F1 2023 Season

pauldyson1uk

Max wins by 6.5 second on inters on a wet track :rolleyes: Its not a contest any more
Well done Piastri cracking race for 2nd.
Lewis 5 sec pen is just shocking, it was a racing incident nothing more, WTF were the stewards looking at.

dinostar77

They really need to switch danny ric and perez around now. Perez is a dead man walking.

RepardReece

Perez gave him space on the inside, the whole track in fact, and Lewis just drove into the side of him, clearly caused a collision.

Wonder if there'd be so much throwing dummies out if that happened the other way around. Somehow I think not. :lol:
The fact you're the only one with that opinion says enough.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
You could argue it's a question of car control and Lewis lost it just enough. He did hit Perez and caused damage. I agree harsh but I can see the argument for.

pacifictheme

Quite clearly a racing incident in Hamilton v Perez. It's wet guys.

But the big story is Oscar piastri. It's been obvious for a long time that he would be class in F1 and now he has a car to show it, expect big things from him.

F-Red

They really need to switch danny ric and perez around now. Perez is a dead man walking.
They can't fortunately for Perez, Marko confirmed earlier today that his contract doesn't allow Red Bull to demote him to Alpha Tauri.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
A 30 minute race takes 90 minutes, we have crashes, penalties, retirements, pit stops in a race that doesn't need pitstops and still...

VER #1.

Boring.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
They can't fortunately for Perez, Marko confirmed earlier today that his contract doesn't allow Red Bull to demote him to Alpha Tauri.
They would pay him and agree to do it by mutual consent.A drive is better than no drive or not wanted especially when AT are going to use more RB parts next year. But Perez has sponsorship money so I don’t see it happening unless Perez turns into a lemon or starts crashing which costs money. It’s a next season thing IMO.

Telsim

Not Perez's fault this time, but I can't help but think he is very close to the edge now.

Piastri is impressive. Could be future WDC contender.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
You can only assume the stewards have some data or angles we don’t as that was very harsh on Hamilton it was close racing with no harm done at end of day. That said 5 secs is magnified in a sprint so it should be like a 3 second penalty.

F-Red

They would pay him and agree to do it by mutual consent.A drive is better than no drive or not wanted especially when AT are going to use more RB parts next year. But Perez has sponsorship money so I don’t see it happening unless Perez turns into a lemon or starts crashing which costs money. It’s a next season thing IMO.
He'll be in Red Bull till then end of his contract. Can't see any other changes to Red Bull at the moment especially when they're cleaning up with Verstappen.

hobbers

The fact you're the only one with that opinion says enough.
Says enough about the angry blinkeredness of the thread, yeh. But that's nothing new.

Car behind crashes into the side of another causing terminal damage and gets a 5 second penalty. Big deal.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
You can only assume the stewards have some data or angles we don’t as that was very harsh on Hamilton it was close racing with no harm done at end of day. That said 5 secs is magnified in a sprint so it should be like a 3 second penalty.
Perez had a hole in the side of his car :lol:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I can see why he got the penalty now. I did think it was harsh and perhaps in a way it still is bc its hard to tell if he purposely steers into him or loses it due to track conditions but I assume the steward doc might explain how they saw it. It seems he just loses traction to me and overcorrects when you look at his hands.

hobbers

It's just poor wheel to wheel racing at the end of the day from old Lewis.

laughtersassassin

Starting to lose track of the amount of times Hamilton has understeered into the rear half of a Red Bull haha.

Good day at the track today. Dry 80% of the time but rain just seems to keep perfectly aligning with the F1 sessions more than anything else.

Quali sessions have been the highlight of the weekend so far but the Sprint wasn fairly decent despite the farce with the safety car

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
On another day that could go down as a racing incident for me. Hamilton did understeer and sort of drift into Perez. It was close racing in wet conditions. I don't think think it's a catastrophically bad call, but if they decided it was a racing incident then you could have no problem with that.

Hmm...close one. I'd be inclined to go for racing incident just because I wanna see close racing like that. Close call either way.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Starting to lose track of the amount of times Hamilton has understeered into the rear half of a Red Bull haha.

Good day at the track today. Dry 80% of the time but rain just seems to keep perfectly aligning with the F1 sessions more than anything else.

Quali sessions have been the highlight of the weekend so far but the Sprint wasn fairly decent despite the farce with the safety car
I don't mean to rile people up over this because as I said above I can see this one both ways.

Having said that - understeering does seem like something Lewis does on a frequent basis when racing wheel to wheel -like other drivers have their tactics - but in this particular incident without the telemetry etc it's hard to tell if it was on purpose just purely based on the on-board. Penalties in sprint races probably should be more proportional to the length of the race though. Say 2 secs vs 5 for instance.

dinostar77

I don't mean to rile people up over this because as I said above I can see this one both ways.

Having said that - understeering does seem like something Lewis does on a frequent basis when racing wheel to wheel -like other drivers have their tactics - but in this particular incident without the telemetry etc it's hard to tell if it was on purpose just purely based on the on-board. Penalties in sprint races probably should be more proportional to the length of the race though. Say 2 secs vs 5 for instance.
Thats an excellent point.

dinostar77

Hes also been given two penalty points on his licence.

Though hamilton isnt too fussed, thought it was a racing incident and quoted senna: "..if theres a gap and you dont go for it, you arent racing.." :lol:

Max had a better one (when asked about the spray from other cars) "...well just qualify first and then it isnt a problem..." :lol:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It’s the inconsistency that’s annoying for me. Plenty of times I’ve seen similar incidents not draw penalties. Brazil is a good example last year. It seems to be track to track.

Looking at the Hamilton incident, I can understand why that’s a penalty but I can also understand why it’s a racing incident.

Hamilton has not stuck to the apex but it’s a fast corner and frankly there’s many overtakes where cars don’t stick to the apex if overtaking on the inside. You always try and squeeze the guy outside of you. If you look closely, Perez himself tried to squeeze Hamilton as much as possible. He had more space outside but chose not to because he quite rightly wanted to maintain position. It’s a classic case of two drivers racing wheel to wheel trying to give each other nothing. And sometimes, it ends with a collision. So for me, it’s just racing. But I can also understand that presumably as the man making the overtake and just behind, it’s on Lewis to avoid the collision if you had to place blame.

It’s not as dramatic either way as some of the posters above are making out.

pauldyson1uk

I have watched that vid about 100 times now.
I still think the penalty is harsh and the 2 points on his licence is just has harsh, personal I think it’s a racing incident.
BUT
I can see where they are coming from, it does seem like Lewis turned in slightly. There has been another incident with Lewis being investigated, maybe they decided the 2 together warranted the pen and points
Seen plenty of incidents over the years similar with no penalties.

NM

Yes just heard Horner say that after the race, it wasn’t shown in the race.

And apparently the reason for retiring. But who knows with Horner.
It was said clearly on the broadcast mate. Shocked at the penalty tbh. In the wet that is a racing incident, but Red Bull and radio said it clearly

NM

I have watched that vid about 100 times now.
I still think the penalty is harsh and the 2 points on his licence is just has harsh, personal I think it’s a racing incident.
BUT
I can see where they are coming from, it does seem like Lewis turned in slightly. There has been another incident with Lewis being investigated, maybe they decided the 2 together warranted the pen and points
Seen plenty of incidents over the years similar with no penalties.
In the dry I agree. Surprised they gave it in the wet.

I was going to go to Singapore for a GP this year, but no point.. Red Bull is dominant. Wonder if it will be fun tbh

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
What's the best way to get tickets for foreign races ? I'd love to go to Brazil 2024. I know for this years race it sold out within minutes.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Greatest car this, Red Bull dominant that. The way I see it Max is dominant. If this is the greatest car ever and Perez is a race winner, why can't Perez consistently finish 2nd easily?

Leg-End

Greatest car this, Red Bull dominant that. The way I see it Max is dominant. If this is the greatest car ever and Perez is a race winner, why can't Perez consistently finish 2nd easily?
Because he’s absolutely shit, it happens.

hobbers

Will be interesting to see how Lando copes with going from the McLaren golden boy to 2nd in the pecking order in such record time.

Been saying he needed a proper challenge to raise his game and he’s got one and then some.

laughtersassassin

Yes just heard Horner say that after the race, it wasn’t shown in the race.

And apparently the reason for retiring. But who knows with Horner.
Tbf it was a big fecking hole. Was clearly the reason the car lost any pace it had.

Like Perez was slowish but he wasn't 18th pace slow

United Hobbit

Just watching the catch up programme, feel for those fans stood out on that muddy hill that they didn't get a full sprint that they'd presumably paid money to see. If they'd delayed it another 15 minutes and had the SC/other veichles drive round could they have had a proper start?

Is there not a way of adding better drainage to tracks which struggle with it?

Can tell Martin Brundle was getting frustrated with the FIA faffing, he's of the generation that would have raced in this

Like I say to improve visibility is there a way of adding lights to the rear wings for wet weather? I know there's safety aspects but there's being cautious then there's overkill

Are the "lower" series cars built to the same safety specs as the F1 cars? If the incidents causing the fatalities had happened in F1 would the result have been the same or are safety standards even higher in F1?