F1 2023 Season

Mike Smalling

Really hope for Alonso he manages to get a win this season. He is comfortably the second best driver, but it would require a Max mistake or mechanical, the way things are looking.

United Hobbit

Who could RB replace Perez with?

Would be interesting to see Lando in it, but I think he would rock the boat too much?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
That Williams is crazy in a straight line.

Would be interesting to see Lando in it, but I think he would rock the boat too much?
Rici. Which is looking more and more likely if Perez form continues.

United Hobbit

Why do they always cut away from the drivers when they're mid chat, it's really interesting let us hear it!

United Hobbit

I also don't recall any first corner carnage for a long time, it used to be fairly regular, now they all just process through

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I also don't recall any first corner carnage for a long time, it used to be fairly regular, now they all just process through
I think most of the drivers look pretty calm these days and realised that hot moves won't get them nowhere, which is probably result of limited budgets and every little thing being reviewed these days.

hobbers

Good day for the top 10 except Perez. Ferrari finally get it right with strategy, seems their tyre wear at this track at least is excellent.

Another woeful day for McLaren and Haas and poor old Yuki.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
That Williams is crazy in a straight line.

Rici. Which is looking more and more likely if Perez form continues.
Honestly they could switch him right now and I dont think Ric would do any worse at all. Perez isnt the same as the start to the season. All I want is a win from alonso or hamilton soon, this is getting so boring.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Softs 1x and mediums 2x was probably the best strategy and I don't think anyone used it. Possibly even soft soft mediums(or hards) with safety car.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Lando looked quick all week but stuck in DRS train for most of the race unfortunately.

dinostar77

Lando and Max are good friends away from the track. So lando has that in his favour. Whether RB would demote Perez and promote riccardo at the end of the season, i personally doubt. Riccardo would do a better job, but max would still have the measure of him.

Would never happen, but id love to see leclerc in the other RB seat. So will have to settle on lando. I am curious to see how good he actually is.

dinostar77

Honestly they could switch him right now and I dont think Ric would do any worse at all. Perez isnt the same as the start to the season. All I want is a win from alonso or hamilton soon, this is getting so boring.
Short of a mechanical failure, or getting caught up in a accident i dont seen alonso or hamilton beating max in the current RB as it stands. It just has way too much speed in reserve especially with max at the helm.

Maybe we might see a alonso or hamilton win closer to the end of the season. If it wasnt for the cost cap, AM and Mercedes could have spent alot more trying to get closer to RB. But it is what it is.

Would be great for the sport of the best three drivers (max alonso, hamilton) could actually battle realisitically for the title. That would be box office.

The Firestarter

Not sure what Checo's issue is. Nobody expects him to fight for the title. But the drop after Monaco is huge. With best car on the grid, to not even come close to the ferraris. Perhaps the other team reduced the gap to RB a bit (max used to finish 20secs ahead start of season) and now his limitations as driver are more pronounced ? If he continues like this I can see him getting axed.

dinostar77

Not sure what Checo's issue is. Nobody expects him to fight for the title. But the drop after Monaco is huge. With best car on the grid, to not even come close to the ferraris. Perhaps the other team reduced the gap to RB a bit (max used to finish 20secs ahead start of season) and now his limitations as driver are more pronounced ? If he continues like this I can see him getting axed.
Max was managing the gap and cruising. Hence the message frm his engineer that theres a race going on behind him and they are putting in quick laptimes. Which brundle found disheartening. There wqs no point opening a 20 second gap on a track where there have been many safety cars and red flags historically.

Perez looks like he needs the axe, that 2nd RB should always be in P2 or P3.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Max already knows he is winning the world championship. Being able to “ha ha” almost binning it over the curb just shows how he’s coasting by the season. No fear of his team mate because he’s shite. No fear of other teams because he knows his car is the best.

redshaw

Called for Perez axe last year as he's a woeful second driver. Nothing much has changed but more mistakes in quali, he was getting beat by poor Mercs at points last year and often lapping in that mid that pack after the initial tracks doing well. Bottas had a few tracks he was good against Lewis, same with Perez.

I'm sure Max would like a bit of a challenge. People have derided Lewis beating only Bottas and this is looking like a cake walk. RB don't want to take points off Max but need a decent number 2, like Webber class.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Perez is doing fine enough for Horner and the gang

hobbers

I dont see how P-6 is alright . If he continues like this, he is out even before end of season.
It's only a problem if the constructors is in danger.

He'll be safe this season but will be in danger of replacement some point next season on the current trajectory.

hobbers

With Ricci standing by, I think it might be sooner.
I dont think Horner will be as ruthless as he was back when Red Bull were fighting for second in the constructors.

But if Perez doesnt finish comfortably second this season, it'll be the end of any longer term Red Bull future. As soon as Horner can land a replacement he'll be gone. That might be the point he starts sounding out Lando or even Charles.

dinostar77

I dont think Horner will be as ruthless as he was back when Red Bull were fighting for second in the constructors.

But if Perez doesnt finish comfortably second this season, it'll be the end of any longer term Red Bull future. As soon as Horner can land a replacement he'll be gone. That might be the point he starts sounding out Lando or even Charles.
Leclerc and verstappen in the same team? Would be utter box office. Shame theres no bernie around to engineer such a move.

Whens the last time F1 had such a pairing? Alonso/Hamilton (doesnt really count as hamilton rookie season).

Prost/Senna back in the 1980s?

Mansell/Piquet 1980s?

Jim Clark/Graham Hill 1960s?

Fangio/Moss 1950s?

Its so rare in F1, but its well overdue.

dpansheth

https://scuderiafans.com/f1-ferrari...t-stop-under-safety-car-team-radio-in-canada/

Basically Leclerc and Sainz picked their strategy, that's why it was good.

How many races have been lost because Ferrari cant get it together?

had a question for all here, not being able to follow F1 live races for a while now due to other commitments, I am seeing headlines like Max is parallel to other greats etc.

again no offense to Max fans but I believe he has won 2 championships so far, admittedly driving very well but only 2 so far. Let him go on for another 3-4 championship to put him alongside other greats. Wouldnt that be logical?
I get that he's very young & he could dominate the sport for another 10 years easily. but atleast let him do that.

what am I missing?

dinostar77

How many races have been lost because Ferrari cant get it together?

had a question for all here, not being able to follow F1 live races for a while now due to other commitments, I am seeing headlines like Max is parallel to other greats etc.

again no offense to Max fans but I believe he has won 2 championships so far, admittedly driving very well but only 2 so far. Let him go on for another 3-4 championship to put him alongside other greats. Wouldnt that be logical?
I get that he's very young & he could dominate the sport for another 10 years easily. but atleast let him do that.

what am I missing?
Nothing really. He's on his way to being one of the greatest of his generation. Its still early. You only have to look at Seb Vettel after his first 4 consecutive championships. Who'd have thought he wouldnt win anymore or his career would end the way it did.

F1 is about being in the right car at the right time. Very hard if not impossible to be in the right car your entire career. Alonso is proof of getting in the wrong car at the wrong time.

Sometimes you gamble and it works i.e. hamilton to mercedes. Sometimes it doesnt i.e. danny ric to renault.

Verstappen could be a 4 times WC or a 10 times WC. Its too early to tell. His next move after RB will be the big one. Can max build a team around him and get everyone pulling in the same direction? Im thinking possibly ferrari here. If he can who knows how many more WC he can win?

Could he be the first driver since piquet to win the WC with three different teams? That would be very special.

Or maybe when he hits his early 30s, a new young superstar happens to luck into a car that wins him a few WC's and denies max for a few seasons.

Or he gets a dog of a car for a few seasons.

The only way to truly judge is when a driver retires from the sport. But the world we live in now, cant wait that long.

Therefore hyperbole rules. Everyone is the GOAT or the greatest etc.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
You need moments of greatness. Max is very good. But he still needs some iconic race moments in his bow. He has enough time of course for that to happen.

pacifictheme

Nothing really. He's on his way to being one of the greatest of his generation. Its still early. You only have to look at Seb Vettel after his first 4 consecutive championships. Who'd have thought he wouldnt win anymore or his career would end the way it did.

F1 is about being in the right car at the right time. Very hard if not impossible to be in the right car your entire career. Alonso is proof of getting in the wrong car at the wrong time.

Sometimes you gamble and it works i.e. hamilton to mercedes. Sometimes it doesnt i.e. danny ric to renault.

Verstappen could be a 4 times WC or a 10 times WC. Its too early to tell. His next move after RB will be the big one. Can max build a team around him and get everyone pulling in the same direction? Im thinking possibly ferrari here. If he can who knows how many more WC he can win?

Could he be the first driver since piquet to win the WC with three different teams? That would be very special.

Or maybe when he hits his early 30s, a new young superstar happens to luck into a car that wins him a few WC's and denies max for a few seasons.

Or he gets a dog of a car for a few seasons.

The only way to truly judge is when a driver retires from the sport. But the world we live in now, cant wait that long.

Therefore hyperbole rules. Everyone is the GOAT or the greatest etc.
Max won't move until at least the next rule change and will likely win every title until then. Isn't that 2026?

dinostar77

Max won't move until at least the next rule change and will likely win every title until then. Isn't that 2026?
He may do, but it would be a daming indictment of the failure of F1 rules brought in to stop the dominance by a single team i.e. the reduction of wind tunnel time and CFD the more successful you are.