Suspect there's maybe 2-5 drivers kicking up a stink and everyone is trying to talk them round.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Maybe the drivers are thinking about the people like pit teams who have to be there but aren't going to get a job or would lose it if they naffed off.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Horner: F1 can't be bullied by terrorism
Speaking to Sky Sports, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said:
"The sport has to stand together collectively. Any act of terrorism shouldn't be condoned and sport shouldn't be bullied into a position. A situation like that just isn't acceptable."
"Stefano and the president are dealing with it. There's all the assurances from the organisers and we will be going racing."

I actually agree with Horner, to a point.
When does not bowing down to terrorism become not worth the risk.
One stay missile in to the track on Sunday would be horrendous
What I find hilarious about this is Horner is speaking of not being bullied by terrorism because of a missle coming from Yemen, while he is sitting in Saudi Arabia.

The absolute irony of this.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Well if it was most of them they wouldn't have much to discuss on their own. And I think at least some of the team principles would have reflected the views of their drivers.

Suspect there's maybe 2-5 drivers kicking up a stink and everyone is trying to talk them round.
I have no idea what “they wouldn’t have much to discuss on their own” means. If it was just 2 drivers “kicking up a stink” and not wanting to drive at a track near missile attacks they’d just let them not drive and carry on without them. It’s quite clearly more than 2 drivers.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I have no idea what “they wouldn’t have much to discuss on their own” means. If it was just 2 drivers “kicking up a stink” and not wanting to drive at a track near missile attacks they’d just let them not drive and carry on without them. It’s quite clearly more than 2 drivers.

I really hope they take a stand here, it would be quite momentous.

Mickeza

still gets no respect

Russell is the GDPA director (alongside Vettel). Should be some news shortly then.

If Russell is going alone surely he’s speaking for all of them meaning they’ve taken a decision together? I think that last tweet has 47 followers or something so could be fake.

Uniquim

If Russell is going alone surely he’s speaking for all of them meaning they’ve taken a decision together? I think that last tweet has 47 followers or something so could be fake.
Yeah, they must've made up their minds one way or the other.

Removed the second tweet. Think you're right.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's clearly off otherwise it would have never got to this stage.

I don't blame them for feeling unsafe, but sort of ironic that they went there in the first place - this could have happened at any point.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Who does everyone think the drivers are who are against?

Hamilton is a given but I don’t know other than that.

I can imagine Russell being against but if his new boss wants the race to go ahead he’s in a difficult place having just joined, he doesn’t have the clout his teammate has.

WPMUFC

Over/under 50% chance there will be a red flag because a missle will be intercepted over the track?