g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

F1 2023 Season

United Hobbit

Perez again messing up my prediction, thanks

Surely they'll bin him off we all know they don't suffer fools gladly

Wicked_Badger

Russell definitely doesn't seem to have got on as well as Hamilton since the recent Mercedes updates. Hamilton has comfortably had the better of him for the last few.

Perez will surely be replaced next year. DR3 is the obvious choice, but I wonder if they'd go left-field and try for a Norris or maybe even Albon again? Can't ever see them promoting Tsunoda.

pauldyson1uk

Russell definitely doesn't seem to have got on as well as Hamilton since the recent Mercedes updates. Hamilton has comfortably had the better of him for the last few.

Perez will surely be replaced next year. DR3 is the obvious choice, but I wonder if they'd go left-field and try for a Norris or maybe even Albon again? Can't ever see them promoting Tsunoda.
Will he finish the season ? RB have binned drivers mid season before.

mitChley

I'm prepared to eat my hat but I'd almost guarantee it won't be Daniel.

They said his driving has lots of weird errors in it, I can't see them wanting to reteach him to drive when he's 33. They didn't even bring him to Austria, they brought Lawson.

If I had to put a bet I'd say Yuki, or maybe Albon.

goalscholes

The gaps between no.1s and 2s has been much more significant recently.

I wonder if That’s a coincidence, or to do with the cost cap and upgrades.

Wicked_Badger

Will he finish the season ? RB have binned drivers mid season before.
Doing that with DR3 would give them time to the end of the season to assess his form & see if it was a blip at McLaren I guess. They could then make a decision to go with him or someone else next year. They'd have to do it soon though.

Leg-End

The difference in car body language on those laps, you could tell LeClerc was wringing its neck for that lap.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
To get that close to Max is impressive. But I think it's just Austria as a track that makes it competitive.

goalscholes

One day I’ll remember to make my superbru poll prediction on time… In my defence, I only received my email alert today after q1 had started.

goalscholes

From memory Austria is a very boring track. The main action we’ll get is watching whether cars on black and white flags can keep it within track limits.

Wicked_Badger

From memory Austria is a very boring track. The main action we’ll get is watching whether cars on black and white flags can keep it within track limits.
Austria has had some pretty decent races over the last few years. Usually quite an enjoyable race I find. Could get some drama with the sprint weekend format too.

goalscholes

Austria has had some pretty decent races over the last few years. Usually quite an enjoyable race I find. Could get some drama with the sprint weekend format too.
Oh fair enough. I don’t remember specifics, just thought it was one giant DRS train without much overtaking.

dinostar77

I felll asleep in Q1, out of tiredness not boredom. Damn it. Will watch it again later tonight. 4pm on a weekday is not a good time for qually.

pacifictheme

The gaps between no.1s and 2s has been much more significant recently.

I wonder if That’s a coincidence, or to do with the cost cap and upgrades.
Maybe but you have Norris v piastri, and as much potential as piastri has, Norris is definitely one of the fastest drivers on the grid. Albion v sergeant is very one sided due to experience and ability, and even tsunoda is a much better driver than de Vries. Then you have Perez absolutely melting under the pressure of competing versus max and totally underperforming. That's four teams right there with fairly obvious explanations.

Not sure on the others but Ferrari drivers must be pretty close, and generally Mercedes are too aren't they (although not today).

redshaw

Been impressed with Albon, perhaps he's worth a look for a bigger team now.

hobbers

Hope lando can convert a good qualifying to some good points for once.

Perez implosion continues.

Lando to Red Bull within 18 months.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Honestly if RB came knocking for Checho's seat to be filled as a F1 driver I would think twice. Competing or even be a sort of wingman to Max proved too difficult for many racers already. Gasley, Albon, even Ricciardo and now Perez?

goalscholes

Hope lando can convert a good qualifying to some good points for once.

Perez implosion continues.

Lando to Red Bull within 18 months.
I’m not a RB fan and I don’t want McLaren to lose Norris, but it would make F1 much more interesting.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Honestly if RB came knocking for Checho's seat to be filled as a F1 driver I would think twice. Competing or even be a sort of wingman to Max proved too difficult for many racers already. Gasley, Albon, even Ricciardo and now Perez?
It was too soon for Gasley and Albon when they got there shot they weren’t ready at that stage, DR3 wanted to be in a car that could fight the mercs and left just as RB were close to turning that corner.

If they choose Tsunoda that team will chew him up and spit him out mid season, he’s not ready, If Albon ever wants a chance of winning this would be it or DR3 if RB believe they can get the old Danny back not the one that Mclaren destroyed.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
This is what is expected though when you put average drivers or inexperienced talented drivers next to Max, and then gear your team 95% to Max. It’ll always remain like this unless you genuinely have two top talent racers who command equal support from the RB team. 1) those drivers are extremely rare given Max’s calibre and 2) why would they seek such a driver when ultimately a good driver who can consistently finish near the top without rocking the Max wagon is all they need?

Red Bull will move on from Perez if he continues like this, but IMO there’s little chance they’d go for someone like Norris.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
First time on the track, and feck me, those slow laps in qualifying was the closest thing so far in my life that could get me a heart attack. It's absolutely criminal how slow they are, and that they are allowed to pick racing line on slow laps. As soon as they see no one behind them they pick racing line even on straights when they are doing 60km/h in places where drivers behind is coming with over 300. So many dangerous situations, I am quite amazed they don't crash often, but yet Bottas spin and absolutey nothing happens and they put red flag.

Anyway, great day! Engine sounds good, nowhere near poor as people said it will be(of course it's not V8 or V10, but still good), even though F3 sound is more spectacular, but then they are much slower.

Perez is garbage. Max fans are insufferable, even though I got fond of him, I feel like entire Holland came to Austria. They are very fat, and very drunk/drugged.

dinostar77

This is what is expected though when you put average drivers or inexperienced talented drivers next to Max, and then gear your team 95% to Max. It’ll always remain like this unless you genuinely have two top talent racers who command equal support from the RB team. 1) those drivers are extremely rare given Max’s calibre and 2) why would they seek such a driver when ultimately a good driver who can consistently finish near the top without rocking the Max wagon is all they need?

Red Bull will move on from Perez if he continues like this, but IMO there’s little chance they’d go for someone like Norris.
Agree, do RB want a driver equal footing in the team like Hamilton and Rosberg had? Or do they want a no2 to support max?

Also alot depends on whether there is a driver who can either drive in the same vein as max i.e. snappy/pointy front end and correct the rear of the car mid corner or can adapt his driving style to that of max's. Perez struggles to adapt his style. As did gasly and albion. I have no idea if danny ric's driving style would be compatible, but i think he'd be worth a shot once the WDC and Constructors is mathematically won.

Lots of different drivers with different driving styles (smooth drivers like button, prost, jackie stewart) or those who like snappy point front end cars (max, hamilton, schmacher) have won the WDC, but the trend led by RB seems to be going down the pointy/snappy front end, which suits max and hamilton, leclerc as well. Whereas those with a smoother driving style i.e. perez, russell (with the b spec car) and sainz seem to struggle more.

It would make sense for RB to find a driver who likes a snappy/pointy front end car. It woupd save his pitcrew alot of time, effort and money having to adapt the car to characterisitics it inately doesnt have. Which is the situation perez is in.

Do Piastri and Norris have it in them to drive the RB to it potential? No idea. Does Danny Ric? No idea. Does leclerc? Yes. But RB would never put leclerc in the other seat. It would be Prost/Senna or the peak hate of Roseberg/Hamilton again. Crap for the RB team internally, but utter boxoffice for F1 and netflix (DTS).