F1 2023 Season

Jack-C20

Anyone been to Austria? Any tips?

I am going for the weekend in Spielberg, hate Sprint races when I am at home, but can't deny it's great to have 3 days of racing as a fan next to the track, pure 3 days of F1 :drool:

I agree with this too except this weekend.
I think you’ve picked a good one. The setting around the track is stunning. Dependent on where you’re sat you can see a lot of the track which is pretty unique. Didn’t get to stop at any but some of the fan zones around outside the track look awesome. Definitely a race I want to attend, enjoy!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Weather has changed again now, rain and thunderstorms for all sessions and the race.
It will be an interesting weekend.
I'll need two raincoats.

I think you’ve picked a good one. The setting around the track is stunning. Dependent on where you’re sat you can see a lot of the track which is pretty unique. Didn’t get to stop at any but some of the fan zones around outside the track look awesome. Definitely a race I want to attend, enjoy!
We picked the Schönberg spot(DRS zone on the hill) which for me is the best spot on the track considering you can basically see half of the track, and most of overtakes happen there too.

Thank you!

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Someone please explain to me how Superbru works on these shite ass sprint weekends? Is it just qualifying and race as normal and effectively ignores sprint, correct?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Lewis moaning about periods of dominance now it's not his turn to dominate :lol:
Yeah it's hypocritical. It's also why Toto can be insufferable bc they just can't help feeding the trolls online. Both him and Max especially have acknowledged before this is how F1 works so I hope he still believes that. But some at Merc seem to also forget that in years past they could throw more and more money at things virtually without limit. As their more reasonable takes have said: the fact RB is doing it with much less time and money to spend is (should be looked at as) impressive.

This is funny though, taken from Reddit:

When pushed on Mercedes' previous ability to do what Red Bull now can, Hamilton replied: "We never started as early as them. That's why I'm saying - it needs to change because that's why you have dominance for so long and they keep allowing it to happen.

James Allison in [this video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKZKCl_GEgY) about the 2019 car:

"A new car actually starts a lot earlier than people think it does and the W10, our 2019 car, started actually in the dying months of 2017."

Its interesting that Allison once again has the reasonable take about everything now as well by declaring it's too soon to judge something like the impact of a budget cap.

Last edited:

Leg-End

Lewis does always have some odd takes, especially in off the cuff non-controlled media pen interviews. On this occasion what he's suggesting probably isn't a bad idea but he's the last person in the paddock that should be suggesting it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Lewis does always have some odd takes, especially in off the cuff non-controlled media pen interviews. On this occasion what he's suggesting probably isn't a bad idea but he's the last person in the paddock that should be suggesting it.
Why?

Leg-End

Isn't it obvious? Like I said I don't disagree with what he said but its just fuel for triggering those that dislike him.

"It's not aimed at any one particular person or anything,” he said. “It's just obviously in my 17 years of being here, even before I got here, you see a period of time of dominance. And it continues to happen. I was really fortunate to have one of those periods that Max [Verstappen] is having now. But with the way it's going, it will continue to happen over and over again. And I don't think that we need that in sport. Just in my personal experience, when you're so far ahead, when you're 100 points ahead, you don't really need to do a lot more development on your car, and you can start earlier on your next car.

And with a budget cap that means spending that year's money on the next year's car. But if everyone had a time for example, if everyone knew when we can really start, whatever date it is – October is way too late probably, but 1 August, something like that – then no one has a head start, and then it's a real race in that short space of time for the future car. I don't know, maybe that would help everyone be closer the following year, maybe. I might be wrong. But something's got to change. When we were winning world championships, we could start earlier than everybody else.”
In context of what he was saying he even acknowledges he's been fortunate.

Abizzz

What he says makes perfect sense. He says it was true for Mercedes and is now so for Red Bull. I don't ever see it changing again though other than if F1 actually becomes the pinnacle of motoracing again and allows full development. Right now development wise pikes peak is more interesting than this budget formula. It's only natural to look to next year if you feel you have the current season under wraps.

pauldyson1uk

Lewis being Lewis with his comments, right or wrong depends on who you follow, personally I think he is correct about maybe a rule, has to when you can start on the following years car, but he must know that starting before others is what gave him his advantage and others over past F1 history.If it takes 2 years to develop a car so be it.
If any other driver had said it, they would not have got the stick he has.
Lewis making this statement now, smacks of sour grapes a bit, would have been better to say nothing.

redshaw

With less restrictions Merc could catch up and make for a better year. Hamilton asking for more seems a bit odd. There's already a lot for coming first.

Merc fecked up and Red Bull did well with ground effect cars favouring Newey that were brought in to have less turbulent air and more more overtaking. Merc also saw they had a duff car at the start and could've easily concentrated for the rest of the year and the whole of next but still brought another duff car and had to bring back James and sidepods etc recently.

We'd all like closer racing but this is also F1 where teams can excel in other areas. We saw Ferrari dominance, cars leading by a minute. We've had innovations and long leads on tracks going back a long way, that's been part of the sport in breaking new ground and gains through engineering rather some homologated racing.

The Firestarter

100 eur fine for Hamilton for 0.2 km/h overspeed in pit lane. I don't know how he will financially recover from this.

JuriM

Any particular reason why Aston seem to have fallen a bit behind now? Just that their upgrades didn’t hit the spot like Mercs did?
They really haven't? Stroll is struggling at qualis, but in race he has pace - but Fernando is very comfortable in this car and always in the top3-4 of the speed.

goalscholes

Drivers should answer questions honestly. If you’re making rules specifically to bring cars closer together, it does seem reductive to give the best cars the most amount of time to work on next years car.

I can see them tweaking the rules slightly.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Isn't it obvious? Like I said I don't disagree with what he said but its just fuel for triggering those that dislike him.

In context of what he was saying he even acknowledges he's been fortunate.
If it was obvious I would not have asked....