F1 2023 Season

Jerch

This season is as bad as peak vettel when 2 of the four seasons he finished 135points + over 2nd in the championship.

Mercedes era was dull, but rosberg kept hamilton honest and the illegal ferrari of vettel helped. Bottas years were awful.

We just need a lando or someone in the 2nd RB seat to have some sort of inter team battle to keep it interesting. Schmacher had hakkinen as a rival to keep him on his toes for a few seasons.

Max needs someone otherwise its super dull.
Firsty the season is one of the most entertaining in last years. People need to realize that 2021 was exception. Yes you have Max winning but behind him there is a rollercoaster as never before.

Secondly what makes you think that Norris or anyone else would be doing any better than Perez next to Max. He absolutely dominated every codriver from prime Riccardo in his last season when driving next to Max, to Gasly and then Albon. All of them are/were considered the best drivers on the grid. And it's quite clear he progressed a lot as a driver from those seasons. As a Red Bull fan I would love to see Norris in the second car but realistically looking that could be a doomsday decision for Norris if the opportunity comes.

hobbers

The fact Aston went from total shitheap to 2nd fastest car, and then a few races later McLaren went from 9th fastest to 2nd fastest, all in the course of one season, already makes this season a highlight compared to any in the last 20-30 years.

dinostar77

Firsty the season is one of the most entertaining in last years. People need to realize that 2021 was exception. Yes you have Max winning but behind him there is a rollercoaster as never before.

Secondly what makes you think that Norris or anyone else would be doing any better than Perez next to Max. He absolutely dominated every codriver from prime Riccardo in his last season when driving next to Max, to Gasly and then Albon. All of them are/were considered the best drivers on the grid. And it's quite clear he progressed a lot as a driver from those seasons. As a Red Bull fan I would love to see Norris in the second car but realistically looking that could be a doomsday decision for Norris if the opportunity comes.
Not true, they were never considered the best on the grid. RedBull would never put "the best on the grid" in the same team as max as the management of that situation would get very ugly very quickly, just see hamiton and rosberg or hamilton and alonso, piquet and mansell, senna and prost.

Also albon and gasly struggled with the RB back then which was designed around max with a pointy front end and a rear that would snap mid corner and need to be corrected.

There are a number of drivers who could match max in the same machinery and beat him. Some of those are pub conversations i.e. hamilton and alonso. The others it remains to be seen, i.e. leclerc, lando, pisatri if they ever get the chance.

As mclaren progress in last two races shows, F1 is 90% the car and 10% the driver now. Get a good car and you can leap up the grid. Suddenly your drivers look so much better.

Personally i dont give two shits about the rollacoster behind max, i want to see a proper championship battle. So do many people, seasons of utter domination ala schmacher, hamiltomn, verstappen are a massive turn off for many people.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
anyone who drives as number 2 at red bull won’t have any success. the whole team is set up around max.

redshaw

Impressive laps throughout the race by Lando, dropped Piastri like a stone. Piastri was unsure why he dropped away in the post race interview. Maybe you could blame one set of tyres but he had two stops. I think it's just Lando and Max doing quali lap after quali lap which is another level to attain.

pauldyson1uk

mitChley

Not true, they were never considered the best on the grid. RedBull would never put "the best on the grid" in the same team as max as the management of that situation would get very ugly very quickly, just see hamiton and rosberg or hamilton and alonso, piquet and mansell, senna and prost.

Also albon and gasly struggled with the RB back then which was designed around max with a pointy front end and a rear that would snap mid corner and need to be corrected.

There are a number of drivers who could match max in the same machinery and beat him. Some of those are pub conversations i.e. hamilton and alonso. The others it remains to be seen, i.e. leclerc, lando, pisatri if they ever get the chance.

As mclaren progress in last two races shows, F1 is 90% the car and 10% the driver now. Get a good car and you can leap up the grid. Suddenly your drivers look so much better.

Personally i dont give two shits about the rollacoster behind max, i want to see a proper championship battle. So do many people, seasons of utter domination ala schmacher, hamiltomn, verstappen are a massive turn off for many people.
It has been for a long time, 2009 Brawn was a prime example.

Telsim

Couldn't catch the race, but it appears if I've missed nothing. Verstappen utterly demolishing everyone, and being bored out of his mind, I suspect. The price of GOAT status, innit?

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
3 teams in breach of cost cap according to l'equipe: Aston Martin, Mercedes and RedBull

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/226428/l-equipe-on-budget-cap-and-position-red-bull.html
I’d be very surprised if this is true, could just be a French paper defending a French team with a team that’s already broken it, I know they have added more stuff under the cap this season, they really should just implement a luxury tax like the NBA, what ever you go over you pay that again but instead of it going to FIA, it should go in to a pot for the worst placed teams.

laughtersassassin

3 teams in breach of cost cap according to l'equipe: Aston Martin, Mercedes and RedBull

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/226428/l-equipe-on-budget-cap-and-position-red-bull.html
Other reports have said Alpine Aston and possibly Mercedes.

So who knows who the 3 teams are at this point.

Also it all means nothing until we know if these are true breaches or just procedural. Because a procedural breach alone is s irrelevant as it still means your actually under the budget cap.

Last edited:

goalscholes

If it isn’t Ferrari and Mercedes, they need new management. RB have proven that cheating works, so rival teams would be mad not to follow.

Tango80

Even Max himself looks bored with F1 :lol:

The sport is in the gutter. Yes we had Merc dominating in the past, but at least you knew someone else would win a race every now and then. Or even just lead a race for a period to keep it interesting.

This is just same guy winning every race from start to finish. It's a procession, not a race. Wouldn't surprise me if Max either left F1 after a couple of years, or moved to an inferior team.

dinostar77

Proper F1, where the driver could make the difference.

1666 bhp per ton (a bugati veyron is 800bhp per ton for example), manual gearbox and no power steering. Required incredible strength to drive. F1 at its finest. Wild and untamed cars. All down to driver skill, feel and finesse. Not like modern F1 at all, which is so much safer, easier and boring.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Even the pitstops are boring. 2 seconds, in and out, feck off. What happened to the pitstops of old, where they couldn't get a tire out, or they brought the wrong tires, or the fuelling hose caught fire? GIVE ME SOMETHING FFS F1!!

The Firestarter

Even the pitstops are boring. 2 seconds, in and out, feck off. What happened to the pitstops of old, where they couldn't get a tire out, or they brought the wrong tires, or the fuelling hose caught fire? GIVE ME SOMETHING FFS F1!!
While we are at it, bin the pit lane speed limits. Those are highly experienced professionals, they should know how to deal with a car rocketing at 200kph past them.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Even Max himself looks bored with F1 :lol:

The sport is in the gutter. Yes we had Merc dominating in the past, but at least you knew someone else would win a race every now and then. Or even just lead a race for a period to keep it interesting.

This is just same guy winning every race from start to finish. It's a procession, not a race. Wouldn't surprise me if Max either left F1 after a couple of years, or moved to an inferior team.
When Mercedes were dominant, at least we had Rosberg or Bottas who were able to beat Hamilton.

hobbers

Would reflect poorly on Ferrari if Mercedes, RB, AM and Alpine are all getting deeper dives into their accounting while they just breeze through.

pauldyson1uk

Another Sprint weekend at the Belgian Grand Prix.
Qualifying while most are still in work :rolleyes:

Full 2023 Belgian GP session timings
Friday 28 July 2023

Free Practice 1: 12:30pm-1:30pm BST
Qualifying: 4:00pm-5:00pm BST

Saturday 29 July 2023

Sprint Qualifying: 11:00am-11:44am BST
Sprint Race: 3:30pm-4:30pm BST

Sunday 23 July 2023

Race: 2:00pm BST

The Firestarter

Friday 28 July 2023

Saturday 29 July 2023

Sunday 23 July 2023

shite

Lightbringer

Friday 28 July 2023

Saturday 29 July 2023

Sunday 23 July 2023

LOVE sprint weekends. Other weekends I just turn in for Q and ignore practice 1 to 3 completely. (its still mostly Toto & Lewis saying the Merc is the worst car in 50 years after P1, P2 and P3 before having a great Q like this previous weekend - repeat over and over again)

With the sprint I watch more sessions, so its definitely a win win for me. I also just watch the sessions afterwards if busy when it takes place, in todays modern society thats not an issue.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
LOVE sprint weekends. Other weekends I just turn in for Q and ignore practice 1 to 3 completely. (its still mostly Toto & Lewis saying the Merc is the worst car in 50 years before having a great Q like this previous weekend - repeat over and over again)

With the sprint I watch more sessions, so its definitely a win win for me. I also just watch the sessions afterwards if busy when it takes place, in todays modern society thats not an issue.
Bugger off and go ruin another sport

Lightbringer

Bugger off and go ruin another sport, scum.

Why are you discriminating against people who like the sprints? Should not everyone be entitled to their own opinion?

I stopped watched practice sessions in 2006 when Schumacher topped each session while Alonso was saving himself for Q and the race.

But seriously I watch F1 to see drivers compete, not drive around 3 sessions testing, I do get there is some fascination about that but me personally I rather see more wheel to wheel racing!

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Why are you discriminating against people who like the sprints? Should not everyone be entitled to their own opinion?
For most things yes but not for this - the scum was too harsh though. Apologies for that.

pauldyson1uk

LOVE sprint weekends. Other weekends I just turn in for Q and ignore practice 1 to 3 completely. (its still mostly Toto & Lewis saying the Merc is the worst car in 50 years after P1, P2 and P3 before having a great Q like this previous weekend - repeat over and over again)

Then for you the weekend is win win.
The last sprint race was actually OK , I just think they are pointless, FIA are banging with the cost cap and less tyres and wanting to be carbon neutral ( all good , well not the cost cap ) and they decide that on some weekends, they decide to have an extra qualifying and race, along with all the risk they involve and expense if there is a crash.