F1 2023 Season

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I mean he is definitely too far forward. But 5s penalty and he would end up where? Like 5-7th? There’s no way they’ll do it. Because it’s Max.

Leg-End

F1 is hilarious, any criticism and they pretend it didn’t happen.

hobbers

Guess it depends where the sensors in the car are.

Glad there’s a big break now because they need to go away for a month and do some brainstorming to stop the next 20 races ending up like this.

This shitshow makes var look great

They can mute the drivers in the official coverage but a month of uncensored criticism coming up

Ahmer Baig

Audio faded down as soon as the drivers start talking about the red flags in the cool down room.

Dan_F

F1 is hilarious, any criticism and they pretend it didn’t happen.
Football is worse. The FA give out bans for criticising decisions. Although I take your point onboard for the commentators, you can tell they don’t want to say anything negative.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I have been watching some eSports lately (CS). I think it’s a better spectator sport than Formula1 now. It’s a shame.
I have always loved F1. Been watching since i was 8-9 years old. But the last 2-3 seasons with all these red flags has just made me not care as much.
Yeah I'm feeling the same. After 30 years of watching it, I'm losing interest.
This is the second race in a row I've turned it off halfway through after 30 years of never doing that.
The childlike commentary from Croft really gets to me as well

hobbers

'Debris can be a safety concern'.

Not at 50mph behind a safety car, Naomi, no.

Ahmer Baig

Just imagine in last red flag restart, LH had overtaken Max and then stewards decided to give back the positions.

Dan_F

Is there a reason they don’t do rolling starts after a red flag, similar to what we get after a SC?

Abizzz

Is there a reason they don’t do rolling starts after a red flag, similar to what we get after a SC?
Historically rolling starts have always been looked upon as inferior. (Indy 500 and a lot of other great races have no problem doing it though).

hobbers

Just remembered.. Gasly could get a race ban from this. If there's a penalty.

pacifictheme

I have been watching some eSports lately (CS). I think it’s a better spectator sport than Formula1 now. It’s a shame.
I have always loved F1. Been watching since i was 8-9 years old. But the last 2-3 seasons with all these red flags has just made me not care as much.
If you like racing the gt3 series are starting now and all are free on YouTube. Decent racing and the cars look great as its all audi, porcshe, merc, ferrari, mclaren etc. Some races happening this weekend.

Abizzz

So according to the paid mouthpieces Verstappen's tire didn't have any part of the contact patch infront of the white line. Hence it's fair.

As I said, they've all been doing it wrong for 73 years!

(Fecking clowns. The lot of them).

Jerch

So according to the paid mouthpieces Verstappen's tire didn't have any part of the contact patch infront of the white line. Hence it's fair.

It was just on F1 live. It wasn't to far and also Mercedes didn't bother to do anything over it which means they also think it's not something to complain over.

hobbers

Depends on the esport, most of them are abysmal viewing.

avgp_1

Its been that way. Its about the part of the tires that are in contact with the surface

sepulturite

I actually didn't have a problem with how they handled the whole restart situation at the end there, unlike several people on here clearly, by the sounds of what everyone was saying on sky, experts and team personnel, it was the right way according to the rules to restart and finish the race.

Having a red flag so close to the end, I can understand people having an issue with it alright, but I don't really. After the shit show at the end of 2021 I think going with a red flag so close to the end of a race is a good call. It avoids all the crap that happened at the end that race in Abu Dhabi happening in the future, plus it gives the fans who have paid alot of money to go to these races the finish to the race that they deserve......well until sainz fecked it up by causing mayhem and forcing another red flag :lol:

hobbers

Who would have predicted Leclerc being level on points with the Hulk 3 races in. :(

Abizzz

Its been that way. Its about the part of the tires that are in contact with the surface
Ah I forgot about the RB tire where the part that touches the tarmac isn't the middle.

hobbers

Ah I forgot about the RB tire where the part that touches the tarmac isn't the middle.

Can clearly see the difference there

Looks like Gasly wasnt touching the line but it might be skewed by the camera angle since it's not overhead. Maybe he would have got a penalty if he hadnt crashed anyway.

Ahmer Baig

Seems like Lewis' criticism of the tyre warmer ban has been vindicated then with both Max and 'Nando criticising the FIA for having the teams restart on cold tyres.

United Hobbit

Wow didn't see the race as it was so early, but my superbru points were shocking!

Hopefully the same for everyone else not that I'm competitive :lol:

Looks like the race was potentially very interesting! Of course that happens when most of us can't see it live, will want to watch it, hopefully in full, later. Anyone know if it'll be added to now TV on demand?

hobbers

Seems like Lewis' criticism of the tyre warmer ban has been vindicated then with both Max and 'Nando criticising the FIA for having the teams restart on cold tyres.
The problem with red flag restarts is following the safety car round at a crawl on brand new tyres. Clearly can't be done like that any more because it just means a grid full of cars with no grip. At least with a formation lap they get a bit more space to put some heat in.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The problem with red flag restarts is following the safety car round at a crawl on brand new tyres. Clearly can't be done like that any more because it just means a grid full of cars with no grip. At least with a formation lap they get a bit more space to put some heat in.
Quite right.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Dear John Elkann, Give Ferrari to Allegri ‘til the end of the season (and Binotto to Juve for the laugh).

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I mean, that restart was potentially good thing for Hamilton, but Max did well at the start(his positioning helped there too). Two of the best drivers of the day(Sainz and Gasly), made a complete mess after the second restart and only have themselves to blame tbf.

Red flags for those incidents were ridiculous though, especially the first one. How difficult is to clean the surface while the cars go around 40-50mphs every few minutes? It's hardly the toughest job in the world. Pulling the red flag because of safety only to restart the race later from standing start - which itself is probably the most dangerous part of F1 anyway.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why weren't Alpines moved back to fourth and fifth if Alonso stayed third? Which position was Alonso before the red flag/after the Alpines incident?

The Firestarter

They couldn't make a standing start for the second one because there is always one lap before the start without racing , and that always counts as part of the overall race lap count and they were already at lap 58. So it wouldn't be possible.

Wayne's World

So is every incident/retirement going to be a red flag now? Talk about completely ruining the sport If that's the case

laughtersassassin

Mental race. Max got the deserved win.

Feel for Gasly even though I don't actually like him that much. He had a mega race and got screwed by a red flag that never should have happened.